Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I haven't seen the movie, so I'm looking for input from people who have, obviously: lots of people are referring to the Lighthouse's aspect ratio to say that it isn't unusual to have 4:3 (which is correct). But the Lighthouse is a far different movie from what I assume JL is trying to be - I felt like the aspect ratio in Lighthouse emphasized the claustrophobia and general cramped feeling of the film - everything felt very tight. But I would imagine that claustrophobia isn't exactly what you want to evoke in an action epic - it seems like you'd want more space. Can someone who's seen the movie describe how the aspect ratio affects the feeling of ZSJL, for better or worse? I'm not looking for whether it's "allowed" or whatever, lol, just whether it adds to the experience or what.

e: Grand budapest has also been mentioned: also a very, very different kind of movie!

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

weekly font posted:

Dude definitely digs himself some Ayn Rand even if it is absolutely not to the extent shithead youtube essayists will ascribe to him.

Zack Snyder posted:

“I think she's incredible and insane and she's always said story first, not regarding her politics,” said the filmmaker. “But it was easy for her to fall victim to her own popularity, and she drank her own Kool-Aid.”

I think he just digs the Fountainhead dude.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

Maybe, and saying that isn't meant to be a personal slight against him, but dude definitely digs himself some Ayn Rand even if it is absolutely not to the extent shithead youtube essayists will ascribe to him.

Hes an artist, and he got really hooked on the art being taken away from the artist part of Fountainhead.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010
To be honest, I kinda forgot what aspect ratio it was while watching it cuz I was too busy enjoying the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

smug n stuff posted:

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm looking for input from people who have, obviously: lots of people are referring to the Lighthouse's aspect ratio to say that it isn't unusual to have 4:3 (which is correct). But the Lighthouse is a far different movie from what I assume JL is trying to be - I felt like the aspect ratio in Lighthouse emphasized the claustrophobia and general cramped feeling of the film - everything felt very tight. But I would imagine that claustrophobia isn't exactly what you want to evoke in an action epic - it seems like you'd want more space. Can someone who's seen the movie describe how the aspect ratio affects the feeling of ZSJL, for better or worse? I'm not looking for whether it's "allowed" or whatever, lol, just whether it adds to the experience or what.

e: Grand budapest has also been mentioned: also a very, very different kind of movie!

It's shot for it to work very well, here's a post on that:

Quotey posted:

When ur thrown away by Superman in Widescreen

"I'm going off to my home planet!"

When ur thrown away in GLORIOUS 4:3 SCREEN

"Oh no I'm going to loving fly forever"

You should probably compare on your own since image quality kinda sucks for it. It just lets you show more at the top and bottom for some comic book panel stuff i guess?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Darko posted:

Hes an artist, and he got really hooked on the art being taken away from the artist part of Fountainhead.

Look I'm not a Snyderdome guy and I do think it's kinda funny the extent to which people are taking my words as insults when I'm referring to him as an interesting director. Be less defensive yall, your guy won.

I'd love to see his vision of The Fountainhead. Even if I don't love most of his movies Snyder is at the absolute minimum an interesting director with a unique voice, something that we lose more of with every new MCU chapter.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

If that’s the worst sin a Hollywood director commits...I'm cool with it.

:yeah:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

weekly font posted:

Look I'm not a Snyderdome guy and I do think it's kinda funny the extent to which people are taking my words as insults when I'm referring to him as an interesting director. Be less defensive yall, your guy won.

I'd love to see his vision of The Fountainhead. Even if I don't love most of his movies Snyder is at the absolute minimum an interesting director with a unique voice, something that we lose more of with every new MCU chapter.

:yeah:

I dont think anyone is jumping on you, just clearing up the context. There has been a lot of misinformation going on with him over the last decade or so is all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

weekly font posted:

I wasn't mad at you at all and you're free to like whoever. I'm just pointing out he's made his opinion of Rand clear and it's "I like this one story a lot, also she's a kook".

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 18, 2021

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's some kind of watch party being hosted by Snyder at 7pm ET (in about 15 minutes from when this post was submitted). I'm not really sure on the details, but it's hosted on something called Scener. Attendees need HBO Max though.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Despite the trash ratio , this is really good, super long though. I'm finally at the fight with Superman vs the JL .

