Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

It's because of how hype and marketing works now people are given so much material and info about a flick ahead of time I think it's normal if one can't help but project their own version of the movie a couple of months before the movie's even out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

As an aside, people tryna dunk on the film for using 4:3 AR.... imagine an artist choosing a square canvas, and you—not the artist using the canvas—getting mad they didn't choose a rectangle canvas or whatever. What a dumb criticism, lol.

My initial reaction to the AR spec a little while ago was "oh, maybe Snyder is paying homage to the original JL cartoon?" but then felt that was too simple. Clearly the way shots are framed are meant to look/feel a certain way within 4:3 compared to a wider AR as has been pointed out many times ITT. That anyone be bothered that their cape poo poo isn't in 16:9 or whatever of the many others ARs there are, is pretty funny. Criticize better, like drat, lmao.

"Release the Wider Cut."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And frankly if you watch Superman '78/the Donner Cut of II back-to-back you basically see that Man of Steel is just a remix of those two movies that theorizes a little bit more about what is going on with the other Kryptonian characters.

This lends a lot of credence to my theory that if Man of Steel was the EXACT same movie in every way with the only difference being Superman literally winking at the camera and saying "You're a real pain in the neck!" (like Lois says before casually murdering Ursa in Superman II for a comedy beat) right before he snaps Zod's neck a lot of the same people that hate it today would have seen it as the best superhero movie ever made.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

It was originally a reference to the Warhammer 40k slogan “in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war” and so it referred to stuff that was relentlessly brutal and dark and nihilistic to a comedic degree. Now, who knows

Now it's like "it was cloudy outside in one scene why is this movie so mean"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

drat, do you have a letterboxd account? I want to start watching what you're watching if this is the ugliest movie you've ever seen.

Yeah like some of the CG was inevitably spotty but in general I thought it looked really good, loved how it was shot. And some CG stuff like Flash's final run looked outright great and genuinely striking to me. Like what in the Christ cutting that out for the Russian family thing lol

Steppenwolf's base/that whole final fight looked significantly better too. The effects on Steppenwolf's axe not being that video gamey laser thing from the Whedon version improved his look a lot on top of his outfit actually being completed this time.

One thing I do fault Snyder's version for, I don't care how unpopulated Chernobyl is or whatever, his based IS A GIANT GLOWING MECHANICAL RADIATION EGG!!!! How in the gently caress did even just regular human level surveillance/satellite/etc. stuff not immediately notice that lol

Loved the movie in general though, and it was very uplifting too which was nice. The team in the Whedon version never REALLY respected each other even at the end. And Whedon made Batman an angry dumbass. In this version Batman clearly is the only one who genuinely has faith in Superman and won't fight him. The Whedon version felt a lot darker since it felt like what it was trying to say was to make sure you manipulate the biggest gun to be on your side, while Snyder's version only Batman and Lois' faith and empathy for Superman is what gets him resurrected and recovered.

Superman's entrance at the final battle was waaaaaaaay better in Snyder's version too and I liked how much the regular human characters contributed to the Justice League coming together and winning too.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 23, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Isn't wonderwoman bulletproof? Why she hitting bullets with her jewelry? For fun? Personal challenge?

In general regular old earth bullets won't straight up kill her but she can be stabbed/shot by powerful enough stuff and bleed/etc. Like a lot of comic stuff it's inconsistent and like you say it's generally considered weird that she's NOT bulletproof a lot of time considering who she is. IIRC in WW84 as an example she is straight up bulletproof until her powers weaken.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

...did Steppenwolf die in the movie, come to think of it? Or did he boom out? I was drunk and it was like 6 AM.

drat much like Suicide Squad the direction so bad many did not even notice the death of one of the film's major characters.

2house2fly posted:

Darkseid like "no, he still isn't dead enough"

I loved that. I think that's part of why they used him instead of Kalibak too. Just so they'd have a potentially world-ending person, but someone who is clearly NOT getting any actual backup from Darkseid, he just like stumbles into a potential instant-win when he realizes the mother boxes are there and tries to control it. The Justice League all being at the point where they're willing to do anything including potentially die if they have to to save the earth (following Superman's example) lets them kick Steppenwolf's rear end.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 23, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wonder Woman is more durable than the other Amazons because IIRC in the earliest iterations of her movie she was going to be Ares' daughter and literally descended from the gods, not just made from clay. So even the other Amazons IIRC are surprised at how she heals up faster/has the wrist gauntlet bwoosh attack and so on.

