Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't think it has a prayer of happening... but if it builds any hype at all it'll make the suits at WB look like idiots who killed their golden goose. That has satisfaction of its own.

Every possible outcome is extremely funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People fall into the trap of the expository dialogue, when the basic point of the boat scene is to confront people with all that mass incarceration going on.

The Joker doesn't actually care what the individual people do, but he does roll his eyes when nutty Bruce Wayne says "people are ready to believe in good" - because that's straight-up Harvey Dent's campaign slogan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterCat posted:

I haven't seen Birds of Prey or either Wonder Woman or any Justice League version yet. Are any of these essential before watching the Snyder cut?

I did revisit MoS and it's a wonderful movie full of emotion

Wonder Woman 1 isn’t exactly essential, but it‘s the movie that’s most aesthetically and thematically aligned with Snyder’s trilogy. There’s a ton of intertextuality with Man Of Steel, and it’s probably smooths the transition into the wilder Amazonian and Atlantean stuff in ZSJL.

Basically, if you watched Man Of Steel and Ultimate Edition, and you’re up for another two hours of that, you can’t really go wrong there.

WW 1984, on the other hand, is designed to be as un-Snydery as possible, and almost literally takes place in some kind of dream sequence.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 17, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Reporting in from the Part 5 intermission point:

lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
SnyderCut rules. Obviously. But there’s just so much to process here.

My big takeaway is that the film is just amazingly perverse. I kept waiting for something subversive to happen, but the movie is just straight-up Zack Snyder doing a dumbass-ludicrous Avengers movie. Of course, as per usual, everything is pushed to camp extremes, and it’s perpetually right on the edge of saying our heroes will doom the whole Earth - but it never tells you what to think about this. The irony is that Snyder’s ‘pure artistic vision’ was to give the studio precisely what they asked for - so much of it that they became terrified, and choked.

This is where we get the obvious emphasis on faith. Besides the bare fact that they’re not genocidal death locusts, the heroes are indistinguishable from misguided villains. With the original Superman dead, there’s nothing to serve as a contrast. They are, like the ‘mother box’, not precisely good or bad but simply a bunch of fuckin’ weirdos. So, in a form-meets-function sort of way, it is up to each viewer to risk faith in these characters - even when what they’re telling us is batshit, and presented in elaborate simulation-hallucinations of dubious past events.

Diana’s ‘history lesson’ is identical to how Cyborg visualizes the stock market as a monster battle outside a Hogwarts: the language of fantasy used to express something unknowable and incomprehensible. This makes SnyderCut as much a sequel to Wonder Woman 1 as it is to BVS, given so much emphasis on the gulf between faith and mere credulity. It matches the lengthy closeups of Pa Kent’s photo being tossed aside, underlining that bodily immortality’s not the point.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The apocalypse scene isn’t that indulgent. It goes on for a while longer than it strictly needs to, because of the Jokester monologue, but it’s an important part of the narrative.

The SnyderCut’s actual indulgence is that it has like eight or nine different (slightly redundant) opening scenes. I would personally restructure it so that the Superman death scream occurs later in the film, as a series of flashbacks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Augus posted:

I think the streaming format was perfect for this kind of film (even though it would’ve looked great on a big screen) with the chapter divisions providing natural points to pause the movie, grab a snack, take a piss, whatever. It felt more like watching a well-paced mini-series rather than an overly long movie.

In fan-editing circles, they have what they call “Extended Editions” - where they add all of a movie’s deleted scenes back in to achieve a purely maximized runtime. That’s basically what we got here - except that it’s the director himself doing it, and that it flows like butter.

I kind of see Justice League as the Way-Too-Long cut of Watchmen, where they included an entire animated cartoon about pirates and Snyder was like “yeah that one’s strictly for the fans”.

What I’d ultimately like to see is the 214 version.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

FizFashizzle posted:

This movie needed to be about Batman, Superman, and Lois Lane getting their poo poo together. That right there is a massively more interesting story than whatever the gently caress I just watched.

You’re letting what you wanted to see cloud what you did see. That’s why half your post is “why am I seeing this?” instead of “I saw this:”.

