Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

angerbeet posted:

I have nothing against mayonnaise but this ain't mayo

I didn't realize there was fake mayo worse than Miracle Whip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

angerbeet posted:

It really makes you appreciate the advancements in food photographing because that ?meat? and those eggs look as dry as the Sahara.

oh poo poo... I should post pictures from Modern French Culinary Art. a lot of it is really soigne, but the photography is 50s or 60s, so....

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

drrockso20 posted:

I mean I've been stabbed by a spoon before so from my perspective at least pretty much anything in a kitchen can easily become a lethal weapon with enough force and/or imagination applied in their use

I see you've played knifey-spoony before

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

My Lovely Horse posted:

This from the country where a salad is a whipped cream gelatin dessert with candy bars.

that's as far as I can tell a largely Midwestern-exclusive use of the word, and by and large their cuisine is to be mocked from a safe distance.

the gelatin salad is the worst salad, but this is the Wurstsalat :razz:

https://www.daringgourmet.com/swiss-wurstsalat-sausage-salad/

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Didn't realize that poke being a salad was a controversial opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MCSsVvlj6YA

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Dixville posted:

This reminded me in the south they make poke salad. Made with pokeweed which is actually poisonous if not prepared correctly! Here's the grossest pic I could find of it. I think it's kind of a modified version with eggs and other stuff added.

it's got to be boiled thrice, with a change of water each time, or it's toxic. it's one of the first edible green things that grow wild every spring, but it's a subsistence food.

I have an acquaintance who holds some really woo beliefs. while she was communing with nature in a local park, she dug up and ate part of a raw poke root, and ended up spending a week in the hospital.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the word salad comes from herba salata, "salted greens" in late Latin. it originally meant what purists are talking about, but like the word pudding, it's come to mean other stuff.

my favorite weird example is a true salade niçoise, which is just tomatoes and anchovies, nothing else.

bonus etymology: lettuce means milky, bc of the white stuff that comes out when you break or cut it (not that this happens with most supermarket lettuces)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Potato salad
Tuna salad
Chicken salad
Pasta salad

These are not crazy obscure dishes to anyone but goons being performatively weird about mayonnaise

I think the issue might be the use of salad by itself.

"I'm going to have a salad for lunch" (in American English) implies green stuff, rather than a bowl of (eg) tuna with mayo.

all these other things are salads, but wouldn't be referred to as just salad without the appropriate modifier. kind of like how we say pickles to mean pickled cucumbers and not eg pickled eggs.

other languages might not have that connotation.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

InediblePenguin posted:

"salad" (earlier, "sallet") as "a bunch of poo poo mixed together" as a definition PRE-DATES the concept of salad as meaning lettuce in a bowl by several hundred years, so the "redefinition" is actually the one you're defending, not the one you're arguing against

the word salad comes from herba ensalata, salted greens: lettuce in a bowl. it was redefined to mean "a bunch of poo poo mixed together."

etymology bingo isn't going to solve this, though.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Whooping Crabs posted:

this is what happens when you break boil's law

boilslaw is hot!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Some Goon posted:

sousing vide.

yesssssss

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'll post a few pics from this:

which is the second most gallic book I've ever read after this:

a lot of this stuff is just mildly odd, or the photo makes it look off, or both, viz:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

GnuUzir posted:

Pretty sure 3 hams would kill him.

three hams will thrill him

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I see that someone has done the needful

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sweeperbravo posted:

Also, when did the "receipts"/"recipes" etymology lines converge or diverge? My parents have a huge binder which in one of their handwritings reads "Receipts" and for the longest time as a kid I thought they were just being really thorough at documenting their purchases. The binder was started in the 80s or 90s. I'm also wondering about the pronunciation of "receipts," is "recipes" just a simplified form you're meant to pronounce as "re-seeps", and then it got blundered back the other way to sound fancier/more proper by pronouncing the final e?

the p was apparently reinserted into receipts hundreds of years ago, but we didn't change pronunciation.

there's a neat essay on the words here:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/recipe-vs-receipt-usage-word-history

Garner's Modern English Usage has nothing about receipt/recipe, which is odd given how obscure he gets with other debates

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

Could you not just load your food into a caulking gun if you want to do that?

gotta be more careful if you do that. nobody wants caulk in their mouth.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
puts me vaguely in mind of the Salad Shooter

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

MariusLecter posted:

Carrot bacon.

daaaaamn

here, take a look at some 25-year-old pickled okra

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

LeastActionHero posted:

Amazingly enough, Americans are actually using entree correctly in the traditional French way. Entree is short for entree de table and look it's really long and dumb but basically Americans copied the French, who were already like 5 steps removed from the literal "entrance" meaning, and it's only in the last century that the French finally gave up and dumbed down their own terminology.

here's a bit on it from Modern French Culinary Art:

... which reminds me that I need to post more pictures of incredibly carefully prepared French food that looks like poo poo bc photography

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Paladinus posted:

crushed nuts

cheese and beet torture

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Buttchocks posted:

This looks more like duck or pork.

new game: duck, marry, pork

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

Ok smarty pants scientist, where do snozzberries fit in?

the snozzberries taste like snozzberries

this is botany 101

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

I couldn't find it, but I knew it was on its way

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
if you've got a food processor, you can make bread dough in about 30 seconds.

kind of an expensive if, though

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
California Pizza Kitchen Executive: holy gently caress do I hate washing two separate dishes

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I find it telling that the Japanese adopted fried food and sweet white bread from the Portuguese and absolutely nothing else (I'm sure this is not true)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
HAM Roll Up is my favorite No Limit song

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I can't remember if this was the thread with the garlic in tomato sauce derail, but I read somewhere that Italians in general associate garlic with poor-people food and it's largely avoided in contemporary Italian cuisine.

meanwhile, Italian immigrants to America were the poor people in question, so etc.

here's a more nuanced and researched look into things:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/food-trends/the-pungent-debate-of-using-garlic-in-cooking/article21538724/

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

these are really good served cold in/as some sort of salad.

the name sounds like a French person saying "le sewer" and it means sweat

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Polyseme posted:

I asked for "beige for goons" and my partner delivered:

Bonus points if you can guess everything.

newborn clownfish

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

in oh tyol 1956 let's say my grandmother asked my father if he liked olive loaf. he said sure, he liked it fine.

she made his entire year's worth of school lunch sandwiches and put them in the freezer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Kerrygold is even better than the local grass-fed butter I can get. the controls they've got in place (no silage and only making butter from milk during warm months, iirc) are all it takes to completely blow away even similarly priced butter here in the US. they don't even culture it. it's just loving amazing on its own, compared to what we can get

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Samovar posted:

I've heard of eating rear end, but this is ridiculous!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Aardvark! posted:

life hack: buy one of these and you can butter your sandwiches with ease

I realize that you're going to find this difficult to believe, but that is not butter

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'd leave out the coriander, nutmeg, and syrup to get a more standard sausage, but that looks perfect. pork shoulder is a good cut for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Code Jockey posted:

I am 38 years old, I am college educated, I have traveled to multiple countries and have enjoyed a broad range of food both home and abroad, and have prepared many dishes myself, ranging from the boring to the exotic, simple to complex.

Until this moment I have never thought to put cream cheese on toast. I've done it on toasted bagels plenty of times, but it just never occurred to me to put it on regular toast.

I'm glad I'm sitting down. I feel like the trajectory of my life has changed, and I need a moment.

my ex was flabbergasted, even somewhat offended, that my family puts butter and cream cheese on English muffins, so you're not alone