Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I worked through this over the weekend and while it was better than the theatrical cut, I can totally see how they didn't want to release this originally. 4 hours is too long and the film is just trying to do too much. I've been trying to distill down what I think the core problems with the DC movies are and I think it's 2 things:

1) The DCEU was too rushed because they were trying to catch up with Marvel. This movie crams 3 brand new main heroes into it, the Snyder cut does a better job of fleshing them out, but we're still playing catch up the entire time about who they are and what they can actually do.
2) Disney/Marvel made action movies that are based in comics and the DC movies are comic movies. One of the reasons I think the Marvel movies have had such incredible success is they've taken comic characters and stories and made them more digestible for the masses. These DC movies are basically live action versions of the animated movies they've been making for years. Obviously comic book fans will love that, but widespread audiences not as much. This snowballs with the first point because there's so much comic book poo poo tossed at you so quickly.

I'm left conflicted, I liked it overall despite it's issues, but it all feels like a waste as none of the plot threads they start will ever get continued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I am not digging on you specifically, but the attitude that the time you spent with the work is wasted because it won't lead to future cape poo poo is a bit unhealthy, imo.

Others have pointed it out, but I'm not saying my time was wasted. I'm saying that a lot of what the movie does (some of them being things Snyder explicitly added for this version) are wasted because this continuity will never revisit them.

I enjoyed my time with the film and I'm glad I watched it. I can see where a tightened up version of this movie could be released and worked off of for movies to come. The plot is still kind of a mess and rushed even at 4 hours though.