Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

Hi, you're wrong, have a nice day.

Want me to explain why or would you rather stew in ignorance?

Also, fun fact, garish is not, in fact, something you also call lifeless. You cannot be lifelessly garish. Unless you're Zombie Elton John I suppose.

Once you find a dictionary sure, but I'm not really interested in your opinion until you have a baseline understanding of the english language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Frankly I was upset he didn't put in more. $100,000 will not buy 1/4th of the space she needs in a major city.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. "Man, $100,000 sounds nice, but in reality won't last you all that long."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

remember when that psychopath george lucas didn't give a poo poo about all those people who died on alderaan

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Frankly I was upset he didn't put in more. $100,000 will not buy 1/4th of the space she needs in a major city.

Rent is probably cheap in Gotham.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

Rent is probably cheap in Gotham.

What with all the psychopaths running around.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Less people die in this than any of the Avengers movies but I guess there's some blood so it's bad.

I rewatched Man of Steel last night and I still don't really get the complaints about the destruction there either. People act like Superman gleefully knocked down skyscrapers and poo poo.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gotham rent is probably pretty dependent on how recently your building was turned back from being a giant clock or how close you are to the giant bronze torsos.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Caridean posted:

Once you find a dictionary sure, but I'm not really interested in your opinion until you have a baseline understanding of the english language

:getout: prescriptivist swine

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Plus at some point the bank is going to notice that someone has more money than they should and investigate. Best-case scenario, they take the money back out of her account. Cyborg would have to get way more involved on a way bigger scale to really make even that amount of difference

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caridean posted:

Adorable.

Now if you're done you can understand that the intent of words matter more than strict definitions. You've made it especially clear what you mean, VS what the literal definitions are.

A word has more than one definition, and rarely when you use that word do you mean all of them. In fact, often, you cannot use all of them because they do not coherently go together. I know this might seem difficult to grasp but I assure you, if you try, you can. I believe in you.

Now if you're done with that, we can talk about how focusing on saving and safeguarding their fellow humans goes a long way to show how Snyder views people with power and how they have a moral obligation to help others in need, and how this is a repeated theme across the entire movie.

We can also touch on how violence and kindness are intertwined, and even necessary.

But instead if you would like to continue using psychopath as an easy insult and attributing it to a man who has done nothing to you, we can talk about that too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caridean posted:

I'm pretty sure that if I let RLM dictate my opinion of the film, then I would like the film. The fact this is the first time you've seen this particular criticism of snyder, doesn't mean it's the only time it's ever been made lol.

I mean, I'm sure it's been made before, it was made by them previously and repeated ad nauseum then. It's also factually wrong just by the simple matter of what happens in the film, and yet you proclaimed it with the confidence and authority of someone who was certain, so I assumed you must have been regurgitating a talking point instead of coming to the wrong conclusion independently.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Caridean posted:

I'm pretty sure that if I let RLM dictate my opinion of the film, then I would like the film. The fact this is the first time you've seen this particular criticism of snyder, doesn't mean it's the only time it's ever been made lol.

"I'm not actually letting the idiots give me my opinions, I'm merely independently coming to the same conclusions that they do" is not the own you think it is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

2house2fly posted:

Plus at some point the bank is going to notice that someone has more money than they should and investigate. Best-case scenario, they take the money back out of her account. Cyborg would have to get way more involved on a way bigger scale to really make even that amount of difference

I think Cyborg can basically run the bank around in circles infinitely if necessary, using .002% of his processing power, since part of what he uses is that the little screen everyone looks at is their truth. This assumes he hasn't already, as he could have constructed what amounts to an immaculate fraud in the bank's system to justify the $100,000.

His power is :stonks:

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Burkion posted:

But instead if you would like to continue using psychopath as an easy insult and attributing it to a man who has done nothing to you, we can talk about that too.

He's a wildly successful hollywood film director worth 10s of millions of dollars. I think he can take it, man. You don't need to protect him.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

She could always move to Kansas where the money would go a lot further.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

"I'm not actually letting the idiots give me my opinions, I'm merely independently coming to the same conclusions that they do" is not the own you think it is.

It's a very simple and obvious observation if you're at all familiar with his body of work.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caridean posted:

It's a very simple and obvious observation if you're at all familiar with his body of work.

Or if you're familiar with the list of buzzwords and catchphrases that people use to describe his work. Next you're going to be calling him objectivist, and it will be obvious that you didn't think of that on your own either.

Caridean
Jan 5, 2021

by Pragmatica

Guy A. Person posted:

Or if you're familiar with the list of buzzwords and catchphrases that people use to describe his work. Next you're going to be calling him objectivist, and it will be obvious that you didn't think of that on your own either.

indeed goon sire, tell me more about how my opinions are "factually wrong."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Caridean posted:

no it isn't

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caridean posted:

I did. You say he didn't care about regular people in a movie with like a dozen scenes focused on the actions of or well being of regular people.

The stuff you saying no happen in movie you claim watch

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Caridean posted:

Hey.

Choke on my butt.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I have no idea what the standard for "caring about ordinary people" is supposed to be in a blockbuster action movie and the more it's explained the less I understand it

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Caridean posted:

Just not the work in question.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Plus at some point the bank is going to notice that someone has more money than they should and investigate. Best-case scenario, they take the money back out of her account.

