Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Necrothatcher posted:

Now up to 78% on RT. If this cracks 80% and stays there I reckon we're in with a decent chance of a sequel.

(I know RT is completely arbitrary, but WB execs take it seriously).

At 80% it doubles the score of Whedon's version lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Old Marvel comics referred to "ionic energy" a lot, there was a character called Wonder Man powered by it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jesus Christ, the audience score on RT for this thing is 97% with >5,000 reviews. :stare:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I've only had time to watch half an hour of this, and so far my overwhelming impression is that this is a movie and the theatrical version is dumb poo poo for assholes.

Like this has its quirks like SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTIONNNNNNNNNNNN and a kind of air of general weirdness that will alienate some people and I can understand it, but everything about it just oozes quality and attention to detail, and the 2017 version was just cheap garbage by a fuckup dickhead.

Snyder's movies are kind of hit or miss for me, but even if this isn't ultimately great once I hit the 4 hour mark, it's clearly so much better than the theatrical version that it's just mind boggling.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

So uh, I just started watching JL and it seems to be playing in 4:3 format. It’s not scrunched up, and it’s not my TV as other content is fine. Is this normal?

Yes. There is even a note about it at the start of the movie! :)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Its Chocolate posted:

so wait did the cube summon that bad guuy? did he come out of it? or did he come to take it?

It told him where it was and he came to take it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

I think it'll be fine to go in unprepared. The idiosyncratic, heterodox interpretations of Batman and Superman from the previous films are pretty much resolved within them, so it's a noticeably more traditional group of Superfriends in this one.

Yeah, I think I had my wife up to speed in like 30 seconds or less.

:j: "Who's that guy in the water?"
:v: "Lex Luthor, he made the monster they just showed killing Superman."
:j: "What's the weird robot thing there with him?"
:v: "They kind of haven't told us yet."
:j: "OK"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Its Chocolate posted:

so is the bad guy's name Steppenwolf or Darkseid or are those both names for the same guy?

Two names for two different dudes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The thing about this, and a lot of Whedon's pervy tendencies in movies, is that they usually make no sense in context.

So we're having a meeting to talk about the end of all life but also LOOK AT DAT rear end :quagmire: is just bizarre.

Even old James Bond movies that ran on casual 1960s sexism would have the "women being sexy" parts make some kind of sense when they happened in the movie, like it's not wild for James Bond walking on the beach in the summer to find a woman in a bathing suit or whatever. But even they wouldn't go "so you're about to be run over by a tank, and we're going to pick that moment to zoom the camera right into your crack and have Sean Connery face-plant in your chest."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I might be getting the stories about the set I've heard mixed up, but I heard Gal would not do this scene, and Whedon made her stunt double or something like that stand in, and she also didn't want to do it out of respect for Gal, and that's the person Whedon yelled at and threatened to end her career.

Again though I may be mixing stories.

I think that was the boob face plant scene she didn't want to do.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

This movie was terrible.

And you people are telling me the Whedon version is worse?

Do you people like this movie because of Stockholm syndrome? Is getting punched in the face for four hours that much better than getting kicked in the sick for two hours?

Let me put it this way: dumb nerds in an endless hateful online war between DC and Marvel movies pretty much dropped everything to agree it was poo poo. Including many Joss Whedon stans who thought he was going to save DC movies before they saw it.

The Whedon version was wildly worse, like it was barely a movie and had CGI out of a TV show from a decade ago. They tried to joke it up like a Marvel movie but it was worse than the worst Marvel movies at dumb quips. Almost all the action looked like rear end and the writing in general was cringey as hell. It even recycled a "whoops fell on her tits lol" joke from his last movie.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

She was dead weight the whole film. Not a good thing when about 20% of the movie is just her delivering exposition, describing what's happening on the screen in front of us.

really funny trying to reconcile this WW with the one in 84, especially the full bank scene where she was just putting dudes brains on the wall left and right. Same hero that defeated Maxwell Lord by saying "The secret is love" went out of her way to brutalize terrorists in front of a bunch of kids.

