Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope the hero cameo is literally Jesus Christ

It's going to be Zod with the dolphin flippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

"Film twitter" having the exact same opinion as any random average person is actually a pretty good synopsis of the problems with "film twitter" (i.e. despite talking a big game, they aren't any more insightful or observant than anyone else)

I mean, a big part of the recent hubbub over the WandaVision line were film Twitter people explicitly rejecting the idea of criticism entirely.

2house2fly posted:

What are the odds that the detonators he gave them would have actually blown up the boat of the person who pressed it

This is what I always assumed, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Darko posted:

I think TDKR is the best, as it's all about honoring and merging all aspects of the character and giving him a send-off. The story is a mix of 5 classic Batman comic runs, and the movie contains pieces of the Animated Series, Adam West, etc. Blake merges multiple aspects of Robin's into one, so on and so forth. It also has the best score, and the climbing out of a Lazarus Pit scene is definitely the best sequence in all three films.

Dark Knight is definitely the weakest, but its also the least comic booky, which is probably why it is. Begins and Rises wear it on their sleeves I'm a way the middle one doesn't.

I agree about TDKR, it's also my favorite for all the reasons you posted (especially the climb scene and the score), and I love the operatic melodrama of it. I think there's something to why people who like TDKR also seem to like BvS.

I also think TDKR does something that few ending parts of a trilogy do - it very much feels as much of a sequel to Batman Begins as it does a sequel to TDK, and I think that's rare for a third part of a trilogy. Bane is clearly "what if Bruce Wayne had agreed to kill the peasant in BB" and I'm still certain that Nolan chose Bane as the villain for the third part because he name is a phonetic contraction of Bruce Wayne, and worked backwards from that.

TDK is still my second favorite but I do think the last third or so of the movie is weighed down a bit in a way the first chunk isn't (and in a way that BB isn't, either).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I remember people hating it from the moment the title was announced and saying the title was stupid.

I remember people being angry it was called Batman v Superman instead of Superman v Batman, because putting Batman first showed that Snyder didn't care about Superman and had just made Man of Steel in order to get to do Batman. I also remember a lot of "snarky" commentators making fun of the "v". Devin Faraci especially kept harping on that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What Faraci did was terrible, but at the same time should not have been a surprise to absolutely anyone.

Actually, not too dissimilar from Whedon, insufferable comics nerd used his performative feminism to get away with being an abusive rear end in a top hat and a mediocre talent, and it taking a lot longer than it should have for the disguise to fall apart.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just seeing this I can hear him doing his "hoarse whisper, hoarse whisper... YELL!" syntax, and just the memory is making me grin.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Also something popped out on me - the man in the wheelchair who defaces the statue and blows up congress is none other than Scott McNairy who was loving INCREDIBLE in Narcos Mexico S2.

You need to watch Halt and Catch Fire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I dropped off after season 1 out of laziness, I'll pick it back up.

It's one of the few shows that gets exponentially better with each season.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AccountSupervisor posted:

Patty might be busy with Star Wars and Cleopatra so might step away from Wonder Woman 3, but no way in hell would Zack want anyone other than a woman to direct it even if they tried to give it to him.

With Star Wars maybe, but there's no way a Cleopatra remake is ever going to get done by anyone. That's one of those cursed things that just shouldn't be tried.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Martman posted:

Neil Breen's Justice League

One can say all the revelations about Whedon coming to light have been a "Fateful Finding".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

josh04 posted:

Nothing says "postive and hopeful" quite like a film set in World War 1.

To be fair, since the Wonder Woman version of WWI ends with Eric Ludendorff killing the rest of the German High Command, then getting killed himself by a demigod, and then the war stopping due to a divine mandate, it's entirely possible that as a result, Hitler never comes to power and World War II never happens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/15/opinions/zack-snyders-justice-league-is-historic-farooqi/index.html

This reviewer is the guy who did the Forbes interview with Fisher that got him fired from Forbes.

