Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

well why not posted:

Timothy Olyphant playing Green Arrow

...god dammit. Don't put that out in the world unless you're sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Aquaman is a lot of fun. You should give it a shot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Horizon Burning posted:

confession time: i always thought it was pronounced darkseed

I thought that for the longest time, too. Because otherwise, why would they spell it differently? About 5 years ago, a DC fanboy friend of mine corrected me. I was very confused.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

Did we already have confirmation that Keaton was playing Batman? I don't remember that being confirmed although it was definitely a rumored possibility.

We didn't have confirmation before, and I wouldn't count this as confirmation either.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If you think that going on a pundit's show is bad if that pundit holds bad views then I have sad news to tell you about literally everyone who has appeared on any talk show.

You're not wrong, but this one seems...really bad. Like, I'm a Star Wars fan that has to keep saying, "I know, Star Wars fans can very often be the worst," and this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about.

Videos like that are a prime example of what is wrong with Star Wars fandom. (And there are a poo poo ton of examples, to be clear. Like, more examples than there are exceptions.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

Apparently Dogma comes down to the rights to the movie being personally owned by the Weinsteins, and with all the current distribution deals lapsed, someone would need to actively seek out a business deal with Harvey Weinstein to get the movie released again.

Yeah, Smith also told a story once about how, right before all the Weinstein poo poo went down, Harvey called him and asked if he'd be interested in doing a Dogma 2. Smith said, sure, he'd love to! So he started coming up with some ideas. Then, like a week later, all the poo poo hit the fan with all the accusations and stories and all that. Then a friend called Smith and said Harvey had called him too about making a sequel to one of his movies. It seems Harvey had been checking in to see, "Who his friends were" or something like that. To which Smith said, "Well gently caress that." Not that Harvey called him back after that.

Harvey Weinstein owns Dogma, and until he dies, no one is gonna touch it, and Smith isn't even gonna try because any effort would give Harvey more money, so why even bother.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a moment on the Mall Rats commentary where Ben Affleck talks about when he roomed with Kevin Smith and was sleeping on the couch while Smith and Joey Lauren Adams (Smith's gf at the time) engaged in loud "adult activities" and it's as funny as anything in the movie.

All Smith commentaries are great, because it's a bunch of friends shooting the poo poo. There's a moment, I think also on the Mallrats one, where it's a slow moment in the movie (I think when they go to see the psychic?) and they start talking about what they all did that weekend, dates they went on and stuff, and Affleck says something like, "Man, you know it's a down part of the movie when everyone starts asking, 'Did anybody get laid?'"

There are insightful commentaries, and there are fun commentaries. I tend to prefer the latter, and Smith commentaries are definitely those. Thought I guess I haven't listened to a commentary in like a decade. Are they still a thing in streaming services? I guess probably. iTunes still has extras, I just never click over to them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

In Josstice League the action of that entire part can best be summarized as "Hippolyta rides a horse down a football field". It was also the first big action setpiece and set the tone for the entire rest of the endeavor.

I donít think thatís entirely fair. Itís been a long time since I watched it, but I remember some cool stuff involving a few Amazons trading off the box, and some arrows with ropes on them, right? I remember it being the only kind of cool action scene in the whole movie, and thinking that maybe it had some of the few Snyder shots in it. Though obviously this looks way better.

Again, itís been a long time, I donít remember many specifics.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

No, you're right. But like, the entire exterior of that sequence I remember as a basically featureless field.

Oh that is definitely true.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

I mean I can't lie I would too. I would be a crappy famous creator. If you asked me if a character was wearing spandex as a metaphor for the repression of the male form in media I'd be like "Yeah sure that sounds about right."

This reminds me of when Kevin Smith was doing press junkets for Clerks, and someone asked him if he filmed it in black and white so it would feel more like security camera footage. And Smith was like, ď...yes.Ē When in reality he shot in black and white because it was cheaper at the time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

...what the gently caress does he think the job of a director is? That is one of the dumbest Snyder takes Iíve ever seen.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

One thing that I found interesting about the IGN review, that is a little spoilery so I won't get into it here, and warning before you go check out the review itself, is that the movie goes more in detail into Steppenwolf's specific motivations beyond, "MOTHER!" That's really fascinating poo poo, to me, and is making me look forward to Thursday even more. Why would Whedon cut that? I mean, beyond the usual, "Because he's really dumb."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah, I've been expecting the reviews to be pretty terrible to jump on the easy Snyder hate train bandwagon for clicks. The mostly positive reviews have been surprising. Not because I thought the movie would be bad, but because I'm a cynical jackass and figured they'd write bad reviews no matter what to not risk alienating themselves from the dumbasses on twitter. I'm...honestly shocked at the response so far.

