Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I was pretty stoked because a cross-play PC/Xbox co-op game is gold in our household. Then I went searching for the thread because I thought it'd be hilarious if ICR gave it the kiss of death. It's good to know we're all on the same page.

Stormgale posted:

I still legit admire "this is a finished game" is a selling point. Also the class explanation videos were pretty clear and fun.

"No live service elements"... "a complete game out of the box"...

The word you're looking for is "normal". It's a normal game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I love The Division 2 because it shows how a company can do wrong, then learn from it and do right, then develop a weird learning disability and veer so far back into wrong while loudly screaming about how good it is that it's made me swear off Ubisoft forever. Anthem was inherently trash, but Massive had to put in the work to be terrible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Will have to watch the recap tomorrow. Hopefully it has some actual content in it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

the best part of that announcement is that it only came out after the quarterly conference call where ubisoft said that yes we're totally not dropping division 2 even though everything in game pointed to this being the very last content for the game.

"Let's ban thousands in the most petty attempt at retribution against players for the crime of having fun in our game" is still the weirdest take I've ever seen. I haven no idea why Ubisoft didn't step in there.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

You know, if you called your video "What to expect in the demo" instead of "Top 10..." I'd have probably clicked on it earlier instead of thinking it was clickbait.

Tensokuu posted:

I'm pretty sure of all the games you've managed to get me to buy, I've never actually seen you in game. I'm starting to feel like you're the monorail salesman from The Simpsons.

ICR's shilled threads for Avengers, Anthem, and Division 2 and by gum it put them on the map!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Why are people talking about Div2 like it was a bad game?

It was a bad game. Then, after over a year of walking it back, it became kind of a good game like Division 1 eventually became. Then they released an expansion that made it awful again, and kept doubling down until it died. Combined with the smuggest of twitter bullshit and the single most pointlessly vindictive ban I've ever seen, it's the worst in the ICR thread trio by far.

Like Avengers and Anthem were just raw incompetence trying to sell on hype, at least.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I mean, to be fair, I haven't played since the ban and they may have finally flopped through enough "No the game is perfect git gud" to "Upon further feedback..." cycles to make it fun again. Maybe Heroics are a thing that's doable again and they abandoned their MMO roles idea. Maybe loot drops outside of the difficulty you need the loot to complete like it did before WONY. Hell, maybe they even made it worth going to the New York map. I cashed out long before that.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

As soon as I heard crossplay this part of it was predestined. You need external auth that isn't backed by a behemoth already in place, an no one ever scales this stuff appropriately. I'm sure by the time I wake up people will be in and bitching about the actual game. :v:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Considering the video I watched that made me interested was the post-game one I'm wondering if they didn't just feed people the worst part of the game for a demo. They kind of had to, what with progress carrying over, but very few posts are talking about the loot/powers and the bulk of them are cutscene/story complaints. That's really weird for a loot game.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Wh40k Darktide will actually be good though :colbert:

A Fatshark game is on the list? Ok, ICR is definitely just clowning at this point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The autoloot stuff is weirdly named, that's for sure.

Played through to the town, where I stopped to wait for multiplayer. The only interesting (I assume static) drop during the tutorial was a gun that made people explode when you killed them. That was cool, and it's what this game should be showing off upfront instead of the horrible cutscenes/voice work and shakycam.

Good:
* Healing due to proximity makes Devastator fun
* Very clear progression path
* Special items with mods on them seem to have cool effects instead of "+1 Accuracy" or whatever

Bad:
* Sprinting is the Gears roadie run
* Devastator doesn't get spikes in the demo :(
* Anything where a character talks
* Cover in a game that seemed to be billed largely on "gently caress cover, go kill something"

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Beat the mainline, but still have two quests to go. Finally started getting some blue drops so I'm seeing cool mods. Life leech being a thing is kind of worrying in terms of an endgame. They really need to speed up selling. This is a loot game and you'll have so much trash that spending six seconds on each sale means minutes of click-and-holding on each individual item.

It has intrigued me enough to probably give it a spin with a couple of other classes. The moment-to-moment gameplay isn't as peppy as I'd like but the abilities are fun. It's the kind of mindless unlocking that I could spend hours playing with my wife and that ain't bad. Solid 7/10. It'll be an 8/10 if the postgame is compelling.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Namaer posted:

Trip report after finishing all the demo content:
Game feels exactly like Division 2 with a tiny bit of Doom 2016 combat tacked on.

