Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Knightmare is a vision of the real future filtered through Batman's subconscious, which makes it basically a dream and what we see there not 100% indicative of reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think fans just called it that and it stuck. It's a vision Batman has of an apocalyptic future where Superman helps Darkseid take over the world

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lol I'd forgotten about the green light bulb. That was such a dick move

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't really know what fun means. I had a ton of fun watching Man Of Steel and BvS

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Homora Gaykemi posted:

i'm looking forward to having a little more of Jeremy Irons' Alfred in my life

Yes! The dude's one line in that trailer was probably the highlight of the whole thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Rape jokes? :confused: Snyder can barely bring himself to say a naughty word in most of the interviews I've seen

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Everyone says that about "Batman Begins." "Batman's dark." I'm like, "Okay, no, Batman's cool." He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn't, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that's how that would go."

It's a stretch to call that a joke; I guess it's kind of flippant. It's just an example of the kind of things actual dark movies have in them; Rorschach doesn't actually get raped in prison but Watchmen does have rape in it so the subjects are kind of adjacent

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Superman's a power fantasy because (as discussed in BvS) he has absolute power over what he wants to do with his life. He wants to save people from burning buildings? He can. He wants to blow it all off and go hiking? Nothing simpler. He wants to quit his job? He can sleep under the stars every night, anywhere he wants on earth. He doesn't need money, he doesn't need shelter, he may not even need food. He's the ultimate expression of what libertarians pretend everyone is, a true free agent. And also he can fly

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's Lindor and I will fight you all bare handed

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Batman absolutely comes across as a bully in DKR. Remember that DKR Superman isn't a villain. He's there because Batman has basically declared Gotham his kingdom. This is understandable because the government sucks but Superman isn't there to Take Batman Down if he can avoid it. He doesn't want to fight him at all and tries to reason with him throughout the entire fight. When he hears Bruce's heart start to go he panics and tries to warn him and that is when he gets a crippling beatdown.

And as Batman is stomping the helpless face of the man who showed him mercy, he thinks about how he wants Superman to remember how it feels to bleed and be helpless.

He absolutely does look like a bully because his goal is to make Superman feel scared and bleed. It's worth remembering the entire thing is a ploy so he can fake his death and go back into hiding. Making Superman hurt is just a side bonus.

I'm uncomfortable with the politics of DKR but God drat if Superman wasn't fantastic in it. Just this eternally youthful pretty boy striking romance novel cover poses while everyone around him grows old (I don't think Lois even gets mentioned does she?) and while getting beaten up detecting Batman's heart going and suddenly getting worried for him, then giving a cheeky wink at his grave when he figures out the whole thing

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

Bruce clutching the child in the ruins in one arm, while his other hand fishes out his iPhone and keeps hitting refresh on col Hardy's blog

feeling cute might die a good death later

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It slaps for sure

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's not a lot of daylight between this Darkseid and Thanos's minions, though to be maximally fair he's only been seen thus far in the light cast by some kind of evil hellfire

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I know two things about Darkseid from osmosis: he dresses like an idiot and he loves reclining on couches

I know a third thing: he has eye lazers but they do crazy zigzags instead of going in a straight line

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's a kind of "transportation to another world" sensation that I get from Snyder's films that I like a lot. The only other director who's really done that for me is Verhoeven. Not like verisimilitude, but almost the opposite- you're never going to believe Total Recall is real any more than 300, but it's all so stylised that it's intoxicating, and it makes it memorable.

It's also interesting that he's so divisive. There's the cult following of course, but also you can't swing a cat without hitting someone who hates him, not as in not liking the movies but as in they seem to think they're doing some kind of violence to culture itself. Man Of Steel isn't just tedious and poorly paced, it's fascist! You don't see this kind of discourse so much around comic book movies. When's the last time someone called Spiderman fascist?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Snyder films also grapple with the 21st century post-9/11 forever war world, like Superman is being actively monitored by the military and keeps having to smash their drones and tell them to leave him alone; a simple errand to save Lois ends with him interfering in some CIA/lexcorp proxy war in the third world; Batman brutalizes the poor with the explicit approval of the police and his trauma from witnessing the destruction of a bunch of buildings is used to manipulate him into hating immigrants; etc. They're well away from the reassuring 20th century, to the point that America's greatest symbol of heroism is now subject to round-the-clock dissection of his every action by pundits and bloggers, and Lex's goal is basically to cancel Superman

