Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't some BvS or JL storyboard that Snyder put out on his Vero a few years back already confirm that Swanwick was Martian Manhunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I think they're saying it confirms that there will be some kind of acknowledgement in the film.

DURF, that makes sense, my bad for misreading it. (I'm in the hospital and high as a goddamn kite on IV dilaudid, I blame that for my foggy brain.)

In any event, I dig it. My knowledge of Martian Manhunter is limited to a few episodes of Supergirl, but I'm always happy to see Harry Lennix on a screen; the dude is obscenely charismatic and should have a much more prolific career.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McCloud posted:

That arc is basically tradition for Snyder films. Dawn, 300, SP, Watchmen, BvS, even MoS to an extent, all got nerds outraged because they went in with preconceived ideas l

This is largely the state of film discourse and criticism on the Internet nowadays, and it genuinely bothers me. Somewhere along the way it went from "I didn't like this movie, and here are some reasons why" to "This movie sucks balls because it isn't the movie I made up in my head and expected to see." People don't engage with the work anymore, they measure the work against their own theorycrafting, and if the movie deviates from the fanfiction they conjured up, then it's the worst thing since the Holocaust and the director fired the reviewer's dog out of a cannon and maimed their grandma with a meat tenderizer.

The intensity of this seems to get amplified by ten when it comes to genre material (which is why we're still re-litigating The Motherfucking Last Jedi four years later), and it gives me a headache.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Miching Mallecho posted:

I dislike Endgame because it's 3 hours and every time I watched it, I felt empty. It just feels like an empty movie.

The first time I saw Endgame, I was stoned to the gills on IV painkillers, so I didn't really pay attention to much of what was going on, and all of the lovely action sequences gave me a headache. A few months ago, a friend put me on his Disney+ account, so I decided to watch it again, sober as the Pope, and "empty" is the perfect word to describe it.

I laughed aloud, in a "you've got to be loving joking" way, when it ended with Steve and Peggy dancing, fade to black, and credits started rolling in this really elegant font and that song is playing. It was like Endgame was pretending to be some epic masterwork like Lawrence of Arabia or a Terence Malick movie, not three loving hours of action figures smashing together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think it probably effected some of the other song choices in the movie

I have no doubt that it's the reason "Distant Sky" is in the movie; it's one of the songs from the Skeleton Tree album that Nick Cave wrote about the death of his son.

"They told us our dreams would outlive us.

They told us our gods would outlive us.

But they lied..." :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

The next album, Ghosteen, is about processing and accepting that grief too

Very much so. I've only spoken to Nick once about Ghosteen, but he said to me that the album is about the terrible space and emptiness that his family is experiencing, even now, years after Arthur's death. Nick's relationship with his first son, Jethro, in particular, has become particularly strained (not that it was ever that great to begin with), and he and his wife, Susie, went through a period of living separately because they were both having such a terrible time processing their grief over Arthur. And, of course, there's Arthur's twin, Earl, who I imagine is still experiencing unimaginable pain (Nick's kids are 100 percent off-limits in interviews, and even when he and I have friendly chats, I never bring up his children or Susie). I imagine Snyder is very drawn to both Skeleton Tree and Ghosteen, given the shared experience he has with Cave.