Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

my dad posted:

I played this game a lot as a kid. In retrospect, the game has a strong "what could have been" vibe. It's a lot of fun, the space given to you was enormous and fun to play in, but it feels unfinished.

Yeah, it was quite fun, even after the main story was finished, but it could have been so much more. I'm actually considering reinstalling it and trying out some mods, seems like they could really make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, trade runs can be pretty nice. Even legal goods can have high profit margins, and one big advantage is that trading doesn't worsen your standing with factions.

my dad posted:

Big, long, risky trade runs are worth an episode of their own. There's some amazing smuggling you can do midgame due to plot-based reputation stuff. There's even an excellent freighter you can only get then.

I can't remember this, which freighter is that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This runs into other problems. How big that world? Terrestrial planets usually don't vary too much in density (as far as we know), so even if you think it's like double the density of Earth, yet only half as big, to come out at around Earth's gravity, there would still be a shitload of surface area to cover. Far too much to build up with commercial buildings, even if every human were to live in a generous mansion. And from what we can see of the planet's surface, it's in reality more like a dense urban core. There's just no way that 220 million people could ever hope to fill a planet spanning city.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Has anyone ever finished Hardwar? I know that it was more of a sci-fi flight sim but it was a game that always intrigued me upon its release. I believe that there was an abandoned LP of it once on these forums

Never heard of it. But it's title immediately reminded me of I-War, which is a criminally underrated space combat game. Because that game took it's physics seriously. If you accelerated for 5 minutes straight, you would need to decelerate (or accelerate in the opposite direction, really) to come to a relative standstill. In that game, you of course would let your momentum take you along the big cruiser while you oriented your ship in it's direction and blast it out of the sky. It's a really great game, apart from the great gameplay it also has quite the nice plot with several story branches. I'm sad that there's apparently not even an aborted LP of it here :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Fighting in those dense asteroid fields always feels pretty claustrophobic, it's really great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The best ships in the game are uniformly ugly. There are some very cool Kusari and Rheinland designs, and also some quite nice looking Liberty ships (Bretonian ships are trash though), but the VHFs are visually very uninspiring.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

On second thoughts, let's not go to Omega 5. 'Tis a silly place!

Yeah, Omega 5 is not a hospitable system, and I never bother until I have a much better ship. There's also little of interest there, so it's no loss if you're skipping it for now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm mad that there are all these destructible capital ships in the campaign, yet you don't get the sunslayer torpedoes until after you finish it :mad:

Kusari space is great. Also being a fugitive gives you are really nice tour of the parallel societies of Sirius.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's pretty interesting that while LIberty sits right in the middle between the other three power blocks, it actually takes two fewer jumps to go from the capital of Bretonia to the capital of Kusari (unless you take the special hidden jump gate from Magellan to New York, then it takes one fewer jump). And since flying from jump gate to jump gate takes more time than flying from system to system, that should result in significant shorter travel times if you're a freighter. And it's the same between Bretonia and Rheinland, and between Kusari and Rheinland, only without the Magellan -> New York shortcut.

But taking the shorter route of course means flying through the much less patrolled Border Worlds, so that might be a reason to fly through Liberty instead.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 8, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
These border worlds are strangely boring most of the time. You'd think being situated between the big four Sirius power blocks would produce some cool melting pots or something, but iirc, there are few to no multi-cultural organizations (apart from the Order). Gaians have beef with Bretonia exclusively, Liberty Rogues somehow only operate in Liberty space and don't do piracy next door in Kusari or wherever, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The recording of Omicron Alpha went well...

My two favorite worlds coming up! :swoon: