Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Schwarzwald posted:

instead of INRI we have LMAO

Very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

My biggest idiot post in CineD was me saying that Detective Pikachu was going to do as well or better than Endgame, lmao.

Sometimes ya gotta swing big.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I snorted.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a good point but I didn't want to put that in because it's honestly a fair criticism. I tried to only do poo poo that's stupid, such as "this movie takes itself seriously" or "the things in the movie don't mean anything" or "this movie will inspire people to become insane fascists". That kind of nonsense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, some of those spots are surely theoretical fair criticism, no? Like its at least hypothetical possible that the film is in fact "too long", isn't it?

That one is a direct result of being in a bingo square and not having enough space to write out a nuanced "The film is too bloated/long for the silly punchman story it's telling".

But yes some of them are theoretically fair, but I'm wagering most of them won't be!

Jimbot posted:

If anything, that account is a good reason to avoid twitter altogether. Those tweets are over dumb punchyman films. Imagine what kind of amazing, nuanced takes they have about things that actually matter.

One of the really wild things about post-post modernism (in my opinion, and yes this is a bit of a hot take) is that there is zero gap between important political stuff and cultural detritus; people are now relating to politicians in the same way that people were stanning celebs in the 80s. The new Taylor Swift is Andrew Cuomo. Yuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

David Mamet sees that tweet and bursts into tears.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well Ledger's Joker is good at sowing chaos, but it turns out that his theories on people's innate badness are totally wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Snowman_McK posted:

Not really. More of his plans worked than didn't and the only reason the last one didn't was because of one guy who didn't pull a trigger that he absolutely thought should be pulled. He thought it should happen, but didn't want to be the one to do it. Tiny Lister's character was the only one on screen who outright rejected the proposal.

I think everyone in the other ferry did too? I don't remember very well, sorry. It's been a long time.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

2house2fly posted:

What are the odds that the detonators he gave them would have actually blown up the boat of the person who pressed it

I actually thought about this at the time. I told my friend "I would be telling everyone on that boat that if they pressed that button there's a great chance they blow themselves up, it's the Joker baby!!!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can click that tweet to see all the chapter names btw. Thank you for posting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I remember Man of Steel trailer 3 and the extreme "trailer-ability" of Snyder's style. That was cool.

Also LMAO at the idea of Dark Knight Rises being the "schlocky" one.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

WB doesn't really want any kind of campaign surrounding ZSJL to succeed. Note that they have the same anonymous WB execs leaking "we still hate this it still sucks" messaging to the usual suspects.

Wait...they have?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Robot Style posted:

Yeah, WB is the studio that literally thought "BvS was too dark" meant "have more scenes take place during the day".

I feel like this definitely deserves another "Wait....they did?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

AccountSupervisor posted:

WB execs were blindsided by the critics reaction to BvS. They loved it and thought they had another Dark Knight in the bag. I even had a friend at the studio premiere who hates MoS tell me BvS was actually really good and he was surprised, standing ovation from the audience(typical of premieres though).

If anyone remembers they actually did fan screenings about 2 - 3 days before the "real" release date of BvS. Every single DC site was like "wow what a flick!" for a couple of days, there was zero "this is a disaster" stuff. Then the critical consensus dropped and that was it.

I wish there was a way to sort Reddit subforums by day because the DCEU one on the leadup to BvS would be extremely interesting. It's like it gets hit by a bomb. Goes from people losing their minds with hype to see the movie (and a the few who saw it earlier crowing about it) to the atmosphere of a tragic wake in like, 5 hours.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That weird period of 2013 - 2017 where clusters of critics just went off the deep end (and I don't necessarily mean about Snyder, they would kook out over all kinds of stuff). Remember when Film Crit Hulk was a thing?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I liked Jupiter Ascending just fine. It had a big energy that I enjoyed. Also that sunset fight over Chicago was *nuts* from an aesthetic perspective.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

A filmmaker(s) who has the clout to command a huge budget AND complete creative freedom to do whatever they want with it is nothing to sneeze at. There's a limited amount of films that have ever been made under those circumstances and I pretty much enjoy them all on some level. I saw Heaven's Gate and thought it was excellent, even despite it's flaws.

To be honest - and I'm not trying to be a doomposter here - I'm getting big time Heaven's Gate vibes from ZSJL. I too enjoy Heaven's Gate and think that it's overall a worthwhile film, but also I was alive and can remember when it came out and got relentlessly poo poo on for like, 2 years for being too big, too epic, too expensive for what it was. Seriously even Mad Magazine was trashing that film. Then once some time elapsed and people were able to approach it on its own terms it was considered pretty good and definitely very unique! Unfortunately, I think that's the arc that ZSJL is gonna take.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

It that line from Jonathan Kent "Fly son, it's time." new?

Yes it is.

bushisms.txt posted:

This worst is when they lead with " i heard it was bad." Had someone say this to me about macgruber, then they called a week later to say it was good. Ironically, that's what killed speed racer.