I think a connection we were intended to make with the bracers and when she can do the energy blast is that it absorbs energy from attacks. Batman and Wonder Woman have clearly been working together since the end of BVS and the new gauntlets Alfred makes for him are clearly inspired by Wonder Woman's bracers, i.e., once they absorb enough force and are ready to pop you have to let it go in the nearish future and can't just hold onto it forever.

Wonder Woman blocks all the bullets during the terrorist attack scene which lets her do the blast.

KVeezy3 posted:

That reminds me, Superman psychotically smiling while beating down Steppenwolf will always be a black mark on this film for me. I get the part where he's happy to be back and dodging Steppenwolf's blows, but the other parts are just unsettling. Too light-happy, not my superman, etc.

Steppenwolf is so clearly a chickenshit, I love it. He always enters the scene high on his own bullshit but whenever the Justice League starts to work together he teleports out like a punk despite him being so powerful.

I can understand Superman's relative happiness here. His "Not. Impressed." entrance was so good and to me meant he hung back a little bit to assess what this guy was all about. I saw his smiling less as psychotic and more like him realizing "THIS was the I was worried about fighting?"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

I don't think continuity of costume design and general aesthetic is something the DC films are concerned with tbh. Aquaman is the follow up film to ZSJL, and look how different those films look from one another lol. I'm sure Ava DuVernay's New Gods film will be aesthetically wild.

I'm like insanely hype for this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grimdude posted:

I mean, it sounds like the way you miss this is by watching it drunk at 6 AM. That and/or I guess just not paying attention at all? I don't know how you could watch that movie and not know he died at the end otherwise. Seems unfair to blame the direction, also to compare it to Suicide Squad.

*Doesn't pay attention to half the movie, spends a good portion browsing poo poo on their phone*
"This movie sucks! Who is that? I can't even tell what's happening."

Sorry this was a joke about a post someone in and earlier DC thread who was dying on the hill of where they felt that most viewers of Suicide Squad did not notice when El Diablo died

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Plus anyone who heard that Zack Snyder's "Justice League" was good and doesn't know

The Asylum Presents Joss Whedon's Justice League.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Martman posted:

Just realized Richard Roeper gave the rare review take that Zack Snyder's Justice League is worse than Whedon's, but still worth 3 out of 4 stars.

How can someone exist who gave Josstice League 3.5/4, and still likes this movie too. I mean ok at least he enjoys stuff but that is amazing.

Might be a Batman '89/Danny Elfman superfan which is fine.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McSpanky posted:

This would be even funnier because Elfman's Whedon League score was absolutely terrible. It was so weak and thready that most of the time I could barely tell there was a score, it was operating at the level of "music coming from another room that you can just barely tell IS music, but not what is actually playing". And the arrangements of the old hero themes he was hired to copy are as anemic as Whedon's comedy beats. Any true Elfman fan should find that score equally insulting and embarrassing.

The music for whenever the Russian family was on screen was the absolute worst for me, it really was unbelievably bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

Gotham rent is probably pretty dependent on how recently your building was turned back from being a giant clock or how close you are to the giant bronze torsos.

More of a question about the comics but in the DCU do they have like super villain insurance? I like how in Marvel Hulk Insurance is its own separate type of insurance you add on when you purchase home/disaster/whatever insurance.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the other way around, videogames look like the star wars prequels! (Final Fantasy XII)

I think the 1999 (?) version of The Haunting and Whedon's Justice League are the only time I ever though "these effects look like a video game." for Josstice League it was for Steppenwolf in particular, not just how the character looked but like, the line trail when he'd swing his axe and stuff, looked awful to me.

I still can't believe was like, a character, and they cut all of that down to him just looking up to the sky an saying Darkseid randomly lmao

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I could see describing Transformers that way. The camera is just all over the place and everything is just so much CG with so many polygons. I think Transformers looks like rear end though.

Pacific Rim also had so much CG I could see calling it videogame-y, although the first tried to keep the camera more realistic to avoid the issue somewhat. (the sequel not so much)

But at the same time, I'm honestly dying for some movies to look more like games. I'm tired of shakey-came up close fast cutting action, I want more fighting scenes where the camera is pulled WAY back and you can see the whole room and get a feel for the space like in a videogame more than most movies. Its more work, but it would be really satisfying. Great action movies already kinda do this.

