Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I dunno, I found myself enjoying this despite the jank. Not gonna be a day one purchase, but I could definitely see myself picking this up once it's in the wild and there's more info about the gear system and late-game mechanics. The guns don't feel as weighty as Gears or the Division--more in line with Mass Effect--but at least on PC the movement and shooting feel pretty snappy. The powers feel pretty beefy though, and the visual effects on some of them are dope.

I'll be interested to see how the healing mechanics shake out past the very early game. The combat AI is a little bit mindless and it's easy to get into situations where you can't reliably heal (on bosses especially), but maybe the gear gives you answers to that later on. By the end of the demo, I had blues that extended the Golem duration by 50% and buffed the damage mitigation significantly, for example. Other people have said this already, but I really really like that you get interesting gear perks early on instead of having to wait all the way to endgame. Makes it feel more like Diablo, where you'll get a staff that lets you summon extra hydras or whatever while you're leveling, and then you'll abandon it or cube it when you find something cooler in a few levels.

The story is pure scifi schlock, but I actually kind of dig the setting and am interested to see where it goes, despite the rough voice acting. It seemed pretty clear to me that the game doesn't take itself super seriously, which keeps things from tipping over into insufferable grimdark poo poo, even though the voice acting (on the male protagonist especially) often keeps the comic relief from landing as well as it could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

WarEternal posted:

Technomancer got a ton better once I realized that A: The melee attack freezes people and B: I got a gun that wasn't an assault rifle or a shotgun. Their skills really aren't fun compared to Trickster, though, at least with no mods. The Tech proximity grenade became way better once I had an item that gave it 2 charges per cooldown instead of one.

I had an absolute hoot replaying this as Technomancer, especially after getting a sniper rifle that slowed on hit and a shotgun that gave shield on kill. I just hung back and popped heads, used the mortar turret for enemies farther away and the mine + turret to hold back rushers. If they got through all that, they got the freeze punch + shotgun. Actually made me feel way more positive about the game than my first run through with the devestator did. Might have helped that I skipped through all the cutscenes.

Also, if you kill an enemy that has a slow debuff on them, the gibs move in slow motion.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I went in the same order. I liked that Devestator is basically the ME Vanguard but yeah, the healing being on kill makes some stuff way harder than it probably should be. That said, I've seen a few gear mods that add healing effects to various skills, so I wonder how it'll shake out in the full game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

There are some armor perks that do interesting things with some of the ammo powers. I haven't tried them, but on my technomancer I got gear that heals you and your team for some % of your damage dealt with blighted rounds after they expire, and another that refunds 30% of your mag on kill while using blighted rounds.

Seems like there's potential there if you can build specifically for them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I hadn't heard anything at all about this game until I happened to see something about the demo.

Roman posted:

My first impressions were shaky but I've come around and am going to buy it. Once I unlocked powers of the different classes and got some decent armor and gun perks I could see the potential of the higher level items in the full game.

They needed to start the game with a short bit where you already have your powers and can smash a bunch of adds, THEN flash back to the beginning where you land on the planet etc. The story isn't that bad but asking people to wade through 30 minutes of it before even getting their first ability wasn't great

Same, honestly. I can forgive a game getting off to a slow start because it's trying to establish the story, but it's a terrible choice for a demo. Especially for a game like this - it starts off feeling like some low-rent Bioware RPG wannabe before you finally get to the ripping and tearing. Once I got to the good bits it won me over pretty quickly.

Edit: I gotta say though, I tried the demo on xbox after playing it a bunch on PC and aiming on console feels like complete rear end. I couldn't get my sensitivity dialed in no matter what I did with the settings.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 28, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Roman posted:

Finding that "this class is bad solo" is fixed by gear upgrades. The last part of the find the lieutenant quest is a good gear check. My first two characters' initial attempts were like OH gently caress THIS poo poo but I waited on my third character and quickly cleared it on my first try.

Yeah I was having a harder time with Pyro than with the other classes, until I got armor that gave me 2 charges of thermal bomb and boosted all my healing a bunch.

Also tried some 3 player co op last night and it's pretty fun despite there not being much to do in the demo. The number of enemies with 3 players is nuts. It makes the big flashy AoEs like thermal bomb and temporal blade extremely satisfying to use.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 28, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I will freely admit that a good chunk of my fondness for this game is the Mortal Kombat aesthetic they have going on with the powers.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bad Parenting posted:

cool downs on skills are too long

man what

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm not gonna defend the quality of the story/writing/voice acting, but I'm kinda bewildered that people are playing a game where you turn people into goofy cartoon skeletons with your magic sword, and use shotguns that turn them into a Quentin Tarantino-rear end blood cloud and then the blood cloud moves in slow motion because they're in your slow time bubble, and then drawing the conclusion that the game takes itself too seriously.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

BexGu posted:

So I started to enjoy the Technomancer a lot more when I realized it the combination gameplay of a Division 2 skills build with the Mass Effect 2/3 Infiltrator. Throw out the turret to tank/freeze mobs, use the shrapnel bomb to get people camping behind cover, and the Missile Barrage to knock people around while sniping headshots for days. The Trickster and Devastator were differernt variations of the ME 2/3 Vanguard gameplay that were pretty good after getting some levels into them.

