Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

dogstile posted:

It was so successful that they had no idea how to handle it.

Outriders hasn’t turned a profit and might not ever recoup production costs - PC Gamer, 2 months ago.

Finished Tarya Gratar. I was withholding final judgment on the campaign until I did, hoping that maybe the macguffin at the bottom of the well would provide a satisfying conclusion to the story and make all my sacrifices worth it.

It does not. This might actually be the very worst story mode content ever added to a game that I’ve played. I mean going as far back as Brood War, I’ve never seen a video game just go “all your friends, all your trials, all your adventures, just throw em in the trash and grind for loot you little loot monkey! All your friends are sad and you’ll never see them again!” and then the final cinematic of the game is literally the PC asking a bunch of really awesome and interesting questions about what’s going on, then they take an elevator down into a basement and the game ends without answering a single riddle or mystery

I like this game, my brother and I had an awesome time and will probably play for a few weeks until all our characters are maxed out, but Jesus Christ they took everything I liked about the game’s story, characters, and even the setting and just made all of it infinitely worse. I mean really, I am floored that a team of people who ostensibly like their game and their fans would do something so stupid, it’s like they literally couldn’t think of how to end the story so they just… don’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I wonder if the day one Game Pass inclusion was a net positive or negative.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to assume that it negatively impacted their launch sales but gave a substantial boost to Worldslayer sales because thousands of people who otherwise wouldn’t have played it all are now invested in the game and want more of it.

But even so, PCF haven’t gotten a dime from royalty sales yet which means Squeenix hasn’t recouped production costs. Thanks fully that includes the salaries of the devs who made the game, but they’re never gonna get a windfall or a big payout from their game.

Goddam Worldslayer doesn’t even add a few Expeditions? What?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The funny part to me is that the story introduces a couple of new human enemy types, but then you will never see them again because the one (1) endgame dungeon is all ferals and monsters.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Goddam Worldslayer doesn’t even add a few Expeditions? What?
If I were to guess I'd say that the expeditions we got for the New Horizon update were originally planned to be released with Worldslayer, which in the end meant even less content for the expansion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s kind of absurd that they made 4-5 new maps for the XPac campaign and didn’t even, like, put sidequests in them. I don’t understand how this feels so rushed when they were under literally no expectations of any kind.

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
Any Steam groups or Discords going on for this that people are using? I’ve got to the end, and I’m still in the grind but regular matchmaking is not working for my tech Oman we. I’m getting groups where -3 APoc behind so that gear is mostly useless.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'll chip in my two cents on solo: it's very doable, the final expedition aside. And even then you can probably solo that with Worldslayer using PAX and Ascension levels. I've managed to pull together a Pyromancer build that's pretty drat solid and can handle +1 or +2 world levels higher than my gear average, some of the legendary sets offer some fun playstyles that let you punch above your weight.

The only real mod rec I would give is Phantom Dash, because the fastest way to die is getting swarmed and stuck in a group of enemies and Phantom Dash lets you use your roll to pass through enemies.

Gonna dip my toes into the expansion now, will report back my own thoughts though I can't imagine they'll be much different.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I wonder if the day one Game Pass inclusion was a net positive or negative.

Keep in mind that People Can Fly don't actually know the sales numbers, SE refuses to tell them. All they know is that they were supposed to receive royalty payments if the game exceeded a certain amount of sales, and they haven't seen any. Which could be that the game didn't sell well enough, but since SE is the company that complains about Tomb Raider selling 3.4 million copies, it could be a case of hollywood accounting or a "this game needs to sell 20 million copies before you get royalties."

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My brother and I booted up and ran 2 Expedtions, Eye of the Storm, and Tarya Gratar without dying. Got an absolute volcanic eruption of loot. We lucked out and got a decently geared technomancer who insisted on 100% poison turret uptime so the debuff was always on. While I am bummed as hell about the bad story content, the game is still good and I do really enjoy the build craft and gameplay :unsmith:

Also FYI a full TG clear grants a guaranteed Apocalyptic Legendary item

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

I'll chip in my two cents on solo: it's very doable, the final expedition aside. And even then you can probably solo that with Worldslayer using PAX and Ascension levels. I've managed to pull together a Pyromancer build that's pretty drat solid and can handle +1 or +2 world levels higher than my gear average, some of the legendary sets offer some fun playstyles that let you punch above your weight.

The only real mod rec I would give is Phantom Dash, because the fastest way to die is getting swarmed and stuck in a group of enemies and Phantom Dash lets you use your roll to pass through enemies.

Gonna dip my toes into the expansion now, will report back my own thoughts though I can't imagine they'll be much different.

I was looking at builds and I've seen youtube videos of multiple people doing solo content at apocalypse level 30. I dont know what that is, but it sounds hard so I think solo is probably fine

e: what do I need to be selling and what do I need to be disassembling? And does that even matter before endgame?

zoux fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 2, 2022

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If you're running technomancer:

this mod, plus the blighted rounds build

Thank me later

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

zoux posted:

I was looking at builds and I've seen youtube videos of multiple people doing solo content at apocalypse level 30. I dont know what that is, but it sounds hard so I think solo is probably fine

e: what do I need to be selling and what do I need to be disassembling? And does that even matter before endgame?

Disassemble weapons and armor at benches/equipment upgrader for mods you haven't seen before, otherwise you can sell them money or disassemble them for shards, whichever you prefer. If you want to do all the accolades then you'll need to sell and buy a certain amount of equipment and the easiest way to make money is selling equipment.