Like it or not, Lois is a fairly minor character - and Superman exists purely as an aspect of her character. Like, the not-even-subtext is that she practically wishes him into existence.

This is where the Martian Manhunter scene is really important: Lois almost ignores Martha and returns to the monument “one last time” - but with the obvious hope that Clark will finally return. Then, because of the crazy bullshit, Lois explicitly doesn’t get her poo poo together, and treats this replicant Clark as identical.

This is of course the exact opposite of what Cyborg learns in his arc - but the reveal that it was a creepy fake Martha creates a false impression that Lois was right to never stop grieving. In truth, the new Superman is a new being. He has a third father, in the group who resurrected him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Nah man I like the scene but it's still pretty hilarious that she straight up destroyed a whole wall off a building then gently told a girl she could be anything she wanted to be. Like I expect it from psycho goreman not justice league

That particular scene is pretty much a direct reference to Dark Knight Rises: the terrorists’ plot is to make it appear as a bank robbery gone wrong so that people blame the attack on “criminals” or “leftists” or whatever.

Diana destroys a chunk of the building because she herself wants to make a statement about punching Nazis, and that she doesn’t particularly give a poo poo about the bank or the cops. It’s also why she very deliberately pauses to speak to these girls.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Its Chocolate posted:

this is a really bizarre interpretation but why DID Martian Manhunter do that? did he know that Superman would go nuts and Lois needed to be there and was using reverse psychology on her?

It’s one of those the many things in the film that’s open to interpretation, all centered around the obvious question of whether it’s actually good for Superman to be back. Like, for another example, the Kryptonian computer warns about using the mother box the same way it did with Doomsday - but Krypton was generally hostile to any form of change.

Snyder’s absolutely playing on the fact that, if you squint a bit, Manhunter looks exactly like the evil Superman from Bruce’s nightmares - even though he seems nice enough.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

JuHoZ posted:

re: The black suit. I always thought that a black suit was more formal in the world of krypton.I thought the red, blue and yellow came from the blanket he was wrapped in as a child. Wasn't the cape originally that blanket?

That’s from some comics, but Man Of Steel has it specifically designed by Jor-El and/or the ship’s computer.

In Justice League, Clark chooses the black suit because the silver S on black background is the “if you seek his monument” symbol. That again implies that the ship custom-created it for him, because it would be a hell of a coincidence otherwise.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

multijoe posted:

Pretty sure the Superman vs Steppenwolf fight is meant to leave a bad taste in your mouth and underline how overwhelmingly powerful Superman is even to the team's other heavies, which given what we know from Batman's visions means they may come to regret reviving him

I also thought it seemed pretty clear that the five probably could have defeated Steppy on their own, with Superman’s appearance being almost gratuitous. Like, Diana’s the one who cuts off his drat head. They really just needed to distract him long enough.

Again, this is the entire point of the film: in the aftermath of the death of Christ, what if his followers literally brought him back with cloning or whatever, instead of just having the Holy Spirit live on inside them?

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm sure this is not an original thought, but I feel like at least part of the reason Snyder in particular is targeted with so many accusations of "not understanding the source material" is paradoxically because he not only understands it, but takes it 100% deadly seriously at face value, rather than being embarrassed by it or having to cover it up with twenty shades of irony like so much of the last twenty-five years of comics and their adaptations do.

While that’s certainly half of it, the other half is that Snyder takes the characters seriously enough to criticize them.

ZSJL Batman’s Christian faith is presented sincerely, but it’s also very clear that he’s a fuckin terrible Christian whose primary concern is defeating the enemy. It’s actually made somewhat clear that this is Luthor negatively influencing him.

Cyborg hacks into the bank and gives this woman $100,000 - which is, like, “yay!” - but he only does it for this one sad woman, and otherwise respects his father’s prohibition against doing anything too politically radical. It’s simultaneously good that he copes with the trauma of his car accident and highly questionable that he’s a part of a “Justice League” with a seemingly very limited definition of injustice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
RE: Anti-Life Equation, it’s probably a reference to Kant and his assertion that, if we were to directly access the noumenal domain:

“God and eternity in their awful majesty would stand unceasingly before our eyes. … Thus most actions conforming to the law would be done from fear, few would be done from hope, none from duty. The moral worth of actions, on which alone the worth of the person and even of the world depends in the eyes of supreme wisdom, would not exist at all. The conduct of man, so long as his nature remained as it is now, would be changed into mere mechanism, where, as in a puppet show, everything would gesticulate well but no life would be found in the figures.”

