Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

So uh, I just started watching JL and it seems to be playing in 4:3 format. It’s not scrunched up, and it’s not my TV as other content is fine. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Those 2 amazons holding up the last door in the motherbox tomb had loving glorious abs, I think I'm into abs now.

It got a "that's loving awesome" out of me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Roth posted:

Anybody have any interesting reads of the movie yet? I've been focusing on how sick and cool it was

teagones gunna have to supply one once he's finished mastering the snyder force

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That doesn't look anything like a mullet. Looks more like one of those raccoon hats.

The Crockett cut

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't think he necessarily needs foreknowledge. Martian Manhunter's whole deal since his first appearance as Swanwick in MoS has been that he wants to control or at least keep tabs on Superman.

He saw in superman something he could not see in himself

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is of course the exact opposite of what Cyborg learns in his arc - but the reveal that it was a creepy fake Martha creates a false impression that Lois was right to never stop grieving. In truth, the new Superman is a new being. He has a third father, in the group who resurrected him.

pospysyl posted:

I thought the line "Love them as we have loved you" was really interesting in this light. Jor El loved Kal El as an ideological symbol of a better future, Jon Kent loved Clark Kent as a parent loves their child, and then the Justice League loves Superman as sort of this combination of both. The Justice League acting as a new father represents a kind of collective love the human race has for Superman and on a deeper thematic level the kind of collective love shown for religious figures, but then you also have the personal love of Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne. Alfred's warning and the fight with Superman problematizes that overlap in an ambiguous way that I really appreciated. Is there something dangerous in the way that Christians conflate collective worship with the idea of a personal God?

Really dig this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

snyder had already turned in cuts that were under 3 hours to WB before he left.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

Yes, it's obvious that critics liked the grittiness of the Nolan films more than in Snyder's - that they thought he did Grimdark better. I'm wondering if there's a general consensus on what they liked better (I guess I should just go read some reviews). I don't think it's explicable by marketing - the MoS trailers were definitely not setting the film up to be less grim than Nolan's - in fact, IIRC they featured his name heavily in the marketing, as he had a producing role or something.

story credit and producer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

No I think its almost the other way around, I think the MoS trailers, and especially BvS trailers, almost primed people to think the films would be more grimdark.

disagree with mos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wArmHSPIvlQ

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

If Snyder's films had come out before Nolan's, you would have heard completely different commentary. Audiences are fickle but people also change and get influenced. And I'm no movie scholar so I'm probably not even fully explaining my point here very well but hopefully you take my meaning.

i do agree that timing played a part in how MoS was received, but I also think Snyder directing it made it a ripe target for criticism since it was coming on the heels of Sucker Punch (and of course people were already criticizing Watchmen and 300 by then). Snyder himself knows he's a divisive filmmaker and welcomes that mantle so I don't think it should have come as any surprise in retrospect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

As cited earlier, warhammer fans lean into it.

it's also where the term comes from so it makes sense that fans of warhammer own it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Thatís interesting.

When was the first time it was used for movies?

honestly couldn't tell ya, however some googling led me to the term hopepunk which i am so loving using to describe zack's dceu output from now on.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

"Hopepunk" as a term's been around a while and it's never described anything good

look i like hope and i like punk, what could be so bad about their powers combined

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

smug n stuff posted:

In 2011 on the forums Grimdark was used a lot, in what appears to be a value-neutral sense, to talk about stuff going on in Homestuck, lmfao

lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

too bad y'all, its cined canon that snyders dceu is hopepunk eternal

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The gbs thread linked the description of the justice is grey version. It describes the Snydercut with the words grim and dark lol

quote:

To hew even closer to Snyder’s ideal version, WarnerMedia is bringing Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Justice is Gray to its streaming service, featuring the same new cut of the film in an even darker and more grim color palette

Lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I liked snyders use of frost breath vs whedons

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Counteresperanto posted:

I wonder why Steppenwolf was chosen instead of Kalibak? "Strong idiot who desperately desires Darkseid's approval" is totally Kalibak's thing, and Darkseid is his actual father. In comics, Steppenwolf is Darkseid's uncle.