They'd only notice if he let them, much less do anything about it

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

bushisms.txt posted:

I'll never understand the complaints about Superman coming out wrong when he was raised from the dead by a device created of evil incarnate.

Especially when the last time it was done in the film, it gave birth to a giant troll creature.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Augus posted:

I have no idea what the standard for "caring about ordinary people" is supposed to be in a blockbuster action movie and the more it's explained the less I understand it

Like, I wouldn't even say it's a matter of there being a threshold in this instance, a reminder of the initial point made:

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

So like, "doesn't give a poo poo about" to the point of "psychopathy"; seems pretty clear that any scenes at all that care about the well being of regular people would move him back from the brink of being a straight up psychopath

If someone said "this movie didn't have horses, 0/10" I would call them "factually wrong" cause like hey, remember that scene with all the horses? If they said "this movie didn't have enough horses, 0/10" I would consider that subjective of course but like, question how they rate every single other super hero movie that had (factually) fewer horses, and why they are looking for a great number of horses in a super hero movie in any case, you know?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Squinty posted:

Garish doesn't necessarily refer to color.

"Bright" also doesn't necessarily mean garish.

Caridean posted:

This semantic argument doesn't really matter much, and hopefully you at least have some idea of my complaint at this point but I have to ask what you think garish actually means, because you don't seem to be using the definition the rest of the world uses.

Garish implies using a combination of different colors that are overly vivid/heavily saturated to jarring effect imo. Being "bright" alone doesn't make something garish. The resulting effect of employing a garish palette can be considered "bright" or "showy" or whatever the gently caress, but that is dictated by contrasting color choices. You really can't have a monochrome image with muted tones be garish because a monochrome image with muted tones is just that: a monochrome image with muted tones, lol. But sure, if you want to argue semantics don't matter much, by all means.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Caridean posted:

He's a wildly successful hollywood film director worth 10s of millions of dollars. I think he can take it, man. You don't need to protect him.

He's a person, and one of the most maligned creatives in the industry.

poo poo like this is why 'cultists' go so far to protect and fight for him. Because on the flip side, you have people who attribute mental illness, trivializing that for the record if that wasn't clear for why I singled that out and your use of it, to a man who has done nothing to them. A man who cannot and has not harmed them, and has been shown through sheer weight of support and praise to be a decent person.

For, what? What is your nebulous reasoning here? He killed some people in a movie you feel should be frivolous and silly?

How about you take a step back and rethink why insulting anyone like this is worthwhile. Why that makes you a target to those who would take offense to it.

If you want to have a conversation about the violence of the movie, come back to me. I would love to go into it with you. If you want to talk about the humanity of the work, same. I'm down.

If you just want an easy target to belittle and insult using dated, harmful terminology, you can take it and go.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, Zod didn't really get much of a chance to scream. You know...because of the broken neck.

In a nice bit of continuity, Superman's death already has the scream & shockwaves in BvS.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Personally, Im of the opinion its a good thing when a comic book movie strives to look more like a music video and less like a CBS sitcom.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Robot Style posted:

In a nice bit of continuity, Superman's death already has the scream & shockwaves in BvS.

Goddamn I love that movie. You know, because of the high concentrations of psychopathy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

Didn't this have something to do with Snyder's original idea, where the motherboxes (or maybe the anti-life equation?) were tied into the Codex being part of Superman's DNA?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I guess we can just chalk it up to coincidence that RLM argued that Snyder doesn't care about regular people in ZSJL and made comments on the film's visual aesthetic in their review, the two main points in Caridean's posts... lol.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Honestly, I think the amount of death and destruction really holds back 1999's schlocky action adventure film, The Mummy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
One day this thread will over analyze and breakdown any language that is critical of Snyder's work until communication is simply gifs and screenshots from Snyder's movies. Which will probably.be better.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Timeless Appeal posted:

One day this thread will over analyze and breakdown any language that is critical of Snyder's work until communication is simply gifs and screenshots from Snyder's movies. Which will probably.be better.

Please add to the discussion where Snyder's films propagate psychopathic tendencies or that Justice League is visually garish.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

Bruce, his heart open.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Or maybe people could not just post poo poo criticisms of debunked garbage like "Zack Snyder is a psychopath whose visuals are <farting noise> and he also takes this cape poo poo too seriously".

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It sounds like it won't really be a problem with how the movie ends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

teagone posted:

"Bright" also doesn't necessarily mean garish.

Garish implies using a combination of different colors that are overly vivid/heavily saturated to jarring effect imo. Being "bright" alone doesn't make something garish. The resulting effect of employing a garish palette can be considered "bright" or "showy" or whatever the gently caress, but that is dictated by contrasting color choices. You really can't have a monochrome image with muted tones be garish because a monochrome image with muted tones is just that: a monochrome image with muted tones, lol. But sure, if you want to argue semantics don't matter much, by all means.

No? Garish implies excessive, tasteless embellishment. A garish color palette would probably imply high chroma, but a garish monochromatic film would be something like Sin City.