Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

Well all this talk of Devastator being weak at endgame certainly makes me discouraged so I guess I should make a new character before I get too far into the game. That means I’ll need a bunch of blues/purples to transfer my best T2 mods over, so where’s a good farming spot in the first 3rd of the game?

I mean that video of a devastator soloing end game content has been quoted multiple times on this very page, but only play what you have fun with.

victrix posted:

The lack of transmog in these games is just totally baffling to me, I guess its just viewed as too much work for a purely cosmetic feature, but man, come onnnnn

This and being able to recolor your armor are my dream adds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

RatHat posted:

Well all this talk of Devastator being weak at endgame certainly makes me discouraged so I guess I should make a new character before I get too far into the game. That means I’ll need a bunch of blues/purples to transfer my best T2 mods over, so where’s a good farming spot in the first 3rd of the game?

Weak is relative. You can cruise through expeditions up to 10 with good mods armors and a double damage proc gun. I one shot almost every tier from 1-10

Post 10 is definitely harder but doable solo.

They don’t have a face roll build like Techno but they are still solid. The only thing that is lovely is how much bleeds suck.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Lawlicaust posted:

Weak is relative. You can cruise through expeditions up to 10 with good mods armors and a double damage proc gun. I one shot almost every tier from 1-10

Post 10 is definitely harder but doable solo.

They don’t have a face roll build like Techno but they are still solid. The only thing that is lovely is how much bleeds suck.

There's a legendary that mutates conditions into other conditions which might be worth exploiting with bleeds + the mod that spreads statuses on hit?

--

I scrounged up podbux to by The Juggler with a fancy looking mod that turned out to be rear end garbage - first shot out of a reload shoots a projectile that does 'big' damage. Figured it would work well on a single-shot gun, and it does, sort of... Except its a weird rear end grenade projectile that doesn't go where your bullets go, and the damage is middling at best. Ah well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

RatHat posted:

I'm not disagreeing that the other classes have much higher damage, but it's not impossible to make Devastator work at endgame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IjWu9d-UrU

Are there really no endgame builds for other classes that don't use the ammo skills?

Lol at that dude... He doesn't need infinite ammo because he barely uses any, just enough to get his procs. Hrmm... kinda chilly in here, think I'll just stand around in this flame vortex while I fight this big group of dudes..mmm... warm and comfy..

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Punch punch punch punch punch.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Clarste posted:

This looks amazing. Can you post the build?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

victrix posted:

The lack of transmog in these games is just totally baffling to me, I guess its just viewed as too much work for a purely cosmetic feature, but man, come onnnnn

A simple mog system (having a slot that you put armor in that makes it display that model while another slot gives you the actual stats) isn't that hard if you program it in from the beginning, which is why its so baffling to me

Nothing keeps weirdos like me coming back like the ability to get more outfits and poo poo; even DOOM Eternal got this

e: also I enjoy the 0 after time spent in cover in my Expedition summary screens, every time. The Division this is not.

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Apr 7, 2021

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Are quest rewards fixed? If so, any technomancer who has just got to trench town and is looking for a good crowd control weapon for a blighted rounds build could do far worse than the LMG reward for one of the first two bounties available (hannibal or the perforator I think, can't remember which).
Swap out the shield mod for freezing rounds, and with the hot blood mod on there, blighted rounds specced to apply vulnerable, and the armour mod that gives 30% mag back on kill, for every enemy you gun down you get an ammo refill, and apply freeze, burn, toxic and vulnerable status to his 3 nearest friends. It's pretty good.

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010
Yesterday I found a nice Trickster combo: your skill Tainted Shells is active until your next reload. The class II weapon mod Perpetuum Mobile fills up your magazine again when you kill an enemy with less than 30% ammunition remaining. This does not count as a reload.

That allows me to keep Tainted Shells on my trusty shotgun indefinitely :cool:

e:

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Are quest rewards fixed? [...]
I don't think they are fixed, I killed some of the bounty or big game targets on my way through the zones, turning them in way later at level 30, and the rewards were all level 30 items. So at least they scale to your level.

