Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Pirate Jet posted:

If fun is stuff like Wonder Woman 1984 I hope this film is the least fun I’ve ever had in my life.

Joss Whedon's Justice League was fun and in color and Superman CG smiled in it and look how that turned out. Batman made jokes and Martha Kent said Lois Lane was the thirstiest reporter Clark ever knew. So much fun and crack wise. It was exactly what such people wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Roman posted:

it's amazing how they took something that would at least appeal to Snyder fans and made it into something for absolutely nobody

Whedon's Justice League and Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker is exactly what the people who complain asked for. They were given exactly what they wanted. Turns out not only do they not really understand themselves, their fanboy subject, any aspect of creative film-making/writing, and just exist to bond with each other in hate. So I don't know why anyone listens to them since they clearly don't like what they ask for.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
400 years from now when the Earth is an apocalyptic wasteland from the ravages of climate change the remnants of man will gather in the ruins of the last museum on earth, a Costco, and hoist into the air a Blu Ray DVD of Justice League: The Snyder-Cut and declare it to be the zenith of art. As it hovers in the air, transcendent as if from on high and light beaming behind it, beneath it is a pit as if from hell where cries of the damned yell "RANDIAN!" "SNYDER-BRO!" "WHY CAN'T YOU BE IN COLOR!" and arms of MCU heroes are stretched out from the pit exclaiming "SAVE US FROM DISNEY AND THE FANBOYS!" and the Snyder-Cut Blu Ray whispers back "No."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

It sounds like Watchmen's the zenith there

lol, right.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

KVeezy3 posted:

Comic-book superheroes are largely structured to be a certain way, that is - extremely insular (Detached from history/culture), and petrified of taking risks/tackling big ideas, which results in deeply conservative works, both creatively and politically. But this extends far beyond just superhero fiction, to what I think is the reason for a lot of bad genre fiction as well as contemporary U.S. literature (U.S. authors even say they’re proud that their fiction is about nothing, as a way to proudly emphasize their dedication to pure craft and the aesthetics of language).

But as you’ve said, Watchmen & The Dark Knight Returns were watershed moments for the comic book genre, because it presented genuine new possibilities for the form by shedding the insularity of its past in a turning to the world. The problem is that the comic book industry used the new spotlight to exploit the ‘serious’ and ‘adult’ aspects purged entirely of their social/political content, and so the traumatic opening created by Moore and Miler was closed up and the extant history is used to justify its own continuance: superhero fiction has always been this way, so it can’t be any other way and compelling stories can’t be told otherwise. But there’s no such thing as inevitable forward progress.

Superman previously destroyed slums to force the U.S. government to improve the material conditions of the underclass. Where did this guy go? Sure, it's kind of dumb, but when was the last time a superhero did anything as interesting as this?

Brawleh is right that the real contention about Snyder is politics & ideology, since the typical complaints about his DC work is beloved in other superhero films and even the most ardent critics admit that his films are well designed. Nerds are cool with the TDK Joker killing a bunch of people, but committed to Batman killing none [b]is[/i] political. People deride his films for being CGI-fests, but the Avengers films, particularly the latter ones, are far more egregious.

As a genre filmmaker, Snyder not only isn’t afraid to touch sacred cows, but often finds that that’s the most creatively interesting thing to do (Hence Zod’s snapped neck). What makes him not simply a contrarian or nihilist, in the vein of Brightburn (2019) or Super (2010), is his commitment to following through as honestly as he can. Post-Watchmen, he doesn’t think there is a ‘going back’ to a world where Raimi’s Spider-Man 2 is considered the platonic ideal of comic book filmmaking, and in the process wants to redeem the mistake of the comic book industry in the realm of studio blockbuster filmmaking.

Of course, you can say that Snyder is failing to do it well, but I disagree that it’s not worth trying in the first place because of tradition.

Certainly, the death of Batman’s parents has been a staple of every Batman film, but we should recognize how Snyder does it differently and how dependent the entire structure of the film is on that opening. “Martha” memes aside, the theme of parental figures permeates the film. While Batman is having nightmares about his parents and his mother being a monstrous vampire, Superman is able to turn to his mother and (The idea of) his father to find a calm island in times of crisis. The film makes Lex Luthor into a Jr., and although Luthor Sr. is long gone, his presence remains an ominous specter over the film.

