Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

joylessdivision posted:

It's like every other James Wan movie I've seen, we'll made, good effects and some cool moments and I can't remember poo poo about it a week an a half later.

Black Manta and Ocean Master both looked cool though. Also Willem Defoe had a weird top knot I think?

I'm sad Amber Heard is an abusive rear end in a top hat because... well because it sucks when people are abusive assholes. But also because I thought she and Momoa had good chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's a good point.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing while watching her in that and the CBS Stand adaptation from last year (which broadly was good, but casting her as Nadine was a mistake). I actually really enjoyed Momoa as Aquaman and Wan embracing the comics as hell Ocean Master outfit ruled.

And that horror bit on the boat was pretty awesome too and I kinda wish there had been more of that.

I remember rumors about a spin-off featuring the Trench guys, I wonder if that ever was more than a rumor. This is such a fantastic and terrifying image:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

The characters may not have been asking "where is the drum playing octopus" when it wasn't on screen, but I sure as hell was

Sad news, the drum playing octopus died in the battle scene at the end, same as a hundred thousand crab people that made up a whole kingdom that was important enough to conquer but not important enough to care about after My Friend Cthulhu showed up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

I like how people in the comments are worried that so many people with hate watch it that WB might think it was a success.

People got to keep themselves occupied because their lives are boring as poo poo, and discussing tactics for your culture war is a great alternative to playing Risk.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Is this someone noteworthy? If not, I'd rather people not bring the Michaels of Twitter here. There is a reason I'm not on Twitter.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

What's the culture war equivalent of fortifying Australia

Attacking Zack Snyder, duh.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the opposite of fortification!

Attack is the best defence. Now excuse me, I have to move all my pawns in this here chess game foward at once yelling Aaargh!

And yeah, I guess pointing and laughing at Twitter is fine if there is little else to talk about. I guess I just feel a little exhausted from pointing and laughing at Eugene so much.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

But Batman kills more people in it?

He doesn't kill them. He just doesn't save them. From his fists and machine guns.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

DanteDevils posted:

Could it be they’re both bad films?

lol Snyder threads never fail with the hot takes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

2house2fly posted:

He probably went to the nearest public place and said to someone, "Google Bruce Wayne, that's me, help me get to the airport and ill give you a million bucks"

Then that person tried to take him hostage, Bruce overwhelmed him non-lethally with his Kung Fu, and inadvertently became the leader of a gang of human traffickers which he quickly lead into a war with a rival gang until only Bruce was left. And then Bruce went home.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wonder Woman teaser. It's interesting to see that Diana is now wearing a black outfit at the Temple of the Amazons. Instead of the white outfit from earlier previews. Also, I wonder who she's talking to when she says "Show him your fear." and the crowd responds with "We have no fear"

Is that really WW? I thought that was from when Steppenwolf attacks the Amazonian temple and they try to stop him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

oh sorry. i forgot most of alita anyway but it was pretty mediocre

Working hard to put your review of JL into context here.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wont be able to see it for another few days, but I wonder: Will watching the Snyder Cut allow later viewings of the Whedon Cut and maybe take it as some sort of spoof movie? Or does the Snyder Cut just completely obliterate the theatrical?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Managed to watch the first half and feel that one thing needs to be pointed out, something that probably fell by the wayside because it was discussed during the release of first images of the Snydercut: lol the horses.

The raid of the Amazonian temple already was the one good action scene in the Whedon cut, but the Snyder cut managed to improve on it a lot. And introducing Steppenwolf by having him tackle, bodyslam and generally manhandle a bunch of horsies was fantastic and made him look terrifying.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

the parademons are pretty stupid in both, they're even less explained in the ZS one
the fear thing is so batman can wheeze "they smell... FEAR" at the end. i was looking forward to seeing the snydercut vrsion of that with gore but steppes death was cool anyway the poor bastard

i forgot it was originally steppe getting driven back not darkseid, that makes much more sense imo and explains why he is disgraced.
the ZS version makes darkseid into a loser who got chumped by a wooden arrow and then forgot what planet he was on and convulutes things further with the anti-life equation

Isn't it Athena shooting Darkseid? With those long-rear end iron arrows the Amazons use to call Diana?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Miching Mallecho posted:

But Whedon didn't cut his favorite scene though.
Look at it and despair.

Someone find the Renaissance painting this is based on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

I referenced that quote because itís advice Snyder should take, and the source is relevant in that theyíve both directed comic book movies, including the same film.

