Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

Neo Rasa posted:

They should have set the scene in the US so it would be more realistic that the school kids would be used to insane white regressives shooting at them.
This shouldn't have made me laugh so much but it did.

McSpanky posted:

And it wasn't even his idea! Leto ad-libbed it. And people say he's a terrible Joker.

This is going to sound weird but I promise I am not trolling. I don't think Leto is THAT bad. Is he my least favourite Joker? Sure though I don't really count Joaquim Joker in the pantheon. Is he as bad as people say and something to be mocked into oblivion? Not in my opinion. I mean... mock Leto for being a weird cultist with his band but his Joker is alright. Hate people for overly romanticizing the Harley/Joker relationship and missing the entire point as well as pretty much a million other things. One thing I will give Leto is that his Joker is not imitating any of the other guys. Even if he is my least favourite I like his Post Credits Serial Killer loving with Batman's head take. Liked it better than Suicide Squad.

So watched it for a third time and... I am shocked how much I like this movie. Watched the Whedon version also to compare and contrast and it is amazing how much more cohesive this movie is. Whedon's version had a few decent lines ("Just one person" and "Why do they keep saying this to me?") but sloppy and sloppy, dumb action movie. Snyder's version was a million times a Snyder film but a decent DC movie. A bit too long and could have used some editing but really enjoyable. I wish they had left out the first MM moment as it weakened the scene but other things, like Cyborg getting an infodump and then donating to the single waitress mom and the Flash/Iris scene were absolutely fantastic. Whedon's version most of the scenes that were memorable (Icky Thump Aquaman or that loving Russian family) were only memorable because they were so bloody dumb. Lots of good action and I really liked the theme of relationships. This is a different Bat than has been on the screen for my lifetime and I like his progression from BvS. Even enjoyed the post credit scenes and thought the Post Apoc JL was interesting. Found myself wishing we had more Affleck Batman.

Character wise? Really liked everyone. I thought Flash was far better in this and, again, loved the Iris and Barry scene. I want that song. Really made me like his Flash. Loved how the heroes were nuked and he had to go flashpoint in order to save the day. Cyborg was far better although I will agree not as good as Doom Patrol. The donation scene and extended bits with his dad were great and did a ton of work to make him cool but I like the actor and "goofy retro" look in Doom Patrol. Still far better than Whedon and "Booya" (despite my tween love of Teen Titans). I like Cyborg and wish he would stick around but maybe change the costume.Jason Momoa is always cool but he's that guy you get hosed up with on the weekend. I don't know if he's a great actor but he just seems like such a mate that you like him on screen. Wonder Woman was brilliant aside from the Gladiator-esque Amazon Lament every time she did something cool. I miss the simple beat from WW and BvS. Superman looked far better and they did a good job of presenting him as power incarnate. Steppenwolf made me a bit sad as, despite his threatening power and look, just felt like a puppy that wanted to come home. Him getting clowned by Superman hard was hilarious though. Batman? I agree with that one goon that this was his movie. Really liked how different he was than any Bat we had seen before. He was a loner, awkwardly trying to be learn to be a dad that he, himself, never had to a bunch of super powered children. Hate that we won't have more of this Bats and the JLA. Kinda feel that these guys put in the work and got the shaft solely due to political hollywood shenanigans. Deathstroke versus the Bat could be a ton of fun and the animated JLA Flashpoint cartoons made me intrigued how a live action version of the Darkseid Post Apoc world would be.

Doom2020! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom2020!
Dec 31, 2020

If you think this has a happy ending then you really haven't been paying attention

sethsez posted:

WW84 is easy and obvious to follow up on regardless of that specific movie's reception because Gal Godot's take on the character is widely liked, and she's the only person who really needs to commit to a sequel.

Meanwhile, Affleck has said he's not interested in doing Batman anymore and the Ray Fisher situation is... tense to say the least, so even if they were willing to spend the money a Justice League 2 would cost (which is significantly higher than Wonder Woman 3 would be, and less likely to guarantee a return on that investment) they might still see it as being more trouble than it's worth for non-Snyder reasons.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of legs this has. If streaming numbers remain high for a while, it might still have a shot.
I hope it does well as I'd like to see everyone come back. I know Affleck has personal stuff going on but a part of him saying no more has to be the mess that was making JL combined with everyone hating that movie. I know I would be hesitant if I was in his shoes. I am indifferent to Snyder in general but I kinda love that a movie that was so hosed over by Hollywood egos and shenanigans got a proper unfucking. Also like that this helps make Whedon look even more like an overrated douche. I like some of Whedon's stuff but gently caress that guy.

Also Ray Fisher is cool and hope he gets another movie to shine. Just hope they redesign the cyborg outfit. Doom Patrol's cyborg has this perfect retro and slightly cheesy outfit that just WORKS with him. Still think the JL one is a little too blatant CGI but not in a good way and more of a Green Lantern outtake way.

Xealot posted:

I loved the concept of Suicide Squad Joker. Trash gangster Joker is a great idea. Turning Joker and Harley into Die Antwoord is a great idea.

It's really just Jared Leto. Who I agree isn't "that bad," but I don't think I've ever felt like he disappeared into a role, despite some obvious pretensions to the contrary. He takes on these big, challenging roles, and makes these huge, scenery-chewing choices in service of them, and they always feel more like an impression of what a Great Actor would do than something that feels motivated by the character or situation.

Part of what made Heath Ledger's Joker good was the subtle, considered aspects of his performance. The lived-in mannerisms he chose, little reactions playing off other actors, etc. But Leto in SS doesn't seem to care about any of that. He gave me the sense that every line reading was another chance to go big and memorable, not because it served the scene or the character, but because he had to be the most interesting person in the room. I remember feeling the exact same way about him in Blade Runner 2049.

Good call. I felt his BR2049 guy was a bit better but still not as memorable as I felt the movie wanted him to be. Pretty much all of Leto's later work make me think they should just go all in with Leto and do a cult leader Joker if they wanted to use him as opposed to the gangster concept. Cesar Romero's "Clown Prince of Crime",Nicholson's "Jack Nicholson in makeup", Hamill's "Mr J", Ledger's "Agent of Chaos", Joaqin's "Travis Bickle has a bad day in the 70's"... they all brought a giant presence that went beyond their screens. Leto's never really grabbed me the same way, despite me not hating it. The JL apoc scene did more for me than SS but a big part of that might have been the dialogue. I still would like to see more but not sure how much he could bring. Cult leaders are usually full of shite wank pheasants that ooze surface charisma that brings in the gullible, damaged and desperate, but it's just an act to hide the person inside. Good version of this was a character called Jeremiah Sand in the movie Mandy (go see that movie). if the performance felt a bit like an act that could actually work in its favour. We haven't seen that in a Joker so it could be interesting and Leto could totally pull it off.

Now I want to watch Mandy again. That movie is awesome. Here's a trailer. Warning: Nic Cage!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI054ow6KJk