Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

OutofSight posted:

Probably skipping some corporate/government tax. I am more confused how can a ton of Boron (which is a proper trade good in the game) can yield that amount of profit. Must be some impressive tax.
I dimly recall reading a book while doing long haul trade loops so I can imagine it is very much a "service fee" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

N17R4M posted:

Freelancer is a good game. I wish there was something on-par to fill the void.

MP used to be pretty good if I recall, with some wild dogfights, and on some modded (and often RP) servers full on capitalship battles.
The only game I've found since that have scratched the same itch is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Honourable mention to Darkstar One. Same dumb b-movie vibe from that plot.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Double post I know but I forgot to post the screenshots :doh: :

Screenshots from the first update

Personal Logs: https://imgur.com/a/brAoLoO

News Stories: https://imgur.com/a/thvH1Fn

Rumours: https://imgur.com/a/WZwctX9

If you don't want all the screenshots cluttering up the thread but you do want them together and maybe with some description text around it, the SSLP test poster is the ideal place to do so.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's been a while since I played this, are the rogue ships only available if you go down the route of befriending them? I don't want to get into spoiler territory but I know that they have their own type of ships.

Your rating with them goes down very quickly as you go down the main story line or do missions for most of the other factions. Of course you can always change it but it has the potential to really prolong the game (since you have to delay some missions and likely use alternate means of travel). If you want to show off their content, you probably have two options: visit their base really early in the game, before things heat up. You'd have to do some trade hauls or something to afford the ships. Or make a save some time after a big score and have a 'pirate run' where you go rogue to see what it's like. Not sure what the best point for that would be. Piracy isn't terribly viable, or exciting, so it might just be enough to show what the ship is like if you want to do that.

e: The spoiler doesn't give away any specifics about the later game, just wanted to put it there for people who'd rather see the game as it comes.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 15, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

A multiplayer server with some reputation changes done might also be an option.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you don't want all the screenshots cluttering up the thread but you do want them together and maybe with some description text around it, the SSLP test poster is the ideal place to do so.

I would've figured there's a Freelancer wiki somewhere that's transcribed them. But not something I've looked into.

I kinda wish I could replay the game buuuuut I don't have a DVD driver on my computer. :v:
And :filez: is such a hassle to deal with.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 15, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, I explore Pittsburgh's bar, commodity trader, equipment dealer and ship dealer to go through the rest of the mechanics within bases. I eventually joined King in space to complete the second part of the tutorial mission. This recording went through numerous restarts with trying to get comfortable with dealing with the mechanics and controls, this recording feels far from perfect but I felt comfortable with how this ended up to upload it. I will look more closely at equipment and stats within the next two or three videos as I'm going to spend some time taking on various jobs and exploring the system, we can explore equipment options as the funds start to come in.

I feel like I may have to reconfigure a couple of buttons, it's a little uncomfortable with my fingers and thumb hovering over the speed, afterburner and loot buttons at the same time. The reverse look button is right next to the loot button and I found myself catching it far too often, looking down to make sure that I'm hitting the right button means that I lose control momentarily. I'll look into a more comfortable setup for myself. That debris knocking me off course took me by complete surprise, I had to rewatch it again to see exactly what happened. The momentary pause at the end of the video is because I thought that the game had crashed when the music sputtered into nothingness. There's still a lot of improvements to be made, now that I have some free reign I can get more practice.

Thank you to Carbon dioxide for suggesting the SSLP test poster for the screenshots, I've edited everything down to size: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158271

Edits: Grammar.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 15, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Here is the extended intro which has been remastered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9OCaGFoQEU

This game also has quite the cast list:

Edison Trent is voiced by Ian Ziering (Beverley Hills 90210, Biker Mice From Mars... Sharknado and more) and Jun'ko Zane is voiced by Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect (Commander Shephard) as well as hundreds of other games and shows as numerous characters and voices). Both of them were also voice actors in Mighty Ducks too.

We will also be hearing John Rhys-Davies, George Takei and Christopher Lee later on in the game.