My only guess is that ZS wanted to use the higher profile darkseid cronies for jl2/3. Since JL1 was always supposed to have a triumphant (even in a fleeting sense) feel he wanted someone that wouldn't be missed. Poor Steppy, no respect.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

...did Steppenwolf die in the movie, come to think of it? Or did he boom out? I was drunk and it was like 6 AM.

Lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Granny Goodness recast

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think everybody is gonna live, they'll show up in the last scene with their arm in a sling with no explanation like GI Joe

Neck braces

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I keep thinking that Waller died in Suicide Squad but it's just that I'm remembering the Arrow version of the character who shot herself in the head because Suicide Squad was coming out and DC was really weird about having two versions of the same character in different places for a while.

They had a solid version of dead shot in their show and killed him off stupidly

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That's enough start wars chat in this holiest of places

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I love that shot. Everything about it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Eh, distracted is probably a better description of what's happening in that moment. It's still Supes realizing and taking in the damage being caused, then getting pummeled for it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gatts posted:

Each Lantern group has it's own Avatar. Ion, the Green Lantern's avatar, is a space whale. The Bull is the Red Latern's avatar symbolizing rage. The Star Sapphire Corps, which is all about love supposedly, is the Predator which looks like this....

On the one hand yes cringe on the other hand saying love is Predatory and being on one end of the spectrum (Green/Will being the center) I don't know if it was him thinking he's having a clever moment or what to come up with it but I don't know what Johns was trying to say, especially if the Sapphire Corps are all women.

Taking some inspiration from the xeno queen I see

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

PRETTY LIGHTS GO SPARKLE BOOM, HEHE! MORE VIOLENCE.

Don't think that's what Arkage is implying tbf

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

teagone posted:

I know it's not. I'm just being silly.

Fair enough, I'll cop to being slower than drax

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The argument is silly because the entire premise of the fight is that Superman is fighting to the death to prevent innocent people from being hurt.

“There’s only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die, or I do.”

Superman’s knowingly putting himself in a position where the most powerful being in the known universe is going to beat him to death, in order to protect people, and you can’t find any evidence that he cares about people in that scenario?

Zod’s not totally right, after all; Superman could avoid death by abandoning Earth, or joining Zod’s in the slaughter. But Zod knows that Superman would never abandon humanity, and mocks him for it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PeterCat posted:

save us from the fires of hell.

tbd

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Ah yeah, the quip-preserving fog. Had to be added across the entire sequence, because Joss didn't realize Flash asking "did you guys see what's going on outside" doesn't work when he's essentially standing in front of giant windows.

Lmao

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

There's a lot of really lovely behaviour from WB in all this, not just their insinuations that really Fisher is being manipulated by Snyder into getting back at them.

Credit to Fisher for seeing through WB and their 'investigation' from the start. And there's no sadder demonstration over how boneheaded those people are than with the whole "Booyah" incident.

Booyah being considered so vital to Cyborg is just the weirdest loving thing

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Oh man, for as lovely as that situation sounds i can't help but laugh at Jeremy Irons saying his dialogue is "loving stupid"

It's extremely funny.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

lol did Joss write a scene where someone accidentally falls into Wonder Woman's cleavage

Yes and forced it to be made using the magic of cg and body doubles.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

That interview is great.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

khwarezm posted:

Lmao, I'm happy you are mad over something like this.

"U mad bro" and other lovely drive by catch- phrases add nothing to the conversation other than to inflame tempers. Please don't do it.

Pirate Jet posted:

Thanks for dropping in with a 20-minute video I’m not gonna watch and nothing else.

Please don't take the bait and get in slapfights.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Beast boy is in the live action titans show