WW84 was super loving bad so it's good to ignore it.

The first WW movie she wasted fools too. Her first appearance was in BvS and she cut off an arm.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

I did not enjoy this movie. I generally don't like Snyder's films. I think he cuts a very good trailer, but I think he generally struggles telling a coherent story. On top of that, his DC interpretations are just completely joyless for me.

There was an interview with Whedon I read once that was his rules of scriptwriting. The one rule I remember was to get rid of your favorite scene. Snyder seems to take this in the opposite direction, where not only is he not getting rid of it, but he has ten, and he doesn't care how it fits into the greater scope of the story.

The joylessness is coming from inside the viewer!

Also Whedon's version of the same drat movie was absolutely poo poo lol

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 20, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Augus posted:

If Whedon’s rule of filmmaking is “cut out your favorite scene” then why didn’t he cut the pratfall onto Wonder Woman’s cleavage

He put it in back to back movies haha

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

But why does he look exactly like Thanos?

Thanos was a copy of Darkseid.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Not gonna lie, I just find this style of snark loving exhausting no matter what the topic is.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They're almost entirely positive about the snyder cut vs the theatrical though.

They really, really hate Whedon's additions and keep joking how it cost X MILLION DOLLARS for each bad joke.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Equeen posted:

sigh... guess i have to watch the video if they rightfully poo poo on whedon.

It's funny, they really poo poo on him a lot.

They seem to only really dislike the Snyder Cut's epilogue set after they win the battle and it's the post apocalyptic thing and the Joker is there that's really a big post-credits teaser

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

They essentially recant nothing about their MoS/BvS opinions, but also accurately poo poo on every change from the Snyder Cut to the theatrical.

e: It's almost like they have a fixed threshold for (stylistic, mostly) "gloom" in comic book movies, and since the Snyder Cut was a little lighter it became disproportionately more accessible for them.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 22, 2021

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I really don't get the take that Man of Steel is excessively GRIMDARK in particular. It's almost all in broad daylight, good beats evil, the hero gets the girl, humanity is largely shown in a positive way. The bad guys are militaristic space eugenicists so it's not like they *shouldn't* gently caress off forever either.

I do think the final battle runs on too long but Superman tries to take the fight into SPACE and people are bitching he doesn't try to prevent casualties?

BvS being grim I at least get from the aesthetic and them killing Superman at the end. But MoS?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Oh poo poo, everyone get ready to change their opinion.

They basically agree with the thread about ZSJL vs the Whedon version lol :v:

Still hate BvS tho :iiam:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Wish I was any good with photoshop because lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Asteroid Alert posted:

I'm gonna watch the Whedon cut tonight. Change my mind.

Nah, go for it.

It really sucks though.

Like RLM implicitly want every super hero movie to be a copy-paste of the MCU template and even they were still like "LOL EVERY WHEDON CHANGE WAS DUMB poo poo, X MILLION DOLLARS PER HACK JOKE WTF LOL"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Equeen posted:

Then who is it Zack???

ERADICATOR

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I honestly didn't think they'd do the "what if man of steel was in color???" meme, but the Whedon Cut confirms exactly that.

This particular image was shot by Snyder, but was only used in the Whedon cut. It was very easy to approximate the Snyder Cut look:

Again, for the most part, they literally just cranked up the saturation and cut the contrast.

Marvel's "house style" forever seemed to be graded so there was no actual blacks, just a dark gray as the darkest color.

Whedon just extended that to editing the non-white characters mostly out of the movie.

:heritage:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Burkion posted:

fixed that for you

That Bechamel is a real motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's still kind of dancing around the really scary outcome, which is just Superman with the moral compass of an American boy from Kansas. :v:

All the downsides of the Deep South but also the food is worse and you freeze your nuts off in the winter.