Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

The Vanity Fair article says "He has reshot the ending with a hero cameo that will blow hardcore fans minds".

Curious if this is someone other than Martian Manhunter given his appearance is supposed to be earlier.

Perhaps Green Lantern? Might make sense given we see the ring fly away in the history lesson.

Yo if it's Bat-Mite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I absolutely love Eisenberg's Luthor. It's impressive how he and Affleck seriously commit to their weird, inaccessible characters.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Rewatched BvS extended with my bro last night who had never seen it (he had questions and was like, how do you know all this? you dont read comics! - and i was like, i discuss it and read it ever day lol). He generally enjoyed it but did comment that while it was really loving long it didn't feel like it, moved by really fast. I explained him to the sorta battle online over the Snydercut then showed him some stuff from Josstice League and he was like, HOLY poo poo this looks terrible. He could see the Cavill CG face immediately and hated the rooftop intro scene.

Also something popped out on me - the man in the wheelchair who defaces the statue and blows up congress is none other than Scoot McNairy who was loving INCREDIBLE in Narcos Mexico S2.

E: OH poo poo, he was in Frank too! Love that movie.

He's also a lot of fun in Free Fire. Guy's got a great voice.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm looking forward to finding references to Josstice League to be inexplicable and cryptic. "Russian family? What the hell?"

Jimbot posted:

Like what's "profoundly boring"? How's it differ from regular boring? What isn't boring?

At this point I don't recognize "boring" as a criticism. Malick films can be accurately described as "boring", but to say so is a worthless comment.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Yoo, when the Flash runs so fast he rewrites reality and Junkie XL just goes nuts on the score... I would have killed to see that in theaters.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is of course the exact opposite of what Cyborg learns in his arc - but the reveal that it was a creepy fake Martha creates a false impression that Lois was right to never stop grieving. In truth, the new Superman is a new being. He has a third father, in the group who resurrected him.

I thought the line "Love them as we have loved you" was really interesting in this light. Jor El loved Kal El as an ideological symbol of a better future, Jon Kent loved Clark Kent as a parent loves their child, and then the Justice League loves Superman as sort of this combination of both. The Justice League acting as a new father represents a kind of collective love the human race has for Superman and on a deeper thematic level the kind of collective love shown for religious figures, but then you also have the personal love of Lois Lane and Bruce Wayne. Alfred's warning and the fight with Superman problematizes that overlap in an ambiguous way that I really appreciated. Is there something dangerous in the way that Christians conflate collective worship with the idea of a personal God?

Grendels Dad posted:

The Amazon stuff looks great, though? It also serves to introduce and show off Steppenwolf, he gets to wreck horses and it's great.

Absolutely, the attack on the Amazons is easily a highlight of the movie.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Digital Prophet posted:

CW Flash doesn't do anything better than anything except suck.

Guy's always getting his speed stolen. How does one steal speed? It's fundamentally absurd.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

ZSJL Cyborg hacks into the bank and gives this woman $100,000 - which is, like, “yay!” - but he only does it for this one sad woman, and otherwise respects his father’s prohibition against doing anything too politically radical. It’s simultaneously good that he copes with the trauma of his car accident and highly questionable that he’s a part of a “Justice League” with a seemingly very limited definition of injustice.

That act was basically the same as when Victor hacks an A for his friend in college, only moreso. The through line there is identity; by repeating this act he's affirming that despite the loss of his body, mother, and everything else and his altered state of consciousness he has the same motivations and moral commitments, however lackadaisical. The increasing scale between the first and second iteration suggests a third repetition in the theoretical sequel where he redresses an even greater injustice, like world capitalism. Still, as presented this moral sense is still in a natal state.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

roffels posted:

If you do some side by sides, there are definitely some cropped and squished shots to make 4x3 in the Snyder cut. Notably some of the shots during speed-force time in the fight against Superman, and some of the shots in the Wonder Woman opening fight had the sides of the image cropped.

Easy way to fix this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1372746265218387968?s=19

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

John Wick of Dogs posted:

HBomberguy Begins

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1374122315206770688?s=19

He loves Zack Snyder and all his fans hate Zack Snyder, so the replies are hilarious

The replies to this thread really bummed me out. His followers just can't stand that he enjoys a movie that they already decided is bad, evil, or stupid. Even a guy they apparently respect can't get them to re-analyze their prejudices.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I think the 1999 (?) version of The Haunting and Whedon's Justice League are the only time I ever though "these effects look like a video game." for Josstice League it was for Steppenwolf in particular, not just how the character looked but like, the line trail when he'd swing his axe and stuff, looked awful to me.

I still can't believe was like, a character, and they cut all of that down to him just looking up to the sky an saying Darkseid randomly lmao

I will say that Wonder Woman's super dashes in the terrorist scene looked like something from a fighting game, but that's certainly not a problem for me.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The football game is a very good example of using slow motion to convey feelings of elation. The character is all but literally floating towards the endzone, while an actual-speed version of the same events would be like five seconds of a dude falling over.

The basic reason we are shown the football game is that’s it’s one of the most important events in this guy’s life. It’s also specifically memory, so the fact that the character remembers the event this way is characterization - he relates that feeling of elation to his mother’s presence, and blames his father for taking that away from him.

Snyder Cut really shows a variety of different uses for slow motion - from producing tension to introducing beats into an action sequence, or just showing that a thing is happening too quickly to photograph in the usual way.

