Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

what rape joke? When he said that prison rape was darker than anything in comic movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If it isn't a joke then that is even worse. "Man, how do I make a superhero movie dark? I have someone get raped" is an abhorrent thing to say and something a lot of comic writers are rightly criticized for using carelessly.

why is it bad for a film maker to discuss hypothetical scenes in a film? Are you saying that it makes light of real rape? I do not follow you here.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

goofy logic

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The issue isn't that he mentioned it as a thing, it is that he specifically said it would be something he would include in a 'dark' Batman movie.

but he did not do that ...

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

I'm sure we'd all prefer Leto removed, for sure. Even if ZS wanted Leto out, it's probably not quite as easy to replace or recast Jared Leto as it is Chris D'Elia. Leto is a full-on A-Lister and I'm pretty sure D'Elia wrote parts of his own Wikipedia page.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Ezra Miller being a non-binary queer icon and being one of the few people to chokeslam a woman into the gutter, on film, is pretty wild. That said, I rewatched the video and it wasn't as nasty as I'd remembered. It's still not cool by any stretch, but there's definitely an incomplete story there.

It's not mentioned on his wikipedia page at all, and Leto doesn't even have a "Personal Life" section. Whoever WB pays to scrub stories is doing a decent job on that front. Interestingly, a "Leto Rumours" google search returns stuff about his on-set "pranks". They're good at this stuff.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

roffels posted:

If he wanted to break everyone's minds, he could have gotten Joaquin Phoenix.

Maybe! That would've been great, but what I am getting at is that there's quite possibly terms in Leto's contract regarding where and when he's going to show up in WB properties.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

That's one of the parts I find most interesting too. "Mankind Is Introduced To The Superman" would trigger off a chain of events that'd dwarf any other in history. Metropolis getting microwaved like a spoon would be bigger news than 9/11 and the moon landing combined.

It's like that bit at the end of The Avengers where people copy Tony Stark's stupid chin-enhancing goatee, except considered for more than like 5 seconds.

well why not fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 15, 2021

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Watch the first 5 minutes of Batman V Superman and pretend you don't know what a Superman is. Bruce Wayne looks up as he clutches that kid and sees two kryptonians. Not Superman fighting Zod. Just two aliens making the city into scrap. How could he know that Superman was a benevolent force?

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

I like most of his movies, but I'm not a fan of Suckerpunch and didn't really like the Dawn Of The Dead remake. I haven't seen the Owl thing.

The fandom / anti-fandom is absolutely fascinating to me. I like learning about niche internet cultures (i used to read every single Weekend Web back in the day) and it's a fascinating movement. It's cool to discuss the surprising depth of the films contrasted with the public image of being beyond shallow.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

i just don't get it either ... there's just no substance to it, but it's just become so accepted. He likes Atlas Shrugged for the sex, violence and architecture. What are movies made of, if not those three things?

Also, what Objecticist would adopt four children, for a total of eight. That's the objectivist version of ritual sacrilege.

BvS has Bruce Wayne send a crippled former employee cheques, while Clark Kent defies his boss to investigate a story in an attempt help the downtrodden masses. Jon Kent talks about how he saved his farm, at the unintended cost of another person's, and how dreadful it made him feel - until he met Martha and his world became whole.

What would an actual Objectivist character do in these situations? Certainly something wildly different.

Even Diana, who has the most "gently caress you got mine" series of scenes where she chills at fancy events and boards first class jets, knows that uniting and helping others is key.

well why not fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 16, 2021

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Hey in BvS what's with the scene where Perry lets Lois use the helicopter "not for a story" - is that a hint that he knows about Clark?

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Should've been Matthew Perry.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

it’s almost certainly a Martian Manhunter reveal, but if we’re going crazy it’s Timothy Olyphant playing Green Arrow and Glenn Howerton playing Booster Gold.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

I want MCU characters to talk like real world counterparts. So Tony Stark should adopt Elon Musks' ridiculous affected accent and stammering rambles about internet memes.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Junkie XL is hopefully going to go full-on Brothers In Arms (from Fury Road) for Cyborg.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

There is a straight line between Pacific Rim and Jupiter Ascending.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

If you need some serious dialogue about the rise of machines and Laurence Fishburne is around you figure out a way to bring it to him.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

A week today and it'll be out. What a weird story. I'm somewhere with open cinemas but it seems like it's exclusive to the terrible streaming services. The Sydney IMAX is unfortunately closed for renovations. Maybe it'll be open around the time I'm ready to rewatch this.

