Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The film has leaked into private torrent sites, and people think it's a fake because of the aspect ratio lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I liked that the Atlateans and Amazons built containment temples for their motherboxes with people standing guard for millennia, while the Dudes just buried theirs in a shallow grave in the woods.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

doomisland posted:

And whose mother box was stolen last? :smug:

Theirs! Cause the nazis found it first :v:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

smug n stuff posted:

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm looking for input from people who have, obviously: lots of people are referring to the Lighthouse's aspect ratio to say that it isn't unusual to have 4:3 (which is correct). But the Lighthouse is a far different movie from what I assume JL is trying to be - I felt like the aspect ratio in Lighthouse emphasized the claustrophobia and general cramped feeling of the film - everything felt very tight. But I would imagine that claustrophobia isn't exactly what you want to evoke in an action epic - it seems like you'd want more space. Can someone who's seen the movie describe how the aspect ratio affects the feeling of ZSJL, for better or worse? I'm not looking for whether it's "allowed" or whatever, lol, just whether it adds to the experience or what.

e: Grand budapest has also been mentioned: also a very, very different kind of movie!

It's a film about Gods, the vertical orientation gives the the feeling of the characters towering and being beyond you.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Imagine you filled in a little bit of the black on either side of each of these images.

I don't know about you but seeing a little more to the left and right doesn't mean that a character doesn't "tower over you" that's more about framing and lenses.

I don't need to imagine

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/1372642039070912527?s=20

The wider and closer frame of Whedon may make her look big, but it's on the Snyder frame where WW actually feels more imposing in the frame.

(lmao that Whedon shot looks pure poo poo)

Aspect ratio is the framing. It's not about black bars to the side or the top, or seeing more to the left/right. An image in 4:3 is different from 16:9 or 21:9. Snyder did ratio proof the film, that's unofficially documented via a bunch of interviews with Snyder and the DP Fabian Wagner, meaning that in shooting he did have the 4:3 or something similar in mind, while probably knowing at the time WB probably wouldn't let him have final cut with that ratio so he proofed it so that it would look capable in wide.

In the end he picked the 4:3 for his final cut because he felt that it was the one that accurately told the mythic story of these characters the best. It is a genuine artistic choice being made here. And that very deliberate choice gives the film a whole different feeling and meaning.

If you go with wide you lose that head space and gain a bunch of empty space by the sides, if you try to preserve that head space in wide then you make aquaman look tiny.

This shot of aquaman repeats through out the film.

There's a lot of shots of our heroes and villains looking down on people and people looking up on them.

The gist of the Synder Cut is that you need a tall frame to be able to capture these imposing beings.

Like the Aquaman shot, a wider frame you get more football field, but lose that vertical space which is what makes Stone look imposing, if you try to preserve it in a wide, you'll make him look small.

I'm not really on the Synder train, but I get the choice here and I think it does work, for the most part. I'm sure someone like teagone that probably already knows this film backwards and forwards can find more examples of that Aquaman shot, and of our Gods and Demons characters overpowering mortals and lesser beings.

I will say that this framing willlook 100% better on a big screen, like a film theater, where thanks to to the huge screen the characters are really looking down on you.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Martman posted:

I chose to believe that in that first attack they were actually relying on the motherboxes for every aspect of the navigation and stuff. So losing them unexpectedly they like, didn't even have a way to save that kind of data maybe?

DeSaad:"My master without the motherboxes how will you retrieve your great prize?"
Darkseid: "The anti-life equation has been found, and we will stop at nothing to possess it. Ready the armada. We'll use the old ways."

Presumably the old ways means using a map and a compass to slowly trek your way across space and time. With the motherboxes he is able to travel between worlds faster, then use The Unity to merge conquering worlds into Darkseid worlds, where his real army of space monsters await.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The Age of Heroes flashback plays out like the Lord of the Rings prologue, and so does the rest of the film.

A grand alliance of Elves/Gods and Men/Men come together to defeat Sauron/Darkseid whom loses the fight as he underestimated those he believed to be beneath him. Sauron/Darkseid loses his source of true power the One Ring/Motherboxes.

Thousands of years later the One Ring/Motherboxes wake up and begins calling out for their master who sends out the Nazgul/Steppenwolf to retrieve them so Sauron/Darkseid can be made whole again/merge his world with Earth. To stop Sauron/Darkseid a fellowship/justice league is formed to destroy the One Ring/Motherboxes and save Middle Earth/Earth.