Yeah the freeze turret, mine and rocket turret are incredible for keeping people from rushing obliterating people who rush you so you can hang back and splode heads.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I will never stop being amazed at what a complete and utter abomination D3 endgame was at launch vs the fact that I still find myself jumping in for a couple weeks every other season or so now, like 9 years later.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Orv posted:

It feels like the need to create The Next Great Loot Game is getting in the way of creating A Good Loot Game. Not every piece of the formula has to be tweaked every time but studios keep doing it.

The crazy thing is how many looter games release, spend a year or two implementing all the poo poo D3 already figured out, then release a sequel that undoes a bunch of it again. Rinse, repeat.

No I don't have thousands of hours into both Destiny and the Division, why do you ask?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The solution is to just ski all the cutscenes.
The story was already determined to be dumb as gently caress, why subject yourself to more of it?

What if there are more McCain scenes!?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I mean the 30fps OR the shaky cam would be jarring enough individually, but both together really push the cutscenes into what the gently caress territory.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Sylphosaurus posted:

Man, sure is a lot of haters here. The demo pretty much convinced me to get the game at release. It feels fun and I actually enjoy the irreverent tone of the plot. :shrug:

:same:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Masonity posted:

By the time Reaper of Souls came out, just under 2 years after vanilla D3, the game was "fixed". RoS brought the adventure mode and rifts/greater rifts.

Iirc the big loot system revamp that weighted drops to be appropriate for your class and have the correct mainstat + added unique properties to legendaries so you could build around them was put in like a month before ROS as part of the marketing for it.

Which was a brilliant move that Destiny and the Division have both copied at various points when the games have started to die off.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Grimthwacker posted:

the idea that you can only interrupt their skills with specific skills of your own that have the special property

This isn't entirely true. Stuff that has the Interrupt property will straight up stop their cast, true. But other stuff can delay or prevent it. Hitting them with a slow makes their casts take way longer, freezing them will pause it for the duration of the freeze, etc. Immobilize (like on the Pyro's health drain ability) works similarly.

The bosses feel like a huge struggle at first, but it's actually pretty easy to lock them down and kill them quickly once you get a better handle on things.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I finally got around to playing BL3 when it was $10 on the epic store and I had way more fun with this demo than I did with 90% of that game.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I liked Technomancer a lot. I basically used the turrets and the mine to screen rushers while I popped heads with a sniper rifle or mmr. On bosses I'd just drop everything on top of the boss and dump damage into his face. Seemed pretty effective, and I never even got around to trying blighted rounds.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Have the devs said anything about adding more controller settings, like acceleration, deadzone, etc? The demo feels pretty snappy on PC but hot drat, aiming feels like complete rear end on xbox no matter how I set the sensitivity sliders they give you. It just feels so goddamn slippery.

I guess I could try setting up a custom response curve on my Elite to counter it, but yeesh.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Roman posted:

you can tweak ADS sensitivity and ADS sniper scope sensitivity separately but that's as complex as it gets

Yeah I know, but there's crazy aim acceleration on everything no matter how you set those up. If you move the stick, your view/aim moves at a normal speed for a bout a second before it slips on a banana peel and goes flying at mach 3. The only solution seems to be to crank the sensitivity on everything way down which a) feels awful in its own way and b) still doesn't do away with the sudden insane speed increase if you hold a direction longer than a split second.

I tried the old Gears of War trick of having my regular sensitivity high for ease of turning and general movement + a pretty low ADs speed for precision and relying on the auto aim snap to make up the difference, but I still can't get it to feel remotely comfortable to use.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Rinkles posted:

[list][*]Controller adjustment options such as deadzone adjustment, acceleration settings and legacy layouts.

[*]Crossplay friends list and invite system across all platforms. This will require you to be using a Square Enix Members account.

These are both really good news.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

fadam posted:

Is the demo known to have pretty bad performance? I have a beast computer (3080, 5800x) and I get really low FPS in the towns and in big combat areas.

Yeah I have a decent machine and it still swings from like 80fps down to 30-40 in places. The town/hub area is especially bad.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Endgame is basically destiny strikes, 10 missions.

From the sound of it though, they work like Diablo greater rifts where or whatever Borderlands version of that is called where you can keep upping the difficulty for more/better loot, if that's your thing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ultraviper posted:

I'm playing on xbox (because game pass, otherwise I'd be on PC) and the controls are rear end. it's like there's a deadzone for specifically aiming diagonally so when trying to make fine movements it's only possible to move the aim horizontally or vertically.