Pretty much, though I feel like the abilities are a lot more fun to use than Division's gadgets and the classes are way more unique. It's not going to blow anyone out of the water but I've also played hundreds of hours of Deep Rock Galactic so I'm willing to shoot aliens with friends. Plenty of unlocks and trees to advance.

Cross-platform uses codes, which sucks, but worked great out of the box aside from that. Could probably solve it by building in a Squeenix friends list so you'd only have to exchange codes once. Not a deal-breaker, especially given how stable it was, but an annoyance that shouldn't be there.

If people are approaching this as some sort of Destiny GaaS psuedo-MMO thing with clans and raids and whatnot... this ain't that. This is Diablo. You go out, kill stuff, and hope to bring back loot. If other people are there you don't need to synchronize watches or plan who's going to touch the macguffin during phase 4 of the raid boss.

ICR posted:

Y'all didn't even add comms to your multiplayer always online game.

This was an optimization. It means you don't have to spend the few seconds of menu work to forever disable it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

For me, personally, the game will stand or fall with the depth of it's loot pool and if characters can be built in multiple fun and unique ways.

That's pretty much it. You only start getting mods right at the end, and it's only one mod, and I haven't seen a way to change them around on gear. I give a lot of poo poo to Division 2 due to how it started and how I left it, but in that sweet spot in the middle it was a great bit of fun chasing that one amazing gun with XYZ stats on it. That's what I'm looking for here. Give me a bunch of unlocks, a constant need to have more dakka, a reasonable path to get said dakka, and that's enough for me.

All I really got from the demo is someone thought they were making a very AAA cinematic game and somehow managed to cast Bro McDouche as the male lead voice.

Also I've only played the Devastator and Pyromancer so far but it feels like they really locked the best poo poo behind the final four skills. Chalk up another thing the demo is bad at.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

A better approach would have been a curated couple of missions with either preset high level characters or somewhere in the middle where you can get a chance to mess with mods/crafting or whatever the intended grind loop is meant to be.

Curated demos are a resource drain but here it's so desperately needed that I'd have a hard time arguing it wasn't justified. At this point you might as well write the metacritic reviews.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

If higher difficulty forces you in to cover constantly I feel like the gameplay will be Very Solidly Not Good. While right now it feels pretty fun.

I definitely preferred Dev's "heal for killing stuff near you" to the Pyro's "try to inflict fire on things THEN kill them". Especially since the Dev gets a hugely satisfying flying rock slam to get into range and the Pyro just... kinda gets shot until there's a nearly enemy to yoink. I assume healing on <kill in some fashion> is universal, which kinds of dicks with boss fights unless they keep spawning mooks.

Hammerstein posted:

All the blue stuff you find has a mod and supposedly they get saved when you deconstruct them. But since we cannot craft in the demo there's a bit of a "maybe" attached to that.

I mean it's sold on that, and they made a huge video featuring it, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and just say crafting/recalibrating/whatever was left out in the tutorial section they gave us. You don't even find armor that messes with your skills until the very end, so by the time you might have theoretically collected a set that turns Skill X into a blender the game is over.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Martout posted:

My 4-year old could jump that gap with no effort, come on!?

Oh sure, but could your 4-year-old clear a two-foot pile of twigs and small branches? Some things just require a genetically altered superhuman!

jabro posted:

I would have more hope for this game if it was by an Ubisoft dev who have a history of supporting their games that start out poo poo and improve them.

I don't know if the Ubisoft model of duping enough people into a purchase in order to fund further development is a model you really want to encourage.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 27, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jesus Trickster is overpowered in the demo. It's basically the same as the Devastator, only instead of a weak damage ability and a weak armor spell you get a sword that autokills (with aoe explosions on death) and a time bubble that is combination invulnerability and free headshots for the duration. Granted, I did get an AR that generates shields on every hit and that combined with the bubble meant nothing ever hit me, but drat. Just teleporting all over the field murdering dudes as an unstoppable killing machine is fire better than the other two I've played.

Last to try is the Technomancer, though I suspect from what everyone has said in this thread I won't have a great time.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Update on the Migraine, I actually got it to proc - the mod description on the gun is all wrong. The anomaly bomb is not a guaranteed effect every 3 seconds (on kill), but a very low % chance to proc every 3 seconds. Which makes it useless, since you want the bomb to go off in the middle of a pack, but most of the time either nothing, or the wrong baddie, will explode.