The other thing is I just want more insane DBZ level anime fighting in action movies. And that's kinda "videogamey" too but IMO its cool, in a good way. Like the fight with the Amazons jumping off horses and stuff; that's loving cool poo poo.

I also want to see more first person movies, but Hardcore Henry's focus issues shows why its so hard to do right. (maybe not an action movie lol)

Massive same, like I look at some of the GOAT action like Swordsman II: Asia the Invincible when Master Wu is like waving his hand and parts of the entire ground are shifting up to smack people and then he like draws people towards him and crushes their faces in and stuff and it's like, you could do all this wild poo poo that now that CG is a thing. Or like the fight in front of the massive Buddha statue in The Seventh Curse, like, there's so much wild stuff people were coming up with BEFORE big budget 3D games and CG graphics in movies. Now you can literally do crazy anime poo poo and like, I think Justice League is one of the only flicks to try to completely follow through with that that allows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_GB4lE01Gs

1h19m37s for some good earthbending

I liked the verticality of the fight halfway (?) through Justice League a lot for that and how Flash was used in it. Especially the absurdity of them all slowly trudging up the stairs and then each having their "gently caress you do dad I can cross a precipice LIKE THIS" moment because it was a fun way to set up all the ways characters would be falling and fighting throughout that scene.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 24, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Something else Ang Lee's Hulk and Man of Steel have in common is I've had people I've been friends with IRL for decades stone cold look me in the eye deadly serious and say they can't really trust anything I say about movies ever again because I mentioned liking them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Augus posted:

There are obnoxious Snyder fans and also obnoxious Snyder anti-fans. Such is life.

Truly you have mastered the anti-fan equation.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Someone please ask Snyder to put this in the BVS cut.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I still maintain Hillary supporters should've been referred to as "hill folk"

Hilltops.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

smoobles posted:

the funniest part of this exchange was the fact that it happened right after WW exploded a guy into pink mist in front of everyone

that little girl is a sociopath.

That's just how kids are drop what you're doing and watch Psycho Goreman

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

That poor reactionary he just wanted to return Europe to the good old days

I get not liking Gal Gadot as a person but the character of WW is a pagan Greek demigod who is quite emphatic to others. Like if she starts sniping children at recess cuz their wrongfully imprisoned fathers went on a hunger strike in prison, then sure that's some Israeli soldier coding. But otherwise it's just a bad reading

Wait til you see WW84 they have a scene where thank God she's there to rescue these idiot backwards Arab children who are playing in the middle of a street as like an active battle is happening around them with rocket fire and stuff. Also features "the king of Egypt" but somehow around in the year 1984. gently caress that movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I know that guy was not the Clock King but I'm going to say he was the Clock King

An extended ultimate cut of Justice League that's the same movie but he introduces himself as James Olsen, whose son Jimmy was killed because of badly handled CIA surveillance tech just so Jimmy Olsen getting fuckin' owned can extend to his entire family instead of just him.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I want to be clear, I don't have an issue with the action in the scene. I don't have an issue with her just straight murdering those guys, Gods can't be bothered to care that much about mortals (I think thats generally a through line in many Superman/Wonder Woman stories) it's just presented in a tonally odd way was all I was trying to get across, there is only wonder, not a single bit of horror from anyone in the scene (and its a p horrific scene).

These aren't folks used to horrific things on a daily basis like children in war zones, they're explicitly some bougie rich kids who have likely never been threatened before and not a single one is upset about it?

They should have set the scene in the US so it would be more realistic that the school kids would be used to insane white regressives shooting at them.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nroo posted:

Watch some South Korean films to learn that weird tonal whiplashes are fuckin dope and should be more prevalent.

Agreed hard and am stealing this to word it exactly like this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

In BVS Bruce has the first nightmare scene that has Superman and also parademons and then the message from the Flash about how Lois is the key. And as Alfred points out in Justice League yeah absolutely Lois was directly involved in what goes down throughout BVS in a critical way. So that happens, and Bruce's faith in the world is restored and he understands Superman is the real deal because he sacrificed himself/etc. So then Justice League happens, and Bruce worries that the Lois is the key thing might have been referring to "something darker" and the Flash said he was too early/etc.

