Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

StarFyter posted:

I think what's happening there, is that you are hostile with the outcasts, who IIRC the liberty rogues are friendly with, and the rogues in turn go hostile with you because the outcast in vicinity is hostile. 20:16 you can see an outcast fighter in the contact list.

Quick look on the Freelancer Wiki says they're friendly on +0.35, which I assume means above the threshold of joining the fight together on the same side, no idea about the numbers they use on the wiki.

+0.35 generally means that the reputation is friendly. For a faction to be on friendly terms the reputation usually needs to be at least +0.3, people do generally have things to say if the reputation is neutral.

I've just moved the Liberty Rogues and Junkers reputations with me back to minus. I thought that I'd take a screenshot of a more detailed look at the reputations with a variety of factions:

-0.9 means that a faction absolutely hates us and 0.9 means that they absolutely love us. I probably should have moved the Liberty Rogues (fc_lh_grp) and the Junkers (fc_j_grp) back down to -0.9 instead of adding a minus to the current numbers but I'm sure it will hit rock bottom again soon. I'm not sure at what point a faction becomes openly hostile or amiable towards us but from what I can gather the neutral area is between -0.3 and 0.3. I can do a full rundown if anyone is interested.

I believe that "fc" is Faction Criminal, "co" is for a corporation and "gd" is guild. There's also "li" for Liberty, "br" for Bretonia, "ku" for Kusari and "rh" for Rheinland. It's interesting to note that Kress's Men and Quintaine's Men also have separate reputations and they're listed as "fc". "fc_n_grp" is the reputation of the Nomads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160315

There are only three "Criminal" bases in Bretonia but they are spaced quite far apart. I decided to keep the combat sped up in this video instead of returning the time to normal as I have always done. We've seen combat about dozens of times over so I thought that I'd start speeding straight through it unless anything of note happened. I said in the video that they missed a trick with not having a system called Nottingham, there already is a battleship Hood after all. There's also two new ships featured in this video, one of them is the Wolfhound which is really quite... angular.

Music used:
music_bar_br02
music_bar_br01

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, never realised the Wolfhound was supposed to fly that way around, it always made more sense to me upside-down, especially considering the orientation of the bits on the Bloodhound and Mule. I suppose I'd just not spotted the cockpit location before.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

[/url]

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160334

Music used:
music_bar_ku01
music_bar_ku02

StarFyter posted:

Huh, never realised the Wolfhound was supposed to fly that way around, it always made more sense to me upside-down, especially considering the orientation of the bits on the Bloodhound and Mule. I suppose I'd just not spotted the cockpit location before.

I thought that it was odd-looking before, but it wasn't until you mentioned it that I decided to look even closer and it really does look like the ship is the wrong way up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Can't believe I'm just finding this thread now. A long time ago in a past life I was a long-time player of the Discovery mod and was on the development team for it for several years. I won't get into the details of that too much but the anecdote from early in the thread about someone running a pirate train full of cardamine and getting ganked by an LABC made me nostalgic for 2009.

I've probably put thousands and thousands of hours of my life into Freelancer over the years. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, OP :)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160351

This video doesn't have a whole lot of talking but it does have two new ships. I'm going to visit the criminal bases in the Independent Systems that surround Liberty space, there are a lot of them to visit and there were a couple of systems that I skipped out on bases entirely because we weren't welcome the first time around.

Music used:
music_bar_rh02
music_bar_rh01

Kazinsal posted:

Can't believe I'm just finding this thread now. A long time ago in a past life I was a long-time player of the Discovery mod and was on the development team for it for several years. I won't get into the details of that too much but the anecdote from early in the thread about someone running a pirate train full of cardamine and getting ganked by an LABC made me nostalgic for 2009.

I've probably put thousands and thousands of hours of my life into Freelancer over the years. Thanks for the nostalgia trip, OP :)

Welcome to the thread, feel free to share any anecdotes and experiences that you have. If you want to talk more about the Discovery mod then feel free, this is a vanilla playthrough but I'm more than happy for anyone to talk about mods for the game as I know that there are many. I have seen the map for the Discovery mod and it's absolutely massive compared to the original: https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/

I know about this map as I was using it early on without realising that it was for the mod and was asking where the jump gate was to Ontario earlier in the thread.

