Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i mean, one of his movies literally shoves a giant christopher wren quote in your face at the end, as if to say 'DO YOU GET THE THEME', but apparently that's still too subtle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
our eyes are literally backwards and upside down so our brains do all the work making us able to see :v:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's the same sort of rationale as "batman v superman has the two biggest superheroes ever in it, so it should make seven bajillion dollars", but applied to the Pokemon franchise.

By that logic, I can't wait for the Hello Kitty movie to break box office records.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I find the glowing cube of mystery being called a 'tesseract' when it's clearly just a cube to be very silly, personally.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

It's very good that characters in movies don't sound like how people actually talk, because most people are at least partially completely incomprehensible when they talk unless they try very, very hard

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

film

good

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Zucc Snyder is here to suck away 4 hours of your life

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Asteroid Alert posted:

(not even a mention of the Flash's origin?)

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. The very first scene we get with him is his origin. It's a complete mini-narrative that sets up who he is, how his powers work, and what he's like. We didn't need an explanation of how he came in contact with the Speed Force for the first time or whatever.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does Diana's lasso compel honesty or literal truth-telling

"from my point of view, the jedi are evil!"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Part of why Man of Steel is such a good movie is that its 'sequel bait' consists entirely of 'there are two logos on the screen very briefly that aren't important or draw attention to themselves'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Maybe a plot hole, maybe just something I missed: why didn't Darkseid remember that the anti-life equation was on Earth? They had that flashback showing him squaring off with ancient Atlanteans and Amazons hundreds of years ago, and he pounds the ground and the symbol shows up, right? Why did Steppenwolf have to rediscover it? Didn't anyone make a note of the coordinates or whatever?

Apokolips exists in some weird parallel dimension (I imagine the Warp in Warhammer is based on a similar principle, if that comparison helps) that Darkseid teleports out of. The concept of 'coordinates' and 'physical locations' is a bit wonky when that's your preferred mode of transport.

Darkseid knows which planet the Anti-Life Equation is on, he just has no idea where that is relative to Apokolips until Steppenwolf stumbles over the planet again in the middle of conquering 150,000 worlds for him.

Also, I might be missing something, but I'm pretty sure the big symbol that shows up in the historical flashback is incomplete, and Darkseid is going 'hey this looks relevant to my interests'. But it doesn't do the full Omega symbol until the marthacubes show Steppenwolf and he does a similar ground-pound move in the vision they're showing him.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

In fairness, the similarities to Aquaman and Thor absolutely predate either of their movie appearances. It's a little bit like how Batman and Black Panther both owe obvious homage to The Phantom.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Thought the story was good, certainly made more sense than the Whedon version. But is it me or was this just a deeply unpleasant looking film. Brown on brown on gray, just ugly and dark.

a lot of the film takes place in an ugly and dark apocalyptic wasteland, so that's fair. i wouldn't say it's deeply unpleasant looking though

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Haven't seen this yet but regarding the "4 hours is too long for theaters" thing, is the movie structured in a way that would lend itself to a 2 part release Like "IT"?

It's split into a bunch of 'episodes' but it doesn't really neatly divide in half IMO

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Also I just realised that one of the reasons the movie has so much slow-mo in it is to emphasize exactly how insanely loving fast the Flash has to be to do what he does. Wonder Woman can block bullets on full-auto with her bracers and she's still frozen in place relative to him, when he's going regular-very-fast to fight Superman, not even breaking-the-universe fast

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

Desaad just constantly roasting steppenwolf and being a huge dick to him was very funny

it's very funny that he's the Evil Vizier from every fantasy series except the king is also evil so they get along just fine

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Reporting in from the Part 5 intermission point:

lol

yeah, basically

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I like that twitter cropping the WC's version of that shot significantly improves its framing

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

let the "every character in a movie needs their own origin movie" meme die. kill it if you have to.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

2house2fly posted:

What's most obvious is probably when he learns that the mother boxes can trigger a Resurrection (hence their name I guess, they can literally create life) and becomes desperate to make it happen

please refer to them by their proper name, marthacubes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, he used to post here a lot

yeah the best post ever made about man of steel is his

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Jimbot posted:

What did he say about Man of Steel?

Hbomberguy posted:

You are misinterpreting what I wrote. The military does a fine job - but their job is wrong. They arrest Superman as though he's some kind of criminal simply for existing, and they try to keep tabs on him when he clearly doesn't want anything to do with them - even though the film portrays the individuals in it as good people.

