Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

bushisms.txt posted:

I mean that's almost satanism. poo poo, me and snyder have something else in common now.

Makes sense

https://www.churchofsatan.com/satan...20of%20readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think I ultimately agree with this. I think for me, if I were the hypothetical writer of a Superman movie, I wouldn't include a line like that because I do actually believe we have.a duty to one another and while we can choose to abandon that duty, we shouldn't.

so, how many lives have you saved today? why, with this sense of duty and obligation and so on, are you posting on an internet forum?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Horizon Burning posted:

so, how many lives have you saved today? why, with this sense of duty and obligation and so on, are you posting on an internet forum?

Each post on this forum does more for Leftism than all YouTubers combined, so they are truly saving the masses from the vicious meatgrinder of capitalism.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Horizon Burning posted:

4, I think

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

He also does not answer to anyone else, except who he permits

Doesnt that describe, like, everybody

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think I ultimately agree with this. I think for me, if I were the hypothetical writer of a Superman movie, I wouldn't include a line like that because I do actually believe we have.a duty to one another and while we can choose to abandon that duty, we shouldn't. Snyder is clearly not a Libertarian jerk, but he is also a dude who wanted to make a movie about The Fountainhead. So, there is going to be an influence there. Saying "there's nothing to see here" actually isn't giving his films credit.

Superman's dad, who expressly wants Clark to grow up to be a hero, has different politics from Superman's mom, who is more concerned with her son's personal happiness and autonomy. The point is that there are many competing influences vying for Superman's regard that he has to choose between or synthesize.

"I wouldn't include a line like this" is therefore a very weird thing to say, because, like... is it only a Superman movie if every single character has Superman's own exact ethics? What about the villain? Should we not have a villain?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I think Snyder is more interested in exploring the idea of how the mere existence of Superman would bring all of these philosophical discussions into the mainstream social conversation and how they would project back onto Clark as an individual rather than trying to assert any one moral framework to Clark. Hes "just a guy trying to do the right thing" and we filter our own belief systems through his power to do the "right thing" free of any personal physical consequences or limits.

Its become an increasingly narrow view to constantly and incesently focus on the question and perspective of Snyders Superman through Objectivism and not the litany of other moral philosophies that predate it. Youd think by the way its brought up that its the one and only school of philosophy Goyer, Nolan, Terrio and Snyder have ever thought about or considered when writing these movies.

For instance, Pa Kents speech about a hero cake can be looked at from a utilitarian framework. What is the greater social good in the Snyderverse and does Superman actively work towards it? Even if he does, will his attempt at aide have any unintended consequences? Should he try to work towards it? Based on whose decision and guidance? His own? The governments? CineDs?

I honestly believe that what Snyder is mainly interested in is not really answering any of these questions but wants to make it clear that to him, all of these questions would really really weigh on someone and that in the face of all of this complexity, he believes Clark just does what he thinks is right to him, which is trying to help people and save the world. I cannot imagine any actual real person not being insanely overwhelmed by what Clark is going through.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AdmiralViscen posted:

Doesnt that describe, like, everybody

No?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Starblade does not embrace the outlaw life, smh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Right. I answer to the US government because they can kill me if I don't

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Right, a person answering to another person is based on an interplay between where they draw their personal line, and how much leverage the other party has over them.

No one can have leverage over superman, so the movie explores how he arrives at where his line is

Answering to the world via a televised inquiry = yes
Being pressed into service as a soldier in the US military = no
Being subjected to constant surveillance by the US military in his private time = no

Smashing a drone doesn’t make him an untethered objectivist. He drew the line there because it in no way serves a public good and is instead a power grab by a partisan ont he global stage

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody thinks I'm bad if I save my wife from a speeding car than a stranger for example.

Might not be so uncontroversial if you were a god

Its a huge part of BVS, can superman be the savior of all the world’s people when he still has mortal human attachments

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Timeless Appeal posted:

Does Snyder think that Superman has a duty to do what he can for others?

I feel like the Ma Kent scene makes more sense with the Superman-as-the-idealized-immigrant allegory than it does with the Superman-as-embodiment-of-morality allegory. He's being judged for who he is and where he's from, and she's telling him that his own life has value beyond the people he saves and he doesn't have to hold himself to a standard that nobody else is ever expected to meet. What matters is that he does what he feels is right in a fundamental sense, not out of guilt or coercion but a deep moral code.

I'm also not convinced that her advice is the best, and Superman dealing with conflicting advice and expectations from his many parental figures is an ongoing thread throughout the films. Ma Kent is definitely the one the films side with the most, but that moment is clearly not her talking to Superman, or even to Clark, it's her talking to Her Boy. I think Superman has a duty, and so does she, but she doesn't think his duty to humanity should come at the expense of his own existence. By the end of the movie, Superman clearly disagrees.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Horizon Burning posted:

Buddy, there's a pandemic! By staying inside and posting, we're all saving any number of lives.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think Snyder is more interested in exploring the idea of how the mere existence of Superman would bring all of these philosophical discussions into the mainstream social conversation and how they would project back onto Clark as an individual rather than trying to assert any one moral framework to Clark. Hes "just a guy trying to do the right thing" and we filter our own belief systems through his power to do the "right thing" free of any personal physical consequences or limits.