It’s also got Tony Jay, Charles Shaughnessy, Xander Berkeley, Cree Summer, Rob Paulsen, Maurice LaMarche, James Horan, and John Kassir, among many others.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Not a fan of missile launchers?

I admit the projectile speed is a joke, especially with the slower types like the Javelin. The only effective tactic i found with them against non-stationary targets was basically "shotgun jousting" those things: Shot away the shields with your guns and when the enemy ship charges towards you, hit that afterburner and release a missile at short-ish range. Satisfying.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

OutofSight posted:

Not a fan of missile launchers?

I'll get around to using them at some point.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Missiles are good on ships that have a lot of mounts that would probably overspend your energy if you were to use them all, like the Rhino. (as an aside, sometimes upgrading your weapons is actually detrimental to your performance, higher tiers are usually less energy efficient, and you can't shoot more than your energy allows you to) A single level appropriate missile launcher won't really tax your income much even if you use it regularly, and it helps dispatch ships much quicker. You also might want to mix and match different kinds of missiles for killing stationary targets in the story missions because you can only have 50 of each type of missile in your cargo.

To use the travel lane network faster, learn to love the "free flight" button. You can select dock, wait for your ship to point itself in the right derection and go to cruise mode, then switch to free flight, and only switch to dock again when you're almost inside the gate. You'll only have a second or so of slow going before speeding up in the lane. Works with other stuff in the game too, like docking with planets. Try not to overshoot when docking with planets this way, tho :v: Also works with waypoints that you don't want to slow down for, just without the dock button.

You'd sell the nanobots and batteries because you don't expect to need them for easy missions and want to make room for looted ones (their price is the same when selling and buying)

my dad fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 15, 2021

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you look at the size of your ship and relative distances, I'm pretty sure those planets are absolutely tiny.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

my dad posted:

Missiles are good on ships that have a lot of mounts that would probably overspend your energy if you were to use them all, like the Rhino. (as an aside, sometimes upgrading your weapons is actually detrimental to your performance, higher tiers are usually less energy efficient, and you can't shoot more than your energy allows you to) A single level appropriate missile launcher won't really tax your income much even if you use it regularly, and it helps dispatch ships much quicker. You also might want to mix and match different kinds of missiles for killing stationary targets in the story missions because you can only have 50 of each type of missile in your cargo.

To use the travel lane network faster, learn to love the "free flight" button. You can select dock, wait for your ship to point itself in the right derection and go to cruise mode, then switch to free flight, and only switch to dock again when you're almost inside the gate. You'll only have a second or so of slow going before speeding up in the lane. Works with other stuff in the game too, like docking with planets. Try not to overshoot when docking with planets this way, tho :v: Also works with waypoints that you don't want to slow down for, just without the dock button.

You'd sell the nanobots and batteries because you don't expect to need them for easy missions and want to make room for looted ones (their price is the same when selling and buying)

Missiles would have been good against the weapons platforms, this is one area where they'd be key to have with me.

I will learn to be more efficient but that's going to come with time. I appreciate the advice and will always welcome and try to implement it as I'm playing, practising and adapting before each update. I'm going to state right now that I will most likely be making cardinal errors even right up until the end of this LP.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you look at the size of your ship and relative distances, I'm pretty sure those planets are absolutely tiny.

They are tiny and it goes even further. I'll post a quote from gameheaven.nl forum, I won't post a direct link as it contains spoilers:

quote:

You know what happens if you get too close to a sun, you'll get a warning "Danger entering Sun corona" and if you get closer you hull will get damaged very quick.
But try this, try to collide with the sun. You must try this in the small systems where you can get close to the sun (like 6-7 K) before you get into the corona. Now keep flying with your cruise engines on, and constanty use your nanobots to repair your ship (did I tell you'll need a strong ship with a maximum amount of nanobots?) When you get to the sun itself, you don't explode or something else you would expect, but you bounce of! Quite funny to see that, and you'll also notice that the sun isn't that big as you would expect it to be.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 16, 2021

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

That explains so much, SC is just a massive case of overcompensation.
"They made fun of my small planets. I'll show them. I'll show them all!"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I can kind of forgive this game the tiny planets. Given what this game was trying to do, the only alternative I think would be something like the X series, where an entire sector is scaled to basically be just one Lagrange point.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Groetgaffel posted:

The only game I've found since that have scratched the same itch is Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Honourable mention to Darkstar One. Same dumb b-movie vibe from that plot.

