Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

2house2fly posted:

I had a laugh at this one:

https://twitter.com/Struggler2Dark/status/1366196519850946560

yeah man the demigod from outer space doesn't talk like a normal person. good catch.

I don’t particularly care about all this anti-snyderverse stuff but lol compare this to any Quentin Tarantino film and BvS becomes a kitchen sink drama

:Edit: actually a bit annoyed because of all these really do make sense in context

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

well why not posted:

I want MCU characters to talk like real world counterparts. So Tony Stark should adopt Elon Musks' ridiculous affected accent and stammering rambles about internet memes.

I don’t really know how that would work - Elon already thinks he’s Stark and is trying to do his best impression of him

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Is there anyone here who loved the Dark Knight trilogy but at one point it sort of just clicked they hated the last two? I don’t have any sort of revelatory message - just something about the films comes together into seeming off and wrong. Most of the characters and actors are good but put together I just do not like what they’re trying to say, or even the action sequences, or whatever message it’s trying to sell. Even so I still like Bale Batman

Batman begins is still brilliant however.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Darko posted:

I guess that's what happens when Wonder Woman 1984 randomly uses A Beautiful Lie for no reason.

Huh, they did what?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Remember as Joel Schumacher wisely said, "they're comic books, not tragic books".

okay but it's a film

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I remember Man of Steel trailer 3 and the extreme "trailer-ability" of Snyder's style. That was cool.

Also LMAO at the idea of Dark Knight Rises being the "schlocky" one.

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I remember seeing all the other trailers in the cinema at some point and almost being offended at how boring it looked. Like it was just a rerun of superman returns.

Then, this trailer came up and I thought “oh gently caress I’m definitely watching this”

https://youtu.be/NlOF03DUoWc

And I got what I wanted, which was a two hour and change fight sequence against space nazis, and an incredibly deep drum heavy looping soundtrack. I do appreciate all the other world building and slower sequences a lot more with time but that is absolutely how you hook a comic book movie.

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 4, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Pirate Jet posted:

https://twitter.com/BatmanvSuperman/status/1367613467805569024

“Expanded color” worries me a bit, didn’t they already brighten everything on the digital release?

I’m sure that just means a better colour gamut to reducing visible banding and increase the detail in the blacks and whites. Basically making the HDR actually work.

Some of the explosions are very very orange in the film and I would guess that grading one part of the scene had that knock on effect because there there just literally wasn’t enough bandwidth to prevent that kind of bleeding.

Source: I used photoshop as a kid 15 years ago

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I watched Jupiter Ascending because it was mentioned so often in this thread.

I uh...that was certainly a lot of nonsense. But I suppose you have to appreciate going all in on a YA version of Dune (crossed with Harry Potter, hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, twilight, Star Wars etc).

I’m still wondering on what service I’m going to be seeing Justice League in the UK. NowTV maybe?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Sounds like Laurence Fishburne talking at one point, for some reason

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

RE the voice in the cyborg trailer, I want Laurence Fishburne telling a new kid he is the god of computers and I don’t care what contrivances are needed to make it happen.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The epilogue is called WHAT

I have no idea why but when I read it I heard in my head 'brother from another mother'

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

All those quotes just sound dull until you imagine Shannon’s eyeball popping out and it’s half screamed

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Guys I'm excited to watch the super-hero punch people film. If it's marginally better than the original then I suppose it'll all be worth it. Can't wait for it to be grim and maudlin.

The only thing I'm disappointed about it Hanz Zimmer isn't on this :(

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Spider-Man literally says "activate kill mode"

I'm pretty sure every single Avenger has murdered multiple people (/sentient alien persons) in cold blood, but it's okay because there's a snappy quip going along with it - Spider-man might be the only one who hasn't in the films

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I was never one of those people who even thought the director's cut would ever come out (and if it did, it would be years later as black and white, unfinished scenes with storyboards intercut on youtube) but as much as I LOVE batman v superman and MOS I am going to remain skeptical, if only for my own sanity.

I remember hearing it was being released and just assumed it would be as mentioned above, then a little disappointed it'd be released as a 4 part series. But I was bowled over to hear it would be a loving four hour movie of navel-gazing, slow-mo, big music morose god beings acting sad.

And I'm going to assume it's nothing like that, because I then I can't get disappointed.

