Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

tom bombadil fuckin owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Empty Sandwich posted:

all of this suicide troll talk reminds me that the Wil Huygen gnome books are interesting and sometimes grim.

these dudes:

I think Pick posted that poo poo once

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

There are naked gnomes inside that book

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

There are naked gnomes inside that book

I think the ones I saw must have been bowdlerized for Americans, bc I don't remember the gnome with her tits out that I saw while looking for the above picture.
what I did remember what the gnomes getting tortured by the trolls. :psyduck: all around

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
We had the gnomes popup book, it owns. No tits tho.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Any gnome book is a pop up book if you're thirsty enough.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I always loved Tom Bombadil as a kid, because he's like the last bit of silly before things get Real.

As an adult, I'm also coming around on the poetry, because it's still easier to read than Beowulf.

Still haven't really been able to get through the Silmarillion though.

The Hobbit is meant to be read aloud, though. It has the cadence and tone of a fireside story/oral tradition (which is what it was modeled on IIRC)

muffler
Feb 12, 2021

by sebmojo
tom bombadil was a holdover character from tolkiens earlier less developed writing that he could not bring himself to throw away (sound like anyone you know??)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tim Bombardier is the true protagonist of the series, he's OG

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
what had happened was, during the Ainulindale, one of the Ainur had to take a bathroom break but he was still humming to himself in the john and that part of the music became Tom Bombadil and even Eru Ilúvatar was like, "wtf is this poo poo?"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You should read your kids Crime and Punishment, it opens with a sick double murder and teaches a valuable lesson about how you can't get away with poo poo and also Siberia.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
More like hobBUTT lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

you could look for the baby versions of the stories that are 90% abridged down - kid gets to participate in the same dumb kid conversations about orcs and poo poo, 10% effort

Someone gave us Anime Black Beauty picture book for Christmas but now we're onto the novel and it's pretty rough.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Son of Rodney posted:

Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
Ring a dong! hop along! fal lal the willow!
Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! My darling!
Light goes the weather-wind and the feathered starling.
Down along under Hill, shining in the sunlight,
Waiting on the doorstep for the cold starlight,
There my pretty lady is, River-woman's daughter,
Slender as the willow-wand, clearer than the water.
Old Tom Bombadil water-lilies bringing
Comes hopping home again. Can you hear him singing?
Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! and merry-o,
Goldberry, Goldberry, merry yellow berry-o!
Poor old Willow-man, you tuck your roots away!
Tom's in a hurry now. Evening will follow day.
Tom's going home again water-lilies bringing.
Hey! Come derry dol! Can you hear me singing?

Suck my ring a dong dillo, bombadil you loving nerd

Little known fact: Tolkein meant for this to be sung to the tune of "Livin' in the Sunlight, Lovin' in the Moon Light" By Tiny Tim

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
if that's true his meter fuckin sucks

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
dong poems for kids

Edward Lear posted:

Slowly it wander, — pauses, — creeps, —
Anon it sparkles, — flashes and leaps;
And ever as onward it gleaming goes
A light on the Bong-tree stems it throws.
And those who watch at that midnight hour
From Hall or Terrace, or lofty Tower,
Cry, as the wild light passes along, —
"The Dong! — the Dong!
"The wandering Dong through the forest goes!
"The Dong! the Dong!
"The Dong with a luminous Nose!"

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

ohnobugs posted:

Just read him The Hobbit it's shorter and better

correct on both accounts regarding hobbits

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The eagles are the size of small elephants. They were only able to fly into Mordor after Sauron's magic was dispersed and his armies were in disarray. To give you an idea of how much magical power Sauron was pumping into his land, Barad-dűr fell over when Frodo threw the ring into Sammath Naur.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also the eagles were dicks and didn't feel like it.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

if that's true his meter fuckin sucks

He meant the reader to read it fast and skip over words.

Also little known fact, Tolkine never meant people to think this hard about his books

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Fuckin lol dude the eagles couldn't even get out of hotel california let alone get into morder

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Ventral EggSac posted:

He meant the reader to read it fast and skip over words.

Also little known fact, Tolkine never meant people to think this hard about his books

You say this but any article or anecdote I've seen with him he comes off with strong, well actually fedora energy which suggests to me he takes his literature seriously

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

You say this but any article or anecdote I've seen with him he comes off with strong, well actually fedora energy which suggests to me he takes his literature seriously

That's just a persona he was forced into after it turned out people liked his books really hard, the real JRR just wanted to smoke weed and play mariokart with me in my mom's basement

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Also the eagles were dicks and didn't feel like it.

I'd go with this

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

the rare Oglaf comic without a

Edward Lear posted:

Dong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Couldn't make it through the Tree Beard chapter.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
hey can a turbonerd familiar with this junior tolkien dude confirm for me that he was racist as hell and his depiction of orcs should be viewed through the lens of tolkien personally being basically in line with goebbels or something? is that remotely true? and if so why isn't he being erased from popular culture like jk rowling is, only way more so?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Tolkien did express remorse for making entire races evil later in his life, I don’t think he was super racist just kind of accidentally was and realized later.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
In the first version of LoTR, Tom Bombadil would save the day by doing a dance around Sauron's tower to make it crash down before jizzing all over Mordor, flowers and crystal clear wells springing forth whereever his seed would touch the ground. Frodo keeps the One Ring and uses it to pull pranks on all sorts of creatures.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

He was a white well off British dude in early 20th century and obsessed with antiquity, of course he was racist af lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

In the first version of LoTR, Tom Bombadil would save the day by doing a dance around Sauron's tower to make it crash down before jizzing all over Mordor, flowers and crystal clear wells springing forth whereever his seed would touch the ground. Frodo keeps the One Ring and uses it to pull pranks on all sorts of creatures.

Yeah too bad that didnt make it into the movies. Would be so much better.