Wait, what? What happened there?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

teagone posted:

You can, at the very least, get a feel for the original tone Ayer's cut would've had from its first look comic-con trailer before it got butchered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLQK9la6Go

One thing watching this brought to mind that I never connected before, that Harley Quinn asks Waller if she's the devil while Waller is standing over her. Lines up with Lex's BvS line about devils coming not from below but from the sky.

CelticPredator posted:

I hate solo so much because they fired two of my favorite filmmakers for some bland rear end poo poo.

Maybe OG solo sucked rear end and wasnt funny. But I’d rather see it over what we got.

Well going by the claims that were made at the time, the original Solo was tanked specifically because it was too funny.

That never fails to crack me up, people buying the Lucasfilm people's claim that they were just shocked, shocked! that the two comedy directors they hired wanted to have a comedic movie.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Heresy!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I watched a bit of BvS Ultimate Cut today while doing various things, and noticed two things I hadn't noticed before:

In the Day of the Dead sequence, Superman actually is smiling as he saves the girl, and then stops when the crowd all start worshiping him.

In the extended Knightmare sequence, they briefly show a post-apocalyptic bus - it's been a long time since I've seen Dawn of the Dead, but is this the same bus that they modify and drive out of the mall at the end? I noticed the BvS bus had the slit cut down the side and I remember the DotD bus having that for chainsaw access.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LOL at io9... they already pushed their review of ZSJL off the main page, and pinned at the top a puff piece about how deep Falcon and Winter Soldier is going to be.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Jimbot posted:

That one of the negative ones?

io9 has been super anti-Snyder but even their review couldn't fully deny that it was better, even though it tried to downplay it by claiming it's still the same movie in general and full of "hyperviolence" and will only encourage the "toxic fans" (not surprisingly io9 also had multiple articles warning about the mass shootings that the Joker movie was 100% going to unleash). The reviews comments though are full of ridiculous bullshit about how the Snyder Cut never actually existed and conspiracy frothing like that.

The fact that even they couldn't give a fully-bad review is probably why they're just trying to move past it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

No. Just two random thoughts while rewatching JL.

How lazy are where you gently caress up that bad with a DOB.

It always made me laugh when in Winter Soldier, they mention both that Black Widow worked for the KGB... and was born in 1986. So canonically she was a 5 year old KGB agent.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, just want to say I probably won't be able to watch it until Thursday evening or Friday, so am going to dip out until then.

But in time, I will join you all in the sun.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

There was an interview where Snyder was asked for advice to new filmmakers and he said not to hold anything back for a sequel because you never know if you'll get it or not. If you have an idea that's cool, then put it in the film. Worry about ideas for the sequel when the studio green lights it.

I remember Nolan giving the same advice in an interview after The Dark Knight came out.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Adrian Palicki Wonder Woman was a David E Kelley joint

Haha, looking it up, Pedro Pascal was going to be a main character in it.

And it's even Nancy Grace's first DC appearance, pre-BvS!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

that scene is set 5000 years ago, right? isn't that peak "people caring about Zeus?"

e: some cursory googling suggests that actually that might be pre-Zeus worship in ancient Greece

Not to mention, why is King Arthur around 4500 years before he's supposed to?

(Trick question, obviously Merlin sent him back through time)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The idea of the Riddler solving the Anti-Life Equation and then killing himself is grimdark to parody-levels of ridiculousness, which is also why I love that concept.

sean10mm posted:

Not gonna lie, I just find this style of snark loving exhausting no matter what the topic is.

I feel like there's a certain kind of Twitter generally liberal/leftist who grew up having their personality be defined by Aaron Sorkin and Joss Whedon (of course) and as a result mistake that kind of continuous sarcastic quippiness for having an actual personality.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Five-part trilogy? Sounds like someone is a fan of Douglas Adams....

Neurolimal posted:

It's dark but like, what reaction to discovering objective proof that life is hopeless would be appropriate

Jimbot posted:

It's silly and ridiculous but yeah, that kind of nonsense is played straight so it works. You don't need the film's permission to think something is silly and poke fun. It's better that the film takes it seriously when you might not. The alternative is that you get a bunch of wink and nodding at the camera crap or it never being brought up because it's so embarrassed by the source material.