I loved Darkstar One and it sits just behind Freelancer as my favorite space fuckaround game.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I like the breaks from reality this game makes. Most Sci Fi is unrealistic as hell anyway, and trading some more in favor of fun is good. Planets look cool, landing sequences look cool, and it makes the game more memorable. Static trade lanes are a ridiculous concept, but they give the game a sense of scale withing a single system while still greatly reducing travel times and creating some interesting things you can do.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Did you know that a Norwegian power metal band made a pretty awesome song about this game?

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Keldian are massive nerds, and all their albums are huge love-letters to sci-fi! :D

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hey, that is actually... pretty great!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

AtomikKrab posted:

220 million... covers most of the planet... Come on, just put a B in there.

Yeah, I had a real 'Hang on a second...' moment.

Course, the planet could be tiny.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I guess we should consider the possibility that these are just really small, very high density planets. That explains everything!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Gothsheep posted:

I guess we should consider the possibility that these are just really small, very high density planets. That explains everything!

The other possibility is, those planets were US colonies and traditional out-of-control sprawl/McMansions got a little out of hand.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Kobal2 posted:

The other possibility is, those planets were US colonies and traditional out-of-control sprawl/McMansions got a little out of hand.

I buy it. Middle-managers and upwards* have just miles and miles of appartment, filled with useless crap. Would explain why every planet just has that ONE bar, where everybody relevant to Trent somehow shows up.
(Besides the obvious explanation "It is a videogame". Freelancer even more so.)

*(All Workers are obviously in the Texas system)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'll wait until post-game to ruin any immersion in terms of scale. Although to give you an idea, I did bounce off of a planet halfway through the second video. I've not had a lot of free time this week due to work and child care but I've been able to play enough to put together a plan of action. The next update will feature a new weapon configuration, including missiles, I will be delving into the job board to see where it takes us and I plan to visit two or three stations. After that, I will do some jobs behind the scenes to pick up a new ship, then I'll explore another part of the system and take on a couple of other jobs with a different setup to show off how the new ship handles. I'll make sure to announce and label any further update that continues the storyline so nobody misses out on it as I'm sure not everyone will enjoy me dicking about for a few updates.

I have some free time on Saturday and I intend to just hit record and play a couple of sessions for an hour or two each time.

Also, I will leave the rogue ships until post-game if there is no way for me to attain them during a natural run. I know that I could live the life of piracy and such but that isn't the intent of this playthrough. There are going to be save games in every system and the game autosaves during checkpoints during the story missions, it won't be too much effort to load up an old save and live the bad boy lifestyle.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Are you going to be exploring any alternate means of raising money in the 'freelancing' bits? I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say this 'earn X amount of money and then come back for more story' is going to be a reoccurring mechanic, and doing missions ended up being my least favorite way to do it. My favorite method was always discovering wrecks. And by 'discovering' I mean 'using a guide to tell me where the most valuable wrecks were located in whatever system I was in'.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

Are you going to be exploring any alternate means of raising money in the 'freelancing' bits? I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say this 'earn X amount of money and then come back for more story' is going to be a reoccurring mechanic, and doing missions ended up being my least favorite way to do it. My favorite method was always discovering wrecks. And by 'discovering' I mean 'using a guide to tell me where the most valuable wrecks were located in whatever system I was in'.