Thank you for putting in the crazy effort to dig into the actual game. I was tempted to try pushing world tier as high as I could but after a bunch of clears WT5 is only half full. Probably more efficient to roll the gun shop rescue quest over and over or something.

You've obviously put in way more time than I did but your WT meter seems awfully low. Did it wrap around again after finishing 5 or something? I did a few runs through and I'm about halfway to 6. PCF tweeted that it caps at 5 so I assume it's just going to stop letting you get points at the end of the bar. Edit: That's exactly what happens.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 28, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Found this:

I can't make cool gifs, but the health on crit looks like it works. The lightning has an internal cooldown of around a quarter second, but it still shreds everything.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Finished the demo with a Pyromancer. Soloing is rough as poo poo with Pyromancer, there's just so much incoming fire that you can't rely on killing marked enemies alone, there was a lot of managing the one skill that immediately heals you.

Devastator and Trickster both share health on proximity kill and a skill that lets them jump right into the middle of things. I don't think it's any coincidence that people playing the other two classes are finding the game more cover-shootery and slow. Everything is a mook, with two non-boss elites in the entire demo, so the game is weighted towards whomever can kill mooks the fastest and that heavily favors the two classes who can teleport in.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

idk that the game's prospects were so rosey before. the demo got my attention, at least.

This wasn't the AAA big budget release SE was betting all the cookies on. It just seems that way because this is a thread by The Anthem Thread Guy.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

There was a boss here. It's gone now.
https://i.imgur.com/YhUpu2k.mp4

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Locator posted:

Why do I need to sign into your online auth service to play the game I gave you money to play?

In most cases? Cosmetic microtransactions. In this case? Crossplay.

Hammerstein posted:

Trickster completely clowns on the guy. Teleport in and shotgun him in the face with Twisting Bullets within your Time Bubble. When he teleports out, switch to a longer range gun and keep closing the distance, as soon as Twisted Bullets come off cooldown he's toast.

I ran him a few times with my setup and the deciding factor on time was whether or not he teleports, which seems to be linked to range. Killing him fast meant bubbling so you were standing on opposite ends of the bubble and only teleporting to him when he was casting. I could probably get faster but at that point I realized I'm speedrunning a demo and stopped.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Roman posted:

It's nice for keeping matchmaking populated but it's in beta and totally random right now (when it works). I would hope they make some kind of crossplay friends list system like CoD

This is absolutely needed. The dumb friend code system worked flawlessly when the wife and I were playing, but it's still dumb and a small amount of effort to allow for locking in crossplay friends (even if it required the code once) would be good. I'm sure there's a bazillion rules they have to follow for crossplay stuff so maybe this is the compromise, but it feels bad.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Whether you consider this a positive or negative is up to you---personally I hate forced always online whatever the reason--- but one thing it should prevent is the situation in BL3 where you're really likely to run into to players with hacked gear (even with insane, impossible stats, because there's no sanity checking).

Pretty sure that's not happening. The SE server tracks stats and matchmakes but I'd bet good money that's it. Trying to track state and sanity check aren't worth it unless part of the game relies on it (microtransactions, leaderboards, etc) and this isn't a service game.

Thank christ BL2 didn't state check because playing through the OP levels without save editing updates to your gear would be borderline impossible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The Locator posted:

The Pyromancer just isn't equipped to deal with that very well and I died a bunch of times before I managed to get through that. Once you hit level 6 and get the 4th skill I think that would be a lot easier, but the timing is wrong and you don't have that when doing this part.

The 4th skill does big damage, but only when used on people already on fire. It's also a point blank aoe, so they need to be on fire AND right next to you. It's pretty underwhelming. Deva's bullet shield is also pretty lame. They really should have included the pyro's hard aoe CC, since that would help with a lot of issues the class has.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

There's a lot of damage gating. I assume it's to keep people from being stunlocked to death. It was funny trying to suicide for the legendary run and watching a small army of goons melee me in the middle of a hail of bullets and just keep standing there.

Played Tech and that's all of them for me. The ice turret is more or less just a decoy, since enemies can deftly avoid it by moving at a normal pace to the left/right by shooting. It tracks through walls, which means it also decides to shoot at the guy behind cover instead of the two guys rushing you. The rocket salvo turret is super cool the one time you manage to line it up just right to catch a bunch of enemies but doesn't do enough damage to kill most of them. I never got the poison bullet skill, but it's just better bullets so... yeah.

