Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Singer and Spacey. I don’t know of any stories offhand, I haven’t looked into it, but I have no trouble in believing that bad things by those two probably happened during filming. Not I’m concert, just their normal awful behavior.

I have a story. A friend of my brother's was a driver on the film and production stopped for several days because Bryan Singer vanished to go to mardi gras. It's not creepy or anything but it is massively unprofessional. I think he pulled something similar on that Queen film he did.

Jimbot posted:

The Making-Of Superman Returns on the DVD is really good. They really don't have candid behind-the-scenes footage like that any more. You never see people arguing or stressed out or anything like that.

X-Men 1.5 and 2 both had fly on the wall documentaries that captured a lot of arguments and stress. I miss those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Watching the gray edition right now and oddly some things are actually having more clarity then the color version.

Like I thought Lex in the ship looked super fake and looked completely dry in a pool of water, but in the morning here I could tell his suit was actually soaking wet.

God drat how did WB not see Lord of the Rings was the loving move to make with superhero movies.

They had a completed and superior version of Infinity War a year before infinity war, and instead delayed it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

He's going to comment on it because it's a popular movie and he's in this for the money. Who cares what he says? I'm sure it will be vile. Y'all wanna hear what my parrots had to say about the newspaper under their cages?

I would like to hear from your parrots.

teagone posted:

Oh right, I may be misremembering that rant. I just remember it being fairly aggressive and it upset a lot of people (especially when I shared it in the BSS Movie thread, lmao).

It was a reaction to a surprisingly common blind spot even very media savvy people have with regards to Batman. Even people who are canny and good at reading and thinking about the media they consume will react very strongly if it's ever pointed out that, at it's core, a lot of the Batman mythos is problematic and reactionary. Not that you can't tell a good story with him, but there's an underlying troubling aspect to him. Especially if you make him perfect. He never kills, he actually gets random goons jobs, he's necessary for gotham's safety or whatever. There's some underlying fascist fantasy to that version of him and it is a dream world.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
An interesting contrast is that Joker is built around Phoenix's performance. It's a great performance, obviously, but the film is entirely built to show it off. Virtually every scene is centred on him, and he gets a whole lot of time and focus to show off the character, both large and small moments. It's usually pointless to go 'well, the film's only good because of X aspect' but Joker is a film that is entirely made by the lead performance. Remove it or have it played less well and it's suddenly a very dull film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, people in disasters genuinely do pretty much all the dumbest possible things you can imagine.

My favourite quote on this was somebody talking about the difficulty of announcing that there's a tsunami, because most people immediately head to the beach to see what a tsunami looks like.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's something I noticed: that the two younger league members transcend the two titular guys from the last movie in very particular, fundamental ways: Batman has a huge amount of past trauma to deal with, And Superman gets blindsided and makes mistakes, while the flash can literally rewrite the past and create a new future. Superman can help individuals but can't break the systems that created those situations, Cyborg can. Batman's rich, Cyborg can literally create or destroy money on a whim.

It's a nice dovetail between the limitations we've seen of these characters and what the new characters bring to the table.

I finally watched it. Me and the wife sat down and watched it all in one go and holy poo poo. It loving ruled. There's a quote from a review of one of the Transformers movies I've always remembered: "It's the most movie I've ever seen" and that was on full display here. It's four hours but it's so goddamn dense.

The especially ridiculous aspect of WB's actions is how it seemed to be built to be cut down without losing much. It was great to see Cyborg's backstory and let everyone breath, but it relies on imagery so much that you probably could have cut it in half or more, and still gotten everything: the triumph of the game, the empty seat, the pained moment in the car, the headlights, and the hospital. It would have been perfectly clear and still a great scene. As it is, it was lovely just to let stuff like that play out in full, but Snyder did it in such a way that you could have gotten a really good 3 hour cut out of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm looking at Josstice League and made it to the thirsty convo and I just can't take it. The Amazon battle and Stephen Wolf are just soooooooo bad without the beats that make that action scene work as an actual chase. And the lack of actual score including the [wailing].

This MF said Stephen Wolf

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's still unclear what she actually plans to do with the Motherbox once it leaves the gigantic, conspicuous fortified bunker in the middle of nowhere, made for easy access by enemies attacking from the otherwise barren coastline. Or what they think arrows are going to do to the ancient, indestructible cube.

It makes the humans burying theirs in a shallow grave and calling it good seem relatively inspired.

I assumed she was trying to get it to the rest of the amazonian legions.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

The person I watched this with spent half the movie thinking that Steppenwolf was Ares after getting transformed by the Mother Boxes.

I think the person you watched it with is just dumb as poo poo.

The villains are really straightforward. Steppenwolf, who is very powerful, wants three things to functionally destroy the planet. The focus of the plot is to stop him. This drives 90% of the film

The anti-life equation is more of a sequel hook. It gives Steppenwolf's boss, who's more powerful, a reason to come to earth in a future film and makes Steppenwolf a bit more motivated.

If you genuinely struggled to put this together, movies might not be for you.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't think it's necessary to insult this dude but I do question if people were actually watching the movie and not kind of half watching it while fiddling with their phone. I simply do not get how somebody could think that Steppenwolf was Ares without just tuning out huge sections of the film.

