Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Farg posted:

ehhh ok that's less silly than I was hoping. one day someone will have fun with comic books

Its p. fun op, the part in bvs has batman getting trolled with a green lightbulb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Clown king of kings

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

my wife wanted to watch it and i got dragged in

At four in the morning?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

im in china. we started it at 4 pm

Incorrect. China does not exist

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Don’t understand people saying to cut the Flash intro. That whole sequence is a masterclass in introducing a superhero - you meet the hero, get a snapshot of his character that tells you everything you need to know (won’t shut up, goofy, bit of a fuckup but he still tries, good hearted) and also wordlessly establishes his powers and their limitations (he’s unbelievably fast but that speed is only limited to himself personally, if he isn’t exceedingly gentle then anything he touches gets disintegrated) and is just flat out funny and charming as a scene. Not even in the first ten of scenes I’d cut, and I definitely could think of things to cut off I was asked to.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The 4:3 is good because 4:3 is closer to the more vertical panel layouts of comics, and thus snyder is able to compose shots that feel more like comic panels and page spreads than would be otherwise possible in 1.85 or 2.35.

E: the shot of Cyborg looking out of the ruined window straight up feels like a full page comic book title page, for instance.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

2house2fly posted:

This may be just a DC Comics thing, but I have no clue what the gently caress the deal with the Anti-Life Equation is. It's like a mathematical formula that makes you go insane? Why would an equation be "on a planet"? And why only one planet??

The anti-life equation is one of things that’s wildly different in form from version to version but usually has the net nature of “is some kind of elemental proof that, when witnessed, brings absolute despair to the person that comprehends it.” In a much earlier version of justice league (pitched as a trilogy) that Zack released concept art of recently, the equation was a logic puzzle that the riddler solved, and then promptly blew his brains out in front of batman.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

also I don't understand why superman is being evil here instead of just amnesiac

last time the scout ship was used to bring someone back to life it turned them into a giant murdertumor bent on the destruction of all life, and adding a dastardly sugar cube to the mix probably wasn't doing all that much to specifically counteract the evil part

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

roffels posted:

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

From what I noticed most of the “cropped” parts of the Snyder version are sections where it’s largely CG image, so it’s not actually cropped, they’re just eliminating some of the set extensions added for Whedon’s version.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

roffels posted:

He has a few adopted children. It's hard for me to separate that knowledge from his storytelling of Superman as an adopted immigrant or Cyborg's "I'm not alone" line.

also interesting in light of his abandoned initial plans for justice league 2 and 3, where superman (having disassociated from his human identity after dying and identifying solely as Kal-El, the kryptonian) regains his humanity through raising bruce's son with Lois.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I’ve got a question about Darkseid and Steppenwolf.

Are there Amazons and Atlanteans elsewhere in the universe? Or are they specific to Earth? Steppenwolf seems to recognize them, which means either he’s been to earth before, or he’s faced them elsewhere in the universe.

When Darkseid first came to earth and lit the ground up with runes, did he know he’d just found the Anti-Life Equation? Because Steppenwolf seeing the runes seems to be what clued him in.

I ask because if that’s the case, it seems like one of them might be a little slow on the uptake.

So Darkseid found the runes, knew what he was looking at, fought Amazons and Atlanteans, and then lost.
Then Steppenwolf shows up, sees Amazons and Atlanteans, and should have instantly known the Anti-Life Equation was there because they’re the ones who kicked Darkseid’s rear end the first time he found the Equation.

So either:
Darkseid didn’t know what the runes meant when he first saw them (but Steppenwolf somehow did)
Steppenwolf didn’t know A&As were present at the first battle (but he knows what they are when he sees them).

Also who was the person to Darkseid’s left? Not Desaad, the one with the pike. Are they a comic character, or just a random lieutenant or something?

My take was: Darkseid was the only one who knew that Anti-Life was on earth, neither Desaad or Steppenwolf were aware of this particular fact because they weren’t there. However, Darkseid didn’t know Steppenwolf was conquering earth specifically, because he’s been having Desaad screen his calls and likely didn’t give a poo poo about what steppenwolf was doing aside from “is he keeping up with his quotas? Good.” Hence, he didn’t realize what Stepoenwolf had found until desaad comes to him with the good news.

As for your last question: that’s Granny Goodness, Darkseid’s other major underling, who is mostly known in the comics for being Darkseid’s chief slavemaster and torturer, responsible for brainwashing and conditioning prisoners into loyal subjects and terror troops.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

The most important thing to remember is that Taintrunner was actually Jefferoo, who wrote that fascist screed in response to SMG in the Pacific Rim thread.

lmao holy poo poo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Here is the lesson of wonder woman’s introductory fight scene: killing reactionaries kicks rear end

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Sure but I meant more his movie filmography.

Khan's presence isn't a mystery, his "reveal" is only to the characters within the story, we already know everything about him. And even Kirk and crew know he's a bad guy before they talk to him.

Khan was absolutely intended to be a ~wild shocking reveal,~ to the point that JJ actually straight up lied to people who asked if cumberbatch was playing khan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

well why not posted:

It's very funny that Zod's people travel the stars and terraform worlds rather than just have sex.

I believe the common joke is that Zod spends the movie ranting about how they need the codex to repopulate his species when he's got a beautiful woman dedicated to his cause standing right there.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Roth posted:

I love thar face on Darkseid.

:I

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would you settle on a story where Joker takes care of a baby Batman?

Three Jokers and a Baby (the baby is batman)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

It's funny cause Whedon pushed hard for the awful Cap costume in the first Avengers movie. Whedon isn't embarrassed by dumb cape poo poo, he just has bad taste

the best part about that is how the standard defense line was "WELL cap's outfit has always been goofy, how could you possibly make it look good!?!?!?!?" despite that it was both coming off a movie where they'd done a pretty good retro adaptation of it and also how every suibsequent version managed to not look nearly as doofus assed