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

pr0p posted:

Yea man I think they just thought anti life equation sounded cool.

The name honestly doesn't sound that cool, and the basic concept is what Kant wrote but shorter. The idea is that this equation provides the reader direct knowledge of the structure of the universe, and thereby renders them incapable of faith.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arkage posted:

Some posts in this thread feel like they came from some alien planet and then very roughly translated into English.

The basic premise of the film is that, after Superman died for our sins, Bruce Wayne is dealing with all kinds of religious feelings that are not necessarily good (e.g. Catholic-style guilt).

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well yes you would assume so but no one really seems interested in understanding/expressing the intent. Some people in here have tried to but the attitude of "he just likes squares let it go" just dismisses the question of why as somehow unnecessary

You're going at this backwards, because nobody needs to "express the intent." The 4:3 ratio's been in use since the dawn of film.

Do you need us to express the intent of, probably, half of the movies ever made?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

kustomkarkommando posted:

Did most of those movies select that ratio intentionally for effect or because it was the standard?

It's a non-standard practice now and choosing to use it is a choice in much the same way as choosing to film in b&w or choosing to use vintage lens.

Again, you're going at this backwards. Do we need to explain why 4:3 was the standard in the first place? Why weren't films just wide from the outset?

It is not a technical limitation. Strictly speaking, a camera lens is circular. The rectangular shape that would capture the maximum information from such a lens would be a perfect square. It follows, then, that all screens should be perfectly square. Your television or monitor is wrong because, even in 4:3, you are 'losing' the top and bottom of the full possible image. Can you explain deviation from the square?

In a digital age, there is also now no particular reason for photographs to be rectangular. The geometrically perfect photographic image is a circle.

However, computer-generated imagery means we are no longer limited to the information obtained from a lens, and so we can finally obtain the perfect frame to match human binocular vision: a roughly 5:3 irregular ovoid. Can you explain deviation from this?

Instead, we can say this: intention is expressed through action. The use of the ratio expresses the intention to use the ratio. It is.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sodomy Hussein posted:

And frankly if you watch Superman '78/the Donner Cut of II back-to-back you basically see that Man of Steel is just a remix of those two movies that theorizes a little bit more about what is going on with the other Kryptonian characters.

And then Justice League has the same “run around in a circle until you rewind the universe” ending.

That’s my fave reference after Batman repeating the bomb trick from Batman Returns.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

2house2fly posted:

Quick q: after Steppenwolf takes the final box, Victor is looking at where his dad was, he says "this wasn't your..." and then trails off, and then realises that his dad marked the box. Anyone know how that sentence was going to end? It has the vibe of referring back to something earlier in the movie but I don't know what specifically

Presumably “...redemption”.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

I said above but I think the idea is, normal people just in general taking part in the story. Justice League is the weakest of the trilogy in that aspect but it's because you have 5 super teamers, Atlanteans, Amazonians, etc to cover, and while you still have Lois, Martha, Silas, the scientists and Alfred, they are a smaller ratio than in an average super hero movie.

The shift in Justice League is that these are the normal people now. Like, okay, Aquaman's fully living life of a pagan god and Bruce Wayne's obscenely rich, but the rest of the team is:

-Immigrant woman coping with grief and social isolation.
-Unemployed neuroatypical dude, with dad in jail.
-Physically disabled college student.

They have zany abilities, but they're not really living that god life. Diana's doing better than most, though, which is why she's trying to help the others.

The role of the 'unpowered' humans is mainly to emphasize that not much has actually changed after Superman's death. Like, the little scene where Lois buys coffee shows us there's still class disparity and, y'know, police. The bank took Martha's house, and things just keep slogging along.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
For the record ‘grimdarkness’ refers to both:

A) The literal amount of brightness in a film.

and

B) The degree to which the characters enjoy what they’re doing.