I guess I'll give the streaming services a try or something. Basically no way to see this legally without giving Rupert Murdoch money is a sad outcome.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Kevin Smith is not my favorite director but he seems like a good guy overall. He's really passionate about this stuff and it can be a bit infectious.

I'm pretty sure he lives or lived in one of Affleck's former houses that he bought from Affleck on the cheap. I used to listen to smodcast years ago. I'm glad they're talking again.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Oh man, the crying. He cries constantly. It's endearing but not great audio. He's more than a bit obsessed with Batman, and pretty drat obsessed with Affleck. It's a very lopsided relationship, but I think that's no surprise.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Shazam sucks. It's also not nearly as funny as they think it is. The adult actor reminds me of one of the awful US late night hosts (Kimmel? Fallon? Either?) - intensely unlikeable.

Aquaman rocks, because it is dumb and knows it and it is brave to be dumb in a world where everyone wants to be smart.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

The only place to watch this in Australia using the murdoch-owned BINGE streaming service, which does not have 4K or HDR. The HD option is a high-ish bitrate 1080p. There's a free trial which everyone is abusing to stream ZSJL until the higher quality bootlegs drop.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Darko posted:

Note there are no non white Avengers in his movies.

One of two black cast members in Firefly is a warrior woman subservient to the white captain. In Serenity, her big moment is wearing a dress.

Joss Whedon deserves bad things in his life.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

Why is it 4:3, why is it so quiet, and why are there no subtitles?

because 4:3 looks cool, and your ears need to do some crossfit.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Axel Serenity posted:

Yeah, it's hard to really even call this a "director's cut." They remade the whole drat movie almost.

The most recent MUSE album has a few tracks re-done with different instrumentation and vibes, labelled "Alternate Reality Version". EDM Producers will also make VIPs - "Variation in Production" for their tracks, sort of a self-remix or alternate take that'll be used for live shows or promo purposes.

This is more akin to one of those, than a simple editing shuffle.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

noted objectivist acts of 'bonding together' and 'helping single mothers'

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

All flash related questions can be answered by “going fast”

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

They're definitely saving the "Flash Runs Around The Planet" scene for another movie. Probably also saving the reveal that one of Bruce's 6 satellites is a weapon as well.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

McCloud posted:

I mean sure, Jesus didn't know how to shoot a movie fr starters.

I am however not convinced Joss isn't the devil.

Poisoning global culture for a decade would be pretty safely a “devilish” act

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

They do a great job with that. It made it really drat clear that Kryptonians were a credible threat that Darkseid would have avoided when necessary. They could have been a real boon as galactic peacekeepers had they not become eugenic isolationists.

The assumption that kryptonians are good being challenged is something that really fucks people’s brains up

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

normally it takes a year or longer for a Joker scene to be a source of cultural embarrassment, geniuses Ayer/Snyder got it down to near instant.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

teagone posted:

Finished my 3rd viewing. Movie is still incredible.

it came out 24 hours ago, and you've watched it for 12 of those hours, you psycho

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Predator proves that all you need is thirty seconds of bigdogging and an earth shaking handshake for an origin story.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Grant Morrison is cool in a very very specific way that relies on the audience to be 110% on board with what he's doing. Even his more standalone works (I am directly thinking of All Star Superman) require a lot of either background knowledge or comprehension skills.

Seaguy, a three issue comic, which I've read the first of, is like being dropped into the middle of a superhero / slice of life comic set in Bikini Bottom as explained by someone who's four hours more wasted than you at a party. You just have to take it frame by frame and just take what happens as it comes. It's like, advanced comicbook reading.

Batman RIP was rad, a take on "every batman story is true" was not something I thought could make sense.

We3 will always be cool though.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Gotham rent is probably pretty dependent on how recently your building was turned back from being a giant clock or how close you are to the giant bronze torsos.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

I'd always chalked it up to backlash from being the first to follow Ledger.

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

He's meant to resemble a cartel lord, hence the gold guns and stuff. Cartel IG looks like this:

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

i haven't seen Whedon's version so this just seems like a blooper reel or a very high budget SNL sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 9, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Snyder didn't know Swanwick was MM until after BvS. The scene at the end was shot in such a way that it could be either a Lantern or MM (Affleck's reactions are neutral) and Snyder wanted Jon Stewart. When he couldn't get WB approval for the Lantern, he did MM.

Is this definitely true? Because there's definitely something up with him during Man Of Steel. The scene where everyone backs away as Superman walks towards the mirror includes a shot of Superman speaking "to his own reflection" while addressing Swanwick.

I know now that our current knowledge colours this, but it's very very intentional seeming shot.