Exactly. I'm sure this is not an original thought, but I feel like at least part of the reason Snyder in particular is targeted with so many accusations of "not understanding the source material" is paradoxically because he not only understands it, but takes it 100% deadly seriously at face value, rather than being embarrassed by it or having to cover it up with twenty shades of irony like so much of the last twenty-five years of comics and their adaptations do. Which then leads to viewers being exposed to the unshielded earnestness of a man dressed up like a bat fighting an evil warlord named Darkseid and feeling like they have to laugh *at* it, rather than *with* it when you have stuff like the Marvel movies or X-Men films constantly making excuses or self-criticizing their ridiculous aspects.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The anti-life equation was in the Waffle House the whole time

Fixed this to make it far more believable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

smug n stuff posted:

One thing that's always confused me about the "grimdark" conversation is that the Nolan movies are pretty gritty and "dark," but they're much better regarded than MoS and BvS by critics, and I don't recall there being much complaint about the tone (although I could certainly be misremebering) - is there a consensus explanation for this kind of mismatch?

I was thinking about this too earlier, and I think it's a mix of Batman "deserving" this kind of dark focus, and also Nolan at the time taking a much more realistic approach when the major comic book movies at the time were gaudy and campy, so it seemed novel. Now they're maybe seen as overplayed, hence the desire to get back to "fun" comic movies (despite the fact that the "fun" MCU has been the dominant comic movie property for the past decade).

Even so, there was stuff like Batman not saving Ra's al Ghoul in Batman Begins that Nolan got a lot of flack for at the time for being "not what Batman would have done." Though nowhere near the response that Superman killing Zod got.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Eh, the Star Wars example isn't great. Boba Fett, Wedge, and whoever all serve their roles in the film. People just want to see more of them.

There are whole books about how random people in the Mos Eisley bar helped steal the Death Star plans and poo poo like that. I think that might be more what Megaman's Jockstrap was talking about, just taking complete randos who didn't even necessarily leave a visual impression and covering their lives completely. Not that I'm criticizing because one of the best Star Wars comics runs (the Republic series that followed Quinlan Vos) was based entirely on a background character from Phantom Menace.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

Steven Universe ended with the hopeful message that you should feel bad and sorry for the tyrannical intergalactic titans because they were sad, you see

Aren't its fans notoriously vile and entitled, too? I feel like the only time I heard about the show was its fans trying to cyberbully someone into committing suicide for not drawing characters fat enough or poo poo like that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

In WW she's grazed by a bullet on the beach but heals up by the time the Amazonian doctor looks at it. The doctor seems surprised by how quickly she healed so I guess we can assume that she's never sustained any real injuries her entire life. Although, in WW84 both Diana and Steve are surprised when she started to bleed from the bullets fired from the armored car during the desert chase scene.

Isn't an Amazonian killed by being shot by a German in that WW scene?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

Didn't this have something to do with Snyder's original idea, where the motherboxes (or maybe the anti-life equation?) were tied into the Codex being part of Superman's DNA?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

What women in power have Snyder Bros driven off the internet?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's a new hot take: The Snyder Cut is bad because it didn't do enough to get Amy Adams fans energized to campaign for her to get an Oscar for it (?): https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/justice-league-amy-adams

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Srice posted:

I remember years ago when The Avengers came out, one of the earliest negative reviews was written by a woman and as is wont to happen when a woman writes something negative about a comic book movie, she got a ton of death threats. I remember it really felt like it got swept under the rug pretty quickly.

Amy Nicholson. Funny enough, she co-hosted a movie podcast with Devin Faraci who continuously called her an idiot for not knowing the names of Star Wars poo poo.

