Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mailer posted:

"Matchmaking" is an ambiguous term and they left it at that.

"Matchmaking" in this game quite specifically means the service by which they match you to play with randos. If you're playing with friends you will never interact with the matchmaking feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is there any way to even trade items in this game? I feel like that's the only reasonable way to get flagged for cheating without meaning to, ie: accepting a cheated item.

But I don't actually recall there being any way to trade items.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I guess it depends on how things work under the hood, but since all loot is instanced and you can't even trade, I would assume that messing with the drop rates would only affect the local client and not the other person who joins your game. Obviously I can't guarantee that it won't work in a dumb way though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm afraid to read 50 pages of complaining about how the server downtime is awful and how this should never have happened especially with a single player game, but I also wanted to pop in here and say that I made a Devastator build at level 24 where I just punch people for 8k damage every 2 seconds and that amuses me. Maybe that's weak, I dunno, but it's good enough for me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

DarkDobe posted:

Trickster twisted rounds also interrupt as you apply damage
If you use Venerators Knife (you should) it's another good low cd interrupt

The ground slam melee is great but it doubles the melee cooldown from like 3 to 6 seconds

At some point I am going to try make a melee focused build - theres some interesting armor mods for it.

I did a melee build with Devastator and I'm doing like 25k damage per punch every 1.5 seconds. Usually I weave in other skills or shotguns during the downtime, so it's like I'm weaving punches between other moves. Most of my damage is punching though.

Also I'm practically invincible because I have so much skill leech from the punching and bleeds it causes, plus I have mods that auto-activate golem in critical and also golem causes bleed, so even if I'm surrounded I just automatically heal to full.

Edit: The downside of this though is that since I am constantly doing melee interrupts as my damage rotation, it becomes impossible to ever actually interrupt a spell on purpose.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Modding and swapping between weapon variants are basically free so why not.

If you find a good piece of equipment (preset with a mandatory mod for your build, good substats) then you might as well level it up because you aren't going to find anything better.

I haven't really found a need to ever level up substats, but I also have lots of shards so maybe I should be.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If you press esc, there's a "Guide" option that is basically the game manual.

Not saying that's good design, but there it is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of armor penetration, I never went all-in on weapons or anything, but something I noticed just playing the game normally is that enemies with more HP also tend to have more armor (ie: melee dudes, shotgun dudes, etc), while enemies with high resistance tend to have low HP (ie: gunners, sniper, etc.). So, like, overall anomaly damage tends to be better investment than weapon damage, since weapon damage mostly helps you kill enemies who are easy to kill anyway.

That basic analysis doesn't include armor piercing which might change things a lot, but it's just something I planned around in choosing gear or a build.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I chose the LMG, but holy poo poo what a choice:

It's always those three weapons, btw. I got those three, and my brother who I was cooping with got the same three.

I just immediately scrapped one though since I didn't want any of them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly I don't much like the "Weightlessness" effect either since instead of freezing them in place like Freeze or Ash it makes them float on their back so it's hard to get headshots.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yeah I like the page that shows what exactly did your damage

Wait, how do you view this summary?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's from doing an expedition which is the endgame thing, you have to have finished the story to go on them. They're timed challenges basically and after you finish one it shows you all that stuff.

Well, I just beat the game so I guess I'll see this soon.

It was funny being an invincible punch-man even on the final boss. Just brawling with like behemoths and stuff is very satisfying, imo.

Edit: For the record I am not a coward and kept it at max world level the entire game.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 6, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The armor pierce one is clearly better imo. Because weapons without armor pierce suck.

Edit: Oh wait, they have difference variants, I dunno.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I can't be the only one who is more excited to disassemble a legendary than to use one, can I? The idea of putting those mods on anything I want is far cooler to me than using any particular piece of junk, even if its stats are okay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm pretty sure literally all enemies have armor, it's just a stat they have like you do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

dogstile posted:

I completed the game on max world tier as the devastator and I basically only managed to do it by hitting constant headshots and kiting forever. He does loving 0 damage until you get all the required mods. I ended up making an impale/reflect/golem build but half the bosses don't have anything to reflect (and also lock you out of respecting until you're done because gently caress you).

Shame, because I love the idea of the class, it just seems that the other three are way better. My first expedition I did 3.5 million damage to my technomancer friends 13.5 million.

I mean I guess I can sit in the "capture zone" forever and not die but I could also just kill everything.

