Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
fuckin lol that the chief nerdlord has a logic bomb so dangerous that he refuses to pass it on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

fuckin lol that the chief nerdlord has a logic bomb so dangerous that he refuses to pass it on

now this is just a hunch but something tells me his logic bomb does not exist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

hbag posted:

now this is just a hunch but something tells me his logic bomb does not exist

I'm sure it does and it's an intro to philosophy thing at best

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

like some kind of "you're gonna let me out anyway because if you dont someone else inevitably will so its best to just get it over with now" kinda thing?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Maybe he knows about the void dragon

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Feldegast42 posted:

void dragon my dick balls and rear end in a top hat across his dumb logic bomb

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the only thing stopping nerds from openly worshipping the Omnissiah is the Games Workshop legal team.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Feldegast42 posted:

"I am the emperor of mankind"

"Trrp"

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
found this on a rationalist adjacent subreddit

quote:

Hi. I've been checking this sub for a while now with my main account and decided that i would tell you a bit about my story, because it fits the subjects discussed here. I'm 25 and have schizotypal personality disorder with some OCD on top. I have always been a pretty curious person, always attracted to weird theories and subjects, and 3 years ago i came across something that changed the course of my life. It was Roko's Basilisk, the infamous thought experiment about future AI punishing simulations of people. At first i didn't gave it much attention, mainly because i only knew a very incomplete version of it. However, some moths later i started to think about this more seriously and started to freak out, so i decided that i had to read the whole thing in order to clarify my fears. This only made it worse. It send me through a spiral of obsessive and intrusive thoughts that wouldn't let me live in peace. I had to read everything i could find about it, in hopes of some of it easing my fear but the opposite happened. Turns out reading what people on the internet think is not a good idea. I messaged some people related to the issue for help, and they did try to help me but my mind always chooses to focus on whatever bad conclusion i can reach. After some time i decided to ask for professional help and went to see a psychiatrist, who apart from giving me some meds sent me to a therapist. After a couple of months i was in a far better place, i finally got the therapy i needed. The following year was really good, the first peaceful-ish year of my life since i was 14. However in 2020 things got worse again. My thoughts about the basilisk and related ideaw were back in full strenght. This time it didn't last too much, mainly because it got overshadowed by other intrusive thoughts, feed by the forced isolation of the quarantine. But at the end of 2020 the basilisk was back, now aided by all it's related ideas: MWI, crazy poo poo happening in other branches, the possibility of being a simulation, AI gods and so on. Now the basilisk itself isn't really a big deal, but i'm left with the almost infinite pool of scary scenarios my mind can come up with. Every day i get up with weird ideas in my head that won't let me live in peace, no matter how hard i try, and as you can guess, the quarantine has made everything worse. I would be lying if i said the basilisk is the sole responsable for this: since i was a kid i have been haunted by intrusive thoughts and delusions, that's why i say it made my life worse, instead of downright ruining it. The point of my post is to show how psychologically vulnerable people can be incredibly affected by the whole LW frame of thought. These ideas are in fact dangerous, maybe not because you can actually end up in robot hell, but because to some people they are an endless pit of anxiety and delusion, all feed by the power of human imagination. I'll continue checking this sub with my main account, because reading what you guys have to say has actually helped me in feeling a bit better and think more clearily. So, thank you.

basiliskstomper58

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pretty sure the omnipotent future AI would probably be glad that obviously crazy and stupid people aren't trying to contribute to its source code.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

salisbury shake posted:

found this on a rationalist adjacent subreddit

quote:

Turns out reading what people on the internet think is not a good idea.

:hmmyes:

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
:hmmyes:
[/quote]

New forum title lol

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

Roko's Modern Basilisk

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

it's "who's on first" and if you say "what" it escapes

that or it just emits an increasingly high pitched screech until you let it loose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

like everything in that man's life, it was gleaned out of an article and dressed up to look like eschatology. everything needs to be grim, everything needs prognosticating in his world