Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LifeSunDeath posted:

what even is sauce

That's basically how they make fruit roll-ups, except with fruit juice concentrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
fruit leather yum yum

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

LifeSunDeath posted:

what even is sauce

honestly would and think I might try sometime

not sure what I'd use the sauce slices for but I like the idea of them

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

slap one of those on a grilled cheese

not with ketchup tho, like tomato basil

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

hawowanlawow posted:

slap one of those on a grilled cheese

not with ketchup tho, like tomato basil

How about dehydrated soups, then take slices of like 5 different soups and make a sandwich.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Brb starting my bloody Mary fruit leather business where you're meant to dunk them in your hiking vodka for a back country pick me up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bloody Mary by the foot would rule.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Six feet of bloody Mary.

For you!

Not them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I would eat margaritas by the foot

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

zedprime posted:

Brb starting my bloody Mary fruit leather business where you're meant to dunk them in your hiking vodka for a back country pick me up.
Add a dusting of that powdered alcohol stuff.
Make adult dunkaroos.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Weed dunkaroos, or "dankaroos"

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Weed dunkaroos, or "dankaroos"

https://www.hero4hirecreative.com/dankaroos

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

*desperately traces over this with Harold's purple crayon*

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Poopelyse posted:

also, here's a little article about those ridiculous food tiktok videos. apparently they are all funded by some guy named Rick Lax. I remember a few years ago the videos going around of him doing magic tricks where he knows exactly what number you get at the end of some dumb adding and subtracting math thing. The videos were always him sitting silently in a coffee shop and giving instructions written on a piece of paper.

https://omr.com/en/trash-video-facebook-watch/

I just lurk this v. good thread but wanted to say thanks for posting the link. I hate these videos with a passion. Everything from what they do to the way they talk makes me want to rip my fingers off. I am in no way surprised Rick Lax is behind them, the fuckin creep

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

Six feet of bloody Mary.

For you!

Not them.

NO WAY JOSE

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

At least she attempted to mix the sauce into the spaghetti at the end. Places that serve the sauce in the middle surrounded by bland unflavoured spaghetti annoy me. Mixing it on a plate with a dinner fork is not ideal. Mix that poo poo up in the saucepan in the kitchen until every noodle has been adequately covered in sauce.

Hard agree, you want every noodle properly coated in sauce

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

drrockso20 posted:

Hard agree, you want every noodle properly coated in sauce

Maybe I've just been awake too long, but I can't tell whether you're making a joke and my mind keeps blundering into "lost in the sauce" and "noodle = :flaccid: = period sex joke"

I'm pretty sure you're not making a joke, because I'm not making any out of those weird connections. So working off that assumption, I also agree a noodle should be sauced.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Get some sleep.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

a cyborg mug posted:

I just lurk this v. good thread but wanted to say thanks for posting the link. I hate these videos with a passion. Everything from what they do to the way they talk makes me want to rip my fingers off. I am in no way surprised Rick Lax is behind them, the fuckin creep

Rick Lax
Richard Lax
Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka
Rich Lowtax
Lowtax

:thunk:

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Sirotan posted:

Huh, have never seen those before and looks like it's mostly a Texas thing? Found someone's blog where they tried to recreate then from scratch and it does sound really good: https://www.homesicktexan.com/2010/03/ranch-style-beans-recipe.html

Growing up, my Dad would buy them from Costco but they're now available in grocery stores/big box stores at least here in Arizona. Ranch style beans and Bush's vegetarian baked beans were a staple in my family, although my Mom would always drain off the liquid from Bush's because she didn't like too much sauce.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aardvark! posted:

i opened my friends fridge once and found 3 absolutely full gallon ziplock bags of sauced spaghetti. i dont know why but the sight of a ziplock bag full of spaghetti is just inherently funny

yeah i'm lolling

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Rick Lax
Richard Lax
Richard “Lowtax” Kyanka
Rich Lowtax
Lowtax

:thunk:

:eyepop:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

So because food waste exists at some other points of the chain, wasting food at home is unimportant? This is a pretty poo poo take, especially given that evidently these idiots are encouraging other idiots to do the same thing, exacerbating what is already a huge problem with domestic food waste.

If you use food to produce content for money that isn't wasting food, it is using food for something other than eating, in much the same way that cooking shows often have food in multiple stages of preparation that I highly doubt anybody eats.

