Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For the record, if we do want to discuss a superhero film that features graphic prisoner abuse, the Wachowski Sibling's V for Vendetta is right there.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not trying to accomplish anything? Like I don't have some Big End Goal Here. I just like discussing things. If I had one wish related to the Snyder Cut it would be to get Leto removed from the movie so I could watch it and not feel so crappy about it but that ain't happening on the SA forums so it's mostly discussion.

I do feel this. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Oh, you didn't know? Lex is the good guy. :colbert:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Smallville is fascinating but it's also unbelievably bad

I understand. I've watched anime before.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
My big complaint about Zack Snyder's films is that their two and a half hour marathons that feel like every minute of their runtime.

But then again, Joss Whedon's Justice League was a two hour film that felt like a four film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

When's the last time someone called Spiderman fascist?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DanteDevils posted:

Alan Moore detailed this alarming phenomenon perfectly:

This strikes me as a particularly baffling quote to cite for a criticism of Zack Snyder or his 'personality cult.'

"Primarily, mass-market superhero movies seem to be abetting an audience who do not wish to relinquish their grip on (a) their relatively reassuring childhoods, or (b) the relatively reassuring 20th century."

One of the main criticisms of Snyder's films as that they fail to provide reassurance. Superman doesn't smile enough, Batman is too comfortable with guns, they don't protect enough people, and yadda yadda yadda.

"The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Schuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand. I would also remark that save for a smattering of non-white characters (and non-white creators) these books and these iconic characters are still very much white supremacist dreams of the master race.”

The Snydercut is coming out in large part because Zack Snyder has stood up for his rights as a creator against Warner Bros. Moreover, as Ray Fisher has stated, the film does feature non-white characters in significant roles — which Warner Bros cut out, and which the Snydercut would restore.

I don't want to overstate the worth or quality of Snyder's caped punchman films, but trying to wrangle Moore's criticisms of the comic book industry against those films seems like a particularly miss-aimed effort. If anything, Moore's words imply he'd view the whole "release the Snydercut" hubbub as a positive movement for change in a stilted industry.

(The interview this was from is available here: https://alanmooreworld.blogspot.com/2019/11/moore-on-jerusalem-eternalism-anarchy.html)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 16, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Surely, there must be a most ideal screen shape given human eyesight. Some kind of ellipse, maybe?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
instead of INRI we have LMAO

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I admit I would like to see Sanrio characters done up like early version Sonic movie.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Steppenwulf makes a pitstop to the Planet of the Greeks on his way to Earth. Xerxes cameos.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair that kind of ending is basically the only way to build hype for a sequel. It is a gamble but what isn't

I don't think it has a prayer of happening... but if it builds any hype at all it'll make the suits at WB look like idiots who killed their golden goose. That has satisfaction of its own.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
For real. There's enough hate without inviting it in.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think I remember reading that it was HBO who put the money up for the Snydercut and not WB, who just allowed it to happen. If so, WB probably does't feel any real obligation to help it succeed.

Take this with a grain of salt though, because I can't actual find the article I think I read this from ATM.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Wanna see Tom lounging on a throne Darkseid style.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Release the Chuck Jones cut.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

It's kind of refreshing to have a villain just be, "I want to rule everything, gently caress you."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Violator posted:

Still debating watching Josstice League this week for maximum shock and awe when experiencing ZSJL. These ads just keep making it look more and more impressive.

Honestly, Josstice League isn't memorable to be worth the effort. Yeah it's bad, but nothing sticks to the ribs.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I am tempted but I worry sitting down to a 4 hour movie at 3 CT would kill my 30-y-o rear end.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Martman posted:

Neil Breen's Justice League

A couple of his more recent films are basically superhero flics, but I don't think we're getting a "league" out of him unless he decides to have Super Neil team up with his evil twin, Other Super Neil.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

smoobles posted:

How much of the 4-hour runtime is Martha Wayne's pearls flying thru the air in slow motion?

You know how the last track in The Wall fades seemlessly into the first track?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darko posted:

Let's see some Goku reboot.

Reminds me that I still got to take time to watch the new Broly film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Watching this is eerie as gently caress. Both these scenes played out roughly the same in Josstice, but these are clearly different takes with different dialog and very different cinematography.