I wasn't. I was insulting the definitely real person they watched it with who somehow thought the primary villain was actually unrelated character transformed by a process that's never even hinted at on screen.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Jessica Jones is a great five hour show that takes ten hours to watch. Luke Cage and The Punisher are the same.

Daredevil was a bit better paced in the first season.

Daredevil season 1 had three or four episodes that were mostly flashbacks while nothing happened in the present. It was absolutely way too loving long.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Ray Fisher is a drat good looking man. :swoon:

He also got insanely jacked to play a character you basically never see without CGI. I really hope he goes places.

My wife pointed out that his theatre background was probably a massive boon playing a mostly CGI character. You get used to using very expressive body language, telling a story with gestures that the back row needs to see. You get used to acting with nothing there but what your mind can create. How he moves as Cyborg is actually really distinct and expressive, telling you a lot about his journey, even when he's standing still. Acting through CGI or make up or masks or whatever is always super impressive to me.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I was really struck by the physicality of his performance. I felt like some of the movements were slightly unsteady, but he definitely felt rooted and like he Took Up Space with the heft of his body.

Iono if some of the unsteadyness was to communicate his disability, but it was very engaging.

I liked the idea that he was perfectly able to use the body, but wasn't comfortable with it. The awkwardness and unsteadiness tended to be linked to being overwhelmed emotionally.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

If Kryptonians are mass produced through artificial reproduction in Man of Steel why would it matter what ethnicity Jor El's father is?

They aren't related by blood they're all mass produced - Kal El is the first natural birth in centuries.

Even ignoring the Zod stuff the argument doesn't hold.

Pretty sure the answer is racism.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Gal gadot is a gina carano level actress, god drat she's terrible

Nah. Gadot's a very solid non verbal actress and is good at playing off people in a natural way. What she loving struggles with, really badly, is big lines of dialogue, and she keeps ending up in films that insist on giving her a lot of them.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, right - but that's the thing: the execs liked the part where Superman kills the Nairomian warlord, but Terrio had to push for the later scenes where they reveal that this action destabilized the entire country and caused further bloodshed. As Terrio says, it's the latter part that was "getting too political". They were only okay with a certain type of 'controversial'.

it's simple: actions are apolitical, consequences are not. It's why the country Iron Man shoots up in the first movie is literally never mentioned or even hinted at again.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My favourite 'the snydercut didn't exist' take was one i encountered recently, someone who thought he must have done a lot of reshoots because the finished film is four hours, and WB only approved a two hour film at the time. He seemed genuinely under the impression that a two hour film only has two hours worth of footage shot.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Kingdom of Heaven for sure. Poor Ridley lol.

Even then it's not the dramatic shift in quality of literally every aspect.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Lol, yet another occasion of Snyder out-nerding comic book "nerds" only for them to then screech in confusion and criticize the scene for being absurd/nonsensical, based on some reviews I've come across.

Yep. I especially love the takes where people speculate that probably Snyder's cut is as good as it is because Snyder had 4 years to go over feedback and critiques of Josstice League and then incorporate those suggestions to fix the bad bits before releasing his version.

I've seen that as well. The thing is, if Snyder could look at film that has literally no strong or good points and somehow actually extrapolate an entire, new, much better film, that's a solid case for him being a genius.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Darko posted:

I'm straight kinda more on the a spectrum, and even still immediately saw it as love you weren't allowed to have. Makes me seriously question supposedly completely straight guys.

It's a recurring theme for Ang Lee. People who love each other unable to do so or act on it due to circumstances beyond their control. I hope Ang Lee is okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ang Lee was a full time stay at home dad until he was 37.

Hes still married and probably pretty stoked where his lifes current at.

Oh good. That actually relieves me enormously.

Ang Lee makes cool movies and also spends a lot of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon's commentary track doing weird impressions, which was unexpected.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

His life story is my go to for people who are really stressed they havent found success.

He made an award winning thesis film at NYU and was signed to WMA immediately. Every film students dream.

Then they didnt give him any gigs and he was unemployed for 6 years while taking care of his kids while his wife worked. He never let his dreams die and kept writing and then finally got a screenplay infront of some production companies and the rest is history.

Never give up! Ang Lee didnt!

Hell Zack didnt direct his first feature until he was 38! He was doing commercials and music videos but its still a nice inspirational fact.

My favourite part of Ang Lee's career was, after the success of Crouching Tiger, all his older films, which were mostly really good but very quiet family dramas, getting new DVD releases with covers that did their absolute best to make them look like kung fu films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think it's that ridiculous. The worst Marvel movies are just bland and boring rather than outright bad.

This is true of the best ones too, though. This is the issue. They're all fine. There's not a bad one, and there's not a truly great one.

Necrothatcher posted:

I loving hated the theatrical BvS and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the Ultimate Ed, but it completely turned me around on it.

Turns out knowing why characters are doing stuff makes films better.