Xenthalon fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 7, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Here's a fun bug. Play MP with some friends. Make sure all the guests have their big hunt / assassin missions completed. Have the host reset the quest line. Go and do all the quests. When the guests turn in the rewards, the game will see that they have the quest line finished, so you will get a legendary. Each time. For all 10 turn ins.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Any fun Pyro builds?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AndrewP posted:

Is this to say that I should be dropping my Tier down to the point where I can just roll through areas with ease? Because that doesn't seem like much fun

Roll through enemies with ease isn't the idea, but using cover and killing 1-2 enemies while you regen far away isn't, either. Usually, when I struggle with an area I just keep going at it until I get it on my 5th or 6th try. Since enemy spawns are always the same and the checkpoints for the areas are very close (usually, I had one that spawned me in the previous area and it was annoying) I think it's perfectly fine to take a couple tries to learn the pattern and ideal path to take in a challenging fight. It's actually one of the things I've enjoyed about the game! I've had to switch my approach a couple of times but I've never lowered my WT!

I think the cover system in this game works against it. My first impression of the demo was that the game felt bad because the cover system loving sucked. You never go into cover at the place you meant to, sometimes you want to roll and instead you slowly jump over an obstacle, or even the other way around sometimes. Definitely much worse than, say, Division. Then you learn that, unlike Division, you're not supposed to be playing around cover that much and it clicks. But I think it's completely natural to try and play the game as a cover shooter once you start and that makes the first impression much worse.

Xenthalon posted:

Yesterday I found a nice Trickster combo: your skill Tainted Shells is active until your next reload. The class II weapon mod Perpetuum Mobile fills up your magazine again when you kill an enemy with less than 30% ammunition remaining. This does not count as a reload.

Yep, Perpetuum is insane and my whole build depends on it. Going crazy for an infinite amount of time with a pump shotgun doesn't get old, although it does feel as it's the One True Build.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

This looks amazing. Can you post the build?

Uh, I'll try I guess.

Here's my current class tree. It was a little different at the time of the previous damage log; basically I moved a point from bleed damage into "increase anomaly power by 45% after using a protection skill" and replaced Impale with Golem. Not sure if that's better yet, I'm still trying it out. Basically Impale was the weakest link so I thought maybe I could replace it.

Here's my gun. I've found vulnerable to be incredibly powerful, and the other mod is just the strongest flat damage weapon mod I have. I don't shoot, like, continuously very often so the 3 second duration isn't a huge problem for me.

Bleed on Golem is pretty useful as part of a combo that keeps me alive. I'll talk about that when I get to the other part of it. I don't care about Vulnerable on Melee-kill at all; it just happened to be on this helmet. Theoretically it's nice, but you really need vulnerable for elites and bosses where you can't reliably punch someone to death every 10 seconds.

Martial Arts is obviously a key mod here. Basically I am spamming punch every 1.5 seconds or whatever, and trying to weave in other skills between (with some shooting too, obviously). Damage Absorber is... well, I've been keeping it around for the survivability for a long time now, but honestly I don't know if I really need it. I was considering replacing it with something that gives me more damage when I get the chance to.

Seismic Impulse and Untamed Power are both amazing for a melee build, obviously. Untamed Power procs off of melee attacks too, it's technically a "skill".

Earthquake does more damage, yay! That's pretty cool since it has a short CD. The auto-golem is the other half of the golem-bleed combo I mentioned earlier. Basically, if you ever get into critical you will automatically proc bleed on everyone around you, which will probably heal you up to full instantly. This works even if you don't have the Golem skill equipped at all. That said it's a defensive move that costs 2 mod slots so I think it can be questioned.

Heal on Earthquake is totally pointless. That just happened to be there. Brawl is obviously mandatory for punch damage. Unfortunately the way it stacks with the class skill is that they both add 100%, for 300% total. Instead of stacking multiplicative for 400%.