They said they're going to add settings for deadzone, aim acceleration, and some other stuff in a post-release patch they expect to put out a couple weeks after launch but yeah, the xbox controls are insanely slippery.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Destiny absolutely is best in class in that regard (on console) but yeah, I agree that the guns in this game feel good too. Actually aiming them on a controller feels terrible though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Those guns are like level ten and you can't shard them for the mods though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Oh good point. I keep forgetting you can straight up level up the guns. I've just been plugging good mids into whatever drops at my level.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Diogines posted:

So what if anything sets this apart from other looter-shooters?

If you have played Destiny 2 or The Division, how is this game any different, or better? Given the nature of these sorts of games being a tad repetitive, why play Outriders over those?

I played both those games a bunch and was always frustrated that your powers are useless and/or on glacial cooldown timers until you grind out an endgame build that makes like one of them usable. Also always hated that it basically wasn't worth paying any attention to your gear until that point.

This game basically does completely the opposite and lets you just nuke enemies with absurd abilities every like ten second right out the gate. It also gives you gear that meaningfully modifies your skills and let's you put together coherent builds super early.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I just can't get over how hard they nailed what's fun about looter shooter gear systems, and then let you run wild with theirs before you're anywhere near endgame. I'm at level 20 on my pyro now and I'm running a volcanic rounds/overheat build that feels like something I would have had to grind out over dozens of hours AFTER hitting endgame in a game like the Division or Diablo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The benefit of a higher world tier is more/better quality loot, but you replace gear so fast while leveling that finding more purples doesn't really matter much. Helps you build up your mod library a little faster, I guess, but that's about it. You apparently get the same xp regardless.of world tier.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I'm just keeping it at max and turning it down a notch or two if I hit a fight that really kicks my rear end and slows my progress. At level 28/WT8 right now.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cretin90 posted:

Is anyone else playing this on console (I’m on Xbox One X)? I just started last night and feel like the input lag and general imprecision of aiming makes gunplay very frustrating. I may have to switch to PC or just play an anomaly-heavy build.

I played the demo on my series X and yeah, there's a ton of aim acceleration that makes aiming feel terrible. They said they're going to patch in settings for aim acceleration, dead zone, and some other stuff so you can dial it in better, but that might not be coming for a couple weeks.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

Yeah this game is totally ruined and officially sucks after one poorly-conceived over-reaction from a group of devs who have otherwise been hyper-aware of their community and bending over backwards to make them happy.

I hate it. -10/10. Should have bought Wolcen.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FileNotFound posted:

The patch didn't do anything to improve build diversity.

The game has also been out a week. How many of the people posting about returning it have even cracked the first couple of challenge tiers? I just finished the story the other night so I'm only on WT10 and have done all of one expedition, and I absolutely cannot tell the difference between now and pre-patch on my volcanic rounds pyro.

Maybe this is how it's gonna go from here on out and they're just gonna keep nerfing poo poo and pissing people off. Maybe not. Nobody knows. Given that the 15 expeditions are all there is in terms of endgame content, and people are already knocking them out using essentially the same build for 3 of the classes, it's not that surprising that they quickly hit the ammo powers with some (seemingly pretty light tbh) nerfs. FFS, the patch notes even specified they don't want to kill infinite special ammo builds. If Bungie or Massive were running this game, the patch would have made it so stuff like Perpetuum Mobile counts as a reload and puts your special ammo on cooldown.

The vulnerability change kicking devestators when they're down does suck though.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Diablo 3 has been out for like ten years and it a long, long time to get to the post my where it had an endgame at all, let alone build diversity.

Maybe I'm just beaten down by having played Diablo 3, both divisions, and destiny at/near launch but going all doom and gloom about what the developers intend based on a week one patch that slightly nerfed 3 (effectively 1) skills is crazy to me.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 8, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The loot system and the structure of the endgame are light years beyond where any of the games we're comparing it to were at when they launched, though. Challenge tiers are basically Diablo 3 greater rifts grafted onto destiny strikes and the crafting system is division 2's recal library. Concluding that they've learned nothing based on this one change in a first-week patch is a tad bit hysterical.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The other funny thing about all this "but y u nerf single player game!!?" stuff is that goons ALSO love to use whatever completely OP thing they find to truck through a single player game, then complain that it trivialized the game AND that they were "forced" to use it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The wording is confusing but I think now you get a legendary each time you complete all ten hunts. Previously, there was an exploit where you could get legendaries for completing each of the individual hunts, and that's what got patched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

No poo poo! Especially since the little guider arrow thing loves to take you to an entrance that isn't the one you need to use in order to enter the instance for certain quests, forcing you to look around for it yourself.