Christopher Reeves’ Superman can crush Zod’s hand before killing him, but the scene is very brightly lit and he does it with a smile. The scene will consequently never be described as ‘grimdark’, even though Zod’s shattered body now lies in the Fortress Of Solitude

When Michael Keaton Batman sticks a bomb onto a clown and then tosses him into the sewer, this is dark. The scene takes place at night, and Batman is dressed in black. However, this is not grim because Batman does a goofy face.

With Iron Man, you have an interesting case where Tony Stark is addicted to killing. So, even though it’s vaguely presented as a bad thing, and there are plenty of scenes where he looks like he’s on the verge of tears and about to have a mental breakdown, the film is not characterized as grim. Also it’s fairly bright and colourful, even during the few night scenes.

This is where we get into the political dimension of ‘grimdarkness’, since films celebrated as the opposite (happybright?) tend to present a therapeutic narrative. The character is dealing with some difficulty or trauma (PTSD or whatever) and then overcomes it to embrace their role as a hero.

The reason the Snyder Cut has received such a level of mainstream praise is that its characters reach a point where they are ready to face whatever challenges... but then the film ends, before Cyborg can hijack the internet and implement a universal basic income or something. That would be a political statement, and certainly a lot of people would get mad at him. He would certainly be disobeying his father, and Bruce might not be very pleased either.

Consider the scene where Victor’s mom shames the old white dean for not being charitable enough. She’s not exactly wrong, but why not imagine a world where Victor’s friend doesn’t need exceptional grades or charity to survive?

The specific nuance of the Snyder Cut, at least, is that it ends with the “gratuitous” postapocalyptic scene, which specifically undercuts the therapeutic narrative. We’re still hosed. The job isn’t done.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gregday posted:

So the problem is that it happens in lots and lots of other places where it’s not warranted or adds anything, like the football game.

The football game is a very good example of using slow motion to convey feelings of elation. The character is all but literally floating towards the endzone, while an actual-speed version of the same events would be like five seconds of a dude falling over.

The basic reason we are shown the football game is that’s it’s one of the most important events in this guy’s life. It’s also specifically a memory, so the fact that the character remembers the event this way is characterization - he relates that feeling of elation to his mother’s presence, and blames his father for taking that away from him.

Snyder Cut really shows a variety of different uses for slow motion - from producing tension to introducing beats into an action sequence, or just showing that a thing is happening too quickly to photograph in the usual way.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

pospysyl posted:

Using imagery to convey characterization is dumb and dudebro. The better way is to have a dialogue scene where someone asks Victor what's important to him and have a line where Cyborg says, "I love football."

Youtube Poop Concept:

Replace all instances of slow motion with a clip of Jakesully in Avatar saying “sometimes your whole life boils down to one insane move”.

Caridean posted:

Weirdly, the only people calling Snyder a psychopath are the people defending this movie.

You are very bad at this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Caridean posted:

hilarious coming from you

I actually have a talent for parsing bad writing.

You initially ran into trouble by contrasting “garish” with “drab”, in a post about the aesthetics of the film.

When it was pointed out that calling such as the color choices "garishly drab" is oxymoronic, you immediately pivoted to the subject matter: you now meant that the subject matter is both offensive and boring.

The issue here is, as others have pointed out, you are (perhaps unwittingly) abusing the Oxford Dictionary to vacillate between different meanings of the same word, so that you are effectively claiming the ‘boringness’ is measurable in terms of light levels or something.

It may help to avoid metaphorical speech - like your complaining about reams of gore that aren’t actually in the film but that figuratively represent your visceral feelings.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Frankly, it’s just that Snyder and Lucas are fairly leftist.

Man Of Steel’s Superman punches a nazi and does property damage, endangering a couple people, so it fuckin broke a lot of minds.

As a contrast, the Avengers do collateral damage - canonically killing hundreds of civilians while fighting terrorism - which is okay.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

McCloud posted:

If 300 is taken at face value, sure, it's easy to see why one would call it xenophobic and bigoted and what not, but it's clearly not meant to be taken at face value.

This is where things get a little interesting with Justice League, since there has been effectively no complaint about the Amazonian plotline from the same people. It’s basically 300 in miniature, albeit without the child abuse aspect (perhaps for the simple reason that there are no Amazonian children).

