Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

The United States posted:

Batman suing Superman for child custody

Batman does not have the greatest record on child custody, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm undecided on whether the other solo movies (Flash and Aquaman) should have come before Justice League, but I think it would be an absolute mistake to have a solo Batman film before BvS. The Batman in BvS is pretty well defined by being retired then being traumatized seeing Superman fight Zod, if there is a solo Batman film between MoS and BvS what would it even be? Since BvS picks up from where MoS left off it'd have to be a flashback to years before when he decides to retire, which means it basically ends in defeat. I think it was much better to introduce Batman as they did and give us just enough detail that we could fill in the blanks on what had happened before Superman's arrival.

Plus it's a very easy throughline for cinematic Batmans, just think of every Batman movie of the modern era (since '89) and this Batman does or has done it. Batwing with a minigun? '89. Batmobile that plows through and over all other vehicles? Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Robin? Batman Forever/and Robin. ACAB coziness? TDK.

The unique parts of this Batman, the physicality, the slasher horror framing, really don't need a separate introduction.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Y'all can talk about Pink Raytheon or Fountainhead Iron Man, but Black Panther has the worst politics in all of modern film-making because it literally enshrines a modern white supremacist revision of a Puritan American founding myth as a central pillar of the movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

And what is that?

Even aside from the Cosby-ish respectability politics and whatever else.

Puritans launched their colonization effort of America citing a Christian sermon with the phrase "city upon a hill". They used it to refer to their religious piety, but it's since been repurposed as a rallying call for all sorts of colonialism and in the modern era as a justification for white supremacy--that white people, white civilization, in general are the shining pinnacle. Black Panther eagerly accepts this framing and says that a bunch of brutal isolationist monarchists are the ones who can follow in the white people's footprints in delivering colonialism to an Africa depicted as tribal hunter-gatherers.

It is loving gross.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 30, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree! But homologizing the Wakandans to white Puritan settlers feels unnecessary given that the movie is hosed up in even more obvious ways.

Yeah I think the obvious ways are the more superficial ways, those are ways in which Black Panther is merely Just As Bad as the rest.

It's not exactly homologizing, I think. The idea of the city upon a hill has certainly evolved in 400 years, and it is the modern white supremacist conception of the phrase that Black Panther ultimately adopts for Wakanda. That makes it worse than every other right wing leaning MCU slobjob, on what is a fundamental level.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

quote:

I’m a true lover of individual rights.

UH OH