Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

Didn't some BvS or JL storyboard that Snyder put out on his Vero a few years back already confirm that Swanwick was Martian Manhunter?

Yeah, I think they're saying it confirms that there will be some kind of acknowledgement in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm glad Snyder is making the movie with the ending he wanted and not changing it due to WB's decisions.

I'm also glad that it ending on a cliffhanger will probably mean WB's twitter accounts will continue to get bombarded by Snyder Cut fans.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

roffels posted:

I'm a dork and asked off of work that Friday so I can watch this late at night on my projector without consequence.

It's quite possibly the only thing I've had to look forward to this past year.

Honestly, most of 2020 I had no desire to watch anything new and basically fell back on comfort films or old classics. The Snyder Cut is the first release in a while that's made me feel that excitement of checking out something "new".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Robot Style posted:

"Make your own future / Make your own past"

Reminder that this guy's dad is Doctor Manhattan. With The Comedian and Miles Dyson, Snyder's dad-casting is pretty good.

Last night I rewatched Man of Steel and BvS with a friend who had never seen it before and we were talking about how stacked the MoS cast is. Getting Harry Lennix, Christopher Meloni, Richard Schiff and Michael Kelly in smaller supporting roles really helps open the world up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

KVeezy3 posted:

"I'm not broken.. and I'm not alone."
Cyborg's story is going to make me cry, confirmed.

Honestly, it's the thing I'm most excited for. As long as I get a solid Cyborg story, I don't care about the movie around it. And I have barely any knowledge of Cyborg as a character, I was so disheartened when I heard what happened to his character in the Whedon cut.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Necrothatcher posted:

Aquaman felt super sincere, which I always respect in a movie with a kinda silly concept.

Yeah. I've heard movies described by CineD as "big dumb labradors" and it's extremely accurate for Aquaman. Probably my third favourite DCEU film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Shanty posted:

I think is its biggest strength is that it goes hog wild with the pulp imagery, and you need a sincere approach to pull that off. No one is going "They swim now??" during that climactic battle full of giant crabs and seahorse riders in full battle dress, and it's all the stronger for leaning into it.

It's also impressive that the final battle scene is, comparatively, fairly short. We've had two hours riddled with cool action scenes so far, we don't need to drag the finale out much more.

But yeah, I agree. There's a way to take something seriously and sincerely without treating it "realistically" and Aquaman nails that. Just a fun film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Part of the reason why the Snyder Cut rules so hard is that it's making people who know they're going to hate it waste four hours of their life.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Roth posted:

I am simultaneously overjoyed to see this and just how good it was, and absolutely loving furious at how dirty Warner Bros, Geoff Johns, and Joss Whedon did every part of this movie

It's wild/infuriating to see scenes that are generally similar in the theatrical cut. You had all this good footage... why would you toss it?!??

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

McCloud posted:

Steppenwolf got fleshed out as well, with clearer motivations. Also he looked kinda adorable with those puppy dog eyes

Steppenwolf's pissy face kept cracking me up. It reminded me of my cat when she's just mad for no reason.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Blind Rasputin posted:

Overall it seemed the same to me. Four hour unabridged version of what was otherwise a perfectly good two hour movie. Zack Snyder could learn a thing or two from Avengerís movies and shouldíve made the ending happier and built to clearly lead into a sequel and a few spin-offs. As this Justice League Remake is now itís just too dark. Itís like Damon Lindelof wrote it or something.

The Avengers movies are all bad. Damon Lindelof is good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The Amazon chase is a really well-developed action scene. Diana's intro stopping the terrorist leading into that scene is a better Wonder Woman movie than either of the actual films.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Alita was good, and James Cameron just produced it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Horizon Burning posted:

serious poster fart simpson, did you waste four hours of your time watching a film you know you wouldn't like so you can try to own people on the internet, or did you not watch it and are just pretending?

This is the weird thing to me. If I disliked a director I would simply not watch four hours of his undiluted vision. Especially immediately after it's released.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

RBA Starblade posted:

So what does our lord and savior Joker Christ end up doing in the movie

Talking poo poo to Batman

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So does the Snyder cut really do much to improve the Whedon cut from something mediocre and barely memorable to something worth sitting for 4 hours watching? I can't imagine it does all that much to improve on the flaws of the original aside from adding more context and character development.

It does. If you're not a Snyder fan you probably won't like it because it's four hours of his kinda poo poo, but it's very different from the theatrical cut.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

roffels posted:

Definitely a little jarring, especially when placed alongside Batman V Superman and Man of Steel. If I recall correctly, the closest we got to a pop song in either film was someone in a bar performing a cover of a song.

There's a Chris Cornell song in Man of Steel when Clark steals those clothes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I didn't hate this Leto joker, but it's also really hard to get on his side after hearing about the used condom thing during Suicide Squad.

