Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CannonFodder posted:

Even in the last pages of the old thread we got this gem of audience participation:

I would love more of this stuff.

I definitely deflated the egg whites a little at some point, so the cake was a little dense, the blackberry whipped cream was delicious and made up for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Kenning posted:

It's fine enough, but she definitely has extremely chaotic energy. It's only a matter of time.

It's like she's learning to cook 100% through empirical study, like she never read a recipe in her life.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Bloop posted:

No but it might make you a psychopath

https://youtu.be/KDjBEY_3qCI

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Note how all of those have qualifiers as part of the name because while they have salad in the name, they are clearly a different genre of dish from normal salad, and the names are more colloquialism than a grand redefinition of the term. Much like how "pennsylvania dutch" as a qualifier indicates people who have nothing to do with the Netherlands, or how "baking soda" isn't something that you drink out of a can.

If you toss in some chicken with lettuce and tomatoes and croutons, it's still definitely not the same substance as "chicken salad" which has different properties. On a restaurant menu, one's under the "salad" section while the other's under "sides". They have different places in the food world with different nutritional properties.

But that conceit falls apart if you ask for, say, a chili dog salad.

Not a mayo in sight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Treguna Mekoides posted:

I've lurked long enough. "Mussels with buckwheat noodles." I'm sure it's tastier than it looks...

(100%) Buckwheat noodles just kinda look like that, and put off an insane amount of glorp. They taste fine though, definitely not as texturally pleasing as a more conventional nood.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

https://youtu.be/6mn9mx_jg7Q

To whet your appetite, a preview.

Also this thread made me make chili dogs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not making homemade chili for chili dogs.

I'm also not eating pure canned meat glorp.

Also my homemade chili is 2/1 beans/meat, because beans are an excellent source of fiber and nutrients. And chili con carne is gross.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's just sugar, egg whites, and vanilla with a lot air whipped in. It's not that weird as a concept.

It's basically just an unsettling meringue.

I'm leaving that autocorrect error in there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

dog nougat posted:

I hope this is fake :cry::barf:

It's just like a cheap lovely pastie, also I have distinct memories of eating taco flavored beef popovers like that, I think my mom made them?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

empty sea posted:

I'd rather eat the taco ones with some hot sauce than the pbj ones. They're too bland and boring for me as an adult with way too much time to spend on the jam aisle and heathy bread aisle.

Basically I'm old af now and I love weird jellies and jams on mine and crunchy pb with bread with lots of seeds and nuts. A good pbj should be sweet, tangy or spicy from the jam, nutty with the pb and with lots of supportive texture from the bread IMO.

A peach habanero jelly, crunchy peanut butter and some good whole wheat bread with grains is loving amazing. Same with some good apple butter or blackberry jam or some really tart marmalade.

PBJs are good as gently caress when you have a bit of money to spend on better ingredients. Don't buy frozen bland bullshit.

I looked up how much sugar uncrustables have, because I've been stranded in my office a couple times and they were the only "real" food available, and they made my teeth hurt from how sweet they were.

I'm really surprised they're only 28g carbs and 10g added sugar.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I haven't seen the scoops for bulk candy in like 20 years.

Growing up there was a local grocery store with a bulk candy section right next to the Good movie theater, which was a tactical mistake by the theater. We'd get dressed up in our "movie clothes" which happened to be absurdly baggy pants (which were somewhat the style at the time) and voluminous coats with many internal pockets.

E:

Aardvark! posted:

I haven't seen it and I wish it had stayed that way :catstare:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Helith posted:

You can take more than one if you need to.

That's kinda a huge deal for allergen cross-contamination.

But I'd imagine you don't shop at those places anyway if that's a concern.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

I tried natto once, for curiosity’s sake.

Never again.

I enjoyed it, it's pleasantly nutty.

It does look bizarre and the firm texture of the bean with the surrounding slimyness is a little off putting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Curry sauce? gently caress off

Give me curry sauce on the fries, white sauce and hot sauce on the meat and I'll eat that in one sitting.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThhfLvR4Wo8

---

Not an image, but a minor tale of AFP. I entered a contest last night; the prize is a $100 gift card accepted by several local restaurants/businesses. I was going down the list of participating places, and... wait. What?

Doner kebab? DONER KEBAB? DONER KEBAB?! I've had the opportunity to get try this HSP thing I'm always reading about, right here in my city, and no one ever told me?!

I was excited --- dare I say, aroused, even. I eagerly looked up the name of the place and...