I liked that it placed the viewer so squarely in batman's shoes, that it made Superman opaque and thus terrifying to him, but I also get why only the ultimate edition works for others.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

This is my problem with 90% of everything now. I'm almost half way done living, and I don't have time for just "eh it's fine" now. I don't want to go to my grave regretting that I didn't keep up on the MCU or the Star Wars or whatever.

You'll be pleased to know that at least one of the new Star Wars things is straight up bad.

I've decided that I no longer rate films on whether they're good or bad, but on whether they're interesting. It's done me a lot of good.

Bongo Bill posted:

MCU movies come across a lot better if you approach it from the perspective that the narrative and thematic content of a movie is irrelevant, and rather what matters is the appearance of the cast, the costumes used, and the extravagance of the visual effects. That is to say, if you think about it like a studio executive.

They look like poo poo, rush the CGI artists and actively hide how good the costumes look.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

These statements do not contradict each other.

Fair enough. It just keeps amazing me that these spectacle event movies are pretty loving bad at spectacle.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

SHIELD carriers doing a 9/11 was pretty fun to see.

It was something that should have been spectacular as gently caress. Instead it was grey blobs slowly turning into orange blobs. A lot of the MCU's spectacle is that what is being depicted is exciting on paper. The actual depiction tends to be really dull. It lends itself to water cooler conversations, though.

"And then the flying aircraft carriers start shooting each other and exploding"
"Wow, sounds exciting."

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

If you're going to do drive by shitposts can you please be better at it?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

I wouldn't say they spent a decade building up to "that's America's rear end" but I'll grant that it's the best line of dialogue in the MCU

Wait, that's actually a line in the film? I assumed it was just a meme.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

That was a bad scene, but the magic duel was so much worse. God that scene was irritating. Two powerful beings able to command reality and they just throw projectiles at each other like ken and ryu spamming fireballs.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman's big brain strategy for the magic material from beyond the stars is to put it on a stick and inside a grenade launcher and hope he doesn't miss the guy who can fly faster than jets

They're not very smart characters

And also create a circumstance under which the very fast guy isn't moving very fast, giving him a clean shot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Two specific examples that I remember:

1. When the Amazons are trying to keep their box away from Steppenwolf. They hop on horses and take off running to... where, exactly? That entire scene seems to exist to be an exciting chase sequence, but there's not really any clear goal they're trying to reach. There's no identified sanctuary or next step in the process, they're just running away until they get stopped.

2. When the League is planning its attack on Steppenwolf's pleasure dome, I think it's Flash that says something like "oh yeah, it's a crazy plan, but they're not expecting to be attacked, so it might work". When the whole point of building a fortress is that you expect to be attacked, otherwise why would they even bother?

I'm sure there are more, but like I said, it was either turn off my brain or the movie. It's not the worst quality for an action movie and Snyder is certainly not alone in that regard, but there's a certain degree of... I guess "thoughtlessness" that pervades a lot of the script. In the sense that nobody put a lot of thought into whether something actually makes sense, as long as it looks loving cool.

1. The Amazonian army arrives at the end of the scene, coming from the direction they were taking the mother box in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

josh04 posted:

For fun, this is exactly how Russell T Davies says he writes - big images first, plot between the gaps.

It's also how North by Northwest was written, actually. Hitchcock came up with the UN scene and the Rushmore scene and got his screenwriter to write the movie around them.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No, that's exactly my point, they're fun as long as you enjoy the spectacle and don't think too hard about it.

But as soon as we thought about it, we came up with the answer. In fact, if you watch the scene to the end, you get the answer. You picked two very weird examples to make this point.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

This I don't get because doesnt that mean Darkseid then returned to Earth at some point?

it happened in the spirit or psychic realm or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

If the Snyderverse movies were somehow still happening (I know they're not) they should never have the evil Superman future actually happen in them. Just keep it as these potential worst possible outcome snippets that they avert throughout the flicks.

This was sort of the idea behind the comic "Hunter Killer." A character knew a terrible future was coming, and all his efforts to stop it just changd the nature and the date of what happened.

Then, at the end (the only TPB ended on a cliffhanger and killed my interest in buying comics so I don't mind spoiling it) it turned out the person warning them was guiding them towards a much worse future.

bushisms.txt posted:

You have to watch Midnight Special for the true objectivist Pa Kent take.

Man, Midnight Special was great.

Xealot posted:

His response is pretty consistent with what I assumed of his politics, which is that regardless of how people read his films, he's a pretty standard centrist liberal. I don't think there's much about, like, The Fountainhead that's inherently inconsistent with that worldview if that's what you want out of it. He's still a capitalist and an individualist, but not a literal fascist.

It's really the accusation that he's a misogynist that I find most galling at the moment. Say what you will about the male gaze or what's problematic about Sucker Punch, but of the two men who directed Justice League, one is very well-regarded by the female cast and crew and the other - once a darling of liberal feminism - has finally been outed as an abusive sex pest.

Sucker Punch was the thing that made me realise online film discourse is broken, when someone on twitter conceded that, just maybe, Sucker Punch was trying to say something, but that was the product of...well, it wasn't clear who or what, but it wasn't Snyder

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 21, 2021