Stable at 75% on RT with 101 reviews - that's a big wow considering the amount of reviewers who chose not give it the time of day before hand (and I'm not being a conspiracy chud about that)

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 15, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Despite a single "misstep" with BvS,

:colbert: Sir or Madam you're going to have to explain yourself or leave

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

teagone posted:

The VF article is a pro-click for anyone who hasn't read it, even if it does take some lame potshots at fan toxicity instead of spotlighting what Snyder Cut fans have done for the AFSP https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/the-true-story-of-justice-league-snyder-cut

I do think it's important to point out there were a lot of utter weirdo freaks involved with it and you shouldn't either ignore it or give an 'all sides are bad' response, but they didn't mention (as far as I read) in that article that snyder y'know, condemned a lot of it

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

This is me.

"Misstep" in quotes for a reason.

Oh.

Well that's certainly an op delivers scenario

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

teagone posted:

Read further:

Ah thanks,

confused that article with another (more unfair) I'd already read

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

McCloud posted:

Challenging in the sense that the audiences preconceptions are challenged. Man of Steel famously features massive collateral damage due to the metropolis fight, and people reacted harshly to this because they are used to sanitized violence where no one but the bad guys get hurt.

The audience is fine with this

https://twitter.com/CBMshots/status/1351140908272594953?s=20

because "no one got hurt", but they freak the gently caress out over this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTxZl_ffcv0

because oh my gosh knocking villains through buildings has consequences who could have known!!

It's jarring and unsettling. That's an example of what i mean

Edit: That youtube link is proclick btw, it edits the metropolis segment from MoS and BvS together and it looks smooth af

That reminds me that you can find the full motion picture score (not just the OST) on youtube

MOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPhBW1NcMRM

BVS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9BL59uiAz8

They are just phenomenally good. A massive - possibly even the biggest - part of why I love these films

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

KVeezy3 posted:

Yes, because then Dr. Strange would have no way to get Tony killed in that timeline.

Exactly. When Tony asks how many do 'we' win, Strange is replying where 'we' is exclusive of Tony because he hates him and wants him loving dead. Half of all live in the universe missing for five years is a decent trade to have Tony dead in all words.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

josh04 posted:

Each movie should have a 20% higher RT score than the last.

Alvin and the chipmunks: Irate in Iran at 560% on RT

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Total Meatlove posted:

Robbie Collin gave it 5/5 in the Telegraph, it’s starting to get some positive reviews in the UK

That's ludicrous, from the Torygraphy of all places. ooh I can't wait

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

And 4/5 from Peter Bradshaw. The Snyder Cut is healing the Remain/Leave divide.

Annoyingly, Sky has exclusive rights in the UK so it's 720p and stereo via NowTV if you don't have Sky installed (and even the version on Sky will probably lack HDR). I'm not a big brain business executive but it seems like giving people only one way to see this film at its best until the Blu-ray/wider VOD release in a few months is a bad decision (unless Sky paid a lot for it).

ugh what? I know that NowTV is bad but it can't be 720p can it? Why make it higher quality to torrent??

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I am leaving this thread until I finally get a chance to watch it! 4 hours is a very big ask to take over the television during a work day...GOD SPEED GOONS

:edit:

Bogus Adventure posted:

Who looks more intimidating/badass? It's always going to be Uxas.

While I haven't seen Darkseid in motion yet, I have to say Thanos was a villain who was too good for the MCU. In infinity war at least he is so incredibly well animated and Brolin just does an amazing job of making him threatening and terrifying without going down the 'evil for no good reason mustache twirling' route. I have a feeling I'll still prefer Thanos after this

other edit:

Looks like it's locked in now at 78% on RT

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 18, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Just finally saw it.

Some individual things without much spoilers:

Stopped noticing it was 4:3 literally minutes in. I can imagine depending on certain TVs it would be a nightmare but I’m on a 43 inch and I just...forgot about it until I saw posts here.

The film makes so so so much more sense now. The cyborg parts in particular are far more meaningful and well, heartfelt.

Wonder Woman is far more hideously aggressive which fits her comic book persona a lot more. And are much more kinetically impressive horribly violent.

Batman is still a bit useless in a fight but nowhere near as useless as the original.

The music is much better and has a lot of wonderful callbacks but still isn’t anywhere near as good as the zimmer OSTs, which is a shame.

This sets up Flashpoint (and the now defunct sequels) extremely well.

Aquaman is done dirtiest in this - there isn’t that much to him here.

It’s so much more violent.

And I can’t believe I’m saying this...I am fully on board with the revised Leto interpretation of the Joker.

Lastly Amy Adams is an incredibly good actor and she really should’ve had more to do in this. Lois Lane should be a more important character and I’m disappointed she wasn’t used other than as a plot device. Same goes for Martha Kent. Really felt that was too strange.

Honestly for someone who watched the whedon version the best parts are where I thought it would be the same but it turned out differently.