Robin’s murder is an important event, but far more crucial to Batman’s descent is Snyder’s critique of Batman’s entire vigilante career. Clark investigates Batman and is deeply troubled that he’s mostly targeting the underclass with the consent of the police (An investigation that his boss doesn’t want him to do in lieu of puff pieces, the film’s critique of private news media under contemporary capitalism). Batman reflects on the fact that he hasn’t been able to cause real change, that “Criminals are like weeds” - the trauma of losing his parents to street level crime has him blinded to a structural analysis, which he comes face to face with at the end of BvS when the justice system lets Lex Luthor off free.

This is great stuff. Thank you.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don’t get the complains on the CG. I think it looks good and projects power and character.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I admit I do want to see Darkeid show up on Aquaman’s couch with a magnificent grin on his face and face Jason Momoa play off it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MacheteZombie posted:

I like his armor design but I don't think DS really pops in that still image the way I'd like him too.

This I’ll agree with. It’s not popping or dynamic like something Kirby inspired would do.

If I had to make an excuse it’s like his costuming absorbs the light line a black hole

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

It looks like the idea is to give Apokolips itself a consistent design - super stark black and orange accented with silver, so dark that even the light is sickly and frail, visually connecting to the Knightmare sequence and carrying that palette to its farthest extreme. I'm not expecting Darkseid and his inner circle to have a large role, aside from Steppenwolf, who's the urgent invading threat.

I swear there’s an effect of a hellish color scheme where even the orange light is squashed/consumed by the darkness and bleakness of it.

Edit: no I’m wrong, one can see light reflected on the path Darkseid is walking on

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

McCloud posted:

It's hilarious that the execs were sure they had a super hit on their hands after the Whedon changes and we're shocked when it blew up in their faces.

Whedon did Avengers. Ergo proxy victor tango foxtrot same success. They also thought they were meeting all the complaints people had. You have to think like a business person.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is really good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would be good with a Keenan Jon Stewart GL too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Thompson or Waynes?

Both would be fine by me

Thompson. He can be the straight man to Jack Black’s Guy Gardner GL.

Now we just need someone to be Kyle Rayner GL...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am quite hype

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Thank you, this was good

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mr. Apollo posted:

I wonder how all the stars of JL feel about the positive reviews.

Remember those Press Junkets where Ben Affleck had darkness over come him? And then he turned alcoholic? Maybe this will heal those wounds.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Lol. I would have loved seeing pre-viz animatics using the explosion sound effects Snyder was making during his MoS/BvS commentaries.

Release the Zack Workprint Cut

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am planning my week for Friday Night to watch this movie. I need to figure out what food and drink goes with this movie.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

If a Suicide Squad Ayer cut comes out complete with Steppenwolf, motherboxes, and parademons, I will take a 1 month probation. :toxx:

I'm down.

Dude why

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

Why to the Ayer cut probe? Or why to the Snyder Goku reboot? Lmao.

The probe man. You’re a good poster don’t do this!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Aquaman was not good and I don’t understand the sincerity comments. Shazam had some sparks on the family aspect but was lame overall. WW1 had something going for it until the 3rd act and WW2 blew chunks. Endgame is disposable entertainment but it was fun at the time with audience experience so it has redeeming value and then it can continue to be forgotten 5 seconds later like the entire MCU.

These are my opinions. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Speaking of which someone convince Scorsese to do a cape flick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have a whole plan to watch this movie tomorrow but the self control needed to not do this now is great

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That was really great. I give it a B+ overall. Even my parents of all people watched the whole thing, liked it, had good things to say and they’re not really into movies too much.

Grateful Zack got to make his movie and I got to see it. 4 hours was right to let things breathe and develop.

I won’t mind if there’s a dump truck of money to make a sequel but also won’t mind if they go in a different direction. On one end this was a success and I hope many see it too.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Gal Gadot is a completely different actress and WW under Snyder’s direction compared to her own movie series. He knows how to pull a good performance from her.

I loved Harry Lennix as Martian Manhunter and Ryan Choi The Atom

Cyborg was a definite standout and everything just gelled together and worked. I also appreciate how key Lois is to everything.

I liked the theme of family, fathers and mothers, and I suppose it ties into what Zack was going through himself. It brought humanity into everything.

This is a legitimate film and not disposable blockbuster flick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Shageletic posted:

I was still wincing. She's not a good actress.