The story is long over and right now I'm just leisurely exploring the rest of the game world. People can talk about anything Freelancer related that they want too whether it relates to the LP or not.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Welcome to the thread, feel free to share any anecdotes and experiences that you have. If you want to talk more about the Discovery mod then feel free, this is a vanilla playthrough but I'm more than happy for anyone to talk about mods for the game as I know that there are many. I have seen the map for the Discovery mod and it's absolutely massive compared to the original: https://space.discoverygc.com/navmap/

I know about this map as I was using it early on without realising that it was for the mod and was asking where the jump gate was to Ontario earlier in the thread.

The story is long over and right now I'm just leisurely exploring the rest of the game world. People can talk about anything Freelancer related that they want too whether it relates to the LP or not.

Basically it was a good mod back in '08-'11 with a pretty active community and some solid gameplay additions and a thriving RP base, and then a series of successive utter mistakes of human beings took over development and community management and despite a number of us doing our best to try to save the place it turned into a game full of and maintained by bigots who were led by a serial sex pest.

In the golden era I met a number of people who I continue to play games with and consider extremely close friends to this day. But it was more in spite of Discovery's community than because of it.

A shame, really. It was a neat setting. Basically just Freelancer with user-generated extensions of known Freelancer lore, and a few extra nations/houses that were either added on by mod development or by player interaction. The capital ship combat was janky as all hell and a bunch of the fighter types were horrendously unbalanced to satiate the leet PvP bros, but before the community self-selected to being a bunch of shitheads it was a good fun game. I have a lot of good stories from the old days (like a spontaneous four-way battle at Freeport 1 that involved capital fleets from Liberty, Bretonia, Rheinland, the Corsairs, the Outcasts, and three minor factions, that I think started over some Rheinland intelligence players attempting to blockade some Bretonia Mining and Manufacturing players who were returning from Omega-7 with a shitload of... some ore) there but they're all so horribly overshadowed in my mind by all the bad poo poo that it just makes me sad to think about. :smith:

e: Some funny early FL modding technical poo poo: before about 2011 there was no good tool for working with ship hitboxes, but there was a hitbox splicer tool, so you had to splice together convex pieces of existing ship hitboxes to form new hitboxes. This resulted in some ridiculously unbalanced ships with either horribly oversized or undersized hitboxes, or pieces that just didn't have collision detection at all. At one point there was a ship that was stolen imported from a Star Wars game that had a hitbox that was just the Rhino's but flattened to roughly fit the shape.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 1, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i miss browsing all the cool mods on lancer's reactor and wishing i had enough storage + patience to add all the cool ships and extra planets and modded weapons and everything

now i've got the modding tools and i can edit the values of things but i have no skill or vision for ship design so all i do is occasionally do a My Numbers Are Huge mod and gently caress around for a bit

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

idk if this has been posted already but this upcoming games looks a lot like freelancer

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1111930/Underspace/

there's a demo, too!

https://pastaspace.itch.io/underspace

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

biosterous posted:

idk if this has been posted already but this upcoming games looks a lot like freelancer

there's a demo, too!

quote:

Trainwiz [developer] Jun 25, 2021 @ 8:59pm
The game's an original game made in Unity, built from the ground up. It's a spiritual successor to many classic space games, including some that might seem very familiar!

However it is important to understand: It is NOT a Freelancer clone in any way, and while you CAN, you absolutely should NOT mod in Freelancer's models, content and levels using the many tools available on sites such as The-Starport and ModDB, which can be useful in extracting Freelancer's models for public use. You should NOT do this, even though Underspace supports it.

Understand?

Don't do it you guys!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160386

Recording this was one failure after another. I originally recorded this segment on Monday, but afterwards, I realised that I had wasted 66 minutes as I had been messing around with the settings in OBS to potentially use it to record a new LP but I didn't change the settings back. So when I had finished recording the session and went to edit it, it had only recorded part of the screen. There was also another issue that I didn't discover until yesterday.