Just in a general sense, Diana’s story is absolutely fuckin’ bonkers.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Hulk was BvS before BvS.

Hulk was largely ripped off by Iron Man 1.

BVS is actually a remake of Hancock.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

his movies have some nods towards the international and systemic nature of the problems the world is facing, and that's a good first step, but it's not like he's some kind of communist auteur, any more than he's a fascist lol. he's almost comically inoffensive, at least relative to the mainstream American baseline

You don’t need to go full communist to terrify the centrists. Man Of Steel’s liberal character is Jor-El. Superman allies with him, but is ultimately way more politically radical.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 24, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timeless Appeal posted:

You can make the satirical comments if you want, but turning an Iranian man into a monster and weaponizing queerness to make the audience uncomfortable is not great and worth critiquing.

Problematizing things is good. There have been plenty of queer-coded villains over the years (e.g. Willem Dafoe’s Green Goblin). So why does 300 specifically render people uncomfortable?

Frankly, it’s because Xerxes is way more seductive. The distortion of the narrative makes it exceedingly clear that Leonidas and the gang are very into it - which is why they need to so violently reject it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Thanks to the Snyder Cut, moviefighting has breached the mainstream.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wonder Woman killing the fascists is great, and the girl is cool for supporting it.

At the same time, people have missed the fact that Superman doesn’t “go crazy.” He remembers most of what happened and, from his point of view, he’s woken up in a horrible future dystopia. “If you seek your monument, look around you!” He’s surrounded by cops, and even the fuckin ‘ Off-Brand Avengers are there. He’s very lucidly pissed at them, until they give him a reason to spare them.

People have largely forgotten that everything in the lead-up to Justice League was about the Justice League being a terrible idea. Wayne stole the idea from Lex Luthor and collaborated with the NSA to make it happen. More importantly, Snyder typically uses slow motion to depict a distorted vision of reality. Watchmen has a lot, BVS features a little, Man Of Steel features none, and Justice League is chock full of it again.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 24, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

Isn't the only slow mo in BvS the Wayne's murder?

There are a few instances - most prominently during the batmobile chase.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Martman posted:

There's a lot of interesting scenes where it's almost unclear to me if there's any slow-motion. ...

So many of Superman's motions are these extremely slow, cautious movements that make the action epic and intense, like when people in Mexico are reaching out to touch him, even though it's actually in real time. If you wanna run with SMG's take that the slow-motion represents a kind of distorted reality, you could see a lot of this action in BvS as Superman kind of crossing over into that realm.

It’s not always a bad distortion, mind. Like, in this case, the slowness is a mix of the crowd’s reverence and Superman’s unease with it.

The scenes with Flash, specifically, read differently since he actually is perceiving the world that quickly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The Martian Manhunter subplot is tricky because the point isn’t that Bruce Wayne is teaming up with yet another alien, but that he’s now in cahoots with the US military.

It’s why General Swanwick was chosen as a ‘good enough’ replacement for the Space Police.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Khan was absolutely intended to be a ~wild shocking reveal,~ to the point that JJ actually straight up lied to people who asked if cumberbatch was playing khan.

People are mixing up different things because of memes.

The JJ “mystery box” concept is simply to avoid over-explaining your narrative, so that parts retain a certain mystique. Like, what’s in the Pulp Fiction briefcase? The audience doesn’t actually care what’s in the box because they already know that the answer is probably banal.

Rey’s parents, Khan, etc. - these are not mystery boxes, because they’re eventually explained. He’s Khan, she’s Palpatine. Whatever. That’s just some poo poo.

And before learning the answer, when people went insane wanting to know who Rey’s daddy is, that’s wasn’t ‘mystery box’ either. That was just rampant hype.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Q: "Who's Obiwan?" A: "It's that old man." is the opposite of his mystery box analogy. Abrams' point is that overall 'cacade': when a question is answered in a story, you introduce a new question so that the audience is kept engaged. These questions are just basic stuff like "what will the hero do now?", but you ultimately don't want your audience to stop thinking about what's happening in the narrative. That's to say that you don't want your overall narrative to be fully 'solvable'.