Using imagery to convey characterization is dumb and dudebro. The better way is to have a dialogue scene where someone asks Victor what's important to him and have a line where Cyborg says, "I love football."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The United States posted:

I'd imagine he's mostly annoyed that this guy only showed up after the world ending cataclysm that nearly killed everyone

"Wow, Batman, you haven't found the Anti-Life Equation yet? Better get on that, clocks ticking."

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

In regards to Darkseid losing track of Earth:

I always imagined it like you left your phone with a tracker inside of a football stadium but then it died so you dont know the exact location and on top of that the football stadium is always changing position and coordinates, even relative to other football stadiums around it and on top of that the football stadium might be filled with a bunch of gods who wooped my rear end once and I have to get through them once I even find the drat thing.

Or look at it like even if you put a gps tracker on a single grain of sand and droped it in the ocean itd be a pain in the rear end to actually find.

Steppenwolf's supposed to conquer 50,000 worlds, so if you're working at that scale it's easy to see how you can lose track of one of them.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

josh04 posted:

If they didn't bring Superman back though, they wouldn't have needed to split attention because Steppenwolf wouldn't have had all three boxes. The time pressure was self-inflicted.

Prior to the resurrection they were in a stalemate position. They can't beat Steppenwolf, but Steppenwolf can't find the third box. The third box is waking up, but they can keep moving it around. As Bruce says, though, "That's a strategy to lose slowly." Bringing back Superman is a leap of faith to turn a stalemate-to-losing position into a victory.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

No they didn't, that was all their power armor

If it was their power armor the fight with Jor El would have been much different.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

They never did state why their colonization efforts failed, but if I were to speculate based on Zod's actions, they were probably trying to make their new territories like Krypton rather than adapting to their new surroundings. Krypton was doomed to fail so it's only natural that any efforts to make other planets into Krypton would also fail. Jor-El was the only one who recognized this which is why he specifically sent his son to Earth, a place where he could have lived up to his fullest potential.

The Kryptonian obsession with eugenics most likely lead them to become isolationists. Ironically, had they embraced the worlds they tried to colonize, they could have become something greater. The only thing Darkseid feared were Kryptonians, they could have potentially protected all those conquered worlds.

Zod and company find a totally dead planet with a World Engine.

Zod: I've advised a number of colonists to use a World Engine to forcibly terraform their worlds for survival.
Faora: Well, did it work for those people?
Zod: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but ... But it might work for us.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Depressing reactions to the story on Twitter. People who felt "Black Panther is honestly so important, Chadwick Boseman is a true visionary" are turning around and going "Who the gently caress does Fisher think he is, that he's too good for 'booyah'?" As if he has no right to ownership over his character, his portrayal on screen, or his artistic reputation, or that the way he was treated has nothing to do with his race. Once again, the people who think they're too smart for Snyder movies demonstrate that they really are not.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

What I want to know is why there wasn't a scene where Cyborg taught the Justice League how to build equity or pick colleges to apply to.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If you want a diegetic character-driven reason for the speech, Batman explains it in the hunter speech. He wants to hunt, trap, and kill Superman like an animal, so he uses a boar spear. It's his way of demeaning Superman in death. "You're not a god. You're not even a man."

Edit: An interesting wrinkle to this is that Lois and Superman are able to redeem the weapon, turning the spear into a knightly lance.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 4, 2021

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

It's tricky because we're talking about different - slightly unreliable - perspectives on an event involving multiple factions.

Most of the exposition comes from Amazonian legend about the time Darkside attacked Earth, which is their firsthand experience. But they're obviously simplifying things: "the boxes can create an army of demons, so the aliens need these boxes to conquer a planet." The Apokalypsians(?) are all lumped together as "the enemy".

But even the individual boxes have distinct 'personalities'. Victor refers to them collectively as "change machines", but that's based mainly on his dad's research into the third box. Only the first box is able to do the teleportation thing and actually bring Steppenwolf to its location, and only the second box knows about (or finds out about?) the existence of anti-life on Earth. So it's certain that only the third box can do the 'reverse entropy' trick. We could call them Space, Time, and Information.

From Darkside's perspective, he already had an army of demons and these cubes were just generic superweapons. He didn't even personally own them; he just asked a distinct group called The Mystics to use them as backup for his armada. The story of Darkside getting axed by the Old Gods is well-known, but the part about the cubes is not. And The Mystics are now, apparently, extinct.

So, 5000 years later, Steppenwolf is doing an Indiana Jones thing. He's investigating a signal that leads him to an old Mystic artifact, which grants him the ability to teleport. "Oh, these should make invading planets way easier". And the plot proceeds from there.

I think he only finds out there are three motherboxes on Earth after he finds the first, which supports your interpretation. Steppenwolf gets pinged by the first motherbox, finds out there are two more when the motherbox shows him a picture of the other two, internally goes "Could this be the mythical 'World that Resisted'?", then has that confirmed once he gets the second motherbox ("I have seen it with my own eyes.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

PeterCat posted:

Y'know, I'm not sure I'd want to see the sequel to Justice League where Superman turns evil and has to be defeated or Evil Superman averted. I feel like I already have the whole movie in my mind's eye and it doesn't really need to be made. Like, I already know what all the plot beats would be.

So I'm glad we go what we got and I'm not sure we need more.

I do want to see a Flash movie though.

I do think that was Snyder's intention with the epilogue. People in this thread have already pretty much guessed what the entire plot of the missing movies would be based on the Knightmare segments, even without Snyder's own commentary, so at least in some way Snyder has gotten his intended story out there.