Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I can't really understand how you can be so hyped for this game to the point that you're thinking about it throughout the day and influencing your subconscious to have dreams about it.

It's so GENERIC LOOKING. I would like this to be good, truly, but there's not a single good reason to think it will be. This isn't the same People Can Fly that made the good Painkiller games and Bulletstorm or the decent Gears of War titles.

This is the People Can Fly that worked on Fortnite: Save The World for like 5+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Whoa, support for different resolutions.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Barely an hour after the demo goes live, Bungie puts out a large article about their upcoming plans for Destiny 2's future content. It's a literal wall of text.

Weird timing!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Eastbound Spider posted:

Why does the servers need to be up for me to play this non games as live service game? :thunk:

Yeah, weird, huh? "No plans for an offline mode". Cool, so when they pull the plug on this in a few years, it'll go away forever, just like Battleborn.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It sounds like they took the servers down because the world bosses were undertuned and players were killing them way too easily, so they had to reset everything to tweak their stats.

Servers are back up now.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Heads up: Using ammo boxes can get your character stuck. Just saw it happen to a streamer.

He'd already used it once and walked away, but then the second time something broke.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ICR posted:

I’m actually curious what the plan is from today to launch to get the game ready for launch.

They just gave a really generic answer of bug fixing and polish, but I would love to dive in deeper to what that actually means.

This demo honestly looks like a soft-launch of the game. They already have tons of people logging in (not just pre-order folks, anyone can try it) so that means they're stressing the servers as much as possible and it looks like this demo will be up for a long time, possibly right until launch. So that means a lot of test data they'd otherwise not have.

Which sounds good come launch day, compared to some other games. Hopefully, unless they botch it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The tutorial starts out in a lush, evergreen forest.

That goes away by the time you get to pick a class. Game's story takes a super quick turn.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Some of the characters in this game have giant hands.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 25, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

People's brains have been eroded by marketing over the last two decades or so. "Don't judge a game by its beta/demo".

Pigbottom posted:

"We are currently looking at what could be done here, though we can't yet guarantee what such a solution here would look like."

Uhmm I don't know, This might sound like a crazy idea but hear me out. How about... a camera that does not shake?

Have the cinematics teams go through each of the camera animations and simply tune down the randomized movement offsets? It's not loving hard.

And if the camera shake was all done manually by hand... fire them.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ICR posted:

As C-Murder would say, truest poo poo he ever said:
Took this from the subreddit and I did a lot of head nodding.

It's an AAA game, so yeah, they're a month away from release which means everything is on fire and they are way too busy hammering the game into a serviceable state to use any of their resources on changing poo poo. That might come afterwards once the game is out and stable enough, assuming it sells well enough* that Square-Enix doesn't immediately kill the franchise.

* SE are notoriously fickle about sales projections and immediate results: See Sleeping Dogs, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Marvel Avengers, Just Cause 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider for examples

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

People like to have their horse blinders on.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I'd be perfectly fine with Square-Enix just turning this into "Monster Hunter with guns and abilities".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

game is decent but the infrastructure is held together by a 486 in a closet :allears:

If only they picked something with a Turbo button.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Tei posted:

Gamers always get the worst part of the deal. I heard pause is possible if you have the nvidia feature ansible.

Yep, people have confirmed that you can use Ansel (the Nvidia screenshot tool) to pause the game in singleplayer. That's funny.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I installed this and played through the first few hours, it's pretty fun. It allowed me to start playing at 40% installed and it's been glitch city.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

This game sure does run poorly on a regular Xbox One. Takes ages just to open the inventory.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

There's this huge empty space in the bottom half of the crafting screen that could've been used to show all the mods you currently have equipped. Or literally any other useful info.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

bamhand posted:

Nope! Game is balanced around having infinite ammo. Tough poo poo if you don't.

Some encounters in the story don't even have ammo containers ahead of them. Miniboss incoming, better hope you have the right mods or the enemies drop some, else it's pistol only for you!

Meanwhile, other places have like two or three ammo boxes close to one another. I don't get the level design sometimes.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I would very much like to pummel whoever designed the Yagak fight, in the nuts.

No see it's good that the boss homes in on you in the first few seconds of the fight with an instakill attack.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

gently caress snipers. They’re the most irritating enemy in this game hands down. They need to make the dodge more reliable against them.