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When I learned about this sort of thing in school I went through a brief phase of seeing things sort of as Matrix code. Like I'm not seeing a red table, I'm seeing red light reflected from the table and blasted into my optic nerves upside down, which my brain uses to assemble a picture of what it's pretty sure is a red table but also there's a huge blind spot which it fills in with whatever it thinks I would see if I was looking at that spot directly. You think that's air you're breathing now?!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I watched Ninja Scroll in my early teens because I was told it had sex scenes in it. It went way better than when I later watched Legend Of The Overfiend because I was told it had sex scenes in it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I agree; given that this whole film almost didn't exist, it's not likely that sequels will either unless this thing goes ballistic. Which it might, you never know. And God knows you can see plenty of fanboys crowding around any announcement and getting hashtags trending like kpop stans, so it's got promotion in its favour. But I'd hoped the budget and reshoots were at least partially to give it a conclusive ending, and another cliffhanger will be a disappointment.

I also was thinking, after making Superman movies for the better part of a decade surely Snyder himself is fed up of it by now, and would like to actually wrap it up

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

LesterGroans posted:

I'm glad Snyder is making the movie with the ending he wanted and not changing it due to WB's decisions.

I'm also glad that it ending on a cliffhanger will probably mean WB's twitter accounts will continue to get bombarded by Snyder Cut fans.

Oh yeah, that'll be kind of fun

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Interesting that they'd characterize Ray Fisher's attempt to hold abusers accountable as a "war with the studio"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

There's not that much to spoil if you've followed basically what Zack Snyder himself has said about the movie over the past couple of years. We know how it ends already!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

hump day bitches! posted:

That creepy laugh when Clark tells him he’s going to learn how to lose is fantastic. The second half of the movie when he’s red,mad and doesn’t care anymore about presenting a facade is great.

I really love "Now God is good... as dead!"

Also a line to Batman which I didn't notice until I watched the ultimate edition with subs: "This is how it all caves in... civilisation on the Wayne, Manors out the window..." he's such a smartass

E: the last line to Gordon in Dark Knight Rises is kind of crappy, but I like the fact that Gordon has an instant flashback to giving young Bruce his coat; it suggests that was an important event in his life as well

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Kazzah posted:

"I didn't like how they made Lex an annoying prick" is more sympathetic to me than the complaints about Supes' and Bats' characters, honestly.

Sure, "the character annoyed me" is a fair reason to not like a movie. My issue with that particular criticism though is that Lex rocks

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Anyone could have taken that trigger off the dude and done it. But I guess it proved the Joker's point by making them directly culpable in stuff they're indirectly culpable in usually.

General Zod posted:

You won't kill us yourself! You wouldn't sully your hands! But you'll drat us to a black hole for eternity!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

What are the odds that the detonators he gave them would have actually blown up the boat of the person who pressed it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Dark Knight is my favourite, I think because it's the least comic-booky. I was never into them, but I like the idea of trying to do a deadly-serious melodramatic political crime drama about Batman and the Joker, who I knew of from silly cartoons and a comedy movie from the 60s

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He probably went to the nearest public place and said to someone, "Google Bruce Wayne, that's me, help me get to the airport and ill give you a million bucks"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Aww the lil Flash/Cyborg fist pump

Also Harry Lennix with dialogue that an alien would say!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Same, I have like a free year of it. If ZSJL is good I may get the Bluray or see it in the cinema if they ever do that near me

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It makes perfect sense they wouldn't be happy with it, since they weren't happy with the exact same thing in 2016. Since they're execs, they probably aren't happy with it because it doesn't look enough like Avengers Endgame, though

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I always like when a trailer has something you realise in retrospect is a major league spoiler. Like ooh, I wonder what Superman looks so upset about!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Looking up Justice League on youtube and seeing that it's exactly two hours long is all the indication you need that something hosed up happened with it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You'd think they'd save Superman for last, really

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I have no idea what I'd have made of the theatrical version of Sucker Punch. No Love Is The Drug performance? No scene of meeting the High Roller? Outrageous! I barely know what I made of the director's cut, really

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Huh, kind of weird to think this thing will be out next Thursday

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

hell it's next thursday somewhere

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

As in the actual movie? People were sitting down to watch Tom And Jerry and they saw a timer of 0:01/4:02:57 and Darkseid's big scowling face or whatever? Lmao if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I saw a quick clip someone took and it looks kind of like the Knightmare is being compressed into flashforwards- there's a scene of Batman, Flash, Cyborg and Mera all preparing for battle, with the Joker laughing off to the side, then Evil Superman shows up with glowing red eyes, cut to Present Day Bruce Wayne waking up from a horrible dream!

This gives me hope that the movie might actually wrap things up satisfyingly rather than ending on a cliffhanger to be resolved in a movie that'll never be made