Also remember all those explicitly Neo-Nazi Marvel fans who got upset that Idris Elba was going to play a Norse god?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Here's a new hot take: The Snyder Cut is bad because it didn't do enough to get Amy Adams fans energized to campaign for her to get an Oscar for it (?): https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/justice-league-amy-adams

As an update, hours after posting this supremely dumb article, this site announced it was shutting down and ceasing publication. LOL.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

With this in mind, lets look at the insane amount of slow-mo in Tenet....

"The present has taken root in the future."

Actually speaking of that original quote and Tenet, Merlin was essentially inverted.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gatts posted:

Also the Leto Joker while not iconic like his predecessors is fine. Leto may suck himself but his Joker gets piled on unecessarily. It’s a fine interpretation but I think there’s something not quite natural or there is something artificial about his performance or energy. The other actors seem to channel an almost innate charisma into their performance and Leto isn’t transcendent like them to make the character. Maybe its also because unlike the other films he’s not written to be the focus

I kind of like that the Leto Joker comes across as him being a bit artificial and tryhard. I feel like that goes with the interpretation of him as a lower-level gangster playing up his role in the crime world.

Nicholson Joker is fun but it always felt to me like it's just Nicholson being Nicholson more than anything. Always thought it was like a more manic version of his character from The Witches of Eastwick.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm genuinely curious about Shapiro's take on Cyborg redistributing some wealth but gently caress actually watching that video.

I actually can imagine a possible conservative take on that scene being that Cyborg as an individual is rewarding that woman as an individual for being "worthy" of the money for putting in the effort, rather than Cyborg just changing the overall system to reward everyone.

I can also see an MMT argument being that Cyborg understands money is just a construct and therefore he's not stealing money from the bank, he's just making new money out of nothing for her.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

McCloud posted:

At best he was rushed to do TLJ and went with the first draft instead of polishing it up and removing the most glaring flaws

This really isn't true at all, and is kind of the opposite. Of all the Disney Star Wars movies, TLJ was the only one that wasn't rushed or compromised in any way, and it was the only one without writers and/or directors being fired partway through production, and it's one of the only Star Wars movies pre- or post-Disney to have the director as sole screenwriter (New Hope is the other one, if you include the uncredited script doctors who worked on TPM and ROTS). If you read the Art of TLJ book (which Johnson himself contributed to - the only time one of the directors or writers of the Disney movies did so) he goes into detail about the writing process and how from the first draft of the script, almost nothing changed to the shooting draft specifically because he got his vision down from the start and the higher-ups at Lucasfilm and Disney were fine with it.

Like TLJ or not, and regardless of how much interference there was in the other Star Wars movies, it absolutely wasn't the case that TLJ was interfered with. I mean, Johnson was even heavily involved in writing the movie's novelization. He shaped the entire narrative of TLJ in a way that even Abrams didn't get to do for TFA.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Augus posted:

knives out was a great movie

Knives Out is good. Ready or Not is better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Roman posted:

Found out he's played by Marc McClure aka 70s movie Jimmy Olsen, which was neat

I looked this up and found that for some reason Whedon changed the cop's name. What a weirdly petty thing to do.

Also had no idea that Jimmy Olsen was in Apollo 13 and the Back to the Future sequels.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

DarkCrawler posted:

Someone should have Snyder direct a Red Son movie/show, it's obviously what he wants.

Red Son was one of the Superman comics that Cavill based his MoS performance of Superman on. I don't know if it was something that influenced Snyder (or Nolan or Goyer) but it did influence Cavill.

Also I'm not afraid to say it, my ranking is BvS > MoS > JL. Though my preferred version of BvS is still some hypothetical halfway point between the theatrical and ultimate editions, I'm not a fan of Luthor being behind the prison murders and the African woman being a crisis actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I forgot that Jon Favreau was Foggy Nelson in the Daredevil movie.

Jessica Jones S1 was something that I felt was so well done, I never watched anything else because I felt continuing the story beyond that point would devalue the first season. Which by all accounts I was right on about.

I did watch Daredevil S2 and that was like, half pretty good and half... not. I do remember laughing a lot that the conclusion was that the Hand were... digging a big hole. I did think that Elodie Yung was a pretty good Elektra.