Looking at the skill mods in the wiki it looks like they were really going for support on Pyro (leaning towards debuffs) and Tech (healer) which... doesn't really work in these games. It's a situation where I could definitely see them making it so at world tier 10 or whatever the game goes rapidly downhill. The enemies are so bulky you need a pyro to boost damage and of course you need an augmented Impale on on Dev for the armor and health boost with a Tech spamming heals... and the Trickster is suddenly poo poo after pretty much soloing all content before that. I don't know why devs keep trying to inject roles into games without explicit roles because it's never a good idea.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Roman posted:

The devs have been stressing this is NOT some long term live service game, it is a game meant to be finished. Judging it for "longevity" is looking at it the wrong way.

The best part about this game existing is seeing the internet try to wrap its collective hivemind around the idea of a non-GaaS release. Like the idea of a game not stuffed with crap to drive an engagement metric is so foreign that beating the content is considered a failure.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

A ping system, or at least a red/green outline to let you know where other people are, would be good. It seems that'll go away in the postgame, though, with no chests to pick up in expeditions. Expeditions being speed-based will remove the farm-in-this-corner-for-an-hour problem as well, so I wouldn't imagine a whole lot of chatter is needed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

So they're the Greater Rifts (Diablo 3) of Outriders?

Well, without the leaderboard competitive element and with a definite ending difficulty, yeah. The closest analog would be the OP levels from Borderlands 2. Your level stays, gear level and enemy level goes up, better loot rarity percentages, etc. To continue that analogy there are also 14 curated missions, instead of one Digistruct Peak in BL2, and they unlock progressively as you complete them.

I really liked Digistruct Peak, but with the caveat that getting the one gun you need with the right element and all the right parts was effectively impossible. Unless you hated your life you cracked open a save editor every time you beat it and leveled all your gear up by 1. Given how guns are so instrumental to builds, I hope the devs here have figured out a way around that. Other action rpg lootfests have definitely, to different degrees, adopted systems that makes it possible to work with a not-quite-perfect item instead of trashing it.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ZombyDog posted:

So while there isn't a transmogrifying system, presumably you can hang onto your favourite outfits and weapons, and at the cost of resources you can keep them viable for the late game.

It looks to be heavily lifted from Div2, which is good. The recal change is one of the very few things I liked about WoNY. It'll probably still be a situation where you want to use legendaries, because they come equipped with a really good unique mod and then you can recal another really good unique mod on there. Mostly I'm hoping for a way to level your legendary level 40 Big Dongus Shotgun to level 41. This is the BL2 situation where the gun was part of the build and refarming 100% of your gear every difficulty upgrade wasn't feasible.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Roman posted:

yes it's in the video about 7:00 in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMXIh0nKc4

Huh. It was at 07:44 and I still had to watch it a few times before it clicked. It's relatively simple, and I get it now, but somehow mushed in with the other options it didn't seem that way. I think I was still hanging on this bit from earlier where he talks about scrapping a lower-level legendary... which (unless legendaries drop like pre-nerf BL3) is really not something you want to do. Good stuff, though!

Retro42 posted:

It just occurred to me that this will be one of the first FPS games I've played in a looooong time that will have a complete story and not "Stay tuned for Season Two" bullshit.

Even if this game never releases, the fact that it has broken the internet by not being a live service is worth it. "What, no pre-release announcement of DLC? Game is a failure" is something I've seen unironically multiple times.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Masonity posted:

Yeah, D3 wasn't as big a failure as FFXIV or No Man's Sky at release, but really should be mentioned in similar breaths as an unreal turnaround. How a similar game which desperately needed exactly that calibre of turnaround ignored it... Is baffling.

D3 deserves the poo poo it gets for the drop rates, (RM)AH, Inferno and pretty much all the live service stuff. I don't think the original team gets enough credit for the objectively good design decisions in the game, which is almost everything the D2 playerbase considered negative. Like it was poo poo, and is still poo poo in a lot of the ways live service games all are, but there were definitely things that other games need to learn from.

