Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
The game feels ridiculously generic and unambitious. I mean, it's okay enough. It's shooty and looty, neither the shooting or the looting is particularly amazing but it's OK enough. The constant cut scenes and tiny feeling areas make the game feel really dated before it's even come out though. There's just nothing to get excited about. We've seen this all before, done better, a dozen times or more.

Remnant: From the Ashes is free on PS+ next month, go play that instead. That's a looter shooter that mixed things up a little and it's way more fun and interesting than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Huh, well I played through to the end of the demo, expecting the Jakub mission to be one you could actually play...and found myself wanting to play a bit more, surprisingly enough. The rewards for the last side mission are the first time some actually interesting gear shows up. I really don't think this thing is going to be worth full price, but I'll probably pick it up after the inevitable discount when it doesn't sell that well. If they were a bit less aggressive with the cutscenes (or just get rid of them entirely and have the exposition told through gameplay, this ain't 2005) and had actually hired some decent writers this could be so much more than it is. The gameplay is perfectly competent, stop interrupting it with these drat cut scenes!

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 27, 2021

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are we sure that doesn't count demo "purchases"?

Steam's global sellers list is ranked by revenue, so those are all sales.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
That 30 minute video about the endgame stuff actually has me considering picking this up at launch now, assuming I can get my brother on board to play with me. The demo starts out extremely weak, but by the time I got to the end with my Pyro I wanted to play more. The crafting and modding stuff looks really cool, and the one endgame map they showed also looked really good.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/XboxGamePass/status/1370494813531869186

It would seem weird to have this be Outriders with preorders already being taken, but it sure sounds like Outriders.

I liked the demo, but probably not enough to buy the game at full price, so if it does pop up day one on GamePass that would absolutely own.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing it was selling like poo poo on Xbox but healthily on Steam? Fuckin sucks, but I guess it probably won't be full price for too long on PC :(

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
MS must have paid a shitload for this, or the game was selling so abjectly on Xbox that whatever MS offered was more.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's certainly a compelling reason to buy into their hardware ecosystem. A one off payment for the console, a reasonable monthly sub, and you basically don't need to pay for games ever.

Just wish there was complete parity between console and PC so I won't miss out if they're gonna start picking up big 3rd party games day one.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Anyone else notice that this game is real blurry? It feels like the resolution is downscaled but it's not, almost like there's a Depth of field thing going on where everything around my player is kind of blurry?

Yeah, I haven't had the chance to try the fix yet, but when I loaded it up the game looked ridiculously blurry, like the rendering resolution was downscaled or soemthing.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

you can't prepare for 1 millon friends going to your house for dinner, but you can try.

generally the companies that can cope with the release day trafffic are companies that already own a server farm (amazon,google, microsoft...) or that have a lot of experience (blizzard.. blizzard maybe not a good example)

games like outriders could run singleplayer offline, but then it wold be harder to sell hats to people

the game doesn't have hats, or microtransactions of any sort.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Game's working just fine for me now. Turned off the framerate cap and it's running at 70-90fps on High with a 1080ti at 1440p. It's a lot of fun, but pretty drat tough as a Pyro. My skill cooldowns are too long for the healing to be useful when you really need it, and the skill that makes the enemies explode on death means you have to wait that bit longer for the heal (but do pretty much get a full heal if you manage to explode a few dudes at once)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arkage posted:

I'm kind of confused on how this game is being framed. I suppose it's like a Diablo structure of only having a set amount of content to play, and the "endgame" is to keep increasing difficulty on previously played content to get better loot, so you can then play on even higher difficulties? Is that about the sum of it?

Yeah, pretty much. It has a pretty cool and in-depth crafting system and infinite free skillpoint respecs, so the endgame is going to be all about theorycrafting ridiculous builds and grinding the 15(?) endgame maps at increasing difficulty levels.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, no issues at all for me now on PC (apart from crossplay not working)

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My World Tier appears to be stuck on 5 and hasn't increased in ages. Is it level or campaign gated, or is it bugged?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
this poor dude had a terrible lunch, AND his favorite game is offline!

https://twitter.com/KjarlGrimblood/status/1378084461863141381

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm in game now. Connected right away.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just can't get past World Tier 6, I die too much to drat snipers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
In general it's way, way easier to fight the alien monster things than the humans. The aliens are mostly melee, the big dudes are easy to dodge and immobilize, and the ranged poison things don't do much damage. In contrast, the humans have snipers, massive beefy dudes, melee rushers, and explosions and grenades everywhere. So I'll duck behind some cover to get a breather and recover some health, but then five grenades will appear at my feet, forcing me out of cover so the snipers can shred me. As a Pyro the only tool I have for long range is being forced to carry a sniper rifle of my own which is fine, but I don't recover much, if any health unless the enemies are marked when they die. It seems like a massive gap in my toolkit that's highlighted really frequently in the way combat arenas are designed in this game.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

So the game is... Not bad?

It's fun. The story isn't going to win any awards but it's competent with some good voice acting, a few funny characters and scenes, and it's engaging enough to keep me moving forward through the game.

The gameplay, despite a few frustrations I spoke about in my previous post, is a good time. Guns feel decent to shoot, and the powers are punchy and combine well together.