Its become an increasingly narrow view to constantly and incesently focus on the question and perspective of Snyders Superman through Objectivism and not the litany of other moral philosophies that predate it. Youd think by the way its brought up that its the one and only school of philosophy Goyer, Nolan, Terrio and Snyder have ever thought about or considered when writing these movies.

For instance, Pa Kents speech about a hero cake can be looked at from a utilitarian framework. What is the greater social good in the Snyderverse and does Superman actively work towards it? Even if he does, will his attempt at aide have any unintended consequences? Should he try to work towards it? Based on whose decision and guidance? His own? The governments? CineDs?

I honestly believe that what Snyder is mainly interested in is not really answering any of these questions but wants to make it clear that to him, all of these questions would really really weigh on someone and that in the face of all of this complexity, he believes Clark just does what he thinks is right to him, which is trying to help people and save the world. I cannot imagine any actual real person not being insanely overwhelmed by what Clark is going through.

Honestly, what I really enjoy about Man of Steel and Zack's DCEU is how it shows a lot of discomfort with the idea of the Superman existing. It's far more realistic than the 1970s Donner films, and explores side characters far more than Singer's attempted sequel. Nobody has the answer of what Kal-El/Clark should do, especially not Clark. It's written so that we see the characters grow over time. Ultimately, he chooses to do what he can to help, even sacrificing himself to save Earth from both his biological and adopted peoples. He saves Earth from Zod's designs, and he saves Earth from Lex's monster.

They are movies made to be operas and they are glorious in their larger than life characters and overly dramatic stories. If only the characters sang arias and recitatives...

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They only sing in ancient lamentations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Jimbot posted:

They only sing in ancient lamentations.

I want a recitative in Italian of Barry explaining his lateness to the dog-walking job.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Doomsday's is reminiscent of one from the Ring Cycle

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Let's be real here, if Wagner was alive today he'd be a Hollywood director, and not only due to his antisemitism

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Schwarzwald posted:

Buddy, there's a pandemic! By staying inside and posting, we're all saving any number of lives.

Noble of Zack Snyder to encourage us to stay inside. He really has done more for leftism than every YouTuber.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Also, for people saying the Marvel movies "are good," did everyone just forget how loving corny this dumb poo poo was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8tpYr_cJo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Acting like this whole affair destroyed Snyder's career, or ever threatened to, is about as fantastical as libertarianism.

I amend my statement to say “practically just did that,” if you insist on comparing me to libertarians(?).

It seems obvious that he’ll be fine now but in 2018 Army of the Dead hadn’t even been announced yet and the dude was just making short films on iPhones in his neighborhood. Even today his own career studio considers him persona non grata.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ungulateman posted:

Let's be real here, if Wagner was alive today he'd be a Hollywood director, and not only due to his antisemitism

There's some John Williams interview I remember where he talks about how if Mozart lived today, he would be the biggest Hollywood composer there is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, for people saying the Marvel movies "are good," did everyone just forget how loving corny this dumb poo poo was?

I still like that but lol at Captain America's bad outfit

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think there's a few good Marvel movies.

The Avengers movies aren't among them (though I dig parts of Endgame).

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

I still like that but lol at Captain America's bad outfit

I remember going into that movie being somewhat excited and cautiously optimistic, but I walked out of it feeling like Marvel had robbed me of 2+ hours of my life. It was the movie that pretty much got me off the Marvel hype train.

sethsez posted:

I think there's a few good Marvel movies.

The Avengers movies aren't among them (though I dig parts of Endgame).

Agreed, but most of those good Marvel movies involve Wesley Snipes.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Bogus Adventure posted:

lmao at the cinematography in this versus ZSJL

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I know it's much older, but my god, that looks unacceptably cheap. It's really not far off of a kid's TV series.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Horizon Burning posted:

lmao at the cinematography in this versus ZSJL

vs

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Whedon's a TV director who was given an absurd budget (but you'd never be able to tell that he was working on more than like, 20 mill)

It's fairer to compare the Russo movies IMO: they were lousy directors before Marvel, but at least they were directors, and not quipsmiths who usually wrote for flat shots of studio apartments, graveyards, and highschool hallways

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

quipsmiths

Lol love this word

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

gunna need these in gif form

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

MacheteZombie posted:

gunna need these in gif form

I can't find a gif of the Justice League one, but I did find what might be the worst gif I've ever seen

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

loving lol that this is how some people saw the situation

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Whedon just killed at least a thousand people in that gif!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

is this movie good or bad, thanks

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Google Butt posted:

It is.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Google Butt posted:

It's good.

Could probably stand to lose about half an hour and a few of its endings though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

There are people who unironically liked Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog. I know because they were my friends until they made me watch that piece of poo poo.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I know objectivism is incoherent but that doesn’t mean everything is objectivism, drat. Find another word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

Also, I'm sure some people felt that Barry needed a whole soliloquy on the strangeness of brunch, or Superman delivering this little speech where Joss is looking directly into the camera and winking at the audience while repeating, "Get it? Get it? GET IT? GET IT???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGz2bDlwqA&t=190s