Well yeah ok that is true but I liked her here

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Adrian Palicki Wonder Woman was a David E Kelley joint

Single female superhero dramedy

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
This has probably been said but General Swanick and Lois resolved to clear Superman and investigate together in BvS. He has worked with her and respects her and understands her value. His dialog is to get her to move on, heal and return to work because she hasn’t. The world needs Lois Lane to do what she does because it helps.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Lex: i can control Superman by using Martha

Superman: i can get Batman to relate to my humanity by mentioning Martha

Martian Manhunter: oh okay i see how this works

Lmao exactly. Martha should be the key to combat the anti life equation

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perry: “I had to fake Clark’s death so he could do some investigation at the behest of General Swanick.”
MM as General: “Uh yeah. Clark was totally on a top secret mission for me...Superman what now?”

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The next X-Men movie should have an X aspect ratio and all movement should be contained within it.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Asteroid Alert posted:

This film looks absolutely beautiful on a CRT.

Dude....did you keep one over this long or do they still make them? I don't even know nowdays.

I imagine the whole dark-light/contrast would work well. I should get an OLED.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, that'd be a really good take. Retail work as a life without hope. Consumerist mediocrity as hell.

They should have done a deal with Waffle House or IHOP to stamp an imprint of the anti life equation on every pancake they serve

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Retrowave Joe posted:

It'd have to be IHOP because Waffle House is Life.

There are some professionals who use Waffle House as an indicator of economy or quality of life where if they shut down or close for prolonged periods you know poo poo got real.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

As cited earlier, warhammer fans lean into it.

From what media I’ve consumed of Warhammer, I dare say their fans have a sense of humor about the whole thing, aren’t fooled and know what it is they’re dealing with in subject matter and don’t take it personal level serious.

But I could be wrong

“If the Emperor had a text to speech device” is one of the best comedies on YouTube

Gatts fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 22, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There should be no complaint on 4 hour run time when people are eating up full season runs on Netflix and binge watching is a thing.

Neener neener so there

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Does anyone even use that as an argument against other creators or film makers? “David Fincher is a psychopath because...” William Shakespeare is a psychopath because he doesn’t care about misc characters he wrote and serve story purpose and who the gently caress writes in sonnets and poo poo?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

I don't think some of you realize how op Martian Manhunter is.

Most of the powers of Superman:
Flight
Invulnerability
Super Strength
"Martian Vision"(more like Cyclops beams than heat)
Survive in space

Also:
Shape Shifting
Density control(walk through walls or become super hard)
Professor X Level telepathy

Only major downside is his weakness is very common and easy to access: Fire

Yeah he’s basically Superman Plus. Just don’t let him get over his fear of fire lmao.

You could really branch him off though. Have a mini JL movie versus White Martians and then the Burning Martian.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

After like 8 years I still don't know what makes people so angry about Snyder.

On one level it’s that he touched sacred cows that people put up there like religion and it didn’t match their interpretation this this blasphemy against gospel discomforts them and on the other hand I think it’s a human trait in a lot of people to bond/gel together at ragging on a target which I feel a lot of current criticism is. Join together in ostracism of someone.

As stated, comic books to some is a mythology akin to religion and these are modern Gods of sort and a lot of hate is stuff is baggage someone brings into it rather than engaging it like a piece of art to understand, study, develop, learn from etc.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Ang Lee did great homework for his Hulk movie and that was not well regarded and made fun of. It was a legit film that explored the Hulk and Ang showed he read Hulks history and whatnot but wasn’t given respect and yet is one of the better cape movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Blood Boils posted:

Hilariously Ang Lee is the only one who actually thought about giving this character a backstory that would explain rage issues.

At least in movies, I dunno if Banner has an abusive father in comics

He does. That’s why I said Ang Lee did his homework. It’s a very memorable Peter David story that Ang interpreted to the big screen where Banner can’t control his warring Hulks and we dive into his mind and see that history at the root of it all. Especially since that is what gets Banner and his Grey and Green Hulk personas to declare a truce of sorts, acceptance and then results in the merged Hulk which is considered one of the best runs of the character. Banner’s intelligence, Grey Hulk’s attitude, and Green Hulk’s body. When we see Banner Hulk in Endgame it’s basically the result of him making peace with his issues and it’s ultra poo poo the MCU didn’t bother giving us this.