Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jack Black Green Lantern please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I have seen one negative review so far, from Scott Mendelson, who wrote quite ridiculously that it is the same exact film with 2 hours of deleted scenes(calls it an assembly cut). But even he says the action is much better, Cyborg is the stand out, and WB should have released this version instead of the one they did.

I am expecting the skeleton of the main plot is basically the same, that Steppenwolf is getting the motherboxes to change Earth and the league has to unite to stop them, but simplifying that to "2 hours of deleted scenes" is so ridiculous it makes me question whether the guy has ever watched movies before.

The guy has been publically dunked on by Snyder so he has an axe to grind.

If he's even throwing the ZSJL a morsel of praise it's a good sign.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

But wasn't the word from the set that he himself HATED his part and personally asked for it to be cut?

no, the exact opposite

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a movie that was released once already to theaters and is getting re-released. You think calling the snyder cut an extended edition is a "lie"? Seriously?

yes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

It wasn't all smooth sailing once the opportunity to complete the film came to him. From the Vanity Fair article, he forgoed pay to leverage more creative control over ZSJL. And his good relations with his actors got us the additional reshoots as well.

I did like that his initial plan was to call up Affleck and Leto and shoot the scene in his back garden with just the three of them.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Vanity Fair review of this is awesome:

quote:

"Watching Snyder’s intermittently rewarding epic—if nothing else a spectacle of completed vision—stirred up surprising emotions. Not about what happens to the people (and aliens) in the film, but about what happened to its maker, and to the course of human events while Justice League 2.0 wrestled its way into being. There is a bittersweet suggestion made by this turgid, solemnly weighted film. Toward the end of my screening odyssey—one sixth of a whole day on Earth!—I found myself thinking about all the ways of the old world that I have mourned over the last year, about all the petty hopes and plans I had for my life that were washed away by pandemic and quarantine.

Of course, I am still alive, puttering away with relatively little to complain about. And, of course, this is just a superhero movie, remounted mostly out of corporate hunger. But, nevertheless, there is Snyder’s pained, finally realized opus, perhaps indicating with its bizarre existence that not everything is gone for good, even if it comes back haunted, or a little dinged up by the tumble of time. Maybe, just maybe, we too can revive some of our mad pursuits, recut the shape of our lives into what we were once so determined they would be. All we’d need is millions of dollars of our own, and an army of devotees eager to take up the cause of our thwarted dreams.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/03/zack-snyder-justice-league-review

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aquaman felt super sincere, which I always respect in a movie with a kinda silly concept.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Now up to 78% on RT. If this cracks 80% and stays there I reckon we're in with a decent chance of a sequel.

(I know RT is completely arbitrary, but WB execs take it seriously).

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Loved Mera lugging around a couple of jerry cans of water in the desert apocalypse. Can't waste a drop!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A tip for aspect ratio haters: you can achieve whatever ratio you like with judicious use of the zoom button, some black felt and some sticky tape to fix it to the screen.

Be the change you want to see.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

stev posted:

Lmao is it seriously 4:3 all the way through? Is there any reason for that other than Snyder thinking he's Tarantino?

Isn't Tarantino known for preferring ultrawide aspect ratios?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Leto seems like a pretty gross dude, but it's kinda nuts how some art project music festival one-off thing has turned into "he is a cult leader".

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ammanas posted:

i liked the movie but the 'anti life equation' is a profoundly stupid phrase

everything in superhero comics has a profoundly stupid name, you're just used to most of them by now

e: Batman drives a car called - get this - the Batmobile.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It got defined in Grant Morrison's Final Crisis (which is rad and probably a big influence on Snyder)

Spoiling in case it permanently breaks all your brains:

loneliness + alienation + fear + despair + self-worth ÷ mockery ÷ condemnation ÷ misunderstanding × guilt × shame × failure × judgment n=y where y=hope and n=folly, love=lies, life=death, self=darkseid

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

PeterCat posted:

So, just to be clear, Desaad's name is a reference to the Marquis de Sade, right?

Yup.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Crespolini posted:

It's a wierd complaint when the snydercut is full of scenes where the heroes are shown to care about normal people. Not just more so than in the whedon version, but above average for the genre too, I'd argue.