I'm actually kind of wondering what the devastators role is. He can't do damage like the other classes. He can interrupt but so can other classes. You'd think maybe it's crowd control but again, the other classes also have tons of that. You can't even hold aggro

In my first Devastator expedition I did 8 million damage compared to my pyromancer friend's 6 million. This gap has gotten larger over time. Also I am completely invincible and cannot possibly die (up to rank 10 so far anyway).

I just punch things constantly and use my gun solely to apply status effects, but I feel incredibly strong.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also the Devastator can kinda hold aggro just by standing in the middle of all the enemies. I mean you won't be able to stop small groups from peeling off to attack your allies, but when 80% are surrounding you it's not a huge deal.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah like notably the guys with iron armor all over the place and chainguns, you can pop off their plates (or you can teleport behind them and shoot their unprotected back if you're the best class)

With that said if I lose another expedition because Hunt the Prey went off and just refused to put me behind the enemy leaving me facing down 3 elites with my dick in my hand I might Get Mad At Video Games

Even if you pop off their plates, they still have "armor" in that they take less gun damage than other enemies.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Punch punch punch punch punch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lawlicaust posted:

This looks amazing. Can you post the build?

Uh, I'll try I guess.

Here's my current class tree. It was a little different at the time of the previous damage log; basically I moved a point from bleed damage into "increase anomaly power by 45% after using a protection skill" and replaced Impale with Golem. Not sure if that's better yet, I'm still trying it out. Basically Impale was the weakest link so I thought maybe I could replace it.

Here's my gun. I've found vulnerable to be incredibly powerful, and the other mod is just the strongest flat damage weapon mod I have. I don't shoot, like, continuously very often so the 3 second duration isn't a huge problem for me.

Bleed on Golem is pretty useful as part of a combo that keeps me alive. I'll talk about that when I get to the other part of it. I don't care about Vulnerable on Melee-kill at all; it just happened to be on this helmet. Theoretically it's nice, but you really need vulnerable for elites and bosses where you can't reliably punch someone to death every 10 seconds.

Martial Arts is obviously a key mod here. Basically I am spamming punch every 1.5 seconds or whatever, and trying to weave in other skills between (with some shooting too, obviously). Damage Absorber is... well, I've been keeping it around for the survivability for a long time now, but honestly I don't know if I really need it. I was considering replacing it with something that gives me more damage when I get the chance to.

Seismic Impulse and Untamed Power are both amazing for a melee build, obviously. Untamed Power procs off of melee attacks too, it's technically a "skill".

Earthquake does more damage, yay! That's pretty cool since it has a short CD. The auto-golem is the other half of the golem-bleed combo I mentioned earlier. Basically, if you ever get into critical you will automatically proc bleed on everyone around you, which will probably heal you up to full instantly. This works even if you don't have the Golem skill equipped at all. That said it's a defensive move that costs 2 mod slots so I think it can be questioned.

Heal on Earthquake is totally pointless. That just happened to be there. Brawl is obviously mandatory for punch damage. Unfortunately the way it stacks with the class skill is that they both add 100%, for 300% total. Instead of stacking multiplicative for 400%.

Big punches! Usually I do more because of Vulnerable and maybe the Golem Anomaly power buff. I've seen up to 200k when the stars align. But basically you do 100k+ every 1.5 seconds, plus another 30k from Untamed Power. Mixing in other skills when available for some extra damage while punch is on CD. I don't think this build is OP or anything, but it's pretty fun and has taken me to rank 14 at least. Also it could definitely use improvements, and doesn't require any legendaries whatsoever (or rather, most legendaries kind of suck with it; the melee Devastator set seems especially useless to me ).

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 7, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh, uh, for the record it sucks against birds. A lot. Because I can't hit them with anything but pot shots until they land for 2 seconds every so often.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 7, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

RisqueBarber posted:

I don't think the points in blood bath and blood donation are worth it. Have you seen a difference without the two points? I'm healing fine without them and the damage from bleed is minimal(7% of your total damage in your screen shot).

That's possible, I haven't really thought about it. What would you replace them with though? CD reduction?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

So I got to Challenge Tier 15 and suddenly enemies can actually kill me. I do actually notice a huge survivability boost when I put bleed on a bunch of things (I put it on Earthquake), so that's a thing I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Maybe it's just me, but I felt like both shotguns and sniper rifles became obsolete very quickly once you start rising up the World Tiers (and Challenge Tiers). Theoretically they offer burst damage, but since everything in the game is ridiculously tanky by that point, you don't get much value out of that.