Big punches! Usually I do more because of Vulnerable and maybe the Golem Anomaly power buff. I've seen up to 200k when the stars align. But basically you do 100k+ every 1.5 seconds, plus another 30k from Untamed Power. Mixing in other skills when available for some extra damage while punch is on CD. I don't think this build is OP or anything, but it's pretty fun and has taken me to rank 14 at least. Also it could definitely use improvements, and doesn't require any legendaries whatsoever (or rather, most legendaries kind of suck with it; the melee Devastator set seems especially useless to me ).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I am really bad at videogame. Yesterday I made my Trickets unkillable, taking the whole middle tree, and a lot of armour related perks and a weapon that generates armour from shots. Unfortunally I had 1/5 the potential damage, so completing a expedition took too long, but made almost unkillable (If I have ammo).

My build sucks, but let me do high content that is imposible otherwise to me.
My build is would suck less with a weapon with 40% of extra damage based on your armour + the perk to get armour from shots. Unfortunally getting that exotic weapon drop is almost imposible. Since I have finished the game I have received exactly zero exotics. I guess the droprate is superlow.

Clarste posted:

What the gently caress!?

Tei fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Apr 7, 2021

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Clarste posted:

~~cool build~~

I'm wholesale copying this to try it out. Looks fun as hell.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Clarste posted:

:stare:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, uh, for the record it sucks against birds. A lot. Because I can't hit them with anything but pot shots until they land for 2 seconds every so often.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 7, 2021

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This is a perfect b tier game. Reminds me of the time before everybody robotically hyper analyzed everything and repeated whatever the general consensus is.

Rocking Devastator and exploding everything is fun as gently caress, as is the meat explosions from shotgun kills. With the death of Gears I'm getting my gore fix.

Am am I supposed to be using DX12? Or DX 11? I've fixed the hitching (I think?) but still get drops. I have a 2060 and Ryzen 5 2600x.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a way to save and switch between different loadouts I’m missing?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Xenthalon posted:

I don't think they are fixed, I killed some of the bounty or big game targets on my way through the zones, turning them in way later at level 30, and the rewards were all level 30 items. So at least they scale to your level.

They scale to your current world tier when you turn them in. Note that this is only your tier, if you join a game it'll use what you were set at.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Skyl3lazer posted:

They scale to your current world tier when you turn them in. Note that this is only your tier, if you join a game it'll use what you were set at.

The bounties/hunts really scale to when you turn them in and not the tier when you killed them?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So going by this thread, Perpetuum Mobile and mods to <x> Rounds are the only mods that actually matter at all, is that right?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm still working through the campaign but Brain Eater (crits don't consume ammo) on a single shot rifle has been my jam.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

So going by this thread, Perpetuum Mobile and mods to <x> Rounds are the only mods that actually matter at all, is that right?

not at all.

is true the the easier builds are about better outtime and damage for <x> Rounds, but I think gimmicky builds are possible, not sure how competitive on tier 14 expeditions.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Bardeh posted:

Dude spent the entire game in World Tiers 3-5 which is ridiculously easy babby mode, and then complained that he didn't need to switch skills or engage with the modding system, which is a huge part of what makes this game cool.

Surely the game is ridiculously easy from somewhere around the forest if you are on WT5? I finished on WT10 as 8 became a cakewalk.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 7, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

still having a hell of a hard time in the mountains on WT4, tbh :(

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Tei posted:

not at all.

is true the the easier builds are about better outtime and damage for <x> Rounds, but I think gimmicky builds are possible, not sure how competitive on tier 14 expeditions.

IDK it seems like there is a design flaw where they have managed to make the optimum way to play (or at least, very effective and pretty easy) be around bullet boosting that doesn't apply to one class.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Floppychop posted:

I'm wholesale copying this to try it out. Looks fun as hell.

Same. I’ve had the same build for a while for clearing upper tiers and it would be nice to change it up.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

uncle blog posted:

Is there a way to save and switch between different loadouts I’m missing?