The snipers are wallhackers and aimbotters.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Holy moly is that Shaman Warlord fight long. It wasn't particularly difficult once I realized that it only had one attack that could really hurt me but it still took ages to finish it off.

Shaman warlords seem to either have a higher natural resistance to damage or they have obscenely high HP compared to their other elite counterparts.

And it's kinda obnoxious how many boss fights are just "once this boss's HP hits X%, spawn in tons of melee adds in the corners" again and again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah any humanoid map involves cowards running to hide behind distant cover, it is the time-killer

It's so stupid that they didn't remove this from the AI behavior on the expedition maps. Just make it so that they always take cover very close to the player and maintain line of sight, but instead they can be cowering somewhere off in the corner behind a wall.

The Locator posted:

That altered Bailey fight is some supreme bullshit..

All the boss fights are bullshit. I'm glad I rerolled as Technomancer, just turret everything to death because the game isn't playing fair.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

More details on what will happen in the database restoration:

https://www.reddit.com/r/outriders/comments/muzhfo/outriders_inventory_restoration_stadia_news/gv8tqts/?context=3

If you don't want to read a short essay:

3 groups of players:

A is "profiles with corrupted inventories/characters that can't login"
B is "profiles with valid inventories/characters that still lost some items"
C is "everyone else/no database issues"

quote:

Group A Restoration:
All items, regardless of rarity, that were equipped at the time of your inventory wipe will be restored.
- Please see the further details section* for more info here.
All legendary items there were in your inventory.
For non-Legendary items: 20 previously acquired items that were in your inventory, with first prioritization based on rarity (descending from Epic rarity) and second prioritization based on date acquired.
All fully completed Accolades will be restored if you previously reached the final tier of said Accolade.
- Interim tiers and progress towards any tier of an Accolade cannot be recovered.

Group B Restoration:
Up to 20 legendary items there were in your inventory.
All fully completed Accolades will be restored.
- Interim tiers and progress towards any tier of an Accolade cannot be recovered.

Group C Restoration:
No restoration required.

Still no date for when, simply "ASAP".

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Soonmot posted:

i hate toon more than anything

my avvie

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

People Can Fly acquires Phosphor Studios

Will become their seventh studio, the third in the US.

They're experienced in mobile and VR.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I'm going to use this as a time to voice my displeasure with too many devs ditching their own forums/site-based news for getting info to the players and only going with reddit.

reddit has been basically absorbing all forums and it's annoying as hell.

I hate this trend too but that's how most companies do it these days - Reddit, Steam discussions - or a Discord server. Nobody can be bothered to host their own stuff now.

It's even better when it's something like an Epic Games/Game Pass exclusive and there simply isn't a way to contact the devs outside of maybe Twitter.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

An average of 30 hours is probably exactly how long it takes for people to get to the part where they figure out endgame sucks, assuming they can actually login and play. There’s nothing wrong with a 30 hour game, but I feel like a looter shooter’s goal is to become a gigantic time vampire.

Yeah, this seems like a good estimate. Once I hit the expeditions my enjoyment of the game fell off a cliff and I quit. The game was fun enough until then that I was willing to put up with the performance issues and numerous bugs, but the endgame is a soul-sucking endeavour that doesn't seem to have any real rewards of its own.

Also it's now 40% off on Green Man Gaming.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

From the IGN article:

quote:

Announced on the developer's investor website, People Can Fly explained that the agreement with Square Enix meant it would receive any royalties for the game's first quarter on sale by August 16, 2021. No funds were transferred, which People Can Fly suggests means that, "according to the Publisher, the revenues from the sale of the game are lower than the total costs of its production (including Quality Assurance), distribution and promotion."

People Can Fly executive Sebastian Wojciechowski (per a machine translation) added that the company had no firm data for copies sold: "We don't have any sales figures for Outriders - we estimate it at between 2 and 3 million units and assumed that this was a result that would ensure profitability for this project in the first quarter of sales. The lack of payment by the Publisher probably means that, according to Square Enix, this is not the case."

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

IOI also got lucky being able to buy their independence back. Imagine if WB Games bought them…

Agent 47 in MultiVersus! Also IOI is now doing additional development for Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights.