Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Johnny Truant posted:

is cereal a salad, then?

At least one fresh ingredient :colbert:

If you add milk, it's a soup or a stew.

Skip the milk and add enough fresh fruit and it becomes a salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Explodey pot is def a pressure cooker. A puny can of condensed milk could blow the lid off the pot, but not make it embed itself in the ceiling.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

:goonsay:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The meat lobby recently tried to make it illegal to call meatless products 'burgers', 'sausages', 'steaks' etc in the EU. It's was eventually shot down by the EU parliament. Burger, sausage and steak are shapes, meat or no meat.

However, the dairy lobby got throught that you can't called plant based foods 'milk, 'butter', 'yogurt'. Guess peanut butter got grandfathered in.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Milk, butter and yogurt are textures, not content.

I'd like them to just label it by what it's made from, like actually writing out 'cow butter' or 'oat milk'.

Also lol if you don't think the meat and dairy lobbys are a huge political, environmental and financial disaster.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Tiggum posted:

When I was younger, it seemed like at just about every barbecue there were these vege burgers that weren't meant to be fake meat, they were just discs of smushed vegetables held together by some kind of culinary magic. Perhaps eggs?

They’re still around, but tend to be agressively meh. Pretty much a breaded puck of peas (always peas) and some other vegetables, held together with mashed potato.

They aren’t around as much because burger technology have advanced a lot in just the few last years. Meat free burgers are good now, and when you’re burgin’, breaded mash isn’t that satisfying.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

no ring 2/5

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

more falafel please posted:

yeah, tomatillos are much closer related to gooseberries than they are to tomatoes.

Gooseberrier are close related to black and red currants, they’re both in the genus Ribes and grow on thorny bushes.

Tomatillo and cape gooseberries are both in the genus Physalis and grow on vines. They are related to potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Eh, Philippe?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There's many kinds of Swedish rye bread and rye blends that are sweetened with molasses and often flavored with aniseed and fennel. It's pretty great.

There are some supermarket breads that are very sweet, and the Norwegians are super smug about "that terrible sweet Swedish bread".

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

To be clear the generic Wonderbread poo poo in the US is bad. But any grocery store has like, fifty types of packaged bread and almost always has an in-house bakery that produces fresh stuff. Also they often sell parbaked loaves that you can bring home and toss in the oven for 15 minutes to finish, those are usually pretty good.

If you want a real trip look up Korean garlic bread.

I was a postdoc in Ohio (:negative:), and even at Giant Eagle, you could get good bread. The quality difference between packaged supermarket bread and deli/bakery/homemade bread is pretty much the same between Euro and US bread.

An interesting thing I head on some ´podcast is that when Wonderbread was launched, it was seen as a great pure high quality bread. Bread from small bakeries at the time were often adulterated with random filler stuff, could be as bad as sawdust or chalk, and bakeries were often full of rats and roaches. On wonderbread, you could read the ingredients on the bag, and it was made in a modern clean factory, and for that reason safe and nutritious.

fake edit: could have been this podcast: https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/good-bread/

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Swedes will understand why this is a terrible post by the orange juice company. This combination is about as bad as orange juice and toothpaste.

axolotl farmer has a new favorite as of 09:23 on Apr 14, 2021

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Kaviar is great on a sandwich, goes with eggs, but my favorite kaviar sandwich is crisp bread, butter, sliced potatoes, kaviar and chives.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

I am willing to die on kaviar hill :sweden:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is kaviar like krab in that it is legally distinct from the thing it sounds like?

France or something raised a stink about it when Sweden joined the EU, but we still get to call our fish roe paste kaviar with a k.

It’s got smoked and salted cod roe, but also potatoes, sugar, tomato paste and seasonings.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Snack pack from the Dimensional Vortex Café

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

baw posted:

tag urself im brathering

I'm the other Matjessalat

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Any idea on what Berkshire sauce is? Something HP-ish?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Dareon posted:

a sandwich consisting of nothing but mass quantities of meat

MY HEALTHY PALEOWICH :argh:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Bell pepper, watermelon, eggplant, chili pepper, pumpkin and cucumber.

Raspberries and blackberries are a compound of drupes, strawberries are pseudofruits and the true fruits of the strawberries are the seeds (that are botanical nuts) on the outside.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The proest condiment for any kind of battered fish is Danish remoulade: mayo with chopped pickles, onion, capers and curry.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Roast Beef's got to step up his cooking game

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

it's nearly ten years old and needs a ton of mods to be enjoyable?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Phy posted:

Thees ees no so bad, eh, Philippe?

Achewood was so good :unsmith:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I once made something called a Flying Jacob which is like a banana, chicken, bacon, and peanut casserole type deal. It sounds and looks atrocious but tasted really good.

Look at this monstrosity

This dish was invented in the 1970s in Sweden. It’s one of those very unfashionable dishes that most people shamefully love. It’s something that a male student will cook for his first dinner date in his first apartment, or a family will celebrate a kid turning 11 with.

Also, Emmy made it

https://youtu.be/fnTZijQp57E

Bonus Emmy getting som actual Gros Michel bananas.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

It's pizza pasta, and it is in a box.

Are you getting delivery?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Found some shrimp on randomwaffle

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

That’s bread for making a landgång :sweden:

Imagine a smörgåsbord, but a sandwich.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

:siren: FLYING JACOB :siren:

Here's the recipe I used: Flygande Jacob (Flying Jacob)

A few weird things about that recipe. Flygande Jacob should have Heinz Chlili Sauce, kind of a spicer, less watery ketchup. (Thai) Sweet Chili sauce is just wrong. Curry ketchup was a good choice.

Flygande Jacob is supposed to be baked in the oven like a casserole. This recipe turns it into a stew :confused:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

That's not pilk!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Why is there a moldy hockey puck on that burger?

that's what you get if you order a veggie burger at places that charge 15$+ for a burger and fries. ye olde vegetable patty, a sad puck of mashed potatoes and steamed peas and carrots, usually deep fried. buy a bag of frozen ones, and you don't have to order more because anyone who eats one won't come back.

vegetarian technology has moved to actually tasty plant based burgers, but old chefs set in their beefy ways have not payed attention.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Content, at my hospital's cafeteria:

BEEF TORNADO would be a decent username

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

ah a nice tall refreshing pint of Guinness don't mind if i do- aaauuuugh

https://twitter.com/weekirsty0/status/1428053869968470017?s=20

I'll have the 'Pint-o-pie' with wilted greens, and my friend here would like to try the Zombie Hand with some russets, please.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Underwater Shoe posted:

I tried to figure out the zombie hand and instead… this…

Pretty sure the zombie hand is an entire parsnip coated in sauce. The parsinps in the store are usually carrot shaped, but bespoke parsnips look like this:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Zywiec supremacy

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Cooking With Dog ripoff looking terrible :mad:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh, Deep Dream has such sights to show you

Can we make this picture the thread title?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The caption was "So how is your morning going?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

check yo'self before yo shrek yo'self