:edit: I watched it on NowTV in the UK and it was far better quality than I expected but at maybe three or four points it was as if the power just cut out to the TV. It went black for a second and then continued on. Did anyone else have this?

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 19, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

ungulateman posted:

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. The very first scene we get with him is his origin. It's a complete mini-narrative that sets up who he is, how his powers work, and what he's like. We didn't need an explanation of how he came in contact with the Speed Force for the first time or whatever.

Tbf I’ve never been a comic reader but have read a lot about them and still have no idea how the flash (or any flashes) got their power. I don’t think it’s very important but maybe a hint to it would be nice

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

does Diana's lasso compel honesty or literal truth-telling

As far as I can tell it’s honesty. If you have the wrong information, you’ll tell that, rather than what factually true.

In the beginning the terrorist lad says “she’s too late” which is what any normal person would believe.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah. film needed like an island full of women or something.

I know it’s somewhat facetious questions but that’s a facetious answer. There really weren’t a lot of women in the film who’s lines of dialogue weren’t “OOUUAAGGG”. Was genuinely annoyed that the scene between Martha and Lois wasn’t actually between them

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Steppenwolf legitimately looked exactly like one of my cats at several points

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Was gonna post saying I'm on board with the Leto joker and now it's just news to me links of him being a paedo so I'm just gonna...try to think of something

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GoldenGun posted:

The only review that counts is here at last:

https://twitter.com/3xchair/status/1372923373743964170

In other news, it turns out that the “I tried” sign was a Whedon addition after all.

I’m not American is the National Review a fash site or am I mixing it up it with something else

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

The final flash scene ruled, along with his bizarre new theme. In retrospect holy god that was a dark almost ending though. I can’t wait to watch this again when I haven’t been drinking whisky throughout the whole film. It’ll be like watching it for the first time twice

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

pospysyl posted:

Yoo, when the Flash runs so fast he rewrites reality and Junkie XL just goes nuts on the score... I would have killed to see that in theaters.

That theme is so so good I just wish there was more of it. It’s funny that in the (terrible) Danny elf man score Flash’s theme was the best and it’s the same again in this score. It’s the strangest mix of Wonder Woman’s style with this hinting of the the frightening, unbelievable, overwhelming power of what the Flash can unleash when he’s at his peak.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Piell posted:

Tubes should have Boomed louder, it's barely a boom at all

This is a real genuine thought I had during the film. It is called a BOOM tube to be fair

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

I got excited when Captain America finally lifted mjolnir but I would say because I like captain America because he is so boringly moral. It just spoke to how any one good person can be a hero.

Then he loving ultra-combo’d Thanos and it was just...cool?

I can totally understand how this stuff can make people tear up watching it. Most of these people literally grew up with it and had their (safe, deferred post 9/11 climate change constant terrorism) ‘dreams’ realised. I can’t find the post even if it’s a couple pages back but it is a bit cruel to call someone stupid for doing so.

My kryptonite is seeing men cry on screen for platonic relationships. And it’s never women, which I can only guess is either 1)subconscious misogyny despite how much I don’t want to say that 2)that there’s been no convincingly written female platonic relationships with pathos that I have, as an individual, seen on screen. It’s more likely 1 and 2.

I deviated horribly from my initial point which I’ve forgotten.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Roman posted:

I still suspect Fishburne's Perry White knows Clark is Superman and would just keep up the act so he can hire Clark back and keep calling him a nerd and giving him poo poo

I mean, imagine the ego trip knowing you’re superman’s boss, even if you’re a good person

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Funnily enough by complete accident the next movie I saw the day after JS was First Reformed which is also 4:3 and exactly like JS I didn’t notice the black bars after 2 minutes. It really suits the film

Gatts posted:

The next X-Men movie should have an X aspect ratio and all movement should be contained within it.

:discourse:

The next avengers should be an aspect ratio that is just a silhouette of a bulging carton of popcorn and the next Justice League (inshallah) should be in the shape of Lois Lane’s molten skeletal corpse

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 21, 2021

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I hope one day the goon obsession with RLM will end regardless of their opinions on specific movies, it's kind of a bad look to still be watching them if you've ever seen their masks fully slip.

Whats the problem with them? I watched the phantom menace video that got them popular yeearrs ago but couldn't really be bothered to watch anything else.

I'm going to just guess that as youtube stars they're all skeezy creeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Crespolini posted:

I love this, and stuff like the crowd reaching out to touch Superman in BvS

Has this been a thing in superhero movies? At the very least there should be cults forming around Thor, surely

I don't know if this is the thing you're in fact referring to but in one the spider-man films there's a building in the background that says 'the korean church of asguard'