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's shot for it to work very well, here's a post on that:

This was more of a joke, though I guess it works if you want to get nitpicky. I would say watch a couple scenes from both thinking about it though- actually, it appears that Whedon ends up stretching a shot rather than snipping it because it's filmed only to work in 4:3?

But you could have set it to work in 16:9 as well I assume? I don't know anything about filming movies.

I don't actually know/care what's better. Maybe this one would be worse in 16:9? When the camera pans to show Aquaman.

Like I say, I don't know film and I'm not much of a smart watcher. So maybe that would look great in 16:9. People being bothered by black bars is fine IMO.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I'm on the fence on this one. Was this a better movie overall? without a doubt. Was it as entertaining as looking at superman with the ridiculous and lovely cgi removal of cavil's mustache? Now I have nothing to laugh my rear end off at.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shout out to Junkie XL for crafting this heroic af track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXBwQGROfKA

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

teagone posted:

Shout out to Junkie XL for crafting this heroic af track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXBwQGROfKA

Yeah this thing has a killer soundtrack. I may become a junkie xl stan

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Quotey posted:

This was more of a joke, though I guess it works if you want to get nitpicky. I would say watch a couple scenes from both thinking about it though- actually, it appears that Whedon ends up stretching a shot rather than snipping it because it's filmed only to work in 4:3?

But you could have set it to work in 16:9 as well I assume? I don't know anything about filming movies.

I don't actually know/care what's better. Maybe this one would be worse in 16:9? When the camera pans to show Aquaman.

Like I say, I don't know film and I'm not much of a smart watcher. So maybe that would look great in 16:9. People being bothered by black bars is fine IMO.

But in 16:9 there's black bars. Just watched mos again and felt like i needed to duck to see the top of the frame.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why is it 4:3, why is it so quiet, and why are there no subtitles?

I think it being quiet is a HBO Max thing since I watched Speed last night on it and the volume was really low as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Yeah this thing has a killer soundtrack. I may become a junkie xl stan

There is nothing better to work out to than the Fury Road soundtrack.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This movie was great. Loved the score. Aquaman is how Wolverine should act in the next X-Men movie. Loved how much better Flash and Cyborg were in this one. Wonder Woman's action scenes in this were better than in WW84. Batman's character development from the last movie was continued/done well. Steppenwolf's new look was great, his armor was awesome. He felt much more like a character in this version than an end game boss. People complaining about the length should just watch chapters 1-4 as one movie and 5-epilogue as another. I'm shocked at how much I liked this. The improvement from BvS to BvS Ultimate Cut was one thing but this is one of the best director's cuts of all time.

This movie will be a great educational tool to highlight the importance of directors, scores, and editing.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I really liked Steppenwolf. His design was cool and his face was surprisingly emotive for how weird it was. I especially liked his wide eyed expression when he realized that the anti-life equation was on Earth. I found it kinda hard to to accept that it would be something that Darkseid would forget though.

I enjoyed the film, but would have really appreciated if it was even more "epic" (i.e. more stuff like the big battle flashback). The settings for the big fights were pretty boring - empty plains or industrial wasteland. The Smallville/Metropolis fights in MoS are much more interesting and memorable in comparison. I would also love to see more of the apocalyptic future with the ragtag band of survivors, which we would probably get to see in the alternate reality where Snyder Cut was the theatrical cut and was also miraculously successful.

The Joker scene was seriously kinda disturbing because Joker's dialogues were disgusting.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Just finished watching this, and its 4 hours im nog ever getting back, feels like art students take on a pile of poo poo and making it edgy, meaninful dark and even bigger pile of poo poo.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The best thing about ZSJL is that dark and edgy have lost all meaning.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Just finished watching this, and its 4 hours im nog ever getting back, feels like art students take on a pile of poo poo and making it edgy, meaninful dark and even bigger pile of poo poo.
can spend 4 hours watching a movie you hate but can't spend 10 seconds proofreading a post smh

Also did they know for sure the Anti-Life Equation was on Earth in the flashback? In terms of "forgetting Earth" I chalked it up to them actually relying on the Motherboxes in their universal domination strategy, so leaving them on Earth and running away shamefully might lead to them losing a lot of the Space Info they need to find planets again or whatever. But I didn't think they actually knew Anti-Life was there until Steppenwolf realized it in the present because the Motherboxes had spent time there and learned it or whatever.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I have never in my life encountered the phrase "controversial aspect ratio" until this movie

I remember going to see Dunkirk at the movies and hearing people complain about the bars on the screen cause it was shot on 70mm so it was in 2.2:1 and for that to look proper on modern cinema equipment you have to manually frame the projection using a chart, which a lot of people can't be hosed to do.

