Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I think the executives were looking for a way to wash their hands of the movie and collect a bonus from whatever revenue it generated, but if they were enthusiastic over... all that, then yeah they're delusional. On the other hand, they had years' worth of the internet making GBS threads on their previous DCEU offerings, so maybe they felt desperate to appease self-appointed tastemakers and trusted Avengers Guy to right the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Big Barda recruits Wonder Woman to finish the fight. Snyder is crowned king of the nerds.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That Killjoy Article posted:

Fisher continuing to assert that DC Films’ Walter Hamada interfered with investigations into alleged misconduct on the set of Joss Whedon’s version of the movie, and Warner firing back by touting a statement from one of the investigators in question, defending Hamada’s character and conduct. Snyder’s defense of his star is admirable, but it also points to what a weird one-off this whole Snyder Cut project has been, with a director actively touting the work of an actor who is now essentially at open war with the studio producing the film, for unclear and uncertain benefit or gain.

What the gently caress? It's weird that he would stand by one of his lead actors who ate a ton of poo poo for the past several years? Who's the objectivist here, again?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Real talk, those cops who watch over the Kryptonian hand-me-downs immediately ready pistols as soon as Superman touches down. Paying too much respect, indeed.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

hiddenriverninja posted:

I wouldn't watch the WC on its own anymore.

Dump the WC in a WC where it belongs

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Darko posted:

Batman just looking like a moron once Clark notices him and having everyone trying to hold him back as he slowly makes his way over to him is way better than the goofball stuff and quipping he was doing in Whedons.

And in the context of Clark holding back throughout the BvS fight, Bruce is very correct to now be frozen in place by a confused, threatened, amnesiac Clark.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alexander Hamilton posted:

If it makes you feel better, just pretend that Lois is bribing the cop with coffee to get a close-up look at the site. She did that in BvS to get into Wallace Keefe's apartment already.

She may also feel grateful specifically to the security presence at Superman's memorial given how it was previously defaced.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Axel Serenity posted:

One thing I appreciate is that Zack really understands The Flash. Just a mind-bogglingly powerful nerd whose troubles are almost always his own making.

I appreciated that moment near the end when some parademon bug minion at a turret is able to reason out firing in the Flash's path and letting the blast knock him over. For that matter, "ice skating" is a pretty good description for his running, one catch and he goes sliding away.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

"Cyborg generated unearned currency -- that's the Fed's job! And the free money went to a working-class, single-parent parasite - that's a congressional crony's job! The horror, the HORROR!"
-Ayn Rand

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

My takeaway is this Snyder one is obsessed with daddy issues and the nuclear family.

It's what motivating pretty much all of them except WW. Flash, yep his dad is in prison and he's gotta impress/save him. Aquaman, angsty and sad, mad about his lineage. Cyborg, very angsty and upset w/ dad. Batman is sad his parents friend died. Superman romanticizes his past with his family, seems to draw stability from his familial home, lots of closeups of his dad, Kevin Costner, holding that fish. Only WW just wants to help ppl, horray. Even Steppenwolf just wants to get back into dad's good graces and will do whatever it takes. Why are the macguffins called Mothercubes and why does Cyborg murder his family inside of them to accept himself?

Observations/Questions like these get to the heart of what I loved about the movie's characterizations and messages about heroism and inner strength.

Wonder Woman not doubting her sisters/mother for a second after Steppenwolf's goading was great. She knows they had no fear and would not beg for their lives - they raised her and she'd been among them for thousands of years! And yet, she holds that messenger arrow at the end, wondering what DID happen over there that they had to use it.

Batman, having made it his life's mission to tear someone down on little more than suspicion, now seeks to build a team in his memory, if not completely resurrect him for a do-over on their friendship (Faith, Alfred!).

Superman, once he's centered again via Lois, his "world," does his Superman thing. I'm curious what his black suit represents to viewers, both versed in comics and not. An acknowledgment of his death/funeral/rebirth? Superior solar absorption? Wiping a slate clean? He reverts to primary colors in the Knightmares...

Cyborg murders the illusion of his family inside the motherboxes because they were the power of Darkseid/Apokalips trying to corrupt him. The beautiful lie that says nobody ever dies and you can get what you want without any consequences will corrupt you. Cyborg has the strength of conviction to live with his losses and struggles, and so does not need the ideological security blanket. His parents died, but their love lives on inside him and he doesn't need the comfort of some alien box offering to pretend everything's okay now.

Henry Allen calmly begging his son to move on with his life, and then pridefully witnessing through glass that Barry is finally getting his "foot in the door," gets me choked up every time.

Aquaman's movie was underway during shooting, so I guess his arc had the most "tune in next time" energy. Mera bloodbending ruled, as did Willem Dafoe and the background detail that Orm was permitting Steppenwolf to pluck Atlanteans from the sea. I dunno, Aquaman still hits the bar with his old man, not a lot of issues there, plus his (missing) mom kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

meanolmrcloud posted:

I might be misremembering, but I thought there were articles like a decade ago about how Lucas turned in a huge pile of boring space opera poo poo that was extremely recut by an editor into what we know as a new hope. Judging by what he also turned in for the prequels, that struck me as making a lot of sense.

https://twitter.com/Dannosphere/status/1366885464515305472?s=19