Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

My official guess is John Stewart Green Lantern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like Ledger's performance was going to be huge regardless of whether he died or not. It really is that good. I don't think you can overhype it, it's one of the best ever, in any genre. That's why it's hard for me to say that TDK isn't the best of the trilogy, the other two don't have anything even close to what Ledger did there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm interested to see it in the expanded aspect ratio. Might make it feel like an IMAX movie or something like that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jupiter Ascending has it's supporters in CineD(I'm one of them), but god help you out in the real world if you ever say you like it. People get hostile about it, they loving hate Jupiter Ascending.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A filmmaker(s) who has the clout to command a huge budget AND complete creative freedom to do whatever they want with it is nothing to sneeze at. There's a limited amount of films that have ever been made under those circumstances and I pretty much enjoy them all on some level. I saw Heaven's Gate and thought it was excellent, even despite it's flaws.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I hate this movie entirely because of Redmayne.

I also hate Redmayne entirely because of this movie.

It's an absurd performance that would be out of place in almost any other movie but for Jupiter Ascending I think it works.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Roman posted:

Pretty much every "X would never do that" has been done by X in another movie/comic/cartoon/tv show/1940s serial, Snyder is just crazy enough to do all those things in the same movie instead of going along with the generic storylines known in the mainstream

It's funny because that's like the entire driving force of what comics are and have been for decades. "Our readers will never expect this character to do X, so in this storyline we're gonna have him do it!!!" But these characters have now been present in film for so long that the majority of fans no longer have any real knowledge of the source material. In comics they had to come up with new and interesting ways to surprise people, it's not the same as putting out a Batman or Superman film once every 5 years when people are so hungry for it that they'll happily swallow the same old poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Did we already have confirmation that Keaton was playing Batman? I don't remember that being confirmed although it was definitely a rumored possibility.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Cutting the romantic subplot means cutting the character entirely. Yes.

I wish I got into this industry as there seems to be no standards and words can mean anything!

Regardless, the article is worded specifically to make it seem like Snyder himself decided the character should be cut. Even if the character was cut while Snyder was still director, it's clear that the ridiculous studio demands were the reason for that, not Snyder. It would've taken like three extra words to explain that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm not really worrying about what time the Snyder cut is dropping because I kinda assume I'm gonna have trouble streaming it in 1080p for like the first 24 hours or so. I don't trust HBOMax to handle all the traffic.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

So has there been confirmation of what time it's dropping yet? 3am EST?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm about an hour into this thing, and so far I'm extremely impressed at how the story actually hangs together in the way you'd expect it to. It's not a jumbled mess anymore, at least so far.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

I'd pick the cult thing before the condom, though that's also pretty skeevy.

Movie looks good, looking forward to eventually watching it in a way that does not indirectly award casting Gal Gadot or Leto. Since Whedon's shoots are still being discussed I had a question: how many movies have had a completely different director reshoot/regrade/cut most of an original director's work, and been regarded as good? Genuinely curious because I dont have encyclopedic knowledge of film, but it seems like even when you're not pitting two directors as diametrically opposed as Snyder & Whedon against each other, it's still a tall ask to have a new person complete the first guy's artistic vision.

I can't think of any that were actually regarded as good. Paul Schrader's Exorcist sequel was reshot by Renny Harlin but the result was terrible.

There have been movies that turned out good after being reshot but the ones I know of weren't with a brand new director. Like Back to the Future, where they filmed something like half the movie with a different lead actor and then fired him and hired Michael J. Fox. Or Tarkovsky's Stalker, where all the film got exposed so he had to go back and reshoot everything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

- "they call me... the martian manhunter" made me laugh out loud i'm sorry that name is so ridiculous[/spoiler]

Yea that was dumb as hell, he should've just said "they call me...John", and let the fans who know get a kick out of it and the ones who don't aren't laughing at how ridiculous it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

He is the man behind Lost.

As fast as movies go, there was the whole Khan debacle from Star Trek Into Darkness. Trek 2009 was relatively straight forward for a reboot/prequel/sequel goes.

The first movie had a big surprise twist too when Nimoy showed up. They kept that hidden fairly well, iirc it wasn't widely known leading up to the release of the movie.

And yea Into Darkness was definitely meant as a surprise Wrath of Khan remake but it got leaked and the whole thing was ruined(I've grown to really like the movie though).