I had a bit of time to re-record this segment yesterday but ran out of time when I reached Dawson station, by this time I had 64 minutes of recording already finished. When I got home from work last night I recorded the Dawson station segment and then when I looked at the map I saw Barrow Base and wondered why I hadn't included it. When I checked further I saw that it is owned by Xenos and thought that I had visited it before, but after looking at my notes I saw that Nome base was owned by Nome base too. After checking further I noticed that I hadn't visited any bases on my original jaunt around Hudson and Bering. So I decided to re-record Dawson, say my bit and then fly to Barrow Base. As I was on my way to Barrow Base it dawned on me that there was a second base in Bering and I had missed that too. By this time, after two hours total of recording, there was no way that I was going to start this over again. I apologise, I will fire myself out of the nearest torpedo tube immediately.

Music used in this segment:

music_dangerous_chase
music_sigma_space
music_upcoming_action_light
music_no_lair_battle
music_ku_space
music_manhattan
music_no_dyson_battle

biosterous posted:

there's a demo, too!

RBA Starblade posted:

quote:

Trainwiz [developer] Jun 25, 2021 @ 8:59pm
The game's an original game made in Unity, built from the ground up. It's a spiritual successor to many classic space games, including some that might seem very familiar!

However it is important to understand: It is NOT a Freelancer clone in any way, and while you CAN, you absolutely should NOT mod in Freelancer's models, content and levels using the many tools available on sites such as The-Starport and ModDB, which can be useful in extracting Freelancer's models for public use. You should NOT do this, even though Underspace supports it.

Understand?
Don't do it you guys!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm downloading the demo now and I'll give it a try soon. After Freelancer, I'm going to do a couple of short-form LP's before I consider anything long-form again and it's probably going to be a while before I return to a space sim. I've added Underspace to my wishlist and if the demo is any good I will consider purchasing it, who knows what the future holds? I have a copy of a space sim a few years older than Freelancer which I'm going to attempt to install and play at some point which I'm eyeing up as a future potential LP. Freelancer is far from over yet though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!

RBA Starblade posted:

Don't do it you guys!

It says Trainwiz is the developer, but I don't see any space trains

:mad:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I think I remember that name from ages past. At one point I remember pastaspace being the name of a 4chan /v/ themed Freelancer mod or something along those lines circa 2010 or so.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

having now played with the demo for an hour and change:

1. it feels like playing freelancer

2. i have met two non-human species and zero human species

3. there's neat lil worldbuilding in the item descriptions like this

i have some minor complaints but this is a demo of an unfinished game and it's already scratching the freelancer itch really really well

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Is... Isn't that arsenic acid? Non-human indeed.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have downloaded the demo but haven't properly tried it yet. I did copy files into the mod folder but either it's not supported in game or I missed something.

Edit: I'm not sure which tool they are referring too so I just copied in the folders. If someone can point me in the right directions I'll upload them for... archival purposes.

I've also managed to get Hardwar working on Windows 10 with the help of a couple of small patches. I only tested it out for a couple of minutes but it seems like a manual is required as the game just throws you into it with zero tutorial.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 5, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've found the relevant tools for extracting the models of ships and it turns out that it's used for modifying existing ships or making new ones, the import and export is for the same files types so I'm assuming that all you need is the original files already installed. I've replied in the thread quoted here to see if I can get more details.

Edit: I figured out the file type.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 6, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160416

This will be the last of the criminal base focused videos. There's only one more system to visit in the Tau area and two criminal bases that I missed in the other Tau systems which I will include in the Tau-37 video. After that, I'll explore every new system 100%.

As for the Freelancer mod, I've converted all of the ship models but I'm waiting on information on the specifics of other models in the game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

"Goomega criminals"

thanks brain for parsing it that way

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

poo poo, now I can't unsee it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160450

I recorded this about an hour and a half ago, I wasn't expecting it to be up so soon but Tau-37 is a small system and it didn't take long at all to record, edit and process the video. My youngest is staying with me for a few nights so the next video probably won't be until Thursday or Friday at the earliest. This is the first new system in a while and despite being small, it really does look nice. I am trying to speed through as much combat as I can but there's going to be some situations where it feels more natural to keep it in.