Like take out almost all of the Amazon stuff and it doesnít change the movie at all, and Iíd say it would improve it since it dragged like hell and looked bad to boot. Iím not saying thatís his favorite scene, just an example of something thatís both too long and irrelevant.

In the future Iíll stick to Vonnegut saying to start stories as close to the end as possible.

The Amazon stuff looks great, though? It also serves to introduce and show off Steppenwolf, he gets to wreck horses and it's great.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

NGL I teared up when the blue space man died and all his friends showed up to his funeral.

Same, no shame. And I'm gonna do it again.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Raged posted:

I can't honestly tell which version is worse. I'm drat near falling asleep.

I have the same feeling I did when I read an Ann Rice novel for the first time. This movie needs an editor to cut out the crap.

Sorry to hear about your low level of excitability. If you read an Ann Rice novel without imagining Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt mud wrestling in a candle-lit gothic mansion, I'm afraid there is just no helping you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crespolini posted:

It's been a long time since I read Interview with the Vampire, but I don't remember it as particularly bloated? Tbf I am mostly imagining the film probably.

Yeah Interview... is pretty lean, but to be fair, there are many other Ann Rice novels that absolutely are bloated. Stupidly, sexily bloated.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

No, that's Pa Kent.

I'm in awe of people like Raged who decided that they'd spend four hours watching a film that they were just going to hate anyway. These are also the same people who call Flash a "creep" for saving a woman (???) and think that he uses his powers to be "autistic." (?????)

It's really, really weird.

I fondly remember the poster who complained about never getting those four hours back and later claiming they only watched the movie because their wife dragged them into it, in a country where the movie wasn't available at the time.

The bad faith is strong in some people.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

They will never specify what artistic purpose it served though.

Just, y'know... *waves one hand in the air* Just general artistry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Justice League: Snyderer Cut

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm surprised Joss doesn't have a YouTube channel

Dude is much too thin-skinned, he would quit in a huff after reading five comments.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, how it skips over the entire plot of Aquaman 1 and just says “yeah, he died.”

Ah, Lucas helped with the script.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

why does that person have an arm growing out of their butt

So they can better catch the poop, duh.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

AccountSupervisor posted:

Breaking News! Director had imperfect idea once!

Imagine if we publicized every single spitball or rough idea every director and writer had lol

I'm sure there are whole sections of the Internet powered solely by anectdotes about George Lucas saying "Darth Icky".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The movie cuts away a few times with cards reading "Meanwhile, in Ethiopia..."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

josh04 posted:

K Waste-style cut where only the classic Superman suit is in colour.

Go into the opposite direction, re-color every character with MSPaint.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I bet the reason is that Whedon considers triangles to be phallic and circles to be yonic. It's the kind of superficial symbolism that would be on brand for Whedon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Bisse posted:

W-wait, people here like Batman v Superman? Like, for real?

Wait? I can't wait, I have to re-watch Batman v Superman, right now!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm guessing they don't care too much but they're going to ride the wave and see who they can get to buy the 4k release of that

WB Asylum-ing their own product.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

so what, between 1970 and 1980, shaw studios put out 280+ kung fu films that are literally all better than the mcu films.

But, have they been able to create as delicate a network as the one that links Ant-Man 1: Ant-Man to Spider-Man 2: Far from Home?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

KVeezy3 posted:

Let's get back to the meat of the topic: that the MCU is in the midst of a film world-historical run (on the aggregate).

We know it's monumentally successful financially, but what notable ideas has it contributed to superhero stories through the medium of film? What will its legacy be?

"Don't try to copy this, it only worked this once and we don't really know how, either."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

You might want to wear this protective suit, you’re gonna need it...

Very sly to call that straightjacket a protective suit.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Its Chocolate posted:

is there a Marvel movei that's not about this

Thor 3, I guess.

Oh never mind, here comes Thanos.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SHIELD carriers doing a 9/11 was pretty fun to see.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

You know that I can't

This was THE opportunity to post the "No I don't think I will" thing, you screwed up twice in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman's big brain strategy for the magic material from beyond the stars is to put it on a stick and inside a grenade launcher and hope he doesn't miss the guy who can fly faster than jets

They're not very smart characters

Did you miss the part where Batman set up the fight specifically to have those things work out for him?

Oh wait it's you, you're just going to answer "Yes I did because the movie sucks." Never mind.