You can argue that the content is stupid or bad but the use of food for something you do not want it to be used for is the result of a social system that pays people to do that. And I think is slightly less egregious than the vast quantities of food that are destroyed to manufacture scarcity.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Cooking shows have direct and myriad positive benefits, many of them contributing to improving people's diet and reducing their reliance on fast food/processed/frozen junk, and also reducing their food waste as they understand the ingredients in their fridge a lot better. Videos of people smashing food about the place made solely for clicks do not.

And it isn't an either/or thing - evidently there's a huge problem with food waste across the industry. Why does this negate the need for individual people to be more conscientious about what they buy and throw away, when 30% of all food bought in the UK ends up in the bin? There was a poster a few pages ago who said 'oh we can't change people's behaviour' - why the gently caress not? A few generations ago our diets and habits were totally different, with many more people composting and keeping allotments and growing poo poo in their gardens etc. It's only very recently in the grand scheme of things that we've become lazy as gently caress and accustomed to the convenience of supermarket shopping, and we can already see there's a strong movement to get back to a more environmentally aware approach. This should be applauded and encouraged and not dismissed with 'oh its pointless if big business doesn't change'.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Butterfly Valley posted:

Cooking shows have direct and myriad positive benefits, many of them contributing to improving people's diet and reducing their reliance on fast food/processed/frozen junk, and also reducing their food waste as they understand the ingredients in their fridge a lot better.
Tell that to the carrots I bought like 2.5 weeks ago that have just been remembered.

Or the potatoes on top of the fridge that uh it's a good thing it's trash day

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's only very recently in the grand scheme of things that we've become lazy as gently caress and accustomed to the convenience of supermarket shopping

Funny way of describing time poverty and lack of access to space for growing, both caused by capitalist exploitation and landlordism. But ok.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Blacknose posted:

quote:

It's only very recently in the grand scheme of things that we've become lazy as gently caress and accustomed to the convenience of supermarket shopping
Funny way of describing time poverty and lack of access to space for growing, both caused by capitalist exploitation and landlordism. But ok.
You aren't wrong, but you're definitely wrong for deliberately cropping to that little bit in your attempt to make a point.

Unless somehow everyone's going to have an acre of arable land under fully automated gay space communism. anyway

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Excuse me, it will be gay space communism, we will have an acre of hydroponic beds.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Gay space communism can give me as much arable land as it wants, I refuse to grow as much as a single tomato.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Dareon posted:

Excuse me, it will be gay space communism, we will have an acre of hydroponic beds.
Fully automated, though, so who cares whose space it is as long as the production is evenly distributed?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Mymla posted:

Gay space communism can give me as much arable land as it wants, I refuse to grow as much as a single tomato.
buddy, let me tell you about the transferable knowledge that comes with figuring out how to grow tomatoes

it's weed lmao

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

e:

Dareon has a new favorite as of 13:09 on May 12, 2021

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

FFT posted:

You aren't wrong, but you're definitely wrong for deliberately cropping to that little bit in your attempt to make a point.

Unless somehow everyone's going to have an acre of arable land under fully automated gay space communism. anyway

Yes, they will.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

Blacknose posted:

Yes, they will.

neat!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh gently caress off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

here's a strong movement to get back to a more environmentally aware approach. This should be applauded and encouraged and not dismissed with 'oh its pointless if big business doesn't change'.

The lion's share of that is also driven by big business attempting to commodify environmentalism by getting you to buy greenwashed products :v:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i notice there is a lot of cross over between this thread and the americana.jpg thread. perhaps we should be questioning our life choices.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Something about the image quality reminds me of the cave diving "You're gonna die here, no treasure" sign.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of cooking shows have started to insert statements on how they do actually eat the food, which sure they could just be lying, but between access to fridges and having a bunch of film crew people around who are ravenous for free food it seems easily possible. Youtubers with smaller production crews are probably much less likely to have enough mouths to deal with what they made (especially if they're making stupid huge amounts of food) but I wouldn't blanketly assume that all video food goes uneaten.

The only food that definitely goes uneaten is the fancy photography food that does poo poo like using hot glue or a microwaved tampon to create a steam effect or using motor oil for maple syrup. That and fraudulent food hack videos that are using tricks that don't work so obviously the stuff they use at the beginning doesn't work.

And then there's also waste that will inevitably come from learning to cook or trying experiments, but you gotta just make your peace with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

There’s more than enough food to feed everybody in the world, it just isn’t getting to the right people. Starvation is not a problem because of a lack of resources, it is a problem because of inadequate resource distribution