I'll explain some more about what I was whittering on about before reaching Freeport 10. If you pause around the 6:15 mark in the video, there was a massive rock right in my flight path. Instead of the AI compensating for the blockage in the flight path it decided to just stop the ship directly in front of it and then proceeded to fire up and cancel the cruise several times until I overrode the controls to manoeuvre around it. By this time there were several rogue ships already on my tail and by the time that I engaged manual controls they were already upon me. I went from a sitting duck to a slow-moving one and by the time I was able to get myself out of the mess they'd eaten my shields and half of my health.

In this update, we meet "the Snake" who has one of the best rumours that I've seen so far. One of the wrecks in this system belonged to a Bounty Hunter called Jessica Stephenson, there is a rumour about her which I didn't encounter but I thought that I'd share anyway:

"Jessica Stephenson was a former Bretonia Police Authority prison guard who yearned for a more exciting life outside of the walls of Newgate. A quick study, she joined the Bounty Hunters Guild and quickly rose through the ranks, eventually taking on the most challenging assignments the Guild had to offer in the Edge Worlds. She was based out of Freeport 10, which is a risky post for a hunter given the dominating presence of the Outcasts in the area. It is said that they laid a trap for her in the Bermejo Cloud."

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 13, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It says Trainwiz is the developer, but I don't see any space trains

:mad:

https://streamable.com/3x15i0

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160472

Welcome back to Sigma-13, we uncovered a big chunk of it during the tenth mission. The wrecks in this system each have a very nice surprise for us and there's also a secret place to uncover as well. It's a shame about all of the gas pockets and radiation that we have to wade through to find them all.

I've converted all of the ship models but I'm having a bit of a hard time working out which models are the weapons models, so I've been slowly converting everything in the Equipment folder. It's taking a while though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Watching the stuff about the Taus and the Sigmas, I think I should talk about the Discovery RP server and my involvement.

For those who played Disco, I'm the guy who ran the Vagrant Raiders, and later Natio Octavarium. In the context of the roleplaying environment of the Discovery mod official server, we were originally (under a different leader) a Lane Hacker affiliated fleet that eventually became an independent pirate/mercenary faction that allied with the Bundschuh, the Hackers, and the Outcasts. We smuggled cardamine from Omicron Alpha to Manhattan, and Black Market Munitions back from Detroit Munitions (one trade lane over from Manhattan) back to Omicron Alpha, or Tau-44, where we eventually found ourselves based out of. In the current(?) version of Discovery, we operate(d) a space station called Canberra Star City in Tau-44, one jump off of Tau-23, operating as a sort of politically-questionable starbase in the region.

What we wanted to do was to be a sort of quasi-neutral intermediary between the major unlawful factions in the neighbourhood (the Outcasts and the Gallic remnant -- for those purely focused on the canon Freelancer LP, the Gallic stuff won't mean much to you) and the local quasi-lawfuls (the Crayter Republic -- a barely-disguised Battlestar Galactica import -- and the Independent Miners Guild). What we ended up being was a Junkers-like faction, wherein everyone wanted an excuse to shoot us but no one could muster a sufficient reason to do so. In "lore" we ended up being somewhat responsible for manufacturing a subset of the Discovery mod's open market ships, like the Raven VHF and the Waran bomber.

Natio Octavarium on the whole quit Discovery not for any particular mod development or server development or lore reason, but because of external community reasons. We had often hoped that the community would be more open and friendly but we had seen people in positions of power (or at least, positions of community influence) that were not as open as we were. My "second-in-command" was trans, as was my "third-in-command", and we all knew that the people who were truly in charge of Discovery (from the perspective of being the most influential people in the community) were not okay with that. So once we had achieved the development team's assent to be "canon" in the Discovery universe, we acknowledged that our time as players and as writers and developers had come to an end. Anything from then on was up to the will of the development team, who I had a higher trust in than the community as a whole.

In my many years volunteering for Discovery Freelancer, I had held many roles. I had been a faction second-in-command, a faction leader, a writer, a system developer, a modeller, a programmer, and a core trusted developer with access to the anticheat source code. In one of the "darkest hours" of the game's lifespan I was the programmer who developed the anticheat software that stopped the hacks that were devastating the server.

