Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

New guy has drawn GSJG from the shadows! It is a glorious day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag

man i shouldve lurked more i got no loving idea whats going on
i love it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

cruft

Vei posted:

! most definitely would be appreciated

Here you go, fellow nerd

https://jsfiddle.net/36x9aonw/

I think of promises of sort of like how callbacks were used: when the thing is done, it executes the ".then()".

"async" makes it really easy to follow the flow of stuff, so you don't need ".then()" all over the place and your code isn't all ugly.

Let me know if you have questions!

Prof. Crocodile

hbag posted:

i love it

You are doing great :justpost:ing. BYOB is very stream-of-consciousness. There are very few structured threads.

Which reminds me, I have a structured thread that I should probably act on in the next week or so...

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

hbag posted:

i love it

"i got no loving idea what's going on" should probably be the tagline for byob

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Prof. Crocodile

sk posted:

"i got no loving idea what's going on" should probably be the tagline for byob

It would make fine scrollover text, especially since the quesadilla story got so brutally truncated.

Goons Are Gifts

I considered fixing that already but I somehow like the way it got butchered, it's like a symbol of the quesadilla having the perfect cheese on it, only to never see that cheese again

Although I probably should find the forum title thread it always crawls away so fast

Escape From Noise

Posting in this cool new thread

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
nerds can be cool... but only if they smoke weed

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

hbag posted:

my brain runs at about 2Hz so i havent been able to figure out if i get a notification when someone quotes my posts or if i gotta scroll through every thread i post in like a schizo every 2 minutes
also, hi

please be gentle

deepfake

Prof. Crocodile

oliwan posted:

nerds can be cool... but only if they smoke weed

:haibrow:

Vei

cruft posted:

Here you go, fellow nerd

https://jsfiddle.net/36x9aonw/

I think of promises of sort of like how callbacks were used: when the thing is done, it executes the ".then()".

"async" makes it really easy to follow the flow of stuff, so you don't need ".then()" all over the place and your code isn't all ugly.

Let me know if you have questions!
holy poo poo thank you, gonna give this a shot! i haven't used "await" either before but this definitely looks like good stuff

and vanilla js is always ftw :^}

hbag

right now the development of those lovely scripts depends entirely upon the sysop of the system im writing it on installing html2text on their loving cluster
hang tight fellas

----------------

cruft

Vei posted:

holy poo poo thank you, gonna give this a shot! i haven't used "await" either before but this definitely looks like good stuff

and vanilla js is always ftw :^}

Yeah, async/await are neato. I don't use them all the time because they're a bit more limited, but in a lot of cases they're just fine and make your code a lot easier to follow. Here's two ways to do the same thing:

JavaScript code:

function bar() {
  foo()
  .then((a) => {
    console.log(a)
  })
}

JavaScript code:

async function bar() {
  let a = await foo()
  console.log(a)
}

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 14, 2021

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hbag posted:

i love it

Lmfao that's thoughtcrime my friend you must post it is in the rules

hbag

Teddy Thunders posted:

Lmfao that's thoughtcrime my friend you must post it is in the rules

post THIS, nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hbag posted:

post THIS, nerd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST DID MOTHERH*CKER, GITGUD

hbag

Teddy Thunders posted:

I JUST DID MOTHERH*CKER, GITGUD

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

----------------

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

hbag posted:

AUUUUUUUUUUUUGH

Haha owned

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
im the bully here at byob and im gonna beat you up later so watch out for me ok

Vei

cruft posted:

Yeah, async/await are neato. I don't use them all the time because they're a bit more limited, but in a lot of cases they're just fine and make your code a lot easier to follow. Here's two ways to do the same thing:

JavaScript code:
function bar() {
  foo()
  .then((a) => {
    console.log(a)
  })
}
JavaScript code:
async function bar() {
  a = await foo()
  console.log(a)
}
Still getting the intuitive hang of it, but the code you provided is really great, thanks a ton man

got my 2 HTTP requests to start at the same time! which was my big goal

lowkey surprised that they are actually getting processed in parallel, even though i supposedly know that PHP creates new threads or w/e for each new process ...

man what a w00t day

Plant MONSTER.

this nerd stuff is making me MAD

you're all about to get it big time

Ass-penny

Hello new and surprisingly young poster! How does a Young Person find out about this extremely old fashioned way to interact with the Internet?
In any case I must say I'm glad to have you here with us.

hbag

rear end-penny posted:

Hello new and surprisingly young poster! How does a Young Person find out about this extremely old fashioned way to interact with the Internet?
In any case I must say I'm glad to have you here with us.

i've been on a few forums in the past, obviously heard about SA as it's pretty well-known, and i've been on the internet since i was... about 3 years old

----------------

cruft

Plant MONSTER. posted:

this nerd stuff is making me MAD

you're all about to get it big time

*sigh* okay, here's the lunch money I bring specifically to give you when you're mad, and I'll meet you behind the gym after school for another beating.

Plant MONSTER.

cruft posted:

*sigh* okay, here's the lunch money I bring specifically to give you when you're mad, and I'll meet you behind the gym after school for another beating.

Oh thank you. I'll go get us some lunch. Is everyone okay with paninis?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Yes but can I request mine ovo lacto veg thanks, I'll chip in an extra dollar or two for gf bread

cruft

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Paninis sound awesome!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Is there anyone with a peanut sensitivity, we need to find out if the new guy can eat sesame too, we don't want to cross contaminate.

nut

what is “SA”?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

nut posted:

what is “SA”?

It refers to South America, a continent in the Western and southern hemispheres of the world

nut

haha cool I’m more familiar with incontinents

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Haha yeah uh not me definitely haha uhhh

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

nut posted:

lol

more falafel please

forums poster

nut posted:

oh so you know my ex-husband

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

more falafel please posted:

oh so you know my ex-husband

Ooooooh buuuuuurn

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
*wakes up from a pot-fueled dreamfest*

Is it time to dogpile the new guy yet?

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

hbag

the script goes well
far from done but at the moment all thats really left to do is cosmetic poo poo so it doesnt just vomit the raw quote list at you

gonna add some interactivity too so you can filter quotes (maybe even add a way for users to log in with their credentials instead of having to supply their cookies, idk, ill figure it out)

----------------

nut

can u add a button that says fart and makes a fart sound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

hbag posted:

the script goes well
far from done but at the moment all thats really left to do is cosmetic poo poo so it doesnt just vomit the raw quote list at you

gonna add some interactivity too so you can filter quotes (maybe even add a way for users to log in with their credentials instead of having to supply their cookies, idk, ill figure it out)

Good lord, when you log in it just issues you a cookie with your username and password? I thought it was bad enough that we didn't have HTTPS until like 2 years ago.

Have you looked into using pandoc to convert from HTML into Markdown?

Looks like a fun project.