There's so much of this that goes around. Good fun unique movies that people would enjoy. The well gets poisoned by the absolute worst loudmouths.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Superman throwing away Clark Kent - only realizing he needs that side of himself, too - is a great arc. I would have loved to have seen it.

Edit: oh man this is cool. The Riddler discovers the anti-life equation?!?

Edit2: THE LAST SUPPER OF THE JUSTICE LEAGUE?!?! Oh man I want to see this....

Edit3: Superman getting cucked by Batman is hysterically funny to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 5, 2021

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zack Snyder's Guide To Watching the Snyder Cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opwO0Ko5FcQ

He suggests the times to take a bathroom break and get a snack if you're a "hardcore viewer". TLDR: pause when the Chapter 5 title card comes up.

He also reveals the IMAX version has an intermission at this point in the "theatrical release".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I am really enjoying the transition into "Zack Snyder's Lord of the Capes"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I feel like that guy also deserves to be on the cover of a NVIDIA graphics card, since he looks like somebody set the "shiny" and "muscle" slider to max.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

John Wick of Dogs posted:

What is it, I don't have YouTube on my current wifi network. Is she like a comics-gater or Starwars-truther or something?

You can best sum it up by her phrase "don't sjw Star Wars"

Which, even if you read it in the most charitable way possible, is a very stupid thing to say.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you think that going on a pundit's show is bad if that pundit holds bad views then I have sad news to tell you about literally everyone who has appeared on any talk show.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

There's a moment on the Mall Rats commentary where Ben Affleck talks about when he roomed with Kevin Smith and was sleeping on the couch while Smith and Joey Lauren Adams (Smith's gf at the time) engaged in loud "adult activities" and it's as funny as anything in the movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Thank you mods.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

But Snyder also made Batman v Superman and that movie was unmitigated trash, as was everything he's done other than 300. Man of Steel was SO horribly bad. I just can't see this being significantly better.

Almost nobody shares this opinion and Man of Steel had Snyder's best audience scores of all time. Sorry, you're in the minority on this one. I would not expect anything out of ZSJL and you're probably better off playing Hitman 3 for 4 hours instead.

Also I can assure you as a Snyder-liker nobody is afraid to poo poo on me online for my opinions for over a decade. The idea that critics have suddenly developed a collective fear of SnyderDorks is, simply, ludicrous.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I wasn't saying a fear of snyder fans so much as just easy engagement. Clickbait and all that. That's not the same as fear.

Why in the world would they suddenly reverse course and start clickbaiting with positivity after a literal decade of "this guy is an Objectivist Randian jock idiot" clickbait?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I mostly like Watchmen, although the Hallelujah scene alone basically ruins it for me. And the comic is just better, but that's typical of movie/comic -> film adaptations.

I hope y'all enjoy the film I just think IGN was overly glowing, and IGN isn't exactly the pinnacle of film journalism. Sorry if I rocked the boat!

Thank for stopping by.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

"The 3rd act of Zack Snyder's Justice League is on par with Infinity War and Endgame!"
"That bad, huh?"
"HOHOHOHOHOHHHOOHOHO"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm making a joke, chill out with your "objectively wrong" lmao. We're talking about a superhero movie, why so serious?

Let me tell you the same thing I told my six year old the other day: just lying about something isn't a joke.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

Could this movie be that good? Or are reviewers deciding to focus on the artist over the studio for, like, the first time I can remember?

My theory is that Marvel being gone from theaters for almost 2 years has created mental space for people to process different takes on cape flicks. For better or worse, Man of Steel was released about 14 months after The Avengers and people were comparing the two.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

Has Zaphod42 done that?

In the space of about 20 posts we've gotten:

1) It's awfully suspicious that critics like this movie
2) I'm just saying, the guy hasn't made a good film in 14 years
3) What even is the Snydercut? some kind of extended edition?
4) Those lies I told? That was a joke, chill out.
5) Man you guys are awfully sensitive...not healthy thinking IMO

Where will we go next?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Darko posted:

I have better ones. I'm currently frightened by Jesse Eisenberg. Might share them in the Discord in the leadup.

Please. Please please please please. Please.

And thank you!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Spacebump posted:

They were also comparing it to the Dark Knight.

Were they? I completely forgot. Could you get me a cite on that (if you can't - no problem, I believe you, just want to read one for myself)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

teagone posted:

Believe it was Variety's review that put ZSJL in company with The Dark Knight and Spider-Man 2. On mobile so can't cite atm (too lazy lol)

I believe he was discussing Man of Steel, as in Man of Steel was being compared to the Nolan trilogy as well as Avengers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

roffels posted:

I can understand some things getting changed for tone or time, but seriously, what was gained in the Whedon film by making that change? Was it to show that even when Batman is in a bad spot, he's always in control and has a back-up plan?

Yes, this is actually a very common complaint on the comic side, that he's "theoretically" a regular guy at peak performance but in actuality is written to have supergenius "Batgod" levels of planning and contingency.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lois is the best she's ever been in Snyder's movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

abraham linksys posted:

watch BvS for the first time to really complete the picture

But it's almost assured that you won't like the completed picture...don't waste your time.