Could this movie be that good? Or are reviewers deciding to focus on the artist over the studio for, like, the first time I can remember?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The work print of that Wolverine movie is still the only way Iíve seen that movie and it loving owned Lmao

Same. I've never seen the finished version, and I have no intention on ever fixing this. The version I saw was hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hiddenriverninja posted:

IIRC He also said he did it for free to make sure they couldn't hold the threat of a paycheck over his head as leverage.

Has he said that's the reason? Like, I don't doubt that being the real reason, but I thought the stated reason from him was that he felt he was already paid for his work on Justice League, so he's doing this as a labor of love, or something. I'd be pretty surprised if he came out and said, "I'm not taking a paycheck to make sure those assholes who finally let me finish the movie can't tell me to go gently caress myself again."

I'd be happy if he said that, but also surprised.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Martman posted:

Going to continue to ignore the bad article and its writer but lol:

https://twitter.com/seoul_machine/status/1374443121019285509
(I am probably the one who can't sense sarcasm anymore)

What the gently caress?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'll admit the Knightmare scenes don't make a ton of sense, as they stand. They probably would have if Snyder could have made his full 5 movies (3 JL movies), but as it is, they sit there as these weird WTF moments for most people. However, they are weird WTF moments in a way that is ABSOLUTELY MY JAM. I love crazy rear end poo poo like that, and we just don't get enough of that in movies.

I totally get why some people look at them and can't engage. But I am not one of those people. I am hooked, and love speculating what they could mean moving "forward", even if we'll never get more movies in this canon.

I love them.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mantis42 posted:

The real question is why did Superman's death scream activate the Mother Box but not Zod's.

I mean, Zod didn't really get much of a chance to scream. You know...because of the broken neck.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Caridean posted:

psychopath: Even people who liked Snyder are usually able to admit that he doesn't give a poo poo about anyone in his movies but the central heroic figures. The amount of death and destruction for what's basically a schlocky action adventure film is weird. It's not as bad as some of his previous work but it's still there.

This is just saying that he focuses on the main characters. Which, like, welcome to movies, I guess? Avengers movies also tend to focus on The Avengers. But ZSJL focuses plenty on other characters. Like the woman Cyborg helps with the bank account, as just one example. But there are plenty more. The fishing village with Aquaman. Cyborg's mother and father. Silas' lab partner. The cop Lois visits. Does Alfred count as a "central heroic figure"? All of these characters get more screen time than any non-main characters in most comic book movies. BvS has a ton of scenes focusing on characters other than the "central heroic figures", like the people testifying at Congress, or the people in prison. I really don't get where this criticism comes from. Is it just cutting out the Russian family? Can't we all agree that was a good cut?

bushisms.txt posted:

Imagining people upset when Cyborg puts money in that mother's bank account.

"Has Snyder never heard of teaching a man to fish?"

Now imagine criticizing Snyder for being Randian after seeing this scene.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 23, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Frankly I was upset he didn't put in more. $100,000 will not buy 1/4th of the space she needs in a major city.

Yeah, I thought the same thing. "Man, $100,000 sounds nice, but in reality won't last you all that long."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Spacebump posted:

Rent is probably cheap in Gotham.

What with all the psychopaths running around.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

roffels posted:

Mine was window boxed until i held ctrl and used the mouse wheel to zoom in.

Going back several pages, but thank you. This solved the weird HBOMax browser letterboxing problem I was having.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

2house2fly posted:

I gained a cool rear end movie

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People have been talking about Martian Manhunter standing in for Martha, and this undermining a decent scene between two female characters, but I feel like this is missing the obvious conclusion: Martian Manhunter isn't standing in for Martha, he IS Martha. He has literally put himself in place to guide Superman from day one, taking the name of Martha to ensure the eventual peace between Superman and Batman.

So...did Jonathan know?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I'd love to watch the Justice is Gray edition, but HBO still hasn't bothered to do anything about the half screen thing, or even respond to my email, saw many people on reddit with the same problem so it isn't just me.

Do you mean in the browser? Have you tried holding Ctrl and scrolling up? That fixed it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Oh god, Ben Shapiro posted a review video of this? Like, can he stay out of poo poo like this? Or, like...everything?