More important than all of that, though, I made friends. And from there, I built a small "community" of people, made of a combination of the people from Discovery who I came to consider friends and the people in my real life who were my other closest friends. Freelancer is no longer a concern for any of us, but we are still the best of friends. We are all doing what we consider the best for ourselves, and we all shitpost at each other every day in Discord, because we truly give a poo poo about each other.

Freelancer, through various methods, brought us all together, and gave a few of us some significant insights into the world of game development. But more important than any of that, Freelancer gave us all a close friendship that none of us will ever forget or trivialize.

Godspeed, Freelancer Alpha 1-1. Good flying.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
The Kruger container wreck is a bit of an oddity because it is a loot the same as any ship wreck and the storage container back in Texas disaster cloud, BUT it doesn't show up on the star map as a bright red X like wrecks normally do.
It shows up as tiny blurry container icon that blends annoyingly well in the cloud background of the map.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Watching the stuff about the Taus and the Sigmas, I think I should talk about the Discovery RP server and my involvement.

For those who played Disco, I'm the guy who ran the Vagrant Raiders, and later Natio Octavarium. In the context of the roleplaying environment of the Discovery mod official server, we were originally (under a different leader) a Lane Hacker affiliated fleet that eventually became an independent pirate/mercenary faction that allied with the Bundschuh, the Hackers, and the Outcasts. We smuggled cardamine from Omicron Alpha to Manhattan, and Black Market Munitions back from Detroit Munitions (one trade lane over from Manhattan) back to Omicron Alpha, or Tau-44, where we eventually found ourselves based out of. In the current(?) version of Discovery, we operate(d) a space station called Canberra Star City in Tau-44, one jump off of Tau-23, operating as a sort of politically-questionable starbase in the region.

What we wanted to do was to be a sort of quasi-neutral intermediary between the major unlawful factions in the neighbourhood (the Outcasts and the Gallic remnant -- for those purely focused on the canon Freelancer LP, the Gallic stuff won't mean much to you) and the local quasi-lawfuls (the Crayter Republic -- a barely-disguised Battlestar Galactica import -- and the Independent Miners Guild). What we ended up being was a Junkers-like faction, wherein everyone wanted an excuse to shoot us but no one could muster a sufficient reason to do so. In "lore" we ended up being somewhat responsible for manufacturing a subset of the Discovery mod's open market ships, like the Raven VHF and the Waran bomber.

Natio Octavarium on the whole quit Discovery not for any particular mod development or server development or lore reason, but because of external community reasons. We had often hoped that the community would be more open and friendly but we had seen people in positions of power (or at least, positions of community influence) that were not as open as we were. My "second-in-command" was trans, as was my "third-in-command", and we all knew that the people who were truly in charge of Discovery (from the perspective of being the most influential people in the community) were not okay with that. So once we had achieved the development team's assent to be "canon" in the Discovery universe, we acknowledged that our time as players and as writers and developers had come to an end. Anything from then on was up to the will of the development team, who I had a higher trust in than the community as a whole.

In my many years volunteering for Discovery Freelancer, I had held many roles. I had been a faction second-in-command, a faction leader, a writer, a system developer, a modeller, a programmer, and a core trusted developer with access to the anticheat source code. In one of the "darkest hours" of the game's lifespan I was the programmer who developed the anticheat software that stopped the hacks that were devastating the server.

More important than all of that, though, I made friends. And from there, I built a small "community" of people, made of a combination of the people from Discovery who I came to consider friends and the people in my real life who were my other closest friends. Freelancer is no longer a concern for any of us, but we are still the best of friends. We are all doing what we consider the best for ourselves, and we all shitpost at each other every day in Discord, because we truly give a poo poo about each other.

Freelancer, through various methods, brought us all together, and gave a few of us some significant insights into the world of game development. But more important than any of that, Freelancer gave us all a close friendship that none of us will ever forget or trivialize.