I don't think it can be overemphasized how uncanny it is that ZS's film is finally coming out.

Or maybe I should say: it can't be overemphasized how uncanny it is that WB decided to completely reshoot an already finished film — only to make it less dynamic.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Disney did it with Solo. And we’ll never see that footage.

God, that'd another one I'd love to see.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I hate solo so much because they fired two of my favorite filmmakers for some bland rear end poo poo.

Maybe OG solo sucked rear end and wasnt funny. But I’d rather see it over what we got.

Absolutely! Lets be real tho: if Disney hated it, how terrible could it have really been?

Hopefully, if ZSJL is anything near a success the big studios will reconsider the MCU style of homogenized content extrusion. (This will not happen.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Asteroid Alert posted:

All the critic talk aside, how have people around you reacted to this movie coming out?

Between covid keeping me away from folks and most of my online friend circles not caring about superhero films, there mostly hasn't been a reaction. The closest thing was maybe my Mom saying she wanted to see "a director's cut" of JL after watching the Joss cut on a whim some months ago. :lol:

CelticPredator posted:

How lazy are where you gently caress up that bad with a DOB.

If I had to guess I'd say it was something like the birthday of some VFX artist's kid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I feel like a good half of the made up superhero names in this have to be real. There's no way someone hasn't written an Ionic Man.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would love to watch the streams but they don't work for me time wise.

Here's what you're missing out on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
General Kala,

What do you mean "Bat Plane Approaching?" Open fire!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Chicks dig my grave-soil scented deodorant.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

I love that picture frame.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

teagone posted:

Did anyone else pick up that it could be possible Barry was written to be on the spectrum? My cousin is a behavioral therapist and believes that's a fairly plausible interpretation based on a lot of Barry's dialogue and mannerisms/social cues, even if it's never really outright implied in any way.

[edit] grammar because :derp:

I know that was a semi-common read of MoS Clark, based on his childhood overstimulation and difficulty socializing.

josh04 posted:

The apocalypse scene is somewhat important because it shifts the Knightmare from being a one-off vision to a continuous series of echos. Bruce does have a power after all!

In hindsight making ZS!Batman's power prophesy as a counterpoint/reification of comic!Batman's power of "has plans for every eventuality" seems obvious.

"Good golly, Batman, how did you ever figure out Librarian's dastardly plot?"

"The author told me, Robin."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

SOMEONE MADE UP AN ACTUAL EQUATION FOR THE ANTI LIFE EQUATION???!!

The anti life equation that can be told is not the true anti life equation.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RBA Starblade posted:

The anti-life equation was in the IHOP the whole time

Honestly, that'd be a really good take. Retail work as a life without hope. Consumerist mediocrity as hell.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 22, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LesterGroans posted:

Um, Mods????

...oh, poo poo...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ungulateman posted:

yeah the best post ever made about man of steel is his

Okay, now I'm curious.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Honestly, I think the amount of death and destruction really holds back 1999's schlocky action adventure film, The Mummy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh yeah. She was probably watching it in her hotel room or something because she doesn’t own a TV. Or maybe she heard people talking about it.

It does seem like the kind of thing that'd get people talking.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The comparison to Lucas is apt, and I think there's also something similar going on with how people reacted to Ridley Scott and Prometheus.

There's something about the way people relate to these, sorta, foundational pillars of nerd culture like Alien or Star Wars or Superman that starts to feel threatened when either the original creator of the work (or even worse, a bigger fan than them) does something that they perceive as taking away their ownership of the material. It's extremely territorial in nature.

Another two directors who I consider somewhat superficially similar to Snyder et al. are the Wachowskis. I don't remember the Matrix sequels getting quite the level of hate as some of the films mentioned, but there was kind of a similar vibe of nerd frustration about them.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 24, 2021

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does the state have a magical truth-telling lasso? No!?!

No, despite Moulton's efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arkage posted:

OK, and for Josstice League, instead of wondering why Joss didn't do what you wanted him to do, you should think about what he was conveying by the stuff he did show.

(Hopefully this illustrates how absolutely pointless your framing is, as it could be used to justify literally anything in a movie. Also it's pretty ironic your avatar is of Superman smashing Zod through buildings)

Asking what is conveyed by Joss's bloodless and often puerile film condemns it all the more harshly.