And we get that of course with Superman getting the black suit and Bruce continuing to dream about a slightly different but still lovely version of the future with despot Superman (and as some have observed you could interpret his beating down of Steppenwolf to be a little more brutal than expected, though personally I saw that as just Superman being relieved that this guy was nothing compared to Doomsday and that he was more ripping/beating the armor off of him than anything).

Anyway the lovely future stuff, since the absolute worst first version of the nightmare in BVS had parademons in it, was Darkseid going to relate to this? Like time travel shenanigans+Superman post-apocalypse future could easily be its own entire movie so that seems like it would have been a lot.

Was the final resolution going to be Batman/Flash getting a message back/accurate enough that BVS happens differently where he and Batman aren't at odds with each other so Superman's last moments aren't "Batman focusing his entire life on destroying me before I sacrifice myself," so that when he's resurrected he's not as violent? Like I doubt the entire story of what was specifically planned will be known for some time but if it was going to hinge on some degree of Bruce/Superman/Lois' faith in each other that would have been kind of cool.

Neurolimal posted:

I like TLJ, but I still kind of wish Rey had joined Ren in ruling FO. Pretty surprising twist, works as the low-point of the series, and you can go in a lot of fun directions with that.

We'll never, ever get it, but I'd love to see just what happened behind the scenes. I genuinely believe JJ/Rian/Colin had a plan, but Disney ripped it up because Colin directed a bad movie and 50% of nerds whined on twitter about TLJ.

Yeah I can't imagine none of the three had some kind of general arc or plan in mind even if Disney acts like there was none, I mean clearly there was none by the time finished products were being made but yeah.

I was surprised Rey didn't actually join Ren (or vice versa!). I like TLJ, but I think the praise it gets for shaking up the formula and stuff is a little exaggerated, it DOES shake things up in some fun ways but all it ends almost the exact same way it began. In the heat of the moment when I saw it for the first time I felt let down by that because it really would have been something that shakes up the story a lot.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 26, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I keep thinking that Waller died in Suicide Squad but it's just that I'm remembering the Arrow version of the character who shot herself in the head because Suicide Squad was coming out and DC was really weird about having two versions of the same character in different places for a while.

That reminds of how in Batman Begins there was a line of dialogue mentioning Metropolis not in any major way but because Smallville was still going and they felt people would be confused.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

smoobles posted:

Every time they cut back to the fleeing rebels I remember just thinking "wow these guys are still running away huh"

When the first say how they're being tracked through hyperspace I thought they were going to take it in the direction of some traitor being on one of the resistance ships which would have done a lot for that part of the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Rewatch done. Liked it even better the second time, as I said before. The epilogue stuff after Lex and Deathstroke's feels tacked on, because it was, but I do appreciate how Snyder just threw everything in there. I really do hope we get a sequel to tie everything off with a nice bow. I want more of this Superman who completed is personal journey and what kind of tales you can tell with him.

I really do think more than anything with WB ditching all of this, I cannot loving believe them not just dumping trucks of money on Cavill every day to get more Superman out of him. Absolute great casting and I love this version of the character.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

But now you're saying MM could've saved Jonathan and didn't. The dude can literally go invisible.

"She's a proud woman."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder didn't know Swanwick was MM until after BvS. The scene at the end was shot in such a way that it could be either a Lantern or MM (Affleck's reactions are neutral) and Snyder wanted Jon Stewart. When he couldn't get WB approval for the Lantern, he did MM.

Should have had the same scene but at the end Manhunter's like "maybe a more costumed human look would be less intimidating to the people of earth" and he just turns into Swanwick in a Green Lantern outfit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

stratdax posted:

You can have humanity in your movie without characters laughing and hugging. I know you know that. But I don't think it's controversial to say that's not what Snyder is good at. Without it, it's a four hour slog of CGI spectacle. Like I said, Cyborg was played up as the emotional heart of the movie... And there was barely anything there. (Except, with his insane powers, he.. gave a lady 100,000. instead of, I dunno, changing the system that allowed her situation to happen in the first place.)