That never happened, it was just a dumb marketing thing

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Vince MechMahon posted:

He's still a literal cult leader, and an alleged rapist and pedophile so...

Yeah, which makes those perfectly valid reasons to hate Leto

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I'm an easy mark when it comes to crying during films. Movies I hate have made me tear up.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Boom Tube and Anti Life Equation are such good terms. I like a comic book movie that isn't afraid to be like a comic book.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Piell posted:

Tubes should have Boomed louder, it's barely a boom at all

I agree. I liked the little bloop noise though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Why do they make movies in a wider aspect ratio?

Because they can show more information on the sides of the image.

Ok so why would someone make a movie in a taller aspect ratio?

Because they can show more information on the top and bottom of the image.

It's kind of baffling to me how many people can't understand this simple concept.

It's wild living through the era of people being like "Why are there black bars on the top and bottom of my screen?" and then 20+ years later seeing people like "why are there black bars on the sides of my screen?"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

The aspect ratio controversy is the dumbest poo poo, and it's really disheartening to see it in CineD.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So knowing this, wouldn't you assume this decision was made with intent? Seems bizarre to think otherwise.

That's the weird thing. 4:3 is an aspect ratio a filmmaker can choose. He chose it because he thought it looked good. It does.

Edit: It just seems to have nothing to do with anything. The Avengers is in a totally hosed aspect ratio, but fixing that wouldn't mean it was a good movie. So what the hell?

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 21, 2021

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

kustomkarkommando posted:

Well yes you would assume so but no one really seems interested in understanding/expressing the intent. Some people in here have tried to but the attitude of "he just likes squares let it go" just dismisses the question of why as somehow unnecessary

Is there a good reason for it to not be in 4:3? Other than "Some people will have black bars on the side of their screens" which doesn't really factor into my thinking when I'm watching a film.

RBA Starblade posted:

He should have committed and embraced 3:4

Now we're talking

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

smug n stuff posted:

This is extremely well-tread territory, but this seems very explainable. My view is that the complainers donít actually care about the comicy-ness, but the fact that Snyder takes it all quite seriously in his presentation. Itís not as though the marvel films donít have comic silliness.

I think this is true, it's the fact that Snyder is very earnest or respectful of the campiness that makes it stand out to people.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jay-V posted:

so did snyders dad die or smthn, he very obsessed with dads

A lot of comic book characters have daddy issues

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

roffels posted:

He has a few adopted children. It's hard for me to separate that knowledge from his storytelling of Superman as an adopted immigrant or Cyborg's "I'm not alone" line.

Yeah, connecting this really made the proposed JL trilogy ideas land for me. Of course he'd be connected to Clark being adopted (it's probably why the Pa Kent scenes in MoS and BvS are some of the best parts) and of course he'd want to end it like that.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Josh Lyman posted:

Darkseidís design makes him look like an old balding guy with a chinstrap beard.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Zaphod42 posted:

Sure, but if someone posts "I thought ZSJL was good" are you going to call them out on it? Nah you take them for what they mean and move on.

If you disagreed and thought it was bad you would. That's why this is Cinema Discusso and not Cinema Personal Diary.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Martman posted:

Also keep in mind Ebert-level sometimes meant, like, "Jessica Alba has a really nice butt, 3/4 stars"

Come on, everyone knows Ebert was a boob guy

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

RBA Starblade posted:

"Hopepunk" as a term's been around a while and it's never described anything good

I saw someone describe Ted Lasso as hopepunk and it put me off ever wanting to watch it (I'm sure it's good)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

MacheteZombie posted:

too bad y'all, its cined canon that snyders dceu is hopepunk eternal

Um, Mods????

...oh, poo poo...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

FilthyImp posted:

"people were dicks about wanting something online, the horror"

It's such a weird tactic to try to make people give a poo poo about someone's Twitter mentions.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mantis42 posted:

He's a 'former' goon and between Snyder and his prequel opinions, I'm pretty sure he's a CineD fan too.

Yeah, he used to post here a lot

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Burkion posted:

He didn't talk about the Weird Fist tm

Best DCEU post is still the guy who pretended no one knew Diablo died in Suicide Squad

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

teagone posted:

One reason I like TLJ is because it has a lot of pretty pictures. Star Wars has never looked better than it has in TLJ (and Rogue One). It's also why I like Snyder's workóscenes that have interesting composition, lighting, color, etc. will always heavily inform my opinion of a movie. Snyder does pretty pictures really well, coupled with neat camera work and action design.

Yeah, TLJ is way too long and a little messy, but I like that it looks good and has a point and for the most part lets its actors do some poo poo.

Also, regardless of which Star Wars movies you love or hate, Laura Dern is maybe the only actor to make "May the force be with you" actually sing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah, I think he decided it for BvS, but there are some cool happy accidents in MoS looking back on it. For all we know, those could be why he decided to make Swanwick MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I think they redid Affleck's sides? But I'm not sure where I heard that.