Hahaha yes I fully intend to be doing exactly that! I'm going to try to hunt them all down if I can.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Big, long, risky trade runs are worth an episode of their own. There's some amazing smuggling you can do midgame due to plot-based reputation stuff. There's even an excellent freighter you can only get then.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, trade runs can be pretty nice. Even legal goods can have high profit margins, and one big advantage is that trading doesn't worsen your standing with factions.

my dad posted:

Big, long, risky trade runs are worth an episode of their own. There's some amazing smuggling you can do midgame due to plot-based reputation stuff. There's even an excellent freighter you can only get then.

I can't remember this, which freighter is that?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Torrannor posted:

I can't remember this, which freighter is that?

YX Dromedary, at the Lane Hackers base you visit. Mediocre armor, but 275 cargo space and much more agile than you'd expect a ship like that to be.

e: It's probably my favorite ship in the game, alongside the starting ship, and another ship we won't be seeing for quite a while.

my dad fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 18, 2021

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

Gothsheep posted:

(oh god who invited the math nerd)

The flavor text explains that the colony was started 800 years before. How many colonists do we think there were? Maybe a million?

Now let's say the colony had a constant population growth of 1.2 (each generation had 1.2 people for each person in the previous generation). We are assuming ideal math in which case every single person gets married and no one dies before reproducing. Every couple has 2.4 children, and every colonist is part of a couple. We are also assuming a generational length of twenty years (everyone begins reproducing when they reach age 20).

800 years is forty generations, so we're talking about 1,000,000 * 1.2^40 for our total population at the end of 800 years. That gives us a total population of roughly 1.5 billion.

So 220 million is way too low, but 220 billion is WAY too high for forty generations of reproducing (unless the colony was started with a lot more than a million people, which is possible).

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
One trick I loved doing after learning it was killing my engines (default to Z button, I think it was) and letting the momentum fly me in a straight line while turning around and shooting back at whatever is chasing me with forward guns while flying backwards.
Also good for strafing by stationary objects like those defence platforms without need to play one sided chicken straight into their guns.
Another fun thing with engine killing is the way I could do 90 degree or even sharper turns by using afterburner with engines killed and your momentum would be instantly changed to the new direction.

Of course such trickery is left moot with turrets that can shoot behind you by default and mines. Also blindly hurtling yourself backwards or sideways can lead you into bumping against enviromental hazards.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I never actually made it past the second arc of the campaign storyline. But the multiplayer, man, the multiplayer ruled especially with some of the mods. I had a "pirate train" superfreighter which could haul like 4500 units of space drugs at a time. It made bank on the Omicron Alpha-Manhattan run when I could get past the bloodthirsty battlecruisers of the Liberty Navy. Whenever I ran into LNS Suzannah he'd just open fire right at me because he knew I was always hauling contraband and always tried to run for it.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Lulti posted:

One trick I loved doing after learning it was killing my engines (default to Z button, I think it was) and letting the momentum fly me in a straight line while turning around and shooting back at whatever is chasing me with forward guns while flying backwards.
Also good for strafing by stationary objects like those defence platforms without need to play one sided chicken straight into their guns.
Another fun thing with engine killing is the way I could do 90 degree or even sharper turns by using afterburner with engines killed and your momentum would be instantly changed to the new direction.

Of course such trickery is left moot with turrets that can shoot behind you by default and mines. Also blindly hurtling yourself backwards or sideways can lead you into bumping against enviromental hazards.

My main combat trick was feathering the afterburner. Later on in the game when you start taking huge fusillades of enemy fire, rapidly tapping the afterburner button while turning seemed like the only way to survive for any amount of time.

One thing I did always dislike about the ships in this game was how there was a clear progression in the fighters. Unlike, say, Freespace 2 where each fighter had a specific role, or the X series where different ships had their own strengths and weaknesses, in Freelancer there was more of a straight progression. The different classes, Light/Heavy/VHF still matter, but as the game world opens up, the new fighters you get access to are just going to be straight-up statistically better. I understand that player progression is a thing and you need to have the player progressively getting stronger, but I feel like there was a better way to do that than to have Liberty fighters be the worst ships in the galaxy.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

my dad posted:

YX Dromedary

I flew this thing for an embarrassingly long time. A great ship for someone who wants to do midgame exploring and trade.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Lulti posted:

Toggling Newton on at peak afterburner is also a good way to escape or cross large distances without using jump gates.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Freelancer was one of my favourite games growing up, and the lack of a lets play has always rankled me. Good to see someone biting the bullet!

