Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

release the FitFortDanga cut!
Alternatively, "BvS but every time someone says Martha it goes faster"

Snowman_McK posted:

They look like poo poo, rush the CGI artists and actively hide how good the costumes look.
These statements do not contradict each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

These statements do not contradict each other.

Fair enough. It just keeps amazing me that these spectacle event movies are pretty loving bad at spectacle.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Snowman_McK posted:

You'll be pleased to know that at least one of the new Star Wars things is straight up bad.

I've decided that I no longer rate films on whether they're good or bad, but on whether they're interesting. It's done me a lot of good.

They look like poo poo, rush the CGI artists and actively hide how good the costumes look.

Mandolorian is oppressively uninteresting. It's literally a guy walking through video game cut scenes and wookiepedia articles.

One fantastic side effect of it was it retroactively made me like the Last Jedi's Luke parts. In the TLJ he says "what do you want me to pick up a laser sword and fight the entire first order?". Pre-mando I thought yes that's exactly what I want. Then we get it, and I'm like wait no not like that. Now I'm confused and I realized I just don't have time for any of this.

I'm just going to sit in my chair and read Catcher in the Rye again and leave all this malarkey in the bin where it belongs.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Mandolorian is oppressively uninteresting. It's literally a guy walking through video game cut scenes and wookiepedia articles.
I liked it at first because it brought back the vibe of all the sci-fi/adventure shows I watched while growing up like Buck Rogers OG Battlestar Galactica and all that
But after 2 seasons I've seen all I ever need to see of that stuff. I might not even bother with the Boba Fett show.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's pretty neat when you realize that Justice League and Superman 78 have the same ending.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LesterGroans posted:

It rules.

Both Snyder and the MCU made a hero that's "Dick Cheney taking matters into his own hands" but only Snyder had the sense to pull the trigger and make him a full-on villain.

It’s more that Snyder didn’t even “make” anything. Batfleck doesn’t do a single drat thing that Batman hadn’t already done in other media. So what we get is just this absolutely unrelenting ideological critique of Batman. And it‘a not some ‘elseworld’ Evil Version Of Batman. It’s not Brightburn, because nobody gives a poo poo about Brightburn. This is Batman.

So picture, like, a Spiderman movie that’s effectively a highlight reel of every time the character’s canonically done something stupid or harmful, or pointless - or whatever - while in pursuit of ‘the good’. But not only that; it’s saying, like, “let’s do away with that stuff; we don’t need that stuff. Let’s try something new with the character.”

This is very different from the current situation, where Spiderman remains fairly static and we just give him the ability to do drone strikes. Will he eventually conclude that this great power comes with great responsibility???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PeterCat posted:

It's pretty neat when you realize that Justice League and Superman 78 have the same ending.

A Joker talks about reach arounds?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Please don't talk down video game cut scenes like this.

Snowman_McK posted:

Fair enough. It just keeps amazing me that these spectacle event movies are pretty loving bad at spectacle.
Yeah, I'm actually having a hard time coming up with any "spectacle" that really delivers on what it's portraying.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
SHIELD carriers doing a 9/11 was pretty fun to see.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MacheteZombie posted:

A Joker talks about reach arounds?

A character turns back time to win.

I'm still digging that Joaquin's Joker movie was just a joke being told on the audience.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

SHIELD carriers doing a 9/11 was pretty fun to see.

It was something that should have been spectacular as gently caress. Instead it was grey blobs slowly turning into orange blobs. A lot of the MCU's spectacle is that what is being depicted is exciting on paper. The actual depiction tends to be really dull. It lends itself to water cooler conversations, though.

"And then the flying aircraft carriers start shooting each other and exploding"
"Wow, sounds exciting."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

"And then her name was Martha also."
"Wow, sounds exciting."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah the most exciting part of any movie, a single line of dialogue, good burn

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

If you're going to do drive by shitposts can you please be better at it?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That bit isn't meant to be exciting

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah the most exciting part of any movie, a single line of dialogue, good burn

The MCU did spend a decade building up a single line of dialogue.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wyoming posted:

The MCU did spend a decade building up a single line of dialogue.