It would be sick if, had another Justice League movie happened, Cyborg starts doing this bit by bit and you see it reflected in like Metropolis specifically being like the quasi-futurstic/everyone's doing relatively pretty well in place of that 90s (?) Superman animated series, like make it an actual city of the future in a good way and not a tech douchebag way. Like have Superman's influence on people be less direct but have way more powerful effects on the direction of the world like Batman's optimism in Snyder's Justice League and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Krypton honestly looks a lot like traditional depictions of Apokolips when it's being destroyed. A crazy nonsensical twist in which Krypton was not fully destroyed somehow and literally is Apokolips would be dope.

This could be cool but I don't know if I'd want it in a hypothetical next few justice league movies since we already had two movies in a row where Superman has to kill the last remnant of his people.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Augus posted:

lmao which one of these movies was being called "monochrome" again

This does remind me of how insanely bad Steppenwolf's forcefield/everything looked in the Whedon version, like crazy disjointed and the forcefield thing itself was visibly going at like 20FPS and really jarring and ugly to me. It always felt especially bad to me because even as a rushed re-shoot, they consciously chose to go for that like pulsing hexagon pattern to it and it looked horrible.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

Desaad being like "I fuckin told you dude, that guy suuuucked" and Darkseids "yeah yeah yeah I know" crack me up.

I really did love how they come off like knuckleheads from old times there instead of just like a ruler and evil vizier kind of thing.

Desaad's pettiness in general owned, reminded me of Klytus from Flash Gordon (in a good way) lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

teagone posted:

Diana says she's never seen someone as powerful as Steppenwolf before, maybe only one other being (Clark). Them being unable to subdue him is the main reason they even considered bringing Clark back using the motherbox (after learning it was even possible to do so).

This plus Wonder Woman defeated the Actual Greek God Ares who was there next to Zeus fighting in the mega battle against Darkseid back then so like, if she of all people is straight up saying Steppenwolf is the most powerful thing she ever encountered then that makes resurrecting Superman a lot more reasonable.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Equeen posted:

Then who is it Zack???

A cryo/hibernation/whatever type pod, hurtled through space, and then presumably feeling the effects of a nuke after the events of BVS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ysPO7cWRng

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

I've only seen that "blood rain from the sky" bit but based on that alone he was probably having a good time

As opposed to josstice league reshoots

Besides what others have said he's also really good as a side character in Ridley Scott's cut of Kingdom of Heaven (another really good long flick that was butchered for its theatrical release) and, shudder, Eragon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I mean that's almost satanism. poo poo, me and snyder have something else in common now.

Makes sense

https://www.churchofsatan.com/satan...20of%20readers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

KVeezy3 posted:

As Superman, Clark certainly has trepidations about engaging too directly with politics, and so relegates his heroics to disasters. While It is a political statement to not only interrupt but destroy the C.I.A’s drone on foreign soil, the U.S. media apparatus was able to effectively frame the massacre as 'The Superman Incident'. The U.S. worries about such a powerful figure who cares beyond nation states, and questions whether even his limited actions should be curtailed.

One of these ‘apolitical’ disasters is the Juarez rescue scene, where Superman’s initial joy is quickly overtaken by deep apprehension when the Mexican people solemnly reach out to him. Jaurez’s many maquiladoras are emblematic of the wildly exploitative relationship that the global north has with the global south (NAFTA’s “Free Trade-zone” designation escalated the ability of U.S. owned maquiladoras to extract even more cheap Mexican labor). With the skull imagery echoing the scene in Man of Steel where he's swallowed up by human skulls, here Superman comes face to face with the limits of his current level of activity, and how much injustice is left behind,

It’s his position as a reporter that he tries to bring attention to systemic issues, as a part of humanity. As he finds that private media is deeply compromised under contemporary capitalism, it’s this process that he becomes increasingly disillusioned with. The impetus for Clark to get involved as Superman is not just Batman’s targeting of the poor, but the fact that the police state supports it. And so he decides to use his power to fight for the civil rights of a sex trafficker and he ultimately sacrifices himself to destroy the unholy union of capital and Krypton.

Amusingly in Man of Steel he was going to spike a drone in front of Swanwick outside of the US but this was changed in notes from their military consultant people because then it would imply that the US uses drones to hurt people. They also made it a point that any time a drone was mentioned it has to be specifically said to be unarmed. So BVS was an extremely real flick in this respect.