"Permanently Closed", Google tells me.

:flaccid:

It's such a shame that kebab(gyro) places are so sparse in the US, it's really hard to find outside of major cities. There's exactly 1 near me, and it's a 30 minute detour from work, so I almost never get it, and the thread always makes me crave that sweet, sweet ground beef/lamb mix when it talks about kebab.

I have to go to my GF's to check on her cats today, and there's a shop I just found up the street, gonna get my fix.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

quote:

that left every oesophagus choked with admiration.

That is a masterful turn of phrase.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, all the high-volume kebab shops I've been to in the UK have a dude tending to and slicing the eponymous kebabs into containers, they just dish up too many lbs of deliciously spiced solidified meat slurry an hour for individual slicing to be practicable, the meat definitely suffers for it though, ends up both more dry and greasy then when it's fresh sliced off the kebab, most West Coast US Gyro places tend to do fresh slices, and also go with more fresh veggies, and a yogurt based tzatziki sauce instead of a mayo based garlic sauce, hot sauce not an option.

Food carts in NY, which are the closest thing to a "kebab shop" are more true to the "digging meat strips out of grease" model.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What do they look like before they hatch?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm not a vegetarian, but I like substituting plant based meals for meat for at least half my meals, and I always just roll my eyes at the derails.

Anyways, there's this little gastropub in this lovely little town on the Olympic Peninsula that has the best black bean burger ever, huge and hearty and moist, it doesn't taste like meat obviously, but it's so rich and savory you don't care, I wish I could get their recipe.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BigHead posted:

What's the name of the restaurant? I'm headed down to the Olympic peninsula in a few weeks and could use me some recommendation.

Next Door Gastropub in Port Angeles.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Sandwiches where the filling is made up of sandwich enclosure material just strike me as very sad.

We're talking about the country that has sandwiches made from bread, with toasted bread in the middle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Polyseme posted:

It's leftover Vegan Chick'n & Dumplings with Oyster Mushrooms & Green Beans, and Cottage Cheese. Before the derail restarts, it's from Purple Carrot, and it's just soup with dumplings.

I looked this place up since I've never heard of them, they have... mixed reviews at best.

You know how long onions last? I've left them on the counter for months, this place is apparently over $20 a meal for a meal kit. Lots of complaints of spoiled food and no customer service.

Here's a positive review, mmmm, a bunch of chopped peppers, what a hearty and delicious vegan meal!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like blood pudding, or some other sort of sausage.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That burg looks fantastic that's a form factor that doesn't need the sauce smear though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Get'cher clam juice! Boiling hot, Texas-style clam juice!

I wonder why hot chocolate is their favorite, with all those other delectable options?

angerbeet posted:

Things in meat

Is that crab rangoon? I would eat almost anything encased in crab rangoon.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I've seen a couple youtubes on it but nothing scholarly; our fry sizes are larger. You'd be hard pressed to get a meal at a restaurant for under 1000 calories in america, dunno about other places. The least caloric item on Bob Evans menu other than like an egg is the cup of sausage gravy.

Anecdotally, after spending a month abroad a few years back my craving for a large meal was enough that I got two kabob wraps for one meal which had the guy taking orders double take.

E: you don't become the second fattest non-island nation in the world by not eating a poo poo ton.

"Non-American" is a little too vague, I've had kabobs in Scotland that completely filled a takeout container, just a soggy pita loaded with what must be a full pound of meat.

Chinese food places seemed to have similar portions.

Norway seems to generally have more reasonable portions outside of the touristy areas.

And obviously it varies by restaurant and cuisine and whatnot.

Maybe it's more comparable if you compare McD's or something?

Either way I like decent size portions at restaurants, I'm a huge active dude, so 3000 calories is a reasonable amount for me to eat in a day.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the us is special with regards to putting sugar on everything, but actually doesnt hit very hard with regards to putting fat and oil on things

I mean, not compared to SK.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Big L to US McDonald's for not having the large drink beer a liter of cola.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've been to an Indian place a number of times that had a specialty exotic meat menu. Kangaroo curry is awesome. They also had cobra and bear and a few other odd meats.