Negative. The Devs responded to the question of loadouts early in the Demo and said it wasn't something that was planned at launch but might happen in a future update, but they weren't willing to commit. Loadouts would be sweet but I'm in the Transmogrification would be even sweeter camp.
Now that I've dinged WT15 I'm going to get some more Expeditions under my belt, and apart from my appearance I'm pretty happy with where my Technomancer is at - Devastator is looking like a good candidate to try next.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 7, 2021

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

For Trickster that is correct, but the other 3 classes have their own ways of going infinite without it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

PSA: There's still a problem with inventory disappearing and it seems to be tied to multiplayer, so it's best to play solo for now until the devs address it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Roll through enemies with ease isn't the idea, but using cover and killing 1-2 enemies while you regen far away isn't, either. Usually, when I struggle with an area I just keep going at it until I get it on my 5th or 6th try. Since enemy spawns are always the same and the checkpoints for the areas are very close (usually, I had one that spawned me in the previous area and it was annoying) I think it's perfectly fine to take a couple tries to learn the pattern and ideal path to take in a challenging fight. It's actually one of the things I've enjoyed about the game! I've had to switch my approach a couple of times but I've never lowered my WT!

I think the cover system in this game works against it. My first impression of the demo was that the game felt bad because the cover system loving sucked. You never go into cover at the place you meant to, sometimes you want to roll and instead you slowly jump over an obstacle, or even the other way around sometimes. Definitely much worse than, say, Division. Then you learn that, unlike Division, you're not supposed to be playing around cover that much and it clicks. But I think it's completely natural to try and play the game as a cover shooter once you start and that makes the first impression much worse.

Yup I definitely get it now. I just wasn't understanding how the health regen system was working before, but I think I see how you're supposed to be playing this game now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hey game developers, you know how a lot of you have taken out a "crouch" button but left in the "cover" button? Get this, leave all that cover exactly how you've built it but just replace the cover button with a crouch button. Yes I'm sure you've worked very hard on the shooting and movement animations while the character is in cover but no one actually cares.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did the final expedition when some randos joined my game because I forgot the set it to private. poo poo is pretty tough, new minibosses that stick to you like glue.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Here's hoping for a meaty balance pass on ammo skills vs the rest.

https://twitter.com/Outriders/status/1379818749105217540?s=20

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Really hope they buff the other powers to compensate rather than nerf the ammo skills. If ammo skills get nerfed i think a lot of the expeditions at higher tiers are going to become unfun to solo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

While I enjoy the game a good bit, and am having fun, some things about the game just bug me because I'm OCD.

The anomaly destroys all electronics so there are no 'tunes' in my truck because the radio won't work and I have to go scrounge lithium from old batteries... but I'm magically in radio communication with everyone else on my 'team' on the planet at all times...

Lots of little things like that which only matter to stupid OCD people probably, but the game is good fun.

Taking a break from my Devastator who is at the forest encampment now about level 20 and starting to level up my Technomancer a bit. Just got the mini-gun and it's okay, but obviously needs some mods to make it shine like everyone talks about.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.

The Jumpoff posted:

Really hope they buff the other powers to compensate rather than nerf the ammo skills. If ammo skills get nerfed i think a lot of the expeditions at higher tiers are going to become unfun to solo.

exactly. there's no pvp or leaderboards, let us be powerful outriders, instead of nerfing everything that gets popular so it is a slog

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Outrider detected

Unf unf unf unf unf

Outrider detected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Clarste posted:

Oh, uh, for the record it sucks against birds. A lot. Because I can't hit them with anything but pot shots until they land for 2 seconds every so often.

Yeah, I gave the punch build a go and swapped over to an earthquake build because weirdly enough that skill hits flying enemies.

One i get the legendary mod to punch the ground 2 more times i'll be doubling my damage. It's a fun build and i'm basically invincible (thanks heal on bleed) but waiting around to find that mod sucks.