And the loot and crafting systems are fun, and the game doesn't lock it all away until the endgame like most in the genre. You get access to the crafting a couple of hours in, and from then on you have full freedom to tinker with your gear and skills and try out new combos.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just got my first around level 20 after killing the Chrysaloid boss. A decent-looking shotgun.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I managed to make my Pyro an unstoppable killing machine by focusing entirely on making sure my Volcanic Rounds never run out. Get the trait that means you get 2 mags of volcanic rounds, and the Feed the Flames trait that restores 30% of your clip when you hit something with it, and you have Volcanic Rounds permanently. Then make sure you get gear with +Firepower, use an LMG and change it to the 150 round variant, and your final skill can be whatever, maybe something you can make enemies weak with. You just mow poo poo down and are constantly healing from burning enemies with volcanic rounds, and big mobs just melt. I went from struggling and constantly having to hide behind cover, to just walking around and blasting poo poo without caring.

E: and it's gone down again.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZeeBoi posted:

Wonder if gamepass is too popular for it to handle

Almost certainly, and it's also been at the top of the Steam bestseller lists recently too. Seeing as it's (meant to be) full crossplay, I assume every platform has to go through the same central servers, which means probably millions of concurrent users.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have no idea how you'd maintain enough Titanium to keep levelling guns. I probably collect enough to level one thing up every few levels, nowhere near enough to keep my guns above the level of what's dropping.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

Isn't changing variants effectively free with no drawbacks?

Yeah it costs a piddly amount of Iron

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can repeat those side quests whenever you want. Where they start from will appear on the minimap as a greyed out symbol.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That doesn't seem to work amazingly well. I repeated a side quest, and the only loot I got was from the boss drop. No after-quest loot given.

Pretty sure that's working as intended. The Hunt bosses drop 2 guaranteed purples and some Titanium, which is probably enough reward to justify farming the quicker ones a few times if you need some quick resources. The actual side quests themselves tend to be longer and more lore-driven and aren't worth repeating.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I played the demo, I rolled my eyes at the acting and the storyline, but enjoyed the combat enough that I figured I'd get the game anyway. As it turns out, the story is actually very enjoyable! I like that the side quests give you a bit more context for the world, and also flesh out the characters a little, but you can safely ignore them if you just want to shoot and loot. The voice acting is actually really solid all round, the game is well-paced and feels generous with content without overstaying its welcome, and I'm invested enough into the storyline now to be genuinely curious about what's going on with some later-game mysteries.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finished the story now, extremely solid campaign that kept me interested until the end. I've done a few expeditions up to Tier 8 but I'm not sure how long they'll hold my interest once I've cleared them all. I'll probably unlock and do Eye of the Storm in the hope of a bit more story to tie up some loose ends and then take a break until DLC or expansions are released. Game was a really pleasant surprise and I hope PCF release a lot more content for it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

it dont matter posted:

Should I be focusing on the story for a first playthrough? Is this like Borderlands, where you unlock some new poo poo at the end of the storyline, then you go again with a beefed-up character and new tricks and do more of the sidequests? Or does it not matter?

Well you have to follow the story, that's the game. You can do the sidequests as you go, or go back after you finish the main story and clear them then. I'd suggest doing them as you go as many of them flesh out the characters a little and have some nice little side stories that give more context to the main story beats.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
PCGamer just released their review, and gave the game a 63. Fair enough, opinions are subjective and all, and there are complaints in there that I agree with, but look at some of this stuff:

quote:

It wasn't until the back half of the campaign that I finally started finding enough Rare weapons to take advantage of Outriders' generous mod system.

quote:

I just wish it didn't take so long to get to that point. The majority of Outriders is its campaign, and I wasn't starting to have fun with weapon mods until it was almost over. Once you beat the pushover of a final boss, all that's left to do is clean up uninteresting side quests and grind in the post-game Expeditions mode, which is little more than a neverending testing ground for builds.

quote:

There's also a huge focus on class-specific magical abilities. I mained a Trickster that can only regain health and shields by killing baddies up close. The main damaging skill you start with, the Temporal Blade (which is more of a shockwave that zaps targets down to their skeleton before eventually exploding), served me better than the one or two other offensive skills unlocked over time, so I just stuck with it throughout.

quote:

Difficulty can be swapped at any time on the pause menu. A lower tier means worse chances for good loot. Tiers scale all the way up to level 15, but I spent most of my time bouncing between Tiers 3 to 5, which the game considers normal to hard.

Dude spent the entire game in World Tiers 3-5 which is ridiculously easy babby mode, and then complained that he didn't need to switch skills or engage with the modding system, which is a huge part of what makes this game cool.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

There was a clip earlier in the thread, of just the detailed eye movements of a character, but now i can't find it; anyone know what I'm talking about?

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

some dev in this game was an eye pervert, who would bother making this for a game like this

https://i.imgur.com/d51MmpT.mp4

why

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Are there really no endgame builds for other classes that don't use the ammo skills?

I'm sure there must be, but the ammo skills don't need much setup or gear and the playstyle is very simple so they're naturally going to be popular.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cretin90 posted:

Is anyone else playing this on console (I’m on Xbox One X)? I just started last night and feel like the input lag and general imprecision of aiming makes gunplay very frustrating. I may have to switch to PC or just play an anomaly-heavy build.

The older gen consoles are only running at 30fps which would make this game extremely difficult for me, I think. On PS5 and the Series consoles it's 60 which is fine.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I played through the campaign and did a couple of expeditions, clocked around 20 hours in all. I enjoyed the game as a purely single player experience and think it was worth the asking price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unless Squeenix wasted a shitton of money advertising this, they have to have taken the Game Pass money and not counted that towards sales or something, right? By all accounts they were really happy with how it performed just after it released, talking about making it a franchise etc. Something just doesn't seem to add up. 2-3 million copies plus Game Pass cash surely has to make it profitable.