Key film image: When the fine, upstanding military fires their missiles at the World Machine - but the machine's changes to gravity cause them to rain down on innocent citizens instead. This is a visual metaphor for a system failing to serve its intended purpose, much like an oil rig catching fire and exploding or an entire planet getting blown up. Those missiles were perfectly forthright and competent missiles, probably built by upstanding men and women in a finely-tuned, properly patriotic factory, and they exploded and killed innocent people in a satisfactory manner, but the problem is they were not a method of fighting the machine that is destroying the world, because that machine encompasses them. A stupid person would say 'so what, the military's evil because it doesn't have the right kind of missiles?' gently caress no, of course not. It's making a statement. Bear in mind that hack writer could've just made the machine simply immune to human weaponry, which would have very different connotations from it warping our weapons against our own people.

Also I disagree about Zod. Zod's 'gang' follow his orders and work with him perfectly. They are like our military - doing what they are told to do. They are startlingly efficient at their jobs and willing to die for it 'a good death is it's own reward', etc. Remember when the military guy literally parrots that back at her? Do you see what the film might be saying about both respective militaries?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Reminder that "the future has taken root in the present" is a statement coming from the Kryptonian AI, which is from a twisted nightmare future planet very different from the one we see in the epilogue

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Caridean posted:

Once you find a dictionary sure, but I'm not really interested in your opinion until you have a baseline understanding of the english language

:getout: prescriptivist swine

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

the climax of JL is the flash using so much slow motion that the film goes backwards

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

he also attempts to fly zod into space, only for zod to smash into a convenient wayne industries satellite that he can use to regain leverage and send himself back down to earth

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Darkseid and Steppenwolf hitting the ground is good visual storytelling :colbert:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I think they even recycle the exact same shot both times, right?

they show a shot of steppenwolf grasping at the ground in exactly the same way as darkseid, but i believe he uses the opposite hand (though steppenwolf's weird alien hands might just be confusing me)

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

to give a slightly jokier answer: the motherboxes turn every planet they go full power on into copies of apokolips, so darkseid and all the other apokolips people are very bad at direction-finding because they live in the multiversal equivalent of one of those suburbs where every house is the same, except the houses are copies of apokolips

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Rewatching the film, as per McCloud's instructions, my new favorite thing is how - since he's technically a black criminal in Gotham - Silas is perpetually concerned that he may be assaulted by Batman at any moment.

i would have liked it if gordon or another member of the police, when discussing the reports of weird attacks (with the sketch of parademon-batman), said "it's gotham, this isn't even the craziest thing that's happened this year", as a much less on-the-nose version of alfred saying "exploding penguins :it is a batman forever reference:"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Let's be real here, if Wagner was alive today he'd be a Hollywood director, and not only due to his antisemitism

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

I wish there was as much talk about young Clark reading The Republic as there is about stupid objectivist poo poo.

Guess it's not as sexy.

I love that the films are about Clark trying to figure out the best thing he can do and all the influences that pull and push at him.

Isn't the 'joke' there that Krypton is basically The Republic, with the caste system and philosopher-kings?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When faced with a monstrous construct of control, he merely says "Not for me" instead of "Not for anyone". Whether the takeaway is supposed to be that this is the ideal Superman is another question entirely, but the movies seem pretty sympathetic to Superman's eventual ethics.

Are...are you referring to the world engine? The monstrous construct of control that he destroys because it will destroy the whole world, for everyone? Or the scout ship with the birth matrix, which will do basically the same thing, just slower? I don't understand how you can come to this conclusion

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Batman v Superman: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Batman v Superman: Dawn Of Justice: Ultimate Edition is like the Martha scene, where your dumb brain thinks it’s bad because it’s structurally flawless.

Lately, my favorite part is the subtitle’s implication that it is the first in a series of Batman v Superman movies.

batman v superman: league of justice

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Roman posted:

The v instead of vs. still bugs me

It's a legal case, not a boxing match.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i won't stand for this donkey kong: tropical freeze slander

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I have Avengers Endgame on in the background because that's the kind of movie it is, and when I turned to the screen for a moment there was a transition from Captain Marvel looking down on a starving Tony all benevolent to a close-up of a disposable razor. Movie fight is ON.

what are the odds that this was some extremely over-wrought attempt to get the same people who got mad at both gilette and captain marvel to get mad at endgame in order to drive engagement?

i only bring this up because the climax has a sequence that exists entirely to do exactly that and even the idiot moron chuds went 'that's bait' and didn't get mad at it so now i'm wondering how much of that is in the rest of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

I mean, the whole opening of that response is him talking about all the 'rights' he likes, i think he's just making a joke about how being 'rightwing' means not caring about peoples' rights