I pretty much always went with combat missions as my primary money-maker method. The main story is pretty much all combat missions, which heavily nudged me towards using a fighter anyway. I'm in space! Shooting space guns! Why would I ever want to just potter around _not_ shooting things?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, I explore some of the job varieties as well as visiting a couple of new area in this system. I recorded for over an hour and a half earlier and I feel like I'm able to post a couple of updates from it, I think that it's going to take another recording session or two to get into the swing of things. I'm more used to doing LP's of adventure games which are mostly linear in how they play. There are a lot of variables in this game which means every playthrough is going to be different, in terms of gameplay that's great but it's throwing me off a little with recording and commentary. Everything seems to flow with the testing phase as I get nice equipment drops, a wide range of missions to choose from, some relatively smooth dogfighting and the odd but funny glitch or two. When I hit record it all seems to jump out the window, I'm still adjusting but getting more comfortable the more that it continues.

I do employ a new weapon layout for this video and stick with it throughout this video. Now that I've at least shown off some of the various types of jobs I'll be doing more to raise money for a new ship, I'll make sure to keep the record button on in case anything interesting shows up.

Before I go into the new weapons layout in this video, I feel like I may have made an error in regards to missiles. I know that the 'Stalker' specifically states that it's excellent in its homing abilities. Does this mean that the other missile systems aren't guided in some way or are they just limited in comparison to the Stalker? It may take some time to get used to the new guns, I like their damage output but they're a tad on the slow side.

my dad posted:

Trade runs will definitely be on the cards later on.

As for the pro-strats, I will probably start to try them out as time goes on and behind the scenes, especially at first. Right now I'm doing my best not to slam constantly into debris and other ships.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Freelancer was one of my favorite games when I was younger and the mod/online scene was great.

Given that it's the economic hub for like, all the planets/systems you likely have a gently caress ton of space devoted to industry and logistic poo poo/other industrial sprawl.

As for the population there is like a million different reasons why it could be low.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Watching those videos, everything just floods back... and I finally can put words to something that annoyed 17 year old me but I didn't have the words to understand or describe it then. Namely : in this (and many, many other space pewpews) it's goddamn impossible to have any strategic or even tactical sight picture whatsoever. Your entire engagements are dictated by tunnel vision : you target the nearest rear end in a top hat, effortlessly get on his 6 (maybe do a mutual game of chicken first), match speed, shoot at it until it blows up, then hit the "next nearest target" and so on.

You have *no idea* what anyone else is doing, or where you're going. You're just a space goldie, constantly chasing after the next mailman's truck. And there's really no other way to fight or play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kobal2 posted:

Watching those videos, everything just floods back... and I finally can put words to something that annoyed 17 year old me but I didn't have the words to understand or describe it then. Namely : in this (and many, many other space pewpews) it's goddamn impossible to have any strategic or even tactical sight picture whatsoever. Your entire engagements are dictated by tunnel vision : you target the nearest rear end in a top hat, effortlessly get on his 6 (maybe do a mutual game of chicken first), match speed, shoot at it until it blows up, then hit the "next nearest target" and so on.

You have *no idea* what anyone else is doing, or where you're going. You're just a space goldie, constantly chasing after the next mailman's truck. And there's really no other way to fight or play the game.

imagine doing this with a keyboard and also much harder. That was wing commander.

I think the last open world space sim I really played was privateer 2. Very "scifi channel" vibes but the graphics were gorgeous for the time (real 3d software rendered svga). Too bad it crashed all the dang time.

This game is really impressive, though... it really feels alive.