I think there was a lot of chatter around aspect ratio when that came out cause everyone knew it existed in like three competing aspect ratios at the same time

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

There is nothing better to work out to than the Fury Road soundtrack.

My current lifting mix, lol:

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
I feel like I’m smart enough to think that Snyder’s moral philosophy in these movies feels more Kantian than Randian but I’m not smart enough to defend that opinion at all. Welp, see you later!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bushisms.txt posted:

But in 16:9 there's black bars. Just watched mos again and felt like i needed to duck to see the top of the frame.

That's because its not 16:9, its usually 1.33:1 with film. 16:9 on a 16:9 display would have zero black bars.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

teagone posted:

My current lifting mix, lol:

Best be adding this bad boy soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbFDKx99ICg

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

Martman posted:

can spend 4 hours watching a movie you hate but can't spend 10 seconds proofreading a post smh

Also did they know for sure the Anti-Life Equation was on Earth in the flashback? In terms of "forgetting Earth" I chalked it up to them actually relying on the Motherboxes in their universal domination strategy, so leaving them on Earth and running away shamefully might lead to them losing a lot of the Space Info they need to find planets again or whatever. But I didn't think they actually knew Anti-Life was there until Steppenwolf realized it in the present because the Motherboxes had spent time there and learned it or whatever.

You think I could stand that that sober? : D I tried to accept this as a something going to camp category, but that scene with joker somehow broke my brain. What is the point of this movie? : D

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

That's because its not 16:9, its usually 1.33:1 with film. 16:9 on a 16:9 display would have zero black bars.

Yes but it's still cutting off the top if it's not framed right and older tvs will still need a zoom function. If this movie wasn't shot so well, then I could see a complaint, but you're losing nothing with 4:3.

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

What is the point of this movie? : D
To consume, just like any other comic book film.
You should probably stick to documentaries if you don't like "meaningless" art.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Wait what, I know nothing about this stuff film-wise but 4:3 is the same as 1.33:1 math-wise

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yep need to update! With that, and Crew at Warpower :black101:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Well overall I really enjoyed it even with the garbage ratio. Was still really good. Watching the epilogue and I like this version a lot more. Snyder really shows off how powerful Superman is.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 19, 2021

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Yes but it's still cutting off the top if it's not framed right and older tvs will still need a zoom function. If this movie wasn't shot so well, then I could see a complaint, but you're losing nothing with 4:3.

To consume, just like any other comic book film.
You should probably stick to documentaries if you don't like "meaningless" art.

Yeah, well. It made me spend 4h so I assume it made its point, but calling it meaningless art is propably on the point! Escapism come in variety.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Yeah, well. It made me spend 4h so I assume it made its point, but calling it meaningless art is propably on the point! Escapism come in variety.
Go take a nap, your posts are bad and make no sense

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

It's a film about Gods, the vertical orientation gives the the feeling of the characters towering and being beyond you.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Man of Steel isn't in 16:9, it's in 2.35:1. So it's a wider ratio than an HDTV, which is why there are black bars on the top and bottom.

If you're watching a 16:9 source (like any HD cable channel, Netflix movies, any prestige television, movies, etc) on a regular 16:9 HDTV, there are no black bars anywhere.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 19, 2021

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I liked Bruce Wayne being completely unfazed when Martian Manhunter shows up on his porch.

An alien species he's never encountered, "hey, what's up?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ego-bot posted:

I liked Bruce Wayne being completely unfazed when Martian Manhunter shows up on his porch.

An alien species he's never encountered, "hey, what's up?"

Yeah, I loved their interaction lol. World weary Bruce after having seen demigods, kryptonians, and apokolips folk... some silly martian man ain't poo poo, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

lmao

i loved the movie but this is fantastic