Abrams then moves on to examples of properly unsolvable mysteries, which are just basic stuff like Spielberg keeping the shark offscreen in Jaws. "What exactly is the shark doing when it's not visible?" is a mystery box. And again, it's nothing like the meme. The audience isn't desperate for more shark footage, to know that the shark is busy swimming around or taking a poo poo or whatever.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The difference between Snyder and Johnson is that, when Clark rises from the grave, Snyder cuts to a close shot of Jerry The Friendly Cop putting down his coffee and pulling out his gun. Jerry of course doesn’t actually do anything in the subsequent battle, but the meaning of the image is crystal clear and colours everything that happens next.

You don’t get anything like that with Johnson - narratively or politically.

Consider the bit where a little alien, who looks vaguely like a leprechaun, mistakes BB-8 for a slot machine and starts stuffing gold coins into him. BB later uses his internal mechanisms to launch the coins like bullets and somehow incapacitate (kill?) a couple prison guards. BB then pretends to be an old-timey movie cowboy and mimes blowing smoke from the ‘gun’.

So, like, how are we gonna read this? You can kinda trace a throughline from leprechaun to pot of gold to jackpot. It’s alleged that the leprechaun is an arms dealer, though we don’t actually see that. A wannabe gunslinger who assaults people with money could be a reference to the original Death Wish. But I guess these are prison guards, rather than muggers???

Anyways, not really as straightforward as “turning smoke back into a house” in the context of Martha’s struggle with the bank. There’s a major bank theme running through Snyder Cut, and that links it to the ‘reversal of entropy’ theme.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
We're shown a variety of different reactions from the various citizens. Many are fleeing in terror, but many are also relieved that the World Engine is gone and the world's not ending. Some are clearly rooting for Superman.

There are massive traffic jams shown around the city, as many people were attempting to evacuate. Makes sense that some people would head to the train station, if only to use the building as a shelter.

Also, Metropolis is just huge. If it were real, it would definitely be the largest city on Earth. So although you do get the destruction of a full city block, it's just a tiny portion of the whole city

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The argument is silly because the entire premise of the fight is that Superman is fighting to the death to prevent innocent people from being hurt.

“There’s only one way this ends, Kal. Either you die, or I do.”

Superman’s knowingly putting himself in a position where the most powerful being in the known universe is going to beat him to death, in order to protect people, and you can’t find any evidence that he cares about people in that scenario?

Zod’s not totally right, after all; Superman could avoid death by abandoning Earth, or joining Zod’s in the slaughter. But Zod knows that Superman would never abandon humanity, and mocks him for it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sethsez posted:

I agree with all of this, which is why I find the Knightmare sections a bit incongruous and the intended plan for JL2 and 3 somewhat redundant. We've already arrived at the end of a trilogy in which the protagonists have gone through the worst and come out the other side bruised and battered but wiser and more self-assured. As much as I want to see Snyder continue in this universe, I have no real desire to see these characters broken down emotionally again, especially to the degree it appears they were going to be.

As others have noted, what’s at stake is not Batman’s self-esteem. To make a point of this, Cyborg refuses to join Darkside (in exchange for the resurrection of his parents and a comfortable suburban lifestyle), but still ends up in the same future - just now on the receiving end of the violence.

The ‘Mad Max’ world isn’t actually so bad for the majority of people. They’re living comfortably while this demon-god harvests all the resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

stratdax posted:

After letting it stew for a few days, I think I've soured a bit on this movie and think it was kind of dull. For all the talk of the emotional heart being Cyborg, that amount to "not much". 4 hours and there is so little emotional content. I've never seen a film so long with so little in the way of characters actually forming bonds with each other. I dunno if it's a lack of chemistry between the actors, or if Snyder is just not good at that particular part of movie making (another notable example being Nolan), but people are comparing this to LOTR...but I was more invested in those characters and their relationships within the first 20 minutes of Fellowship.

The movie isn’t about the characters bonding and, like, hugging eachother. There are plenty of moments like Diana opening up to Victor about her grief, but the characters are fundamentally not united as a family or whatever. Instead, they’re all about beating up the space fascists.