Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe2jKs7sfrs

Holy poo poo cannot wait for this film to hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Violator posted:

I hope everyone does their part and pays the $15 for a month of HBO Max to support this after all of these years. :colbert:

Edit: Show those bean counter egg heads we want more Snyder.

Still waiting for UK release information. I'll happily pay for it if they give us a means, but if the only place showing it is on the other side of a VPN they've only got themselves to blame

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I've been seeing loads of promo mini-stories on it across the usual media sites so it looks like someone in WB is trying to market it at least

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The United States posted:

It's a movie where fishmechs will burst through your wall at any second to interrupt your conversation

So that where she's been since she got perma'd

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Another thing I was surprised that carried over from the Whedon version: Superman and friends still don't have to do anything to defeat Steppenwolf, he's just hosed as soon as Superman shows up. I thought it was kinda funny in the original -- Diana and Aquaman are fighting Steppe side-by-side and just barely holding on, and then Supes just pops in and sends him flying with an uppercut and says "hey guys! how can I help?" and they're just like "I guess keep beating the poo poo out of that guy that's stronger than both of us put together."

I thought Snyder's version, with all the emphasis on how they need to fight together instead of apart, was gonna make it so that Superman had to work together with the other Superfriends to hit Steppenwolf's weak spot, maybe it takes all of them blasting away together to break his armor or something. Nope! If anything, Superman's even more overwhelming in this one! Steppenwolf brings his axe down with all his force, and hey, Supes lets it slam right into his muscular shoulder and doesn't even flinch. Then he just delivers a ridiculous one-sided beatdown and tortures him a little with the heat vision before trying to toss him back through the portal in a very comic-booky "we're sending you back to where you came from, Steppenwolf!" Thankfully Aquaman and Diana (do they ever call her Wonder Woman?) had the sense to chop his head off before he has a chance to become a recurring villain.

The real dramatic weight of the scene is in Cyborg and the Flash destroying the motherboxes, though I thought the way Superman just turns up and gives a One Punch Man beatdown to the guy the rest of the team united could barely keep up with was meant to be a little disquieting and underline how helpless even Earth's strongest are next to him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Leto seems like a pretty gross dude, but it's kinda nuts how some art project music festival one-off thing has turned into "he is a cult leader".

Very reminiscent of pointing to the 'genuine racism megathread' in FYAD as proof of genuine racism

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He really is cultivating a cult leader aesthetic though so I'm gonna have to sit on the fence on this one

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Its Chocolate posted:

"He will see my worth again?" have we got some Hordak pathos going on here?

*scene immediately cuts to Bruce Wayne using a disposable razor*

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pretty sure the Superman vs Steppenwolf fight is meant to leave a bad taste in your mouth and underline how overwhelmingly powerful Superman is even to the team's other heavies, which given what we know from Batman's visions means they may come to regret reviving him

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Dog posted:

The ending and epilogue seem to suggest Batman was right to begin with and should’ve finished Superman when he had the chance.

The whole thrust of the knightmare visions seems to be providing the present with the information they need to prevent the bad future from occuring, given it seems there were two more films planned one of them would probably have been the mad max knightmare film and then a return to the present with Darkseid's invasion but preventing the death of Lois, Superman turning evil and killing his comrades and so on. So it's a pretty ambiguous situation they're in, things don't have to go down the same way but he has a brittle psyche right now to say the least and the league really took a gamble in breaking the laws of nature to bring back the guy who can punch really, really good to win a fight for them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Robot Style posted:

https://twitter.com/KnightFleck/status/1375580045486489603?s=20

This definitely could've been explained more clearly in the movie.

That's a real Lazerbot rear end post

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I dunno, I feel like the tree is Earth in this metaphor in which case it's like you were climbing a tree and then all of a sudden a bunch of bees, squirrels, and birds formed an alliance to attack you and you fell out of it. I feel like I would remember that tree, but I guess it depends on the concussion.

Everyone else who knew the way was Slayed

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

I can't imagine Desaad saying "please."

Stepphenwolf: That's it? After 100,000 conqurered planets it's 'hurry up and find the third one please'?
Desaad: I don't recall saying please

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They were also really, really struggling with Steppenwolf prior to Superman turning up, the only reason they got that sick fatality on him at the end was because he punched off all of his seemingly inpenetrable armour that had deflected every other attack against it throughout the film. Without Superman just brutalising him for a couple of minutes there was no trident through the back or decapitation

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I mean the entire film is Steppenwolf being an absolute unit and barreling through any opposition against him and even in the final battle Wonder Woman and Aquaman are barely hanging in there and can't land a single good hit on him, I really don't think it's unreasonable to take from that that they really did need Superman to make the difference

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Christ what an absolute oval office, that is such a vindictive move

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

He sacrificed his career to destroy Joss Whedon, in a way he's more of a Superman than Henry Cavill

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

McCloud posted:

Again, you should try to discuss this lens specifically as it relates to the movies instead of making vague platitudes and handwringing about "how he totally could be a secret objectivist!"

What about his films specifically portray his superheroes as " godlike culminations of human success that operate as torchbearers for the rest of humanity and should not be held down by outside constraints" that doesn't also apply to Iron Man, Captain America or Thor or even Spider-Man?

They're shot well

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does Superman accept those objectivists viewpoints and gently caress off to Mars leaving the humans to die, or does he reject those viewpoints that his powers give him a responsibility to help people? Seems like that would be avery important piece of information that would make "are these movies about how helping people is morally wrong" an easy question to answer!

Pa Kent isn't esposing objectivism anyway, he's just aware that visibly saving people will 'out' Clarke at a formative stage in his life, isolate him from the rest of humanity and make an exceptionally valuable asset for the government to acquire. He's trying to let him have a normal childhood so he can become a well adjusted person and use his powers judiciously, and not develop Homelander Brain

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somethingawful needs a Discord-style reaction system, because this is a very funny image and I have nothing to add to it other than "lol".

A good empty quote is it's own reward

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That guy who thought Steppenwolf was a transformed Ares wasn't far off

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you can't appreciate a good 'Goku's finally made it' moment I don't know what you're doing watching comic book movies tbh

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think it's that ridiculous. The worst Marvel movies are just bland and boring rather than outright bad. But imo that's a worse crime than making complete stinkers. At least films like Catwoman are interesting in a what the gently caress kind of way.

Perhaps 'bland and boring' is a type of badness in itself? If a trainwreck like WW84 is more fun to watch than Marvel's The Avengers Neoliberalism Man 4, in what way is it a worse film?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Fwiw WW84 is extremely liberal, and in a more hollow and clumsy way than any Marvel film (except probably Iron Man 2)

The climax of the film involves WW pleading with the world that better things arent possible

I'm not saying it isn't, but it was done in such an inept and downright weird way that it's a fun experience to watch and at the very least you can tell it was directed by a human being who was at least trying to communicate something through the film, which is more than you can say about some other comicbook film series 'pipelines'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Oh so you think Marvel Studios films are all McDonald's? Where are the fine Michelin star meals I've been missing?

You're the one who described their filmmaking as an industrial process. They're a factory that shoots out edible Content, pretty much your own words