Roman posted:

Considering how good having all build-complementing blues are, plus the crafting info from the video, I'd say loot is actually looking really good. The insane people who are grinding for legendaries in the demo and dismantle all their crap are going to have a ton of mods for crafting

Having the mods not shared across in the stash is literally my only complaint with the described system. I mean if the stash exists then it's probably for gear transfer, and gear transfer means the guy with all the mods can do it for anyone anyway, so why not just cut out the middle man? The only way I can see this making sense is if modding an item locks it to a specific character, in which case the mod storage really discourages alts in a way that isn't needed.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Fried Sushi posted:

Could ICR actually have a win here?

It's entirely possible this will be his best call, but the bar on that is so low that it's not saying much. I anticipate the full version will get largely the same reactions as the demo did in this thread. The vast majority will write it off for the campaign. A sadly large group of people will write it off for not being a service game. A few nut jobs will get deep into modding and laugh off the terrible cutscenes. It'll be a 6 or 7 on metacritic, which puts it into trash game territory for the bulk of the internet.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Both devastator and trickster are fine in the demo, due to everything favoring them. Hopefully, gear winds up bringing everyone into line depending on how you want to play. It's probably still going to massive favor the two classes, or massively favor them until later when a meta group is required and Trickster dies. Realistically, none of this matters because demo == game in the modern convention and everyone is already decided.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I like that they acknowledge that the poor captain is getting wrecked. Good patch, even if I'm a little :yikes: about stuff being server-side. There's usually some bullshit component in these games that CE/mods/editors/whatever let you bypass and not having that makes it a little too servicey for me. Of course their loot system doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue, but devs just can't resist that stuff.

Also, hold the phone... since when do repeat quests give rewards? I've only ever gotten the reward popup on first completion. Everything else was a chest, and if chests don't drop legendaries then wat?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

there's an option on the character screen to go back in the quest progression

Yeah, but when I do the quest (and turn it in) again I don't get the three item selection. I thought this was a normal thing to keep you from farming those side missions. I'm not stressed about the chest thing, but I've never had a drop from Gauss or that other guy you execute in a cutscene. There's just a chest there, which seems to conflict with the "chests don't drop legendaries" thing.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Frustrated posted:

One very underrated thing about this game is that when there are more people the enemies don't get super spongy, they just add more dudes. Playing with 3 people and teleporting into a mob of 25 guys is hilarious and awesome.

Warframe does this too, and it is The Correct way of handling it. It tends to not make the game that much harder but makes it way more fun... which is like anathema to service games.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Grimthwacker posted:

Whatever promise the game had, I couldn't see it thanks to the bad first impression.

This is a consistent problem with the whole thing. The pyro has the worst healing ability and is especially bad, but the tech eats it as well. Having two classes that are designed to be played at range is fine but you need to give them ranged abilities. They feel like the devs trying to add in support classes to an action game and that always sucks. It doesn't matter if expeditions at tier 10 require a pyro for debuffing enemies if no one plays pyro that long due to them being rear end soloing or playing earlier content. Watching the tech turrets be outsmarted by enemies moving slightly to the left does not fill me with confidence in their usage.

There's non-class stuff too. The autoloot functionality looks dumb and is annoying, since this is a demo and you're constantly getting upgrades and want to stop and look at what to equip. It makes a whole lot of sense in the context of speedrunning content later, but few will play the demo to the point where they realize it's a good thing. Beasts would presumably make up half the enemies, probably don't care about cover, and are likely more melee-focused... but you never see them. Little swarming critters would value AoE but the demo just values shooting guys in the head as much as possible.

Discussion > Games > Outriders: Play the demo if you want to hate it

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The pull gets you a big chunk of health, then it goes on cooldown. After that you need to kill something that has already been hit by one of your powers to get any more. Lacking a teleport, and with the vast majority of the enemies in the demo being cover-seeking gun mooks, your only real shot at further healing is using your bomb then killing the guy you bombed. Then you advance through cover in a hail of bullets and now you're slightly closer and need healing again and both your abilities that allow you to hit targets at range are down since the flame wave has a painfully short range.

Outside of the demo, you straight up get fire bullets which turn every kill into a healing kill. You also get an aoe CC ability (not so useful in the demo) and a ranged aoe (would be very useful) as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Disargeria posted:

How do those healing abilities hold up for boss fights? Is everyone expected to have enough passive leech to do those at high level?

Only the tech's works, and yes. Tech can also heal the group with later abilities and mods. I assume weapon and/or skill leech will be a requirement for later content.