I just looked them up, looks like they've dropped the exotic meats and added a bunch of generic chip shop/kebab shop style dishes, sad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Why have I never felt such a strong urge to consume an entire dish by unhinging my jaw and letting it slide down my throat?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

*the one good thing that came out of the final lovely unpaid internship I had gotten stuck with as part of a program for special needs people I had gotten signed up for unwillingly after graduating high school(as I was still a minor) that was essentially me being forced to do unpaid labor for a whole year of my life(only reason I didn't quit the moment I turned 18 was because they were holding my High School Diploma hostage)

What the gently caress? That's insane.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

One of my favorite things about travelling in the UK is the abundance of pubs where for £10 you can get a decent meal and a pint. Usually fish, burgers, various sandwiches, a massive amount of brown things, or disgusting gammon steak, but almost always with your choice of some form of potatoes and peas as a side, mushy or fresh a nice pile of peas is great when you're traveling and not getting as many vegetables as you're used to.

E:

Sit down, use the Wifi, maybe have another pint and a couple ludicrously tiny and well metered shots of whiskey. It's a great break, and most of those places won't hassle you out like they would in the US, it's like coffee shops here with an actual meal and booze.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Mar 24, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Good news, I just came here to post this recipe with an absurdly long introduction, in the style of "after the events of 9/11"

Do you want a full virtual tour of a North English town prior to your recipe for authentic mushy peas?

Well you're in luck!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh, how could I forget the staple of British cuisine, a "curry" that's just beef stew with a bottle of curry powder dumped in? Doesn't taste terrible, does not taste like Indian or Thai curries.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

:ok:

Did you have a problem you'd like to explain to the class about people using things differently or is this just being mad about things. There's a lot to be potentially mad about, colonization, appropriation, etc. but you're just kind of hanging a wet sock out of the window here.

Ah yes, "doesn't taste terrible" the most scathing of insults towards British Cuisine, that I was only able to dream up after hours of rage-intensified introspection.

E: I was directing all my internalized criticism and rage at the British colonization of India, and the follow-on issues it's caused, like the ongoing conflict in Kashmir, at that first post where I said that the ubiquitous British pub fair known as curry was just ok, and surprising to someone who grew up with Thai and Indian dishes being synonymous with the term "Curry." I offer my deepest apologies.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Mar 24, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Schubalts posted:

How is the bun that wet when it wasn't in an enclosed package?

If you bake things coated in butter they become forever moist and shiny.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

angerbeet posted:

Interpretation can taste nice without regard to the initial intention of the original dish. Curry chips is obviously not an original imitation of aloo matar.

:psyduck:

You are reading so much into that post.

Here is a delicious dish that was made through cultural fusion, Seattle-style Teriyaki, nothing like the original Japanese dish, but full of savory, sweet, and umami flavors it's one of my favorite things in the world. It's hard to find a "proper" rendition outside the US's West Coast.

Always served with the same, sad side salad, mostly iceberg lettuce with a hint of cabbage and carrot shredded on top, in a nice ginger dressing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

That really sucks. Finding a truly good place among all of them, that you really like, then having it close hurts. :smith:

There was this little grungy rear end shop down on 15th right before it turns into Elliot, I spent a summer wiring this huge warehouse into recording studios and my dad and I would get Teryaki burgers there every day for lunch, they were like $5, and the perfect combination of sauce, meat, veggies, and bread.

They closed down, and I've had a small hole in my heart ever since.

CleverHans posted:

That would be the FDA, which regulates all foods except meat, poultry and egg products, which fall under the USDA.*

*mostly**

**it's tricky

It's insane, my GF is a food safety and quality manager, and it's so bizarre I can't fully follow it.

Buy eggs at the supermarket? Farm to consumer related by USDA.

Buy pre packaged egg products like a carton of egg, or packaged hard boiled eggs? Regulated by the USDA, until they're packaged, which is FDA.

Get a salad with a hardboiled egg at Starbucks? That egg is regulated by the USDA to the FDA monitored bulk cooking facility, and then turned back over to the USDA as soon as it hits the salad.

This thread likes to talk about rules for things like pizza and sandwiches, but the government has sandwich laws

Open faced sandwich? USDA

Slap a second slice of bread on there? Better hope you're an FDA certified plant now.

Take those fillings and put them in a wrap instead? Back to USDA oversight.

It all has to do with the ratio of meat to bread.

The USDA is way stricter at enforcing compliance with food safety rules, btw.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I was late to work this morning because I ordered pad se ew last night, extra hot.

They were not loving around with that "extra hot"

Or the amount of oil they used.

They also used skinny rice noodles, like filthy heathens.

And it gave me the shits so bad.

they were really nice and called and told me they were out of wide rice noodles, and would regular be okay? It does really gently caress with the dish, texturally, and how the sauce adheres to the noodles, but that's fine