Folks have mentioned that you should be able to get mods even disassembling in your inventory but I know I've been burned before (either from a bug or before they made a change) losing some legendary weapon mods when disassembling in inventory so I only do it at the upgrade vendor.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 2, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That is 100% a bug, I dissemble everything right there in the dungeon

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Same. Never missed a mod. Honestly I didn't even know you could disassemble from the bench.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Uh wow I'm sure it's been mentioned before but you can get Legendary Apoc equipment with T3 mods and I just god rolled Etna (t3 eruption mod) on the exact same legendary gloves I was wearing on a new pair. Thanks game!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

so sad

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I finally unlocked the final skill in the PAX tree I wanted and uh, wow. My gameplay has gone from saving Eruption for elites to a lost episode of the Oprah show except instead of cars being given to an audience it's using Eruption on anything that moves.

It's really drat fun. Finished up the Worldslayer story and yeah, that is 100% not worth the 40bux even with the additional endgame content to fight. Some of the new bosses were actually pretty fun though, as well as the new elites but man it sucks you will never really get to see the insurgent elites after the story.

edit: beat Tarya Gratar and uh wow. Worldslayers def not as bad as Dying Light 2's plot but man they were trying towards the end.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 3, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's some kind of balance patch out making the game 10% less grindy! Yay!

Also a bunch of changes to specific skills nodes and mods, but since I can't remember the names of any of them and had no desire to cross-reference them, it was all meaningless to me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I feel great about not being able to play since beating the campaign at launch, I’m only gonna be playing this patched version

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The gist of the patch if they tried to buff all the underused builds and lightly tap the most overused poo poo while rolling some of the nerfed power into base class nodes. They also broke the knees of the Mage's Rage mod cause it was too ridiculous, but rolled some of that back into anomaly power class nodes for all the classes to make up for it.

Overall it didn't change much for my build and even buffed it a bit lol.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

That actually doesn't mean the game didn't make money, that means the game didn't make enough money. It's perfectly possible that SE gave them a ridiculous number of sales goals and they didn't hit it, due to game pass and other problems. This actually happened in a studio I worked in, where we made enough to cover the game and costs (plus a small, but not amazing, profit), but the publisher spent so much on (bad) advertising that we got hosed on a bonus as we needed to cover that too. It's been quite a few years since I worked at that studio but they're still trying to recover from that.

Anyway, i'm basing my comments from "Oh hey, we weren't expecting this, wtf" in response to all the server issues they were having due to them being overloaded. That's also a SE thing, as i'm fairly sure PCR wasn't hosting the servers that were loving up.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Still honestly one of the more baffling decisions that it needs to call home to a server and has everything stored online. It's not a service game but it feels like it was built as one from the ground up until they decided too late it wasn't.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Square's expectations of their western studios always looked weird. The Tomb Raider reboot was infamous for this. Eidos Montreal's founder was recently interviewed, and the topic came up
    Square Enix has become notorious for declaring multi-million-selling games to be disappointments, and D'Astous reports this extended behind the scenes as well. He recalls a meeting regarding the company's financial performance for 2012, where the Eidos group of studios was expected to generate $65 million in profit. Instead, he was told the developers had lost $65 million that year.

"We were dumbfounded," he says. "Especially because my studio didn't have any deliverables for that year."

D'Astous says he began receiving messages from the team, worrying about the fate of the studio, and repeatedly called on management in London to discuss a solution - only to receive silence.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/square-enixs-western-studios-were-a-train-wreck-in-slow-motion

They sold eidos in May for what seems like a bargain

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

IOI also got lucky being able to buy their independence back. Imagine if WB Games bought them…

Agent 47 in MultiVersus! Also IOI is now doing additional development for Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

This game is like really good??

PRO TIP:Nvidia users can pause the game with Ansel.

I didn't have great gear at the time, but this guy was a slog

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Yeah I thought it was really fun when it first came out. I got a little bummed when they proceeded to nerf Tricksters early on, but other than that I think it's a fun game. I feel like they have made some really positive changes (ie making the expeditions completion based instead of time based). One of the best pieces of advice I got about this game is "This game isn't really a cover shooter. The cover is for NPC's" and when I realized that was the case I started to REALLY enjoy it a lot more.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I’d probably throw $10 on the DLC if I ever believed there were builds that didn’t require Fortress. I never got that one to drop.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Getting Fortress was such a loving game changer.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djw6MrDndM4

It's really loving dead.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

SalTheBard posted:

Getting Fortress was such a loving game changer.

My first character was Devestator and I never got one. I never had a chance.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I’m on Devastator because I wanted to relive the glory of Vanguard charging. Though I’m currently more focused on defense and earthquake.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm not even sure I ever got a Fortress and of I did don't even remember it being as crucial as just the right armor set and skill build. The DLC skill tree helped immensely as well, really made Pyromancer a lot more fun when your skill CDs basically became non-existent.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I was excited to have this drop (it was only my second legendary), I remembered seeing it posted during the demo days, but the damage was unimpressive. Idk if I was just aiming it wrong.

And shotguns have a real ammo issue, though I saw that some skill nodes help with that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I was never really impressed with shotguns, but I certainly wasn't specced for them ever. Tbh early Legendaries are just nice to get so you can acquire the t3 mod off and it and slap it on whatever you want. They're outscaled at a decent pace, and upgrading them is prohibitive till later.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I never used guns for damage anyway because I'm not a coward.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Clarste posted:

I never used guns for damage anyway because I'm not a coward.

that being viable is one of the great things about this game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Guns are a great conveyance for setting things on fire as Pyro, but also some of the DoT and on hit mods later on get kinda nuts and scale with anomaly power so why not?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have a Worldslayer question. In the base game you see this gigantic gently caress off monster that I think shoots a lazer out of it's gigantic nose (it's right at the start and you see one in the opening movie). Do you get to fight one of those in the expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You do not. But you can run the same map over and over fighting the same boss up to 3 times in the same map. A boss that looks suspiciously like the Loki from Warframe.