Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The Locator posted:

I never even thought of doing these 'chest runs' because in general I don't enjoy that stuff, but I decided what the heck let's do a few before the fix. So I did maybe a dozen during a meeting today (because why not, meetings are useless and I barely listen anyway) and holy crap it's so mind-numbing I have no idea how anyone could devote any significant amount of time to doing that. Sure it gives free loot, but who cares, it's not fun.

I mean it's essentially a free one armed bandit. Even animals can fall for that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rinkles posted:

I mean it's essentially a free one armed bandit. Even animals can fall for that poo poo.

I guess my brain is strange then. Has no appeal at all after the first couple times.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

grinding a demo is the saddest thing I've ever heard of lmao

lol you've never bought a case of rockstar energy to prepare for the launch of destiny 2

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

If you're really upset about them "nerfing a demo grind", then you have bigger issues you need to sort out lmao

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

grinding a demo is the saddest thing I've ever heard of lmao

At least the progress carries over. People did this with Anthem's beta which didn't of course. Humans are strange creatures to desire such monotony.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

If you're really upset about them "nerfing a demo grind", then you have bigger issues you need to sort out lmao

The entire section of the patch notes could be read as the devs saying "We had to nerf this thing before some sweaty grindy nerds spent the weeks after releasing bitching about balance because they have EVERY legendary before the game drops."

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Retro42 posted:

The entire section of the patch notes could be read as the devs saying "We had to nerf this thing before some sweaty grindy nerds spent the weeks after releasing bitching about balance because they have EVERY legendary before the game drops."
The only people who are affected are people with box opening fetishes and who like playing with their system clock. They actually made the enemy type people are farming weaker and also added loot drops to the repeatable missions

virtually nobody is upset and are actually more likely to have every legendary by the time the game comes out, and they will do it by learning how to kill poo poo as quick as possible (which is the object of the game)

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I just find it funny people are spending hours to grind for things you’ll be replacing within 30 minutes of launch when you level up to world tier 6.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

jabro posted:

I just find it funny people are spending hours to grind for things you’ll be replacing within 30 minutes of launch when you level up to world tier 6.
you can upgrade everything to higher levels in the full game

I don't think you can take a level 9 gun to level 50 but even if it's upgradable only like 5-10 levels max you can dismantle it afterwards and put its mods on other guns

and everything demo players are dismantling now is saving its mods for use in the full game

Roman fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 5, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That 30 minute video about the endgame stuff actually has me considering picking this up at launch now, assuming I can get my brother on board to play with me. The demo starts out extremely weak, but by the time I got to the end with my Pyro I wanted to play more. The crafting and modding stuff looks really cool, and the one endgame map they showed also looked really good.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'm hopefully optimistic of the future here just because of the detail and reasoning they laid out in the patch notes. Seems like the devs aren't doing stupid Anthem-ish changes but more reasonable smart things.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Roman posted:

you can upgrade everything to higher levels in the full game

I don't think you can take a level 9 gun to level 50 but even if it's upgradable only like 5-10 levels max you can dismantle it afterwards and put its mods on other guns

Well that sounds like something that should have been in the demo. Thanks for the info.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So after deciding that farming for gear was stupid, but now knowing I could go back and fight Gauss (I didn't realize that before, everything on the way to him was empty so figured he was gone also). I jumped in the game and opened the chest on the way, and out popped a legendary. Lol..

Too bad this is on my Pyromancer instead of the actual sniper/ranged guy, it wrecks stuff.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I like that they acknowledge that the poor captain is getting wrecked. Good patch, even if I'm a little :yikes: about stuff being server-side. There's usually some bullshit component in these games that CE/mods/editors/whatever let you bypass and not having that makes it a little too servicey for me. Of course their loot system doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue, but devs just can't resist that stuff.

Also, hold the phone... since when do repeat quests give rewards? I've only ever gotten the reward popup on first completion. Everything else was a chest, and if chests don't drop legendaries then wat?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Mailer posted:

I like that they acknowledge that the poor captain is getting wrecked. Good patch, even if I'm a little :yikes: about stuff being server-side. There's usually some bullshit component in these games that CE/mods/editors/whatever let you bypass and not having that makes it a little too servicey for me. Of course their loot system doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue, but devs just can't resist that stuff.

Also, hold the phone... since when do repeat quests give rewards? I've only ever gotten the reward popup on first completion. Everything else was a chest, and if chests don't drop legendaries then wat?

there's an option on the character screen to go back in the quest progression

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Mailer posted:

The 'boss' guys in the quests have guaranteed loot drops just like the chests. Can still farm the captain, or Gauss or the end Captain on the quest to watch McCain do his thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

there's an option on the character screen to go back in the quest progression

Yeah, but when I do the quest (and turn it in) again I don't get the three item selection. I thought this was a normal thing to keep you from farming those side missions. I'm not stressed about the chest thing, but I've never had a drop from Gauss or that other guy you execute in a cutscene. There's just a chest there, which seems to conflict with the "chests don't drop legendaries" thing.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mailer posted:

Yeah, but when I do the quest (and turn it in) again I don't get the three item selection. I thought this was a normal thing to keep you from farming those side missions. I'm not stressed about the chest thing, but I've never had a drop from Gauss or that other guy you execute in a cutscene. There's just a chest there, which seems to conflict with the "chests don't drop legendaries" thing.