He doesn't identify with the struggling single mother. It would be more accurate for this youtube critic to say: "Zack Snyder does not give a gently caress about me."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Grimdude posted:

I remember just laughing at the resolution.

I bet you didn't laugh and only thought of this later.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The whole scene is very discomforting. Basically the movies opening action scene is WW murdering these terrorists and then smiling about it to the kids. She leaves visible bloody marks on the walls where she uses her powers unrestrained to just crush skulls and vaporize the one guy with her gauntlets.

Kids cheer. Just a really weird tone.

when a literal greek god bursts through the door, violently murders ten people and turns to you for approval, you'd better loving cheer

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

When did Batman's arbitrary and nebulous no killing rule start applying to every superhero ever?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

e: ignore

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sethsez posted:

Meanwhile, Affleck has said he's not interested in doing Batman anymore

I thought Affleck was confirmed to return in the Flash movie?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Citation needed.

Rian had his vision and a lot of people didn't like it. They just fumbled the sequel completely not pleasing either side.

Sounds like BvS to Justice League to me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I think it's weird how often Ellis is brought up here despite her saying very little about Snyder's movies.

I think people get her mixed up with Maggie Mae Fish.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

McCloud posted:

I didn't interpret her as annoyed, the delivery comes across as amused at the obvious source of inspiration

It's obviously this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

it's depressing that the hellish dystopia of ten years ago is basically just boring old regular life now

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I mean, if we want a view into a perverted DCEU that's been sapped of all joy and creativity Josstice League is right there.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

A lot this situation brings to mind a Lexi Alexander interview I read the other day. To wit:

" They didn’t sit in a room together and say, “How can we upset Palestinians the most?” On the contrary, the conversation is often more like, “How can we write something that [for example] Black people really like?” and then it goes in the complete opposite direction. Take Green Book [the 2018 film about a Black musician’s white chauffeur]. Many of my Hollywood friends said, “Look, this is going to be a great movie that everybody will like.” Immediately, the trailer comes out and I see all of Black Twitter explode [the film generated controversy over its historical inaccuracy and white savior narrative]. But a lot of powerful people in Hollywood think they are very woke. "
(White Savior Cinema)

I bring this up because she said this while discussing another WB superhero flick, Wonder Woman 2.

That interview is great.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't think it's that ridiculous. The worst Marvel movies are just bland and boring rather than outright bad. But imo that's a worse crime than making complete stinkers. At least films like Catwoman are interesting in a what the gently caress kind of way.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

multijoe posted:

Perhaps 'bland and boring' is a type of badness in itself? If a trainwreck like WW84 is more fun to watch than Marvel's The Avengers Neoliberalism Man 4, in what way is it a worse film?

I guess it depends on whether you're looking at it from the perspective of a 'regular' moviegoer or from that of a debased window-licking sicko who gets off on seeing studios spend millions of dollars erasing CGI cat assholes.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Oh I get it, Marvel Studios is too mainstream now. That's the real issue, isn't ?

... well yeah kinda

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Parrotine posted:

BvS might be a bit of a tough sell, that's got to be one drat good cut for me to sit through that again. Snyder seems to be real hit-or-miss when it comes to his catalogue, but this Justice League revision has really made me consider that it may be more the fault of the studio interfering with his work rather than the man's directoral eye, cause when he hits they're full-on out of the park Grand Slams.

I loving hated the theatrical BvS and had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the Ultimate Ed, but it completely turned me around on it.

Turns out knowing why characters are doing stuff makes films better.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Batman's big brain strategy for the magic material from beyond the stars is to put it on a stick and inside a grenade launcher and hope he doesn't miss the guy who can fly faster than jets

They're not very smart characters

Why would Superman even try to dodge a projectile fired at him?

Like the guy is famously known for standing there while bullets harmlessly bounce off him, as shown two minutes ago in the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Burkion posted:

Sadly it wouldn't line up. Both Captain Marvel and Black Adam are predicated on the Old Gods being, well, old. They draw on the pantheons of old, so even though Black Adam is thousands of years old, he still draws on the mythology of those who came before.

Which is squarely where Darkseid dwells.

Robot Style wasn't talking about Black Adam, he said it'd be cool if Dwayne Johnson took part in the flashback battle against Darkseid. And I agree.