Godspeed, Freelancer Alpha 1-1. Good flying.
That's all pretty amazing, and it all started due to a half-finished space game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I kinda wish that I was more involved in the multiplayer side of things back in the day, it sounds like it would have been a lot of fun. I did try a little multiplayer when it was first released but that was long before any mods were around.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160497

Sigma-17 is our first ternary star system and I believe that this is the first time that we have encountered green stars. There's not a whole lot in this system but it really is nice to look at.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
You left out a rather significant piece of landmark unwitnessed, but it is understandable, since it doesn't show up on the star map, doesn't show as a solar body, as a base or as a wreck with loot, so it's often missed or outright ignored.
The ruins of Freeport 7. Right on 3E.

Personal story time.
Back in the day I didn't use the wiki or read the ingame news. My explorations were done mostly by hand by following patrol routes and Freeport 7 was something I wanted to find, but I didn't know it was in Sigma-17. I went around, system to system, comparing the position of stars like an old sea captain to the position I saw in the intro cutscene.
I came through the Sigma-19 jump gate and saw the trinary stars. I aligned my ship to match the colored stars positions as they were in the intro and cruised forward until I found the unmarked ruins. Roughly 10k away from the jump gate.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I wonder why a pharmaceutical company would have its own starbase. Maybe for the alien organisms.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Zero-g required chemical reactions?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

sb hermit posted:

I wonder why a pharmaceutical company would have its own starbase. Maybe for the alien organisms.

Here's something from the original Liberty design document (Hauser-Scott Biopharmaceuticals was renamed Cryer Pharmaceuticals in development; you can still find references to it in the game files, as Cryer's faction ID is co_hs_grp iirc):

quote:

A relatively new addition to the long history of Liberty companies, Hauser-Scott Biopharmaceuticals is a promising young upstart. While they hold several significant patents, they have still not perfected their ultimate goal: an anti-aging drug. Rumors abound that with substantial backing from the Liberty elite they are financing a number of expeditions to border worlds in search of genetic material from undiscovered flora and fauna that may provide the ultimate solution.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lulti posted:

You left out a rather significant piece of landmark unwitnessed, but it is understandable, since it doesn't show up on the star map, doesn't show as a solar body, as a base or as a wreck with loot, so it's often missed or outright ignored.
The ruins of Freeport 7. Right on 3E.

Personal story time.
Back in the day I didn't use the wiki or read the ingame news. My explorations were done mostly by hand by following patrol routes and Freeport 7 was something I wanted to find, but I didn't know it was in Sigma-17. I went around, system to system, comparing the position of stars like an old sea captain to the position I saw in the intro cutscene.
I came through the Sigma-19 jump gate and saw the trinary stars. I aligned my ship to match the colored stars positions as they were in the intro and cruised forward until I found the unmarked ruins. Roughly 10k away from the jump gate.

:doh: I've been planning to show this off since day one. I even had a bookmark for it next to a bookmark for the wiki as a constant reminder. I'll work something out before the next update.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Since I posted that excerpt I realized I should probably post a link, so here's the original pre-production design document for the history of House Liberty: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwXxYR205RONLdileblJ1Ac1MoTbdKl_/view?usp=sharing

Note that for the final release, Valhalla Research became Ageira Technologies (the Communications Corp was also merged in), Monument Engineering became Deep Space Engineering, NutraForm became Synth Foods, Sirius Shipping became Universal Shipping, and Hauser-Scott became Cryer.

e: I will also note that the author of this document has since changed her name to Robin Todd and that the email address within the document is no longer valid.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 22, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Time to write a wrong. I was tempted to add this to the start of a Sigma-19 tour but in the end, I thought that I'd dedicate a short video towards it. I apologise for forgetting to include this in the first place and thank you to Lulti for reminding me about it.

quote:

Freeport 7 was a Zoner base located in the Sigma 17 system. Like all Freeports, it was considered neutral ground for all factions in Sirius, serving as a trading facility for all walks of life from around the galaxy. Freeport 7 was a Zoner base located in the Sigma 17 system. Like all Freeports, it was considered neutral ground for all factions in Sirius, serving as a trading facility for all walks of life from around the galaxy.[

Apparently, the intro video wasn't recorded in Sigma-17:

quote:

Curiously, the intro movie where Freeport 7 gets destroyed by the Nomads is not played in the Sigma-17 system, but rather in an entirely different system that cannot be reached. The player can discover this for themselves by comparing the lighting of the intro sequence with the way the location looks in-game: Sigma-17 is brighter, has a slightly different background, all three stars emit a sun sphere, and the stars are in slightly different locations. It's not clear why the developers chose to build an entire system for this one cutscene when a sequence script would have had the same effect.