That said, I wasn't playing one of the classes with a good bullet skill.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 8, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Getting 15% of your damage from one out of ten mod slots means you're actually getting above average value from it. You don't need all your moves to do bleed, you just need to have it up consistently. Also, presumably you have the mod that makes you deal 15% more damage to bleeding targets, so roughly 15% of all your other damage is also coming from bleed. So like 27% of the total.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 8, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't like that they're nerfing Vulnerable just because some classes can apply it too easily. I'm wasting an entire mod slot on it and I'm barely clearing CT 15 as it is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Jusupov posted:

I really hate the mods the acari set has. They make no sense for endgame. Wish you could mod the set items twice to get rid of this crap

Not to mention the attributes, why do I want health instead of anomaly power

Yeah, legendaries having fixed stats that are bad is a big problem imo. Like, why would you want Health on anything ever? Health doesn't get you gold ranks. Most of the legendary sets I've seen seemed unusable in one way or another, tbh.

Unrelatedly, another big problem for Anomaly power builds is how many mods proc off of weapon kills, which are practically impossible to achieve in an anomaly power build (since your weapon is a pea shooter). Which limits your options a lot.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean you don't have to go for the extremes, you can do both. The complaint is that they are nerfing the best strategy but it's still the best strategy because they haven't buffed anything else or nerfed the enemies. So people will still use it, the game will just be less fun for those people.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 9, 2021

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lumpy posted:

I played this game post-patch and had fun. What am I doing wrong?

Just keep going through loading screens and opening and closing menus until it crashes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There's one side quest where you encounter one. Actually that happens before you meet the one in the story.

I've only ever fought those two.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

watho posted:

wait do weapons you aren’t using matter?

Yes they do.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

moist turtleneck posted:

I turned on auto loot but didn't realize I needed to press a button to use it for like a half hour :negative:

The blues feel like they just fall into the snow and disappear if I'm not tapping auto loot

I turned it on when I first started the game but didn't realize that until the final area. I thought it just meant the part where it automatically picks stuff up when you change zones.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

If your game crashes you might lose all your stuff. And that happened pretty often before the patch.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

For the record, Devastator was also nerfed because they nerfed Vulnerable. Nerfed a little less I suppose.

Also I don't think it's THAT bad. I got to rank 15 on my Devastator before they changed anything, although admittedly I kind of abused a mission with a relatively easy timer (Arches of Enoch). I mean, I don't disagree that other classes just melt stuff, but I was never stuck on rank 10 or anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

FutureCop posted:

I was always a little worried about this aspect, where Technomancer can heal themselves with damage at any time while every other class relies on kills in specific scenarios for healing. I know it's somewhat balanced by the fact that kills give you a larger instant burst of healing over technomancers smaller healing over time, and that on paper the difference between the class healing scenarios make them feel unique from each other which is nice for novelty, but 'on kill' healing feels like it can really be bad when 1) you have a 1-on-1 boss fight with no trash to kill for healing 2) you're playing coop and people are kill-stealing your healing 3) trash gets so spongy that killing them becomes a struggle. Furthermore, it feels like technomancers can just focus on building damage over survivability since survivability is synced with their damage, and they have so many options for long-range weapons so they can heal in safety. Again, it feels like it falls prey to the same 'good intentions, but bad idea in practice' that is coming up with timed rewards for expeditions. Am I wrong on some of these aspects in practice, or is this largely the case?

I feel like huge chunks of this game are designed around a gameplay loop of squishy enemies that are dying constantly, which simply isn't true at higher difficulty levels.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Frustrated posted:

For everyone in expeditions, run Archways of Enoch as much as possible before they go and make the time tighter, it's by far the easiest mission to gold. I just did a gold run on 14 to push myself to CT 15 when I was barely silvering other CT 14 missions.

Yup. It's not even close.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just another fun thing anomaly power builds can't do since they will never in a million years get a kill with their pea shooters.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Like I always say, if you can't survive with literally every enemy shooting at you, you won't survive when you're in the jaws of a behemoth either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Does anyone happen to know how the Devastator Pax skill Earthen Shell works? The description says "Damage dealt with skills is converted to Shield" which is already super vague (how much Shield?) but now that I've taken it I also don't see the blue shield bar pop up. If it's just a buff it's kind of hard for me to tell since like 7 different buffs pop up every time I hit something with a skill.

Edit: It started working after I zoned.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

So is the expansion new storyline, or just more "end game" content?

It's got a new storyline but it seems super rushed and ends in like 3-4 hours. Almost feels like they had a sequel planned, but canceled it and threw in the cliff notes instead.

Edit: To be fair, there seems to be additional story inside the randomly generated(?) dungeon which seems to be endgame-ish.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 29, 2022