Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

If fun is stuff like Wonder Woman 1984 I hope this film is the least fun I’ve ever had in my life.

Same

I could also do without our hero hilariously fumbling through a school shooting using an orbital drone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

teagone posted:

You forgot sexual abuse, misogyny, and just abhorrently toxic behavior in general.

That Snyder just made some movies a person doesn't like shouldn't immediately have them draw comparisons to some of the worst loving people to exist. Something is broken if that happens imo, and is worth pursuing self-reflection if whoever finds themselves having that sort of immediate reaction because gently caress dude, lol.

[Edit] I know people want to justify their opinions, but drat, don't do it by immediately associating people who disagree with actual really, really lovely individuals who should be fired into the sun. Be better.

100% agreed, that post was disgusting

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Definitely buying this on UHD disc

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I love Zaphod Kramering in here with a bunch of half-cocked, obviously-never-looked-at-this-for-a-second nonsense and now the entire thread has to be correcting him as he gets increasingly high strung

Like, you have to really be *trying* to not know poo poo about any of this if you don’t know what went on with Ray Fisher by now. It goes beyond this movie. It has to be trolling, and if it is, it’s really gross to do it with a victim of racism

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh don’t worry my post was a joke

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

No, most people don't know

Most people who follow the industry enough to frequent movie message boards behind a $10 paywall*

Don’t worry though, the post was a joke

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ray Fisher’s story goes way, way beyond a new cut of a movie and you should probably google it for five minutes before shooting off at the hip about what he does and doesn’t want released.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's ok, I chuckled at the idea that you're a racist if you don't follow the comic book men close enough to know the behind the scenes

Seriously though, don't expect anyone to actually know any of that

I didn’t say that

Edit: \/ turns out he did know lol

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 15, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

He had his own cut that had never been touched by whedon and worked exclusively from that

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Lmfao

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not sure if you care about comic takes on anti-life, but YUP...

Kirby is able to illustrate how easily Fascism and Capitalism compliment each other in like four corny rear end comic panels. It's his magic.

I really would recommend reading Kirby's DC stuff. It's definitely of its time, but the guy had a definite sense of how weird the future was going to be. There is a Forever People issue where Darkseid has an amusement park in which her torments the heroes in bizarre death traps. But it's not like some Scooby Doo run down amusement park. It's just like Disney Land. There are people there, and the heroes are clearly displayed. But his amusement park traps people in their ignorance. They cannot see any of the horrors, only their own consumption. Darkseid freely walks around the park and nobody notices him except a kid who is pure of heart, but Darkseid laughs about it because the kid has no power and Darkseid is a dick. And that issue might be like the most concise parable for modern society I have ever read.

What issue is this? I want to read it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The MCU team up movies throw most of the characters’ standalone movie characterization in the garbage can so I don’t know why people are so obsessed with having standalone movies before team up movies

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

His face, notably, wasn't armored. I'm not doing an "if I was in a fight, I would simply aim at my enemy's weak spot" thing here, but you can't tell me that you can't imagine a fight scene in which between three to five League members wear Steppenwolf down and the final blow is like, Cyborg is holding down one of his arms, Aquaman is holding down his other arm, Flash has moments ago paralyzed him with an electric shock, and Wonder Woman is doing Link's aerial down-A such that the tip of her sword is coming down directly between Steppenwolf's eyes. The possibility's clearly there!

Jesus Christ

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

What did Stone say about Rand? And how does it compare to what Snyder has said about her?

Snyder said she was insane and drank her own kool aid, and that his movie would be a melodrama about architecture and sex, not politics

Edit - holy poo poo this thread gained like 4 pages since i clicked it earlier lol

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 7, 2021

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

He also does not answer to anyone else, except who he permits

Doesnt that describe, like, everybody

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Right, a person answering to another person is based on an interplay between where they draw their personal line, and how much leverage the other party has over them.

No one can have leverage over superman, so the movie explores how he arrives at where his line is

Answering to the world via a televised inquiry = yes
Being pressed into service as a soldier in the US military = no
Being subjected to constant surveillance by the US military in his private time = no

Smashing a drone doesn’t make him an untethered objectivist. He drew the line there because it in no way serves a public good and is instead a power grab by a partisan ont he global stage

Timeless Appeal posted:

Nobody thinks I'm bad if I save my wife from a speeding car than a stranger for example.

Might not be so uncontroversial if you were a god

Its a huge part of BVS, can superman be the savior of all the world’s people when he still has mortal human attachments

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

How do i find this documentary? It doesnt show up in the extras but it doesnt seem to be a standalone item? Does it have a weird name?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh man what a stupid way to do that, i scrolled past it twice lol

They have like a dozen 12 second TV spots for individual characters, then this new doc, then the red carpet premiere, then it’s the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The line I think is harder to deal with is Darkseid’s “we will have to invade them in the old way.” If there are other mother boxes, shouldn’t he have them to use? And if there aren’t any other mother boxes, 1. Hasn’t be been doing “the old way” this whole time after losing them and 2. Shouldn’t steppenwolf put it all together as soon as he gets facetime’d by luthor? I get that Desaad and Darkseid are ignoring him, so they wouldn’t put it together, but steppenwolf realizing/not-realizing seems kind of arbitrary as presented.

When I was watching the movie, I thought that every planet has its own set of 3 mother boxes that give someone dominion over that specific world. I think that would be the better setup, but snyder says thats not the case.

It doesn’t really bother me though.