I wouldn't say they spent a decade building up to "that's America's rear end" but I'll grant that it's the best line of dialogue in the MCU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 273 days!
i haven't really watched that much of the mcu, but the only dialogue i liked enough to find it memorable of what i saw was ronan and thanos' scenery chewing contest in gotg, which is amazing

"the only thing i do not take seriously, boy, is you." imagine if thanos had a motivation to actually match that shittalking.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I wouldn't say they spent a decade building up to "that's America's rear end" but I'll grant that it's the best line of dialogue in the MCU

Wait, that's actually a line in the film? I assumed it was just a meme.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Guy A. Person posted:

Evans sells his line really well and it makes me miss him doing comedy.

Also, the best part of Endgame is Paul Rudd's fish out of water stuff, figuring out this Five Years Later world and the second-half tanks when they basically drop him.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Snowman_McK posted:

Wait, that's actually a line in the film? I assumed it was just a meme.

It shows up twice, fun both times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

If you're going to do drive by shitposts can you please be better at it?

You know that I can't

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You know that I can't

This was THE opportunity to post the "No I don't think I will" thing, you screwed up twice in a row.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Movie not widescreen you say? Not a problem.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

"And then he throws the moon at them"
"Wow, sounds exciting."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

evobatman posted:

Nice

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Are the timeline forks a result of Barry travelling back to send Batman messages? Or are they due to him running real fast and rewinding time? Because if it's the latter I want to see the third timeline where the League are int he Kryptonian ship and watch the Motherbox just smack a dead Clark Kent in the face, before they are all arrested for grave robbing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are the timeline forks a result of Barry travelling back to send Batman messages? Or are they due to him running real fast and rewinding time? Because if it's the latter I want to see the third timeline where the League are int he Kryptonian ship and watch the Motherbox just smack a dead Clark Kent in the face, before they are all arrested for grave robbing.

I still can't believe WB openly announced this movie was non-canon when they're doing Flashpoint anyway lmao

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That was a bad scene, but the magic duel was so much worse. God that scene was irritating. Two powerful beings able to command reality and they just throw projectiles at each other like ken and ryu spamming fireballs.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

i won't stand for this donkey kong: tropical freeze slander

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

That was a bad scene, but the magic duel was so much worse. God that scene was irritating. Two powerful beings able to command reality and they just throw projectiles at each other like ken and ryu spamming fireballs.

The comics got super wild with it

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

evobatman posted:

I'm the precariously balanced WiiU(?) balancing on a DVD player(?) balancing on an OG XBOX. What is even going on here.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I'm the precariously balanced WiiU(?) balancing on a DVD player(?) balancing on an OG XBOX. What is even going on here.

Justice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

Batman's big brain strategy for the magic material from beyond the stars is to put it on a stick and inside a grenade launcher and hope he doesn't miss the guy who can fly faster than jets

They're not very smart characters

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman's big brain strategy for the magic material from beyond the stars is to put it on a stick and inside a grenade launcher and hope he doesn't miss the guy who can fly faster than jets

Did you miss the part where Batman set up the fight specifically to have those things work out for him?

Oh wait it's you, you're just going to answer "Yes I did because the movie sucks." Never mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Did you miss the part where Batman set up the fight specifically to have those things work out for him?

Oh wait it's you, you're just going to answer "Yes I did because the movie sucks." Never mind.

I didn't, but I do think most of the thread can come up with something more clever than that to do with it. Batman is very lucky Superman is dumber than him, though both are still smarter than Titan's dumbest scientist

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't, but I do think most of the thread can come up with something more clever than that to do with it. Batman is very lucky Superman is dumber than him, though both are still smarter than Titan's dumbest scientist

Batman exploiting his opponent's dumbness is an old hat, and comparing intelligence levels of the participants of both fights seems pointless. I would rather look at what each fight shows of the fighter's abilities.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Yes there was no reason whatsoever why Batman chose a spear to kill the Christlike figure that he also considers to be the devil (which in biblical lore is depicted as a dragon) well spotted.

Meanwhile Thano smashing a moon into tony is so rich in allegorical meaning, such as..........uh.... rocks hurt?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McCloud posted:

Yes there was no reason whatsoever why Batman chose a spear to kill the Christlike figure that he also considers to be the devil (which in biblical lore is depicted as a dragon) well spotted.

The holy hand grenade launcher of Antioch

I didn't bring up or care about the allegorical meaning but I'm glad it led to the above anyway

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The holy hand grenade launcher of Antioch

I didn't bring up or care about the allegorical meaning but I'm glad it led to the above anyway

See, that was your mistake, if you don't care about allegorical meaning in a zack snyder film you're already way over your head