My understanding is you still get a quest reward, it just goes into your inventory without any notification. I’ve cleared my inventory, turned in a quest and then had a new blue item the few repeats I tried. Sounds like with the patch that item will now have a chance to be a legendary if I read the correctly.

Protagoras
May 9, 2010

Fried Sushi posted:

My understanding is you still get a quest reward, it just goes into your inventory without any notification. I’ve cleared my inventory, turned in a quest and then had a new blue item the few repeats I tried. Sounds like with the patch that item will now have a chance to be a legendary if I read the correctly.

Correct, it goes straight to inventory on repeat completion. After tomorrow it might just happen to be a legendary.

It really should have better indication that you got something, though.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This game was not at all on my radar until this beta. In the modern age of paid beta testing through early access it really speaks volumes about what the developers think of their product that they're willing to do it. And you know what? It's actually pretty fun! It's not like, good, but I can teleport around or slow down time or set dudes on fire and it's a pretty good time!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's not a beta, it's a demo. The final game is coming out in less than a month. This isn't "the game is kind of finished but we're still tweaking and testing", this is what you'll get with the full version.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
i cannot wait for this stupid loving game to come out i'm so excited to play this trash

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I tried the demo on a whim and being able to ignore cover and just cause mayhem teleporting around and turning people to skeletons is more fun than it has any right to be.

Also props for whomever called a revolver space cowboy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What your favorite Square Enix looter shooter? Avengers or Outriders?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Well Outriders isn't actually out yet so

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Hot take: Outriders as a demo is still a better game than Avengers as a whole.

It’s Avengers that is actually the “new Anthem”.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I know you saw me bitching in discord but I honestly agree. I still can’t believe that I logged into Avengers last night with bar-on-the-floor low expectations and still managed to come away disappointed and just uninstalled again.

Hell I’d say Anthem was a better game than Avengers at this point. I at least got 40 hours out of Anthem and had fun (most of the time). I can’t even say that about Avengers.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I still can't get into multiplayer quickly. Just logged out after waiting about three minutes to find a match. I popped into one almost right away earlier today and it was fun.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Soonmot posted:

I still can't get into multiplayer quickly. Just logged out after waiting about three minutes to find a match. I popped into one almost right away earlier today and it was fun.
I don't know if it's simply more people trying out the demo, but the past couple of evenings I haven't had to wait ages for the matchmaker to find me a game - it's definitely more fun when you've got at least another person playing - more badguys, more opportunities to combo stuff and more loot drops.

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

ZombyDog posted:

I don't know if it's simply more people trying out the demo, but the past couple of evenings I haven't had to wait ages for the matchmaker to find me a game - it's definitely more fun when you've got at least another person playing - more badguys, more opportunities to combo stuff and more loot drops.

One very underrated thing about this game is that when there are more people the enemies don't get super spongy, they just add more dudes. Playing with 3 people and teleporting into a mob of 25 guys is hilarious and awesome.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wait are you guys playing with randos or with friends? I haven't had issues with my friends and I joining the same session.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wait are you guys playing with randos or with friends? I haven't had issues with my friends and I joining the same session.
I think one problem with matchmaking could be that most people playing aren't choosing to matchmake with randoms because they're busy killing one captain over and over

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Frustrated posted:

One very underrated thing about this game is that when there are more people the enemies don't get super spongy, they just add more dudes. Playing with 3 people and teleporting into a mob of 25 guys is hilarious and awesome.

city of heroes did this too. More players resulted in more mobs and more stronger mobs, I like that a lot more than the same amount of bad guys just with infinte health

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

i cannot wait for this stupid loving game to come out i'm so excited to play this trash

I'm kinda in the same boat. The gameplay seems fun enough, but man, the writing.

Dear lord this writing.

If its supposed to make me laugh, they're geniuses. If they're actually trying to tell a serious grimdark story here, well...

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Hipster Occultist posted:

If its supposed to make me laugh, they're geniuses. If they're actually trying to tell a serious grimdark story here, well...
watch the end cutscene of the "rescue the lieutenant" mission again and think about it

edit: I also saw gameplay of the full game where you're rescuing a guy trapped in an outhouse by monsters and it's the same tone. so no I don't think it's trying to be 100% serious.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I’m ready to piledrive and suplex Tanner’s dick.

Outriders, coming April Fool’s Day 2021.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Roman posted:

watch the end cutscene of the "rescue the lieutenant" mission again and think about it

edit: I also saw gameplay of the full game where you're rescuing a guy trapped in an outhouse by monsters and it's the same tone. so no I don't think it's trying to be 100% serious.

"why do i even bother" was also what i said when that mission ended

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone try running the demo on older, mid to low range PCs?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frustrated posted:

Warframe does this too, and it is The Correct way of handling it. It tends to not make the game that much harder but makes it way more fun... which is like anathema to service games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rinkles posted:

Anyone try running the demo on older, mid to low range PCs?

it runs bad on everything so, yeah

it runs bad