Kazinsal posted:

Since I posted that excerpt I realized I should probably post a link, so here's the original pre-production design document for the history of House Liberty: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwXxYR205RONLdileblJ1Ac1MoTbdKl_/view?usp=sharing

Note that for the final release, Valhalla Research became Ageira Technologies (the Communications Corp was also merged in), Monument Engineering became Deep Space Engineering, NutraForm became Synth Foods, Sirius Shipping became Universal Shipping, and Hauser-Scott became Cryer.

e: I will also note that the author of this document has since changed her name to Robin Todd and that the email address within the document is no longer valid.

Thank you for the link, I've been reading through it bit by bit. Am I reading it correctly that The Order was originally established to be almost eight centuries old?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

[/url]

New Information: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160530

The last of the Sigma systems and there's nothing too unusual about it apart from the solitary trade lane between two points. The Omicron systems are up next, there are five in total but two of those are now closed off to us as they were only part of the story missions. We're now on the home stretch of this LP, I only have seven more videos planned.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Thank you for the link, I've been reading through it bit by bit. Am I reading it correctly that The Order was originally established to be almost eight centuries old?

Yep! There's a few references to that still being canon in rumours on the Osiris, I think. In what I like to call "extended canon" (ie. inferences from rumours combined with the development docs and a few extended cutscenes) the idea of the Order being a fringe terrorist group is sort of a cover for how the Order manages to "acquire" cutting edge technology and steal the LSF's next-generation battleship while officially being outlaws; the Osiris was built at Juneau Shipyard in Alaska and "stolen" from there by the Order. In reality though the Order appropriated it and its prototype Nomad-derived technology to stave off the Nomad threat around the same time as the infection of Admiral Schultzky and the upper echelon of the Rheinland Empire was discovered.

I can't remember if this ever comes up in dialogue or rumours in-game but the lore/canon name for the Nomads as given to them by the Daam-K'vosh is "Slomon-K'hara". Also I've got like a decade of quasi-canon post-Digital Anvil Freelancer writing in my head from thousands of hours involved in Discovery and it's kind of hard to separate the two but I'm doing what I can to try to keep things to a relatively "official" level of canon.

Discovery canon ahead (so definitely not anything Digital Anvil wrote): After the "failure" of the Osiris project, the LSF split their efforts into two streams: one was a "battlecruiser" that was lighter and more manoeuvreable than the Overlord-class dreadnought while containing higher-tech sensors and a rapider deployment capability, and the other was the Spyglass-class electronic warfare dreadnought, the prototype of which was eventually stolen by a defecting LSF-Navy joint task force. The Interdictor-class battlecruiser eventually became a production model, and the Spyglass and its prototype hulls were refit into multiple distinct and unique dreadnoughts by the R&D teams of three different factions. The Lane Hackers washed their hands of the project (but kept some of the tech around for a cruiser-sized EWAR platform), the Vagrant Raiders refit their Spyglass flagship as the Spyglass Mk II-class Metropolis before disappearing off into the cosmos forever, and the Liberty Insurgency stripped out the EWAR capabilities in favour of more armour and more guns in the form of the Arbiter-class dreadnought.

e: let me know if my ramblings are unwanted or, less likely, if there's something specific you want me to talk about. I have a bit of esoteric knowledge about stuff that was supposed to happen in Freelancer and its lore due to spending a disturbing amount of my life in the modding and reverse engineering scene and a lot of knowledge about stuff that's not quite canon (as in, it's not in the game itself) but explains stuff about the universe that the base game leaves out

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Mar 1, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fun Freelancer fact: There's a couple lists of hardcoded faction IDs in the game EXE (or maybe DLLS/content.dll? it's been a while since I've checked, and Freelancer's architecture is best summarized with the :magical: smiley) for specific purposes. One of them is "factions that will always be -0.9 and don't show up on your rep screen", and this contains fc_n_grp and whatever the IDs are for Nomad Infected ships (eg. the "Rheinland Military" ships in the third? mission that are infected). The other is a list of factions to reset your affiliation with if you buy a new ship after the fourth mission -- in the base game, this is set to gd_bh_grp for the Bounty Hunters Guild. In mission 4, BHG gets set to -0.6 (iirc) because the Navy puts out a bounty on your ship. If you buy a new ship between then and mission 8, any factions in that list get set to -0.2.

For more "what the gently caress, Digital Anvil", the act of setting the BHG to -0.6 is in the mission INI file for M04, but the reset is hardcoded in the ship purchase function and checks against whether you're in singleplayer or multiplayer and what mission range you're on if you're in singleplayer.

Other fun rep things: Unlawful factions won't show rumours until you're +0.4 with them. Lawful and neutral factions will show rumours at +0.2. Bribes will add however much you're missing to get to +0.6; if you find two bribes at the same time you can get bumped all the way up to +0.9; in multiplayer if you get a rep of +0.9 you show that faction's shortname before your character name on other players' screens. If you manually get set to +1.0 (not possible in normal gameplay; needs to be done by server-side plugins, because yes, there's an extremely hacky plugin framework for FLServer) you can shoot at your own NPCs without them going hostile on you.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Mar 1, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've been playing around with the reputation system for the last couple of pages worth of updates and there's a screenshot at the top of this page from the save editor that I'm using. I always made sure to set the reputations of each base owner to +0.4 or above regardless of who they were to ensure that they would speak to me. I haven't read too far into the ini files but I know that you can set the difficulty level to 0 which is essentially god mode.

Here is the full list of factions:

fc_ln_grp = Corrupt Liberty Navy
li_n_grp = Liberty Navy
li_lsf_grp = Liberty Security Force
li_p_grp = Liberty Police, Inc.
br_n_grp = Bretonia Armed Forces
br_p_grp = Bretonia Police
fc_kn_grp = Corrupt Kusari Naval Forces
ku_n_grp = Kusari Naval Forces
ku_p_grp = Kusari State Police
rh_n_grp = Rheinland Military
fc_rn_grp = Corrupt Rheinland Military
rh_p_grp = Rheinland Police
co_shi_grp = Samura Industries
co_khc_grp = Daumann Heavy Construction
co_kt_grp = Kishiro Technologies
br_m_grp = BMM
co_me_grp = Deep Space Engineering
co_be_grp = Border World Exports
co_rs_grp = Republican Shipping
co_vr_grp = Ageira Technologies
co_ni_grp = Synth Foods, Inc.
rh_m_grp = Kruger Minerals
co_ti_grp = Planetform, Inc.
co_ic_grp = Interspace Commerce
co_ss_grp = Universal Shipping
co_hsp_grp = Cryer Pharmaceuticals
co_alg_grp = ALG Waste Disposal
co_os_grp = Orbital Spa and Cruise
co_nws_grp = Gateway Shipping
fc_c_grp = Corsairs
fc_ou_grp = Outcasts
fc_rh_grp = Red Hessians
fc_bd_grp = Blood Dragons
fc_j_grp = Junkers
fc_h_grp = Hogosha
fc_m_grp = Mollys
fc_x_grp = Xenos
fc_b_grp = Bundschuh
fc_g_grp = Gaians
fc_lh_grp = Lane Hackers
fc_u_grp = Unioners
fc_gc_grp = Golden Crysanthemums
fc_lwb_grp = LWB
fc_fa_grp = Farmers Alliance
fc_lr_grp = Liberty Rogues
fc_or_grp = The Order
gd_gm_grp = Gas Miners Guild
fc_n_grp = Nomads
gd_im_grp = Independent Miners Guild
gd_z_grp = Zoners
gd_bh_grp = Bounty Hunters Guild
fc_ouk_grp = Kress's Men
fc_uk_grp = <no name>*
fc_f_grp = Fugitive